Hundreds of years before Jesus was born on earth the word of God says this about Jesus. Isaiah 9:6-7

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hundreds of years before Jesus was born on earth the word of God says this about Jesus. Isaiah 9:6-7
For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. — Isaiah 9:6-7

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. — Isaiah 9:6-7
Amen. The prophet Isaiah spelled it out in his prophecy. Happy Christmas @GISMYS_7

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. — Isaiah 9:6-7

I would offer some expansion on this in reference to what Jesus said about himself and God. Jesus was never called most of these titles, including Mighty God and Everlasting Father, and he denied both. I believe the Isaiah 9:6,7 passage you quoted carries a different meaning than the way it is typically translated.

Matt 23
9And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.

Mark 10
18And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would offer some expansion on this in reference to what Jesus said about himself and God. Jesus was never called most of these titles, including Mighty God and Everlasting Father, and he denied both. I believe the Isaiah 9:6,7 passage you quoted carries a different meaning than the way it is typically translated.

Matt 23
9And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.

Mark 10
18And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.

The Leeser Bible translates it:

“Wonderful, counsellor of the mighty God, of the everlasting Father, the prince of peace”

Also, An American Translation (by trinitarians Smith and Goodspeed) says:
"Wonderful counselor is God almighty, Father forever, Prince of peace."

From the Is. 9:6 footnote in the trinity-supporting NET Bible:

".... some have suggested that one to three of the titles that follow ['called'] refer to God, not the king. For example, the traditional punctuation of the Hebrew text suggests the translation, 'and the Extraordinary Strategist, the Mighty God calls his name, "Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."'"

And,

‘Wonderful in counsel is God the mighty, the Everlasting Father, the Ruler of Peace’ (Hertz 1968).

And the Tanakh by the JPS, 1985, translates it:

"The Mighty God is planning grace;
The Eternal Father [is] a peaceable ruler."

Of course, it could also be honestly translated: "Wonderful Counselor and Mighty God is the Eternal Father of the Prince of Peace."

Last edited:

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, it could also be honestly translated: "Wonderful Counselor and Mighty God is the Eternal Father of the Prince of Peace."
If this is accurate then I could easily accept this. It seems to fit well with the rest of scripture.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This prophecy about Jesus is just one of many in the OT. As somebody once put it, 'What is in the Old concealed is in the New revealed.' And Jesus Himself in the temple in front of many people declared that He fulfilled the prophecies.

Luke 4:18-21
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.”
Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

Which fulfilled this prophecy in Isaiah:

Isaiah 61:1-2

The Year of the Lord’s Favour

61 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,