I am concerned about my eternal salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jason1910

Sep 3, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please read the whole thing before commenting:

When I was 14, I first heard about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. I never gave it much thought until later kept on thinking about it. I looked up the verses and it spoke about what the pharisees said about Jesus Christ. I kept having these thoughts in my head and I didn't want to really do it. It sucks badly. One day, I was having these thoughts and I had some doubts and I actually believed one of these blasphemous thoughts about what the pharisees said about Jesus's miracles when they accused him of demonic power and I tried to rebuke it from my heart but it was too late. I tried to come to Christ and repent several times but nothing happened. No heart conversion or conviction of my wrongdoings. I hate myself. I just wished that I never heard about the unpardonable sin. It seems too late and I don't know what to do next.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I was 14, I first heard about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. I never gave it much thought until later kept on thinking about it. I looked up the verses and it spoke about what the pharisees said about Jesus Christ. I kept having these thoughts in my head and I didn't want to really do it. It sucks badly. One day, I was having these thoughts and I had some doubts and I actually believed one of these blasphemous thoughts about what the pharisees said about Jesus's miracles when they accused him of demonic power and I tried to rebuke it from my heart but it was too late. I tried to come to Christ and repent several times but nothing happened. No heart conversion or conviction of my wrongdoings. I hate myself. I just wished that I never heard about the unpardonable sin. It seems too late and I don't know what to do next.

You haven't committed the unpardonable sin! If you had you would not be concerned over it. The proof is that you are concerned about your salvation.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is embarrassing the Holy Spirit in one form or another. In the case of the Pharisees, they rejected the power of the Holy Spirit claiming Christ cast out demons by the power of Satan. It was the Holy Spirit that cast out the demons.

Anyone who desires to come to Christ can come to Christ. The blasphemers of the Holy Spirit will never desire to come to Christ, they are doomed. You have a desire to come to Christ, whether a backslider or unsaved at the moment, the door is open for you!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

This post seems very familiar, where else have you posted?

You have said you are a Christian, so what did your minister say when you raised this issue with him.

Basic Christianity, If you have already been forgiven of a sin you committed as a young teenager, then you cannot keep asking for forgiveness for that forgiven sin.

Adivse. read 1John1:9 about God forgiving us our sins and to trust God, then live as a Christian, taking the 10 commandments seriously and bein regular in your attendance in the same church each and every Sunday.

Reactions: shortangel

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

A born again person, can't commit the unpardonable sin, can't commit this "blasphemy" and i'll explain why.......

but first..

You have to be born again., or you ARE committing it right now.

Let me say that again...If you are not born again, then you are currently committing the unpardonable sin, you are blaspheming the Holy Spirit, and you're not dead yet.

Here is the explanation.....

The Un-Pardonable-Sin......is one sin. And its the only sin that a person is judged for committing, = after they die.
This is "damnation" and all unbelievers are currently damned, right now, while they are breathing.

Revelation 20:11 is FOR these people who have committed that ONE SIN, and DIED.

Notice this verse.. John 3:36 .See that? They are committing the unpardonable sin.

Notice this verse.. Hebrews 10:26 ..See that ? They are committing the unpardonable sin.

So, how do you commit this sin, which is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, in ONE Specific way that is "unpardonable".
All you have to do, is die a Christ Rejector, never born again... as that blasphemes the Holy Spirit and you end up UN-Pardoned in eternity, which is to be un-forgiven.
So, to DIE unforgiven, is to die "UN-Pardoned".... = THE Unpardonable SIN........its that one... Its to die a Christ Rejector, having never been born again.

So, if you have been born again, you can't blaspheme the Holy Spirit that way, as you are already forgiven, having believed in Christ, Already.
You die a Son/Daughter of God............not as a Christ Rejector.

IF you die having never trusted in Christ, never born again, you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit, you have committed the ONE SIN , THE UN-Pardonable SIN...= that can't be forgiven after you die, and you will go to hell for that one.....just that one.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

This is something my husband used to worry about when we were new Christians. If you are born again you will not blaspheme the Holy Spirit. But if you are not born again you are separated from God but you can be reconciled to him if it is your sincere desire to be so.

You say you have had these bad thoughts but I suspect you are not alone in that because it is that little evil voice of the enemy who puts these thoughts in our minds. Just rebuke it and confess to God your desire to be born again and let his Spirit move in you. Not everybody has those dramatic feelings after they have repented and turned to Jesus, we are all individual and so have our own personal experience.

Oh and by the way not everyone on this site who claims to be a Christian is born again. There are many members of cults with different viewpoints to what the bile teaches - JWs and Catholics mainly - so take care what or who you believe.

Reactions: Nancy

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

blasphemy: Blasphemy, βλασφημια [G988], either from βλαπειν [G984], την φημην, to hurt, or blast the reputation, or from βαλλειν [G906], ταις φημαις, to smite with words, or reports, when applied to men denotes injurious speaking, or calumny, and when used in reference to God signifies speaking impiously of his nature, attributes, and works.
but: Mar_3:28-30; Luk_12:10; Act_7:51; 1Jn_5:16

Blasphemy
BLAS'PHEMY, n. An indignity offered to God by words or writing; reproachful, contemptuous or irreverent words uttered impiously against Jehovah.
Blasphemy is an injury offered to God, by denying that which is due and belonging to him, or attributing to him that which is not agreeable to his nature.
In the middle ages, blasphemy was used to denote simply the blaming or condemning of a person or thing. Among the Greeks, to blaspheme was to use words of ill omen, which they were careful to avoid.
1. That which derogates from the prerogatives of God. Mark 2.
Webster

My concern is whether you are born from above or not

BLASPHEMY:
By: Kaufmann Kohler, David Werner Amram
Evil or profane speaking of God. The essence of the crime consists in the impious purpose in using the words, and does not necessarily include the performance of any desecrating act.

The Jewish law is based on the case of the blasphemer, one of the mixed multitude that went out of Egypt with the children of Israel (Lev. xxiv. 10-23). He blasphemed the name of the Lord and cursed; was sentenced to be taken without the camp; and it was decreed that all who heard him should lay their hands upon his head, and that all the congregation should stone him. The judgment in his case was formulated in a general law in verses 15 and 16.

The term "we-noḳeb shem Yhwh," used in verse 16 ("And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord," A. V.), does not seem to signify that the mere pronunciation of the Ineffable Name was considered blasphemy, but that it was blasphemous to curse or revile the same. The later law, however, took the word "noḳeb" in the sense of "pronouncing," and declared that the Ineffable Name must have been pronounced before the offender could be subjected to the punishment provided by the Law.

Both the lawgiver and the prophets speak of the blasphemer of God and of the king. To revile the king, who was God's representative, was apparently considered a species of blasphemy (Ex. xxii. 27; Isa. viii. 21). This is furthermore shown in the case of Naboth, the indictment against him being: "Thou didst blaspheme God and the king" (I Kings xxi. 10). Beyond the reference to cursing in the text of Leviticus, there is nothing in the Biblical laws to indicate what constitutes the crime, and nothing to show that, to prove blasphemy, it was required to prove that the blasphemer had uttered the name of God. The Mishnah, however, laying stress on the term "noḳeb," declares that the blasphemer is not guilty unless he pronounce the name of God (Mishnah Sanh. vii. 5). The Gemara goes further and extends the crime to an impious use of any words which indicate the sacred attributes of God, such as "The Holy One" or "The Merciful One." As long as the Jewish courts exercised criminal jurisdiction, the death penalty was inflicted only upon the blasphemer who used the Ineffable Name; but the blasphemer of God's attributes was subjected to corporal punishment (Sanh. 56a). According to Talmudic tradition, the Sacred Name was in early times known to all; but later its use was restricted (Ḳid. 71a; see Adonai; God, Names of).

Even in taking testimony during the trial of a blasphemer, the witnesses who heard the blasphemy were not permitted to repeat the very words, but an arbitrary phrase was adopted to indicate the blasphemy. Thus, R. Joshua ben Ḳarḥah said: "Throughout the examination of the witnesses, 'Yosé' should be used for Yhwh, and they should say, 'Yosé shall strike Yosé,' to indicate the blasphemy" (Mishnah Sanh. ib.). At the conclusion of the trial sentence of death could not be passed by such testimony only, and it thus became necessary for one of the witnesses to use once the very words which they had heard. The court directed all persons not immediately concerned in the trial to be removed, and the chief witness was then addressed thus: "State literally what you heard"; and when he repeated the blasphemous words the judges stood up and rent their garments, that being the common sign of mourning. And the rents were not sewed up again, indicating the profound degree of the mourning. After the first witness had thus testified, the second and the following witnesses were not called on to repeat the identical words; but were obliged to say, "I also heard it thus" (Mishnah Sanh. ib.).

The text of the law in Leviticus provides that the stranger, as well as the native born, is liable to punishment for blasphemy. Talmudic tradition states that blasphemy was one of the seven crimes prohibited to the Noahides (Sanh. 56a), i.e., according to natural law. Although, according to Jewish law, a Jew who blasphemed a heathen deity was not guilty of the crime of blasphemy, Josephus ("Ant." iv. 8, § 10, after Philo, "Vita Mosis," 26; ed. Mangey, ii. 166) to the contrary notwithstanding, yet a heathen might be guilty if he blasphemed the name of the Lord (Baraita Sanh. 56a). The crime of the heathen blasphemer, though subjecting him to the penalty of death, did not oblige the Jewish by-standers to rend their garments. The Talmud bases the custom of rending the garments in such cases upon the Biblical precedent in II Kings xviii. 37), where Eliakim and others rent their garments when they heard the blasphemy of Rab-shakeh; and in order to bring this view into harmony with the practise requiring the rending of garments only on hearing a blasphemy by a Jew, the Talmud states that Rab-shakeh was an apostate Jew (Sanh. 60a).

According to R. Ḥiyya, the rending of garments was no longer required after the fall of the Temple ("He who hears blasphemy nowadays is not obliged to rend his garments, because otherwise his garments would be nothing but tatters," Sanh. ib.); for the criminal jurisdiction of the Jewish courts had ceased, and the fear of death no longer deterred the blasphemers. The later law, however, restored the practise of rending the garments. In an opinion rendered by Gaon Rab Amram ("Teshubot Geone Mizraḥ Uma'arab," collected by Joel Müller, No. 103) he says, "He who hears his neighbor blaspheme must excommunicate him in these days, no matter what language was used. This is the practise of the pious. It is not necessary that the blasphemy be in Hebrew, and it makes no difference whether the Ineffable Name or the attributes of God be mentioned, whether the offender be a Jew or a non-Jew, whether the language be Hebrew or any other. These distinctions were made to distinguish the capital crime from the lesser offense; but for purposes of excommunication, it makes no difference whether the blasphemer be a heathen or a Jew, whether heuse the Sacred Name or the attributes, nor what language he uses; he must be excommunicated." And this opinion is, with slight modification, repeated in the Yoreh De'ah (340, 37) as follows: "He who hears the Name blasphemed, or even an attribute of God, such as 'The Forgiving One,' 'The Merciful One,' etc., even if pronounced in a foreign language, must rend his garments, provided he hear it from an Israelite (and an apostate is in these days considered a heathen); and even if he hear it from the mouth of the witness stating how the blasphemer blasphemed. But the witnesses testifying in court need not rend their garments again, having once done so when they first heard the blasphemy."

The excommunication of the blasphemer was substituted as a punishment for the death penalty (see Excommunication), rendering it unnecessary for the witnesses to repeat the identical words of the blasphemy, as this was required only when the death penalty was inflicted (Pitḥe Teshubah to Yoreh De'ah, 340, 37). Abba Saul was of the opinion that, in addition to the punishment inflicted by human power, the blasphemer is also excluded from the life in the world to come ('Ab. Zarah 18a). See Sacrilege; Shem ha-Meforash; Unbelief.

Bibliography:
Mayer, Die Rechte der Israeliten, Athener und Römer, iii. 415;
Saalschütz, Das Mosaische Recht, pp. 494 et seq.

Kaufmann Kohler - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
blasphemy: Blasphemy, βλασφημια [G988], either from βλαπειν [G984], την φημην, to hurt, or blast the reputation, or from βαλλειν [G906], ταις φημαις, to smite with words, or reports, when applied to men denotes injurious speaking, or calumny, and when used in reference to God signifies speaking impiously of his nature, attributes, and works.
but: Mar_3:28-30; Luk_12:10; Act_7:51; 1Jn_5:16

Blasphemy
BLAS'PHEMY, n. An indignity offered to God by words or writing; reproachful, contemptuous or irreverent words uttered impiously against Jehovah.
Blasphemy is an injury offered to God, by denying that which is due and belonging to him, or attributing to him that which is not agreeable to his nature.
In the middle ages, blasphemy was used to denote simply the blaming or condemning of a person or thing. Among the Greeks, to blaspheme was to use words of ill omen, which they were careful to avoid.
1. That which derogates from the prerogatives of God. Mark 2.
Webster

My concern is whether you are born from above or not

Lev 24:10 Now the son of an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father went out among the Israelites, and a fight broke out in the camp between him and an Israelite.
Lev 24:11 The son of the Israelite woman blasphemed the Name with a curse. So they brought him to Moses. (His mother’s name was Shelomith daughter of Dibri, of the tribe of Dan.)
Lev 24:12 They placed him in custody until the will of the LORD should be made clear to them.
Lev 24:13 Then the LORD said to Moses,
Lev 24:14 “Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and have all who heard him lay their hands on his head; then have the whole assembly stone him.

2Ch 32:15 So now, do not let Hezekiah deceive you, and do not let him mislead you like this. Do not believe him, for no god of any nation or kingdom has been able to deliver his people from my hand or from the hand of my fathers. How much less will your God deliver you from my hand!”
2Ch 32:16 And the servants of Sennacherib spoke further against the LORD God and against His servant Hezekiah.
2Ch 32:17 He also wrote letters mocking the LORD, the God of Israel, and saying against Him: “Just as the gods of the nations did not deliver their people from my hand, so the God of Hezekiah will not deliver His people from my hand.”
2Ch 32:18 Then the Assyrians called out loudly in Hebrew to the people of Jerusalem who were on the wall, to frighten and terrify them in order to capture the city.
2Ch 32:19 They spoke against the God of Jerusalem as they had spoken against the gods of the peoples of the earth—the work of human hands.

Isa 65:6 Behold, it is written before Me: I will not keep silent, but I will repay; I will pay it back into their laps,
Isa 65:7 both for your iniquities and for those of your fathers,” says the LORD. “Because they burned incense on the mountains and scorned Me on the hills, I will measure into their laps full payment for their former deeds.”
Isa 65:8 This is what the LORD says: “As the new wine is found in a cluster of grapes, and men say, ‘Do not destroy it, for it contains a blessing,’ so I will act on behalf of My servants; I will not destroy them all.
Isa 65:9 And I will bring forth descendants from Jacob, and heirs from Judah; My elect will possess My mountains, and My servants will dwell there.

Dan 7:24 And the ten horns are ten kings who will rise from this kingdom. After them another king, different from the earlier ones, will rise and subdue three kings.
Dan 7:25 He will speak out against the Most High and oppress the saints of the Most High, intending to change the appointed times and laws; and the saints will be given into his hand for a time, and times, and half a time.
Dan 7:26 But the court will convene, and his dominion will be taken away and completely destroyed forever.

Act 13:45 But when the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy, and they blasphemously contradicted what Paul was saying.
Act 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: “It was necessary to speak the word of God to you first. But since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles.
Act 13:47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us: ‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, to bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’”
Act 13:48 When the Gentiles heard this, they rejoiced and glorified the word of the Lord, and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

Act 18:5 And when Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul devoted himself fully to the word, testifying to the Jews that Jesus is the Christ.
Act 18:6 But when they opposed and insulted him, he shook out his garments and told them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent of it. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.”

1Ti 1:19 holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and thereby shipwrecked their faith.
1Ti 1:20 Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.

Jas 2:5 Listen, my beloved brothers: Has not God chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom He promised those who love Him?
Jas 2:6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who oppress you and drag you into court?
Jas 2:7 Are they not the ones who blaspheme the noble name by which you have been called?
Jas 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law stated in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.

Rev 13:1 Then I saw a beast with ten horns and seven heads rising out of the sea. There were ten royal crowns on its horns and blasphemous names on its heads.

Rev 16:10 And the fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and its kingdom was plunged into darkness, and men began to gnaw their tongues in anguish
Rev 16:11 and curse the God of heaven for their pains and sores; yet they did not repent of their deeds.

You are in safe hands

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..I had some doubts and I actually believed one of these blasphemous thoughts about what the pharisees said about Jesus's miracles when they accused him of demonic power..

Jesus went around doing good by curing people, there's nothing satanic about that but the assorted jewish priestly classes and pharisees hated him and were in Satan's grip so of course they'd try to badmouth him.
They're all going up the spout so pay them no attention..:)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

These are intrusive thoughts and they happen to a lot of people. We think the things we don't want to think and we obsess over them.

I really came to a point where the best thing I could do was realize God already knows what's on my heart and he knows the truth of what I believe, and I can stand on that, I believe you can too.

Reactions: Azim and Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
These are intrusive thoughts and they happen to a lot of people. We think the things we don't want to think and we obsess over them.

I really came to a point where the best thing I could do was realize God already knows what's on my heart and he knows the truth of what I believe, and I can stand on that, I believe you can too.
@LadyofFireandLace Hebrews 12:2 and Philippians 4:8 come to mind about the way we use our minds........

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

@Jason1910 I doubt very much that you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit however, I do recognize the driving spirit that is within you. That spirit that is trying to convince you that you are doomed and without hope. You are not doomed nor are you without hope but you may need some counseling and deliverance to deal with those [talking heads]

I will pray for God's divine intervention, that he send a mighty man of God on your path to help you. :pray:

Blessings and Peace!

Reactions: Johann