I don't know where to start my journey, but I am excited to embrace it

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Charley,

Many people have been followers of Jesus, and left, then come back again, so you're not alone in how your life has unfolded so far. Congrats on having the desire to become a follower of Jesus again!

I'd say the first step is praying to and asking Jesus to forgive your sins, to be your savior, possiby apologize for wandering off from Him, and to thank Him for His unconditional love and acceptance of you to Him. Jesus gave a parable regarding a wandering sheep: Matthew 18:10-14 "10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven. 11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. 12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? 13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. 14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish."

As a second step, I'd say, is to start reading the Bible, on your own. Since we are under the new covenant now, which is the New Testament, start there perhaps - Matthew through Revelation (my belief is that most of Revelation, from about chapter 5 or 6 onwards, is future prophecy to be fulfilled soon, so it has relevance to today's events in the world). The NT is filled with teachings on how Jesus wants us to be, how to think, how to behave, etc. Once you have a foundation for Jesus' teachings, based upon scripture, then check out the Old Testament, to better understand God prior to sending Jesus to save us from our sins, and why Jesus' sacrifice was necessary.

I'd say it's extremely important to be able to provide scriptural references to verses when normal life occurs, such as when talking to people, daily life, etc.

From there, there is no limit to how you can grow in Christ Jesus.

As for church, I'd say don't worry about it, especially considering your ailments in life. Jesus knows you, and that's all that matters, and whose opinion counts. It isn't really anyone's place to question someone's faith, except for Jesus of course, although that usually doesn't stop those people from talking about you/others and their faith. Look to Jesus, and Jesus only - put not faith in mankind, but Jesus (that isn't to say to fellowship with other believers (and yes, this online community counts in my opionion) to help you grow in your knowledge of Jesus' teachings).

One last thing. If your husband is an atheist, you must be prepared to separate if he doesn't convert to Christianity at some point, whether that separation occurs in this life, or when you or he dies. If either one of you is not saved by Jesus, the result is not good, and is final - Hell/Lake of Fire. Hopefully you still choose Jesus knowing this possibility exists (obviously hopefully your husband becomes saved by Jesus too), and choose eternal life - it's a deeply personal decision that only you can make. That being said, I hope you can gain the information necessary to convert your husband at some point, even if little by little, through your words and how you conduct yourself in actions.

I hope your ailments are healed, both physical and mental anguish also. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions, or just need to talk and vent.

God Bless you, In Christ.

Reactions: Waiting on him

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
hello charley,
know you are loved and that any seeker who opens the door at the knock; any who are honest open and willing will be led by God's Spirit.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I dont but I asked another forum about me wanting to be reintroduced to the faith and I was spoken spoken down to, was told I cannot be a follower of faith unless I go to church and also that my health and mental health were just excuses not to go to church. I was made to feel very judged and rude;

"Why is it someone posts they have a problem, but they can't (or won't) leave the house in order to actually resolve their own problem.... and don't tell me you're an introvert. being an introvert is not a crippling problem nor is it a disease nor is it cause for sympathy towards you. I didn't go to church for 20-25 years. I stopped going a long time ago, and I just resumed. I have today been voted as sexton for my parish church."

Hello and welcome to Christianity Board, I saw this last night, but it was a bit late to post, but I just wanted to say there is nothing wrong with being an introvert, I am one myself too, one of the advantages is, is it's easier to practice the solitude of silence with the Holy Spirit (your one on one quiet time with the Lord Jesus Christ). And it's not right that others are trying to push you to become an extrovert, because the quiet people are really important in the Body of Christ.

On a separate note yes others a right about chances of a Christian marrying a non-Christian, while the Bible doesn't recommend it. I remember Paul saying something like if a Christian ever finds themselves in that situation (note this is speaking mainly about non-Christian marriages and one of the people in those turning to Jesus) that they should stay married to that person, because they might lead that other non-Christian to Jesus whether it be Husband or Wife.

If they are treating you badly, abusing you, or cheating on you, then that's a valid reason for divorce, and should get out if a marriage ever turns dangerous like that.

While I don't recommend marrying to a non-Christian because it's an unequal yoke, I just wanted to point out that the Bible also has something to say for those that do find themselves in that situation.

I understand that you are in a tricky situation, since you are in the close stages of getting married. But will be praying for the Salvation of your boyfriend.

Reactions: Nancy

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for sharing,
I did argue this ,not argue as such but put forward and had cleared the misunderstanding .

Its warming to know others are not church goers.wm
I don't want to be discouraging, but you really need to find a Bible-believing church and attend it regularly. 'Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some......' (Hebrews 10:25).
Also you need to count the cost of becoming a Christian. have a read of Luke 14:27-33.

I pray that God will lead you to Himself, but half-hearted Christianity is no Christianity at all.

Last edited:

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I dont but I asked another forum about me wanting to be reintroduced to the faith and I was spoken down to, was told I cannot be a follower of faith unless I go to church

That's nonsense, no church ever saved anyone... Salvation comes only through Christ, that's who you follow and that's where your faith belongs.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello , I go by Charley.
I'm looking to becoming a Christian again after almost 9 years of disbanding myself from being one. i used to go to church as a way of being closer to my now ex but i left after I found out he was cheating on me. All I felt was anger and pain which stopped me from going for a long time because it reminded me of him. After rebuilding my life and creating a better future for my self I now ready to embrace the journey once more.

I want to become a better Person and become a follower of jesus. However, my husband to be is a strong atheist as he believes in science. He doesn't really mind people having religious beliefs as long as they don't force it on people.

Edit- he knows I was a practicing Christian before we met and knows that I belie there is something out there and seems fine with it ...

I'm also unable to attend church as I am on bed rest. I have a hip,side/rib,stomach and spine problem where its painful for me to move most days. I am unable to walk much, I don't drive and cannot get to the bus stop to go to church (since it hurts a lot right now to walk).

Where should I start? Am I okay not to go ot church? (I was spoken down to by another Christian in another online forum, who basically said I can't be a Christian if I don't attend and also was horrible about me being an introvert, my health and dismissing my mental health too)

Oh, good heavens! I am probably the last guy you want to hear from! First off, I agree with Willie about your fiance. It's going to be difficult. But not impossible. There is a couple in my Church like that and it works out between them. My advice is that while it's not a good situation, it can work as long as you put God first. Your husband is second only to God. Treat him as your husband (as God says you should as a Christian, even if he isn't) but don't put him ahead of God. Who knows? You might win him over to God! The Bible speaks to that situation directly! If you are unaware of the verses, let me know.

Second, I am a big proponent of going to Church. Yet, there are circumstances out of your control. It's not physically possible for you to get to Church. I'm still going to urge you to search for a real Church and pray that God makes a way. Let God know you want that, and trust he will make a way.

In the mean time, be looking. Make something of an effort. My church broadcasts sermons online, and many others do as well. It's important to find one that's preaching the whole truth, but make some effort.

It's important to attend Church and be in the physical presence of others of like, precious faith. But if that is not possible, as in your situation, make an effort, even if it is listening online. Make contact. Let them and God know you are out there.

I believe it was a short man named Nicodemus who climbed a tree or something to be seen. He got a dinner date with the Lord. Figure out how to climb your tree!

There was also a blind man who just heard Jesus was coming. He cried out and they told him to be quiet. He cried louder and Jesus called for him. Cry out louder!

One of those two even cast off their garments... Can't remember which one. But be willing to do so also.

...And... Here you are! Already climbing your tree, crying out and casting off your garments! Just be patient.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think some are pretty quick to judge about going to a Church building, remembering the Church is not the building, (not everyone can get to a Church building anyway, and it's not even a requirement for Salvation either), but it's the followers of Jesus Christ that are the Church, the Body of Christ that is the Church.

And for people like her that are in a lot of pain, it would be good for some strong Christian members of the Church to even go and visit people like her, that need good Christian fellowship in there homes or somewhere easy to get and comfortable like the nearby coffee shop or something. I hope and pray she finds the right kind of good strong Christian people to fellowship with her, where ever it may be, perhaps it might even be a few of her relatives that might be strong Christians.

And in this day and age there is also Christian TV, and if you don't have the channels, then there is always streaming Christian TV online, or even youtubing Jesus stuff, and listening to Christian radio.

If the OP is still here, here is a good place to start, it links you to heaps of Christian radio and Christian TV channels and programs.

Home - Living Streams TV