"I don't want to love those people, God"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My in-laws are not low maintenance. They are needy and rather inconsiderate at times.

But my husband has been clearly told by God to love them sacrificially for the time being.

I feel the pull as well so I want to come alongside him and help.

Can I open my heart and do loving actions to these people I frankly don't enjoy?

I have asked God to help me love them as I love myself, to give, to serve, and to show them the undeserved kindness the good Lord has shown me.

Even though they are my Samaritans and Id rather it be anyone else, there is only one righteous option. To grumble and complain is not pleasing to the Lord.

So I surrender to God's kind ways. Its no good to sacrifice in ways the Lord has not ordained. I really want to do what the Lord wants. And as I pray my heart changes to be more like the Lord's. I give Him all credit for that.

So this is me saying each and every day, I will do my best for that day. I will take my thoughts captive and love them even in my thoughts. I will sacrifice for them like the Lord sacrificed for me. I didn't deserve that. And I believe the love of God is greater than any sin or stronghold in my in-laws lives. It is stronger than me and I trust in it with all my heart.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Can I open my heart and do loving actions to these people I frankly don't enjoy?

You need to see the situation with new eyes.

These....

Jesus said that when you help those in need, you are giving to Him.
So, see it like that and it will become easier to be helpful in situations like you are describing.

Reactions: Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to see the situation with new eyes.

These....

Jesus said that when you help those in need, you are giving to Him.
So, see it like that and it will become easier to be helpful in situations like you are describing.

Thank you. That is helpful!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My in-laws are not low maintenance. They are needy and rather inconsiderate at times.

But my husband has been clearly told by God to love them sacrificially for the time being.

I have asked God to help me love them as I love myself, to give, to serve, and to show them the undeserved kindness the good Lord has shown me.

Even though they are my Samaritans and Id rather it be anyone else, there is only one righteous option. To grumble and complain is not pleasing to the Lord.

So I surrender to God's kind ways. Its no good to sacrifice in ways the Lord has not ordained. I really want to do what the Lord wants. And as I pray my heart changes to be more like the Lord's. I give Him all credit for that.

So this is me saying each and every day, I will do my best for that day. I will take my thoughts captive and love them even in my thoughts. I will sacrifice for them like the Lord sacrificed for me. I didn't deserve that. And I believe the love of God is greater than any sin or stronghold in my in-laws lives. It is stronger than me and I trust in it with all my heart.

Perhaps you need to ask God to include your In-laws among those whom He will draw to Himself. This prayer only needs to be prayed once, and then by faith you will need to give thanks to the Lord for having heard your prayer and for actively working to fulfil your prayer.

This then means that you hand over the problems and issues you seem to be having within yourself and with your In-Laws and allowing God to Do His thing in His way and in His timing.

This is God's work to draw your In-laws to Himself. It is also God's work to work on our attitudes that are a hinderance in His process to drawing your In-Laws to Himself.

May God also keep you among those He is drawing to Himself as well.

Shalom

Reactions: Wynona

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Wynona!
A little over 5 years ago, I started to volunteer at a community center. We've all kinds of people (most are disadvantaged in some way), Some are sweet as pie and others are miserable as ever, loving to order the volunteers around and not so kindly. When first starting, I was having a hard time loving the "unlovable" ones as my instinct was to punch them in the throat :ummm: lol...so, I felt after awhile that I was just posing, acting, pretending to "love" them when I really did not. This is where answered prayer and real change came upon me as I prayed to have a genuine love for these folks. I now do although, there is one or two that I will avoid and let one of the guys there deal with them as they can be "grabby" too.
Thanks for sharing sister, you will be prayed for.

Reactions: Lambano and Wynona

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Love is not just a feeling it is a doing. So as Christians it is possible to love a person we dislike just by showing them love, being kind to them and treating them with respect.

A couple of years ago my son's partner prevented him from seeing their two-year-old and it was all very messy and she - the mum - was very nasty. As you can imagine it was something I prayed about constantly and at literally the eleventh hour on the day of the court hearing she submitted, and all was well. But as you can imagine, there was a lot of bad feeling towards her from my family and it was hard for me to forgive her but I did and began to treat her as if nothing had happened and now all is well and she is expecting another child.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You all are so great who have posted. Thank you so much!!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have we not read that God is love?????

What I like about the OP is:

my husband has been clearly told by God to love them

So what does that instruction mean, considering that God is love???????

Doesn't it just mean listen to love (God) and do what He asks you to do???

Of course it does, otherwise we go back to making ourselves God (love)

Prov 3:5-7 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.

It is actually evil and prideful if we start thinking that we are love so we go back to doing what we think we need to do. And in that above case it also becomes stressful, which is just hooking up with a spirit saying we can be like God by your own efforts. We remember that spirit, right? It's that snake of old!

Gen 3: 5 “For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

So the loving thing to do is always to do what love/God tells you. So when we hear that we need to love them, that just means we need to keep listening to love/Our Lord Jesus Christ who is the Word of God and God, and do what He asks. He guides your steps, if we care to listen to Him.

So maybe He tells you to go and do something for them, or maybe He doesn't. Just keep seek the Lord and doing what He asks and that is the loving thing to do, for them and others.

There is a verse or actually two:

Luke 11:13 “If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”

Mat 7:11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!

Yeah you, though evil, can perhaps figure out a good gift (only God is good so perhaps you can figure to get people to God), but how much more does the Father understand and give the gift of God? The Father gives us His Son, who is the Word of God because He speaks the words of God to us. So the question is; are we going to listen to our Lord for instructions of not?

It's easy, you just ask, "Jesus what do you need me to do now?" and listen in your heart for His words to you.

Is 30:21 Your ears will hear a word behind you, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever you turn to the right or to the left.