"I feel ugly"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

The world teaches young women to seek the perfect body, flaunt what you have, and fight for a youthful look.

When I was motivated to change my appearance to look good in the eyes of the world, I was never happy with how I looked. When I was thin, I was "too thin" and not curvy enough. More recently, I gained weight and complained about being too big.

But the devil has a standard of beauty and wants us to be on this constant merry-go-round of discontentment to chase it. As long as I was motivated even a little bit by this standard, I was unhappy.

Some people say that the answer is to simply love yourself more.

But what set me free was God's Word finally sinking in and trading self-awareness for God awareness.

For our own sake, God does not want His daughters consumed with their appearance. He wants us consumed with Him and doing good to our neighbors.

When I go out, I have a choice: do I focus on how I'm percieved or do I focus on representing Christ to people. It's impossible to do both. I must choose.

God sees our hearts and says we are worthy to be loved even if we never turn heads or fail to measure up. It's our inward self he wants us to be concerned about.

Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

The world teaches young women to seek the perfect body, flaunt what you have, and fight for a youthful look.

When I was motivated to change my appearance to look good in the eyes of the world, I was never happy with how I looked. When I was thin, I was "too thin" and not curvy enough. More recently, I gained weight and complained about being too big.

But the devil has a standard of beauty and wants us to be on this constant merry-go-round of discontentment to chase it. As long as I was motivated even a little bit by this standard, I was unhappy.

But what set me free was God's Word finally sinking in and trading self-awareness for God awareness.

For our own sake, God does not want His daughters consumed with their appearance. He wants us consumed with Him and doing good to our neighbors.

When I go out, I have a choice: do I focus on how I'm percieved or do I focus on representing Christ to people. It's impossible to do both. I must choose.

God sees our hearts and says we are worthy to be loved even if we never turn heads or fail to measure up. It's our inward self he wants us to be concerned about.

Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Hi @Wynona
Paul speaks of the "inner man" in Ephesians 3.

Having said that, my wife does not consider herself dressed if she goes out without 'putting on her face'.

Concentrating on the main aspect, without ignoring the other, right?

cc @Pearl

Reactions: Wynona and Pearl

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right about the evil marketing practices of the world being founded upon the devil's ways, he is our constant enemy as Christians.

The adversary is also called the accuser of the saints, and he does just that constantly. In our spiritual ears, he endlessly reminds us of our faults, our failures and all of our shortcomings. I too discovered that sometimes the only way I can free my mind from his assaults, especially those that torment us in the middle of the night, is to forget everything about myself, my past and my hopes and dreams and literally put my mind into the life of Jesus Christ and HIS accomplishments; His perfect, sinless life; His perfection, etc.

Immediately the stress begins to subside and I praise Jesus for all that He did in His lifetime, for His ability to avoid all sins and I say "Jesus, you did everything right. You avoided all of the painful sins and failures that I couldn't avoid. You lived a life of absolute perfection, completely void of anything that causes regret. You are amazing and I thank You that my life is hidden in Yours now."

It has been a blessing to discover this mental tactic when the enemy is accusing me in my mind to attack my confidence or my inner peace. This strategy came to me in a moment of desperate prayer to Jesus for help with a racing mind in the night and I have been able to successfully get back to sleep many times now and do things in life that caused me stress/anxiety. He is our power now, He is our redeemer. He always goes before us to any location we are headed, or into any situation we are uncertain of.
Deuteronomy 31:8

Praise the Lord and forget your self and all of your imperfect past, or current, situations. We reside in the secret place of the Most High, and Perfect, God - and are protected by His shadow and His feathery wings. He is our shield from all thoughts that are dark or evil. Nothing can take that away from us.
Psalm 91

God bless.

Last edited:

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right about the evil marketing practices of the world being founded upon the devil's ways, he is our constant enemy as Christians.

The adversary is also called the accuser of the saints, and he does just that constantly. In our spiritual ears, he endlessly reminds us of our faults, our failures and all of our shortcomings. I too discovered that sometimes the only way I can free my mind from his assaults, especially those that torment us in the middle of the night, is to forget everything about myself, my past and my hopes and dreams and literally put my mind into the life of Jesus Christ and HIS accomplishments; His perfect, sinless life; His perfection, etc.

Immediately the stress begins to subside and I praise Jesus for all that He did in His lifetime, for His ability to avoid all sins and I say "Jesus, you did everything right. You avoided all of the painful sins and failures that I couldn't avoid. You lived a life of absolute perfection, completely void of anything that causes regret. You are amazing and I thank You that my life is hidden in Yours now."

It has been a blessing to discover this mental tactic when the enemy is accusing me in my mind to attack my confidence or my inner peace. This strategy came to me in a moment of desperate prayer to Jesus for help with a racing mind in the night and I have been able to successfully get back to sleep many times now and do things in life that caused me stress/anxiety. He is our power now, He is our redeemer. He always goes before us to any location we are headed, or into any situation we are uncertain of.
Deuteronomy 31:8

Praise the Lord and forget yourself and all of your imperfect past or current situations. We reside in the secret place of the Most High and Perfect God and are protected by His shadow and His feathery wings. He is our shield from all thoughts that are dark or evil. Nothing can take that away from us.
Psalm 91

God bless.

Praise God!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Wynona; @Pearl

When my wife puts on her face, she seems to glow with colour.

I like to think that she glows inwardly: she has long experience of God's grace, indeed.
I stopped wearing make up when I stopped working. After a certain age make up is aging.

Reactions: JohnPaul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I stopped wearing make up when I stopped working. After a certain age make up is aging.
@Pearl It works differently with various people, according to their own, right?

For my wife, putting on her face is so part of her routine when she goes out that the colour goes with emphasizing being distinguished/mature = positive.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Praise God!
@Wynona

I guess there are polar opposites at times.

The Lord doesn't intend us all to wear sackcloth and ashes: this too would draw attention to oneself.

I know some black women like the idea of a headshave. (I guess from Scripture this might indicate a Nazarite vow; Numbers 6; women did it also.)

But there are plenty of styles that are okay to have, right?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think you look adorable. All smiles, and such a kind person!!!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wynona

I guess there are polar opposites at times.

The Lord doesn't intend us all to wear sackcloth and ashes: this too would draw attention to oneself.

I know some black women like the idea of a headshave. (I guess from Scripture this might indicate a Nazarite vow; Numbers 6; women did it also.)

But there are plenty of styles that are okay to have, right?

@farouk I'm with you in that its fine to care about your appearance. No need to fall into either extreme of self-neglect or vanity.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@farouk I'm with you in that its fine to care about your appearance. No need to fall into either extreme of self-neglect or vanity.

I use a bit of bronzer and some mascara myself. Wynona, i don't care what you put on your face,it's perfectly fine, but that smile is better than anything you choose. :)

Reactions: Lambano

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use a bit of bronzer and some mascara myself. Wyonana, i don't care what you put on your face,it's perfectly fine, but that smile is better than anything you choose. :)

Thanks again. I like to watch women put on makeup but only go out with mascara and clear lipgloss at the most.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Absolutely beautiful, Sister Wynona. Excellently discerned and expressed.

I don't know if this will help, but if we consider that the truly most physically gorgeous human creature on Earth, is infinitely far uglier than he/she could attain to in the beauty of holiness.

Also, this hypothetical person's beauty cannot even slightly compare to that of Adam and Eve in Eden, and the beauty that will be ours when we put on incorruption and immortality when Christ shall come, and not tarry. And when we see Him face to face, we will then know what beauty truly is.

HALLELUJAH!!!

Reactions: Lambano and Wynona

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Welcome to the human struggle Wynnnnienona! :)

Reactions: Wynona