I find it impossible to pray

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fire-7

Feb 8, 2011
For years, I have told myself, every night, "This is it; I'm going to pray tonight!...no ifs, ands, or buts!"

And I can never seem to follow through with my promise. Only a few times, in within these years, have I been able to actually get down and talk to "God." But most times, I forget everything I was going to pray about once I get on my knees. How strange

But lately, even moreso, it's been very hard... well, impossible for me to pray. And I'll be honest. I think, primarily because of the "I went to Hell and cam back" testimonies I've been hearing.

Honestly, when I hear that people like Michael Jackson and Selena (epecially), and even 8 year old children, are in Hell, it doesn't make me want to stay out of Hell (which obviously is the point of the testimony). It just makes me feel sorry for these people because their punishment seems so unfair. And it also causes me to put up a thicker wall between myself and "God" because He comes off as a COLOSSAL JERK. And I'm not being irreverent.

It's like the lady, Choo Thomas ("Heaven is So Real"), who claims to have seen her own mother in Hell, Asian children and John Lennon, and had Jesus tell her that people who don't pay "tithes" are on their way there also... The punishment outweighs the crime.

But regardlesss of what I believe, think, or feel, if this stuff is true, then it scares me, and I'm deeply concerned. I need 100% assurance that I'm going to Heaven, and no one can give me that assurance by telling me to God is real. I need to feel it for myself. If prayer is the gateway to this assurance, then it's the most important thing I can do. But I also believe that the greatest tragedy in the Omniverse is wasted time. I hate wasting time, and that's exactly what I'm doing if I'm not praying correctly.

And there are infinite theories on what is the correct way to pray is. And it just frustrates me and tires me out to the point where I don;t even want to bother with it....

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For years, I have told myself, every night, "This is it; I'm going to pray tonight!...no ifs, ands, or buts!"

And I can never seem to follow through with my promise. Only a few times, in within these years, have I been able to actually get down and talk to "God." But most times, I forget everything I was going to pray about once I get on my knees. How strange

But lately, even moreso, it's been very hard... well, impossible for me to pray. And I'll be honest. I think, primarily because of the "I went to Hell and cam back" testimonies I've been hearing.

Honestly, when I hear that people like Michael Jackson and Selena (epecially), and even 8 year old children, are in Hell, it doesn't make me want to stay out of Hell (which obviously is the point of the testimony). It just makes me feel sorry for these people because their punishment seems so unfair. And it also causes me to put up a thicker wall between myself and "God" because He comes off as a COLOSSAL JERK. And I'm not being irreverent.

It's like the lady, Choo Thomas ("Heaven is So Real"), who claims to have seen her own mother in Hell, Asian children and John Lennon, and had Jesus tell her that people who don't pay "tithes" are on their way there also... The punishment outweighs the crime.

But regardlesss of what I believe, think, or feel, if this stuff is true, then it scares me, and I'm deeply concerned. I need 100% assurance that I'm going to Heaven, and no one can give me that assurance by telling me to God is real. I need to feel it for myself. If prayer is the gateway to this assurance, then it's the most important thing I can do. But I also believe that the greatest tragedy in the Omniverse is wasted time. I hate wasting time, and that's exactly what I'm doing if I'm not praying correctly.

And there are infinite theories on what is the correct way to pray is. And it just frustrates me and tires me out to the point where I don;t even want to bother with it....

I've got a book for you - Thomas Keating 'The Human Condition' - Keating is a Trappist monk - he is all about compassion. It is really a pamphlet, but I hate that word because it reminds me of bible tracts, which I find to be judgmental and therefore avoid. This writing is only 45 pages long and is only interested in helping you experience God in prayer. Check it out on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Condition-Contemplation-Transformation-Lectures-Harvard/dp/0809138824/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314378865&sr=8-2

NicholasMarks

Aug 23, 2011

It seems to me that the 'Final Judgment' is what we should all be fearful of...and that isn't just yet...though I suspect, it isn't far off. It is then that some will go on to everlasting life whilst others to eternal damnation and that second state is what we should try and avoid. It seems that avoidence is quite simple...just follow the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ. This leaps out at you as you pray and read his word...then try and implement that teaching in our daily lives...quietly, calmly, respectfully and prayerfully. There is nothing fearful in that is there?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fire, there are some guidelines to praying which you can read about in Matthew chapter six. Namely. Pray in private if you want God to hear you. There is an example on what to say, but you are talking to God and I imagine you can say what's o. Your mind. What you wrote isn't a bad start (I wouldn't call him names though ). You could also start by asking him who he is, and not rely on what people say he is.

As for getting on your knees... it is an act of humbleness, but I don't know if it's necessary.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Jeremiah 29:13 (NKJV)
13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I would have to say Fire, that if you cannot pray, it is most likely because there is sin in the way. God is always with us, He is always reaching for us and wanting us to walk with Him. Too often it is our sins that make it hard if not impossible to connect with that which is Holy. It is only through our salvation in Christ that we may do so. How's your walk with Jesus? I know you probably don't want to here this, but you probably know it deep down in your heart anyway. If you're struggling with homosexuality, it may be that this is your problem. The Bible is clear on this...it's a sexual sin (and by saying this I'm not making it any worse than any other sexual sin, or any other sin in general). I know you long for these desires to be 'natural'...but the Bible tells us that in God's eyes their not. Not one of us or any of our longings are 'natural'...(expect our longings for God Himself) so while our sins are different, they all need the same remedy...Jesus. If you're trying to convince yourself that being gay is normal, it will be a huge stumbling block in your prayer life...you cannot connect with God, who is telling you about this sin, while trying to believe it's fine.
I know this is a hard word, but please understand that one way or another, it is hard for all of us. Every day I am realizing the extent of my sin...just lately the Spirit has been showing me my pride. It's humbling, but the only way to defeat it is by submitting to God and His will. Cry out to Him, to help you and to show you truth...and He will.

Josant7

Jul 7, 2011
Try putting your fears aside and just talk to Him. Reflect and be thankful on the goodness He has given you. Look at the beauty of life, the world, yourself. I think you'll be more likely to sit down and talk to our Father if you see things from a positive light. He'll guide you and lead you away from the path of hell. Trust in Him. God Bless...

Reactions: Prentis

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I would have to agree with what Rach has said.

I would also mention that if you are not praying and your relationship is not right with God at this time, posting a thread like this is fine.

However, multiple postings in other threads criticizing and questioning the walks of other Christians really isn't.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I gave you a suggestion for support....not sure why you have not responded - are you mainly interested in talking with people who want to argue with you?

Fire-7

Feb 8, 2011
Well, I gave you a suggestion for support....not sure why you have not responded - are you mainly interested in talking with people who want to argue with you?

I'm not always on here. I'm on and off because I'm multitasking. So I can't always respond right away. If I don't respond, it's usually because I haven't seen it yet.