I have a bunch of basic questions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

kna325

Dec 16, 2012
South Carolina
But will start with these. This is my first post other than the one introducing myself.

I've been going to church on and off for the 25 years of my life but feel I know absolutely nothing about the bible. I went to some messes up church's so my sense of the bible is warped. I'm doing this on my own and in a church I feel comfortable in (it's like the 8th one I've tried in the last couple of years but I feel confident in this one now) but I know I need to spend time outside of church as well so here I am trying to learn. I've also been trying to read the bible and am on the 1st Samuel Chapter 26 (started with Genesis) but have a long way to go.

I have more questions than anyone cares to answer in one sit down so I'll start with 3. That seems like a good number to start with.

1. So Jesus went on the cross so we could be forgiven for our sins right? Yet in Matthew it says "Not everyone who says to me "lord lord" will enter the kindgom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, "lord lord did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?" Then I will tell them plainly "I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers!"< This was a verse today in church that the preacher was going over and I remember it from much earlier days. So if we are evildoers (which I assume means sinners) didn't Jesus die on the cross so that could be forgiven? I don't understand this part and would like some light shed on this. I am a sinner. I try not to sin I really do. I do my best to avoid telling lies, I do not still, I do not commit adultry covet definately don't use the Lords name in vain. I do what I can to avoid the ten commandments but I still sin from time to time so does this mean I will be forgiven or does the above passage mean I will not?

2. I have yet to read or be told about how the devil was once an angel and the war and all of that. Where in the bible is this spoken of? Or is it a old wives tale? I also have yet to read about hell or heaven being streets of gold and all. The only refrence I recall reading is when Jesus said something along the lines of preparing a room for us. Any refrences or books or anything that explains these things?

3. How do you "follow" God? What exactly is that, like how do you "listen" to God, "talk" to God and "follow" God? I don't understand that. People will sometimes day God told them something, how? And who do you pray to when you pray, the father the son or God?

Any help on these three topics would be so much appreciated.

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
1. Jesus died, as a sacrifice so we can be saved by repenting and giving our lives to him. I try to understand why dying was required, But He was ressurected for us to get saved..It is how it is. I cannot explain it really, But You are forgiven every time you repent and ask forgiveness. You can only enter heaven if you are Saved (By Repenting and living for Christ), so You still need to pray every time you sin, there is no such thing as "Once saved always saved"

2. The devil Used to be an angel in Heaven, But he was so proud of himself and arrogant, that he wanted to be a god, But this however led him and his followers (Fallen angels) Into hell. They wanted their own place, so God put them in hell..I Cannot find the scripture though but i believe it's true

3. Following God is a heart and action thing...Let me explain further. Completely Following Christ, is when You no longer go about your own will, but rather do God's will. For example, Say you go to bed at night and say "Tomorrow I want to go and see the baseball game" That is your own will, But if you had said "I want to go to a baseball game, But what do you want me to do tomorrow Lord? What is my purpose for you tomorrow?" This is Following God, and of course, listening to your good conscience and staying away from sins that you feel are bad, that's God telling you not to do it, Understand my drift?

Hope this helps, Any other questions feel free I'll try to answer them but I am only young in Christ

kna325

Dec 16, 2012
South Carolina
That does answer some of my questions. And when I pray I do try to ask God for whatever he wants and like when I want something I always ask "if that is your will" but when I do that I get all confused because doesn't Jesus say to pray and believe and you can move mountains? But if it's not Gods will then it doesn't happen? I'd just started to thank him for the answered and unanswered prayers but Jesus says to say the our father prayer and not to bore with anything else so I feel bad when I extend that prayer.

But how do you know what Gods will is? I've been praying for him to send me to the right church and I just never know how or when or where he's sending me or if he already did. I don't know how to listen to him. So I asked for him to show me through the sermon. But I nit pick each sermon so I don't know if it's just me going against or if they really aren't the right church. I don't know how to follow or listen or know what he wants from me

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
kna325 said:
That does answer some of my questions. And when I pray I do try to ask God for whatever he wants and like when I want something I always ask "if that is your will" but when I do that I get all confused because doesn't Jesus say to pray and believe and you can move mountains? But if it's not Gods will then it doesn't happen? I'd just started to thank him for the answered and unanswered prayers but Jesus says to say the our father prayer and not to bore with anything else so I feel bad when I extend that prayer.

But how do you know what Gods will is? I've been praying for him to send me to the right church and I just never know how or when or where he's sending me or if he already did. I don't know how to listen to him. So I asked for him to show me through the sermon. But I nit pick each sermon so I don't know if it's just me going against or if they really aren't the right church. I don't know how to follow or listen or know what he wants from me
Well If I were you, I would avoid churches. you wont find the right one because most of them are corrupted these days.....I Know that feeling my friend, I get depressed because I believe that God doesnt answer me. Just go with your good instinct. If you wonder if something is a sin, It prolly is, If you are wondering The best thing to do, Think about the Good thing to do out there. The good works like in the sermon on the mount...Sometimes I dont get direct answers, Just look in the bible, and do the works that are commanded..You will know if you are doing the will of God if you feel like you accomplished something for him. He'll answer then, He works in mysterious ways :)

Leviman

Aug 14, 2012
Church is a great place, especially those times when your in there by your self, I find it to be a brilliant place just to find a closeness to Jesus and a form of peace. Only recently I have realized the honour and privilege of receiving Holy Communion because Jesus is present in the Eucharist. When I go to mass I try and feel the love for Jesus and love of Jesus when I receive Holy Communion with a thankful spirit.

I don’t avoid Church, it is there for fellowship and to grow spiritually in Christ. As for the choice of church, that is for yourself to choose with the help of God, and I would recommend praying to God in patience for help, as you are doing. I am a Catholic and I personally am finding their teachings to be sound in Christ.

Knowing Gods will requires you just to have faith and love in God. Best advice i can give to you is to seek to know Jesus and God with all your heart, without any underlined reasons. I seek to know God because i want to love Him becasue he is my and your Father. Put your trust in Jesus to lead you to Him and at some point in your life, if God wills it, you will be bit more content in the love of God. A love that never ends and will always produce new reasons to love God.

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
Yes friend this is true, I miss the church I went to when I was little. It was a nice peaceful place to Learn about the Lord..

I am in no way slandering anyone, I just feel as if the world's churches are not doing God's will. They need to teach the reality of both Heaven and Hell, and the rapture too

kna325

Dec 16, 2012
South Carolina
I do agree with you inmate, that's my issue with the church's I go to. Not just that but the church is ruining itself.
Does God not teach to not be judgemental? Granted in the old testament they stoned sinners but in the new testament I think it was isn't the famous quote "who is without sin cast the first stone" or something like that? Granted I do believe many many people are sinners but instead of saying "You're going to hell" and things the westboro church say that I can't even say. I' wondering why instead of saying "you are going to hell" they don't just say "I will pray for you"? Is not every soul worth prayer?

Anyways, I have another question. In order to understand the conflict I have to give a little background
I wasn't raised by my dad. But he was a part of my life. He has read the bible more times than I could count. He reads it every day and has for over 20 years. He talks and talks and talks about God all the time. But I can't discuss any of my thoughts or I'm going to hell according to him. He reads between the lines in the bible all the time. He says he is "gallilean" and all of this mumbo jumbo I don't understand. My dad was extremely intelligent but 22 years ago he started smoking crack. And he's been a heavy user since. He is so strung out and stays up for days on end doing nothing but reading the bible. Which makes me wonder if he actually knows what he is talking about or if his mind is just out there at this point after so long smoking crack and still does.
So a few years back he and I were talking when I was driving and I mentioned wanting to get a cross necklace. I wanted it as a reminder of what Jesus stands for, a reminder not to sin and a reminder of Jesus in general. Not one with Jesus on it but a simple cross. My dad flipped out threatening to throw himself out of the car saying "I'd rather die than know my child was going to hell for worshiping a false idol!"
I still want a cross necklace, even more so now with all the banning of religion going on in the US today. I want it for the original reasons and in part as a kind of "You're not taking my faith away!" to the people who think you shouldn't talk about religion at all.
But now I'm concerned after what my dad said that I will go to hell if I got a cross. I'm not going to worship the cross or anything, who would? It is the man that had to endure such pain on that cross that I worship. If they had another symbol that I knew of I would get that but they don't that I know of. So is wearing cross wrong?

One more thing, about what I mentioned above in Matthew where it says "Not everyone who says to me "lord lord" will enter the kindgom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, "lord lord did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?" Then I will tell them plainly "I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers!"

I didn't connect any pieces late last night but it seems this could be relevant to my father. He does prophesy and he has prayed so much and believed so hard that people have been cured, God seems to have listened to his prayer. He contracted HIV through his girlfriend and prayed for the both of them. A month later she went and got retested and was negative and had the papers to prove it. My Grandmother had to have surgery due to some massive clots in her arteries. My father prayed and his prayer was answered, when she went in for the surgery they couldn't find one clot.
But to me it doesn't seem like he follows Gods way. I may be wrong I don't know but being such a HEAVY crack user, he abandoned his children. He shot at and beat people unconscious. According to my brother my dad did kill a man once. He ruins his body with this drug. He has been one of the most cruel people I have met in my life. But his faith remains strong.
I'm wondering if this verse could apply to my father. I don't want him to go to hell, I want him to go be with the father up in heaven, despite all he has done to me. But I'm afraid he might not. As terrible as he was to me I want everyone to be in Gods good graces and go to heaven and if this would suit my father I'm considering sending him a letter with this verse attached to it in hopes that maybe he can see that he's not the saint he believes he is and will maybe start a turnaround

Powerful weakness

Nov 5, 2012
Inmate said:
1. Jesus died, as a sacrifice so we can be saved by repenting and giving our lives to him. I try to understand why dying was required, But He was ressurected for us to get saved..It is how it is. I cannot explain it really, But You are forgiven every time you repent and ask forgiveness. You can only enter heaven if you are Saved (By Repenting and living for Christ), so You still need to pray every time you sin, there is no such thing as "Once saved always saved"
I agree there is no "Once saved always saved" but I do not think you "need to pray every time you sin". I do assert that confession of sin is important, but it is not possible to pray every time I sin. I sin with my subconscious mind. I confess patterns of sin privately and corporately in church, usually before taking the sacrament of communion. The forgiveness that Jesus offers seems all-encompassing and not conditional upon confessing every individual sin.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." [2 Corinthians 5:17]

If it is conditional, I see that as being based upon repentance+belief (faith in Christ) and forgiving others.

"But if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." [Matthew 6:15]

Inmate said:
3. Following God is a heart and action thing...Let me explain further. Completely Following Christ, is when You no longer go about your own will, but rather do God's will. For example, Say you go to bed at night and say "Tomorrow I want to go and see the baseball game" That is your own will, But if you had said "I want to go to a baseball game, But what do you want me to do tomorrow Lord? What is my purpose for you tomorrow?" This is Following God, and of course, listening to your good conscience and staying away from sins that you feel are bad, that's God telling you not to do it, Understand my drift?
That is not a bad example. Though if you were to really think that way, I think the constant questioning of God would bog you down. Perhaps a better question is "God, how can I serve You at this baseball game?" For big life decisions, seeking guidance and direction from God is surely a good thing. Seems to me that for many decisions, action takes priority over prayer.

And by extension, in many certain circumstances of life, action takes priority over prayer. An example would be when I am bowling. My turn comes up, I have had the opportunity to pray before I get up to the lane. "God help me perform well and learn from this experience and improve my game." Once I have my ball and I am performing the action of walking up to the lane to throw the ball, that is too late. My window of prayer time has passed, and now I am required to act. It is still possible for me to pray to God while simultaneously performing the action, but I need to use that brainpower to just concentrate on what I am doing.

Oh, and about avoiding the church. God designed us in His image, which means we have been designed for community, just as He has been in community as the Trinity since before time. Spending time with other humans is vital. The church is the bride of Christ for whom He loved so much to suffer death for. I believe fellowship and personal relationships and even "going to church" is a primary means of blessing and growth in the Christian life. I hope you can find a church-home where you feel comfortable and also where you can worship God, and where the gospel is preached, kna325.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
1. Jesus is the eternal redeemer and savior of all mankind. Yet not all of mankind will accept His sacrifice. Jesus wipes our debt out but until we accept the check we will still be in debt which is sin. After we accept Jesus as Savior we are commanded to obey Him as Lord! Yet many confess the Lord Jesus and yet do not possess the Lord Jesus and thus there is a deficit. For godly sorrow leads unto repentance and repentance unto salvation (2 Corinthians 7:10). Confession alone does not save you or gurantee salvation but a life of obedience and doing the will of the Father does and we can only accomplish that through Jesus He is the only way (John 14:6). And it is not by works and that is evident in the scripture you stated for we do many "good" works yet they are of ourselves and thus are not of God. For it is not by works that we are saved lest any man boast but it is by faith in the grace of God that saves us. (Ephesians 2:9 and Titus 3:5) Yet genuine faith produces good fruit and works for also faith without works is dead and void (James 2:17) and for without Holiness no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14)! Our genuine faith in Jesus will produce works as well and a lifestyle of holiness. Thus "once saved always saved" is a false doctrine of Satan.
2. Jesus replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. (Luke 10:18), How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! (Isaiah 14:12), The great dragon was hurled down--that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him. (Romans 12:9).

3. We follow God by adhering to His word for He is His word (John 1:1). We also can come into deeper fellowship and communion with God through the work and power and person of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the comforter (John 14:16, John 15:26) He is also a sanctifier and refining fire burning out all the sin and unrighteousness in us and perfecting us in Holiness (2 Corinthians 7:1). The Holy Spirit gives us power to witness (Acts 1:8). He also lead us into all truth (John 16:13). When we are baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit he dispenses gifts and power to us for the perfecting of the saints for the work of ministry (Acts 2:1-4, Acts 19:1-6).

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
kna325 said:
1. So Jesus went on the cross so we could be forgiven for our sins right? Yet in Matthew it says "Not everyone who says to me "lord lord" will enter the kindgom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, "lord lord did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?" Then I will tell them plainly "I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers!"< This was a verse today in church that the preacher was going over and I remember it from much earlier days. So if we are evildoers (which I assume means sinners) didn't Jesus die on the cross so that could be forgiven? I don't understand this part and would like some light shed on this. I am a sinner. I try not to sin I really do. I do my best to avoid telling lies, I do not still, I do not commit adultry covet definately don't use the Lords name in vain. I do what I can to avoid the ten commandments but I still sin from time to time so does this mean I will be forgiven or does the above passage mean I will not?
Hi kna325,

Let us focus on this question with an overview of the bible.

Adam, a child of God, was a sinless man who was given the privilege of having eternal life, all he needed to do was eat of the tree of life in the garden of eden. There was one tree that he was told not to eat of, that was the tree of knowledge of good and evil or he would die that day. As you know, that is the tree he did eat from and he died spiritually right then. He was removed from the garden and no one would have access again for hundreds of years.

The rest of the bible, Old Testament, was about bringing people back to God. He chose Abraham to have knowledge of God and to pass that knowledge to his children. These children became known as Jews, and also as his chosen people. They were eventually given the 10 commandments and a covenant that God would bless them many times over as long as they followed after him according to his instructions. They were also told of a time to come that he would send them a messiah that would take away all their sin and set up a kingdom of peace. In effect, he became the tree of life that man had lost access to.

Their messiah was Jesus. But because over time much of the covenant had been broken and changed so much that they did not accept Jesus as that messiah. Jesus then instructed those that followed him to go and preach the gospel to all the world, that they might be saved. This is how the church came to be made up of Jews and Gentiles alike.

Jesus came to give back the eternal life that Adam had taken away from all generations. In order to have this eternal life one must be born again of the water and the Spirit. The water is baptism, to cleanse us. The Spirit is God and he comes to reside in us. We are told that we are the temple of God that is not made with hands. So how is this done:

1. Repent of your sins (repent means to turn and walk away from)
2. Forgive all that have hurt you (that is done simply by saying I forgive (name all of the people you can think of) for God says he can not forgive us if we don't forgive others.
3. Get on your knees or lay flat on the floor in submission and ask Jesus/God to forgive you.
4. Continue to pray daily and find a full gospel church full of people that will pray with and for you at the alter. Follow their instructions and be baptized.
5. They will have bible studies and Sunday school classes that will increase your knowledge and ability to serve God.
6. You, by this time, have become a child of God and you can be assured that he loves you as his child and he will not allow any forces to take you out of his arms. You can also rest assured that he will not leave nor forsake you and if you chose to stay, you will be with him forever.
7. Final point, try not to sin, but when you do, and we all do, ask him to forgive. His promise is that he will do that.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Question 1 goes to the Atonement and it's efficacy.
Question 2 is addressed here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+14%3A12-17&version=NIV
Question 3 goes to the process of Sanctification (becoming Holy).

For your first question, I am not completely in line with orthodoxy within my denomination (or many others). I consider Christ's Atonement on the Cross has complete and total efficacy for the entirety of the Human race, past present and future. Now, one might want to stop right there and accuse me of supporting a universal atonement of all mankind (everyone goes to Heaven). Far from it. I stray back into the orthodox camp when I further state that it is God the Father who APPLIES the Blood of Christ to whomever the Father is pleased to apply it.

In a nutshell, it is Christ's Blood that pays for everyone's sin, but the Father does not distribute that atoning blood uniformly across the Human Race.

Question 2 is basically answered by the scripture passage given. Not everyone submits to the same spiritual interpretation of those verses, but it seems quite clear on the surface what is being discussed is not humanly possible for a finite being to aspire or be credited.

Question 3, the process of Sanctification, is oftentimes broken down into a five part process, though each part is not distinct and separate from the parts prior or following. Sanctification (becoming more Holy) usually starts with diligently studying Scripture (and by diligent I mean at least 3 read throughs of the Bible, cover to cover). Without a comfortable familiarity with not only individual stories but overall themes and background, one will usually not achieve any benefit from Salvation and the steps that come next.

While studying the scripture it is important to begin fellowshipping (worship service, etc) with like minded believers. You may find you desire to change your "alliances" during the process and that is ok, even normal. As we begin to learn and grow we will find things that at one time made sense in one context but a more mature way of looking at certain teachings will almost always bring about changes in ourselves.

Next, while studying and fellowshipping a devotion to prayer through all these steps is important. Consider prayer your time to take to God what you have studied personally and learned from your pastor/minister. It can and will take different forms and different meanings as situations and your Christian maturity mandate. But, not just personal prayer, corporate prayer (with family, church, friends, etc) is equally essential for a satisfying relationship with the Father, Christ Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

I know this reads like stereo instructions but bear with me a few moments more to list the next process of the 5 fold journey of sanctification; repentance. Now I know that our sins have been forgiven by Christ on the Cross and Salvation extended to us through our Conversion (justification). But we must also acknowledge that it was not only our past sin that helped nail Christ to the Cross, it is our current sin as well! Though we are justified through Christ, we are made Holy by the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, and that work is through sanctification. When we confess our sins we do it to agree with the Father that we have fallen short. He isn't re-forgiving us, we are simply agreeing with Him that we have missed the mark and have fallen short of Holiness. When we repent, we turn our back to that sin, forsake it, and reduce it power in our lives. It may take many times and we may fail many times, but if we are faithful, the Father is faithful to provide for us (providence) the power to continue on in our walk.

Finally, in the words of our Lord, "go and make disciples." We must take what we have earnestly fought for (closeness with God and the joy that comes with knowing our Savior), and spread that Good News, the forgiveness of sins, and the rebirth from death to life! Intellectual ascent to the knowledge of God and of Jesus Christ is simply not enough. We will never be fulfilled as Christians or as people in general, unless we take what we have learned and give it to someone else. They may not accept it, but that is not in our job description. Just and the Father saved you and me, it is His decision on whom He will save and when He will do it.

Hope this made sense and was adequately clear. Sometimes I get lost stomping around in the weeds ;)

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
kna325 said:
But will start with these. This is my first post other than the one introducing myself.

I've been going to church on and off for the 25 years of my life but feel I know absolutely nothing about the bible. I went to some messes up church's so my sense of the bible is warped. I'm doing this on my own and in a church I feel comfortable in (it's like the 8th one I've tried in the last couple of years but I feel confident in this one now) but I know I need to spend time outside of church as well so here I am trying to learn. I've also been trying to read the bible and am on the 1st Samuel Chapter 26 (started with Genesis) but have a long way to go.

I have more questions than anyone cares to answer in one sit down so I'll start with 3. That seems like a good number to start with.

2. I have yet to read or be told about how the devil was once an angel and the war and all of that. Where in the bible is this spoken of? Or is it a old wives tale? I also have yet to read about hell or heaven being streets of gold and all. The only refrence I recall reading is when Jesus said something along the lines of preparing a room for us. Any refrences or books or anything that explains these things?

3. How do you "follow" God? What exactly is that, like how do you "listen" to God, "talk" to God and "follow" God? I don't understand that. People will sometimes day God told them something, how? And who do you pray to when you pray, the father the son or God?

1. When Adam and Eve sinned, their sin had an impact on their descendants and the rest of creation (Romans 5:12) Heaven was closed to all of mankind and those who died went to the land of the dead, which the Jewish people call "Sheol." Christ's death and resurrection opened the gates of Heaven so that those who died after His resurrection could now enter Heaven. When Christ died, He also went to those in the land of the dead and preached the gospels to them so that those who were righteous could also go into Heaven (1 Peter 3:18-19). Christ has conquered death so that death no longer can hold us prisoners. He has freed those who were righteous in the past. Christ's blood on the cross are for the sins of the past.

Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

In order for your sins to be forgiven, you must repent of your sins and ask for forgiveness. The verse in Matthew "Not everyone who says 'Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of Heaven' refers to Christians who did not follow God's will. They only believed in Jesus Christ, but they did not follow His will. It is not enough to simply say "I believe in God".

2. It is in scripture Lucifer was an angel.....but a fallen angel (Isaiah 14:12) and appears as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14). The name "Lucifer" means "light bearer". Lucifer and Satan are the same person. Christ said that He saw Satan fall from Heaven (Luke 10:18). So, Satan was once in Heaven, but when he sinned he was kicked out of Heaven because sin cannot exist in Heaven.

3. The way to follow God is to imitate Christ.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
kna325 said:

See Romans 3:25. When we first come to Christ Jesus and believe on The Father through His Son, repenting and asking forgiveness, that is for 'sins that are past'. We are to keep to the plough in following what our Lord Jesus commanded us, repenting and asking forgiveness if we mess up forward of that (see 1 John 1).

It's all about our walk in Christ Jesus by The Holy Spirit. That's how we are counted as 'perfect' in His eyes, because He well knows our flesh is weak and that we are going to mess up at times. Going off to knowingly sin after coming to Christ is not the same thing; it is instead becoming an apostate, in the act of falling away from Him. This is one of the purposes for holy communion with Christ; it's a time for introspection, looking at ourselves and how we're living, and asking Him to help us with our weaknesses while repenting of things we're having problems with. Yet we will remain sinners until He returns, mainly because of the weakness of the flesh (Rom.7). Thus we are saved by His grace, and not by our works, and not by following the law. But our works in Christ do follow us to Heaven.

kna325 said:
See the Ezekiel 28 chapter, and the Isaiah 14 chapter. Ezek.28 is specifically where God is associating the prince and king of Tyrus as an anti-type for Satan. It is there that God reveals when Satan was originally perfect in his ways, until iniquity was found in him.

The rooms idea you're talking about is the "many mansions" in God's House that our Lord Jesus mentioned in John 14. The idea in the Greek is about 'abodes'. It is further covered in more detail in the Ezekiel 40-47 chapters, about the abodes of the priests in God's House, i.e. Christ's future Milennium Sanctuary.

kna325 said:

You 'follow' our Heavenly Father by heeding His Word of Truth, learning about Him within His Word and what it is He expects from us. We are to follow His commandments as given through His Son Jesus Christ and His Apostles. Always ask Him for understanding each time when you open up His Word in Bible study.

When you pray, address our Heavenly Father, always ending the prayer in the Name of Jesus Christ. That shows you are one of His, and just Who you are praying to. When you pray, bow and speak to Him as you would a real loving father. He is the Father of our souls, knows what we're thinking and what we need, yet we are still to ask. It can't just be lip service; we have to mean it and then not doubt that if it is within His Will, He will answer us. The more you understand His Word, the more you will know what to ask regarding His promises to us; many forget about that.

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012

This is exactly what Christ's sacrifice is all about...

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Isa 14 and Ezek 28, also...

Luk 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

God speaks to us by His word, we talk to Him by prayer. There is an outline, not a prayer, but an outline of how to pray here...

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

And as far as following God...

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Read the Gospels and see how Christ walked, then follow His example.

Now for some meat, Christ is the one who was the God of the O.T., so read the entirety of the Bible, not just the N.T...

1Co 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
1Co 10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
1Co 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
1Co 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
kna325 said:
In Romans 3 Apostle Paul taught forgiveness of sins through Christ Jesus is for sins that are past. That point is just skipped over in many Churches today. What it means is that when a new believer comes to believe on Christ's Perfect Sacrifice, then all sins from that point past are forgiven. Then forward of that the believer is expected to walk by The Holy Spirit to stay in Christ's Grace, and when we do accidently fall to sin in the future, we are to come to repentance and ask Christ forgiveness (1 John 1). When we do that Christ is faithful and just to cleanse us from the sin (1 John 1). This is especially what Holy Communion is for, to commune directly with our Lord Jesus, to thank Him, to settle matters we're having problems with, for repentance, etc.

If a believer on Christ refuses... to repent of a sin after they have believed on Him and been baptized, then they become a reprobate, fallen away, and subject to a more harsh judgment.

Think of it as a 'family' type atmosphere. If you go out and do things against your family, even to their hurt, how long will they put up with that before they cast you out of the house? If you have problem your trying to overcome, and ask them forgiveness, what true family would not be understanding and try to help you overcome the sin, even putting up with periodic reoccurances while trying to overcome it (as long as it's not a serious sin). Our Heavenly Father is not called "Father" for no reason. We as Christian brethren are to be one family under Christ Jesus, even repenting our sins among each other, which is something family members that love each other do.

Concerning those Christ will tell to get away from Him when He comes, that is about those who follow men's ways while thinking it is following Christ. Those represent the deceived who get tricked into following the devil's ways simply because they don't... listen... to God in His Holy Writ. Because they listen more to mammon instead of Him, they become deceived, and even lead others with them into deception. And for our times, the end, there's a coming pseudo-Christ first that is going to play God which many of those will mistakenly bow in false worship to, thinking he is The Christ (2 Cor.11; Matt.24:23-26; 2 Thess.2; Rev.13). So how do you think Christ Jesus would react when He returns to find those believers on Him that fell away into Satan's snare, and led many others with them? Jesus will be Just in saying to those, "I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity." (Matt.7:23). Jesus especially covered the matter of a "hireling" in John 10 about those.

Does that mean deceived brethren won't be saved by Christ Jesus? No, for we've got a thousand years to go before the final end once Jesus Christ returns in our near future. Those of us who fall away from Him today will be under His judgment throughout that whole thousand years of Rev.20. ONLY those of His that remain faithful and overcome will reign with Him when He comes.

kna325 said:
Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14. God starts off talking about flesh kings there, but He eventually gets to the subject of Satan to show that's especially who He's talking about. God told us there how Satan will perish upon the earth, turned to ashes. No flesh man has already been judged and sentenced to perish just yet. Only Satan and his angels have been, so far.

The "many mansions" idea in John 14 mean 'abodes', living quarters. Jesus is specifically talking about the abodes of His priests per the Ezekiel 40-47 Milennium temple layout, which is in connection with the Rev.21-22 layout.

kna325 said:
You talk to God in prayer just as a loving child would their flesh loving father, with respect and humility and honor. If we show our willingness to follow what He commanded us, then He hears us. He may not always grant what we want, for we often pray for things we don't need, or that we're not ready for. When you pray, pray to our Heavenly Father ending the prayer in the Name of Jesus Christ. See Matthew 6, Luke 11.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
kna325 said:

Romans 4:5
However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.

2 Corinthians 5:19
that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

Romans 5:6-9

6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!

http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/d/c/o/dconeall.htm

READ THE WORDS AS YOU LISTEN TO THIS HYMN ITS THE WHOLE STORY OF HOW gOD PLANED YOUR SALVATION AND THEN CARRIED IT OUT..

" Let THOSE THAT WANT TO HEAR GOD SPEAK TO THEM READ Holy scripture.""'

www:whataboutJesus.com

you can ask question here yet many questions are already answered here

http://whataboutjesus.com/

also here is a online bible commentary

http://kretzmannproject.org/