I need a distance learning bible college that is extremely affordable and accredited!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
MAy I ask waht you need the accreditation for, God doesnt deal in certifiactes, all your works acoount for nothing, you have a teacher, He is called teh Holy Spirit, He will teach you all you neeed to know, costs you nothng, always with you and only teaches the truth, when did bible college become more important then Him.

In His Love

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
First off let me describe my situation. I am thirty one years old and certainly tired of waiting to advance in my Christian faith. I need facts and I need them now! So please give me as much detailed information as you possibly can.

I just got married in July and my wife and I are staying with family in a rather large house. We do not have much as bills with no children but are hungry for the Lord. I have made plenty of money in the past and can do again in the future if I needed to; but that is not where the Lord will have me. That is just an empty road. I have learned that money doesn’t bring happiness nor does it keep out the rain. I am currently working part time making much less and she might be getting another second part time job to make ends meet and save some money.

What I am trying to say is that we are in the situation by choice entirely. We are trying to save are pennies; get our certifications; degrees and have time for ourselves while at the same time spend time with family. We are by no means hurting but also by no means well off. She already has a degree and is currently seeking a certification and I am going to a community college for business world and working part time.

What I need is a real and practical solution to a bible college that is accredited and realistic; and what I mean realistic is extremely affordable with a good reputation. I am looking for a college to where I can take classes at a reasonable rate or at my own pace. Take a few here and there part time or full time or maybe even just one at a time. As far as prices go anything close to 400 or even 200 is absolutely crazy per credit hour. I mean how in the world is someone suppose to be able to afford 1200.00 per class. I can be somewhat flexible on some of these things but I need a good balance of everything. I wouldn’t mind actual books too and not just CDs or mp3s. I think someone else mentioned that once before. Also someone else said you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Well it 2011 with technology today I would think you could have your cake and eat it too but I could be wrong. So if I am just hit it between my eyes and tell me my facts.

To sum it up I am just looking for a clean good bible college that is accredited with a good reputation so that when I am finished with all of my schooling in any capacity with my secular degree and my biblical degree I can go in any direction God has for me. I do not want to end up creek without a paddle because I made the wrong decision and cut corners. Money is a concern because if it is expensive I just can’t go. And where does that leave me?

Considerations from raw internet searching:

Accredited

Moody Bible Institute / Global University / South African Theological Seminary / Etc …

Non-Accredited

Andersonville Theological / Columbia Evangelical Seminary / Etc …

The above credited options are still between 150-200 per semester hour. So basically even the cheaper accredited colleges are going to cost me over 500.00 per class? Are you serious? How is anyone suppose to afford that? Or do I just have the all wrong?
The non-accredited schools seem to be my only financial solution needing any under 100.00 per credit hour. One just takes the chance that his Biblical Degree might not have as much spunk as his accredited counterpart.
I guess what I am thinking if I am looking at this for more of hobby reasons like casual discipleship for the Lord in my church and personal growth the non-accredited colleges would be a fine choice? Or would they? If I wanted to one day branch out and do something professional for the Lord I would need to go into debt and partake in a more expensive school? Is that what everyone is telling me?
Well anyhow thank you so much for taking the time in reading my thread. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated and well taken. So let’s blow up this thread and figure some things out.

Jesus doesn't hire proffesionals. It is men who hire proffesionals.

Maybe you'd have a better chance by taking up fishing? ;)

ChristianMaker

Dec 14, 2011
You are 31 yo, married and still live at home?

Nice comprehension, Tom.

ChristianMarker, you cannot make a decision like this from information gathered on an opinion board - assemble a list of top choices and go visit them.

i don't know your religion preference but if you contact AFCM international training center they have a video bible school that teaches people to become disciples of Christ.

i am currenting in the program and have taken great strides in getting to know and understand God a lot better. it has brought me to a new relationship with God.

i don't know if it is accredited because i did not enroll for that reason but to get closer to God. but these video schools are world wide and is even part of our church and many other churches. i don't know if that is good or not for accredited hours but it goes to about 65-84 hours of total teaching. i would seriously consider looking into it.

sorry unsure how to post links so you will have to search for it.

@tomwebster

You know it really hurts that there will always be people like this. My very first reply is an insult. I mean when are people going to change? Probably never. I mean even in a Christian forum a person not protected from sly insults. I even stated in my post that I have made money before and was very successful and productive citizen.
I made this change in order to get my life right with God and figure things out. Why is that so hard for people to understand. Better late than never right?

@aspen
@Shep
@jiggyfly
@7angels

Thank you for helping. Also when someone lists a school please let me know if they are accredited or non-accredited if you don’t mind. Also let me know which one you would lean towards as well. I really do appreciate all the help you guys could give. Thank you so much and have a wonderful day!

Pssst...You could always check the links.

No insult, just asking a question. Wondering why a 31 yo married man would want to live a home again. When I was 31 you could not have paid me enough to live at home with parents.

No insult Tom, why are your comments usually short and snarky? You appear to be intelligent and you claim to be a Christian - why not use your posts to contribute to the board instead of pantsing everyone you choose to respond to?

Hey...Not everyone wants to be long and windy.
smilie_girl_275.gif

@tomwebster

Obviously it was a question disguised as an insult. This was not a thread or topic about peoples living conditions or why they do things; but is about a Christian wanting to seek the Lord in educating himself and is willing to change to accomplish his goals. Not to mention at any age it should not matter where life takes him.

You also could have private messaged me if you were yearning so bad to have your question answered but you wanted to solicit your question publicly to spark a reaction out of other members and myself. Well congratulations you got what you accomplished and I hope you are happy and satisfied.

I would just urge a word of caution because biblically you are dancing on a fence. For example: 1 Corinthians 8:6-9 urges one not to be a stumbling block to other believers. Also in Titus 2:7 we should be of an excellent example. Here is a geat link to learn more about offending people. Yes you can possibly offend someone but a living condition I do not think is a major biblical sin that needs to pointed out.

http://www.answersin...ould-not-offend

In any case if anyone else has more information on colleges please contribute because I would love to start my journey asap!

Great advice.

All the links I posted were accredited schools with online classes...I do not lean towards anyone of them as I am not interested in a degree in Bible Studies, I have a degree in nursing and computers...too busy to go back to school....

Back on topic please.

Just wondering if you have read the Statement of Faith for each one of those schools? Do you agree with it?

theschoolofchrist.org is free and could save you some time, energy and lot's of money.

What are you hoping to gain from going to a "christian college"?

Flip a coin.

MAy I ask waht you need the accreditation for, God doesnt deal in certifiactes, all your works acoount for nothing, you have a teacher, He is called teh Holy Spirit, He will teach you all you neeed to know, costs you nothng, always with you and only teaches the truth, when did bible college become more important then Him.

In His Love

Jesus doesn't hire proffesionals. It is men who hire proffesionals.

Maybe you'd have a better chance by taking up fishing? ;)

Hello everyone! I am back.

I still have not made a decision. However, I am ready to pull the trigger on something ASAP.

Since I created this thread I have learned a lot and have been blessed a lot.

I have started a community group in my local church, got a fabulous job and have been saving money, and have a baby on the way.

I am no longer trying to ever keep up with the Jones's or try to get the best of the best. I 100% just want a solid distance learning online program that is NOT accredited. I just care about reputation and honor. That if I graduate from their program that it will be respected and people will know that I received a good education.

I have already completed my BA with a 4.0, I am looking for a Master Degree.

I would go to Moody in a heart beat by here is no way I am paying 400.00 per credit hour for about 1200.00 per class. Not in this world.

So if you guys don't mind, I am looking for something extremely affordable because I am doing this just because I feel it is on my heart from God. I am looking at it like advance bible study with a certificate on the side after completing. Don't really want to pay an arm and a leg for that.

Please let me know what everyone thinks. It would be greatly appreciated.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ChristianMaker

First of all I would say that if your are going to put the time in studying, you should get the credit for it. So you should be seeking a school that is accredited. That piece of paper means more if you do.

Every school has it's own theological bent. You mentioned 'Moody'. So are you looking for a Dispensational/Pre-millennial school?

Stranger

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Please let me know what everyone thinks. It would be greatly appreciated.
God is free, the Holy Spirit teh best teacher, no certificate provided but teh lessosn are eye openers. No books to read, no exams too pass just on teh job training with lots of experience.

ChristianMaker

Dec 14, 2011
ChristianMaker

First of all I would say that if your are going to put the time in studying, you should get the credit for it. So you should be seeking a school that is accredited. That piece of paper means more if you do.

Every school has it's own theological bent. You mentioned 'Moody'. So are you looking for a Dispensational/Pre-millennial school?

Stranger

God is free, the Holy Spirit teh best teacher, no certificate provided but teh lessosn are eye openers. No books to read, no exams too pass just on teh job training with lots of experience.

That is what I am more leaning towards. Something a lot more affordable but respectable. I am more or less looking for something that is like an advance bible study for myself but I get a certificate at the end. However, I do not want to attend a Diploma Mill either.

Anyone else have any new schools that are affordable and yet respectable? Does not necessarily need to be accredited. Just at least have a good reputation of producing good Christian Students with sound doctrine.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moody is a great school!

Liberty University is the #1 online.

I would pony up and get the accredited degree if you want to go towards vocational ministry. Especially if you desire to teach in the future at a college or university, almost everywhere will require an accredited degree. Here I would suggest you follow a path where you learn the Greek and Hebrew. Being able to translate is a solid tool in your biblical studies. Otherwise simply do in depth study on your own. (Good) Teachers and classes only direct you towards doing your own research. If classes teach you what to think rather than how to do your own reasoning, they probably are not good classes (concerning biblical education).

There are plenty of "bible study" type of educational devices that you could go through. Lots of books you could buy and go through at your own leisure. I would recommend a hermeneutics book to get you started (Stuart and Fee) Honestly I do a ton of learning outside my classes through hands on practical experience, leading in discussions, and discipling. The teacher in a bible study group usually learns the most as you often gather much more information than you present.

A seminary degree does not usually have a lot of bible classes, unless you go to some place like Dallas Theological (another great seminary). My undergrad degree "BS in Biblical Studies" did have many bible classes, but the president of the school is a Dallas grad. I currently attend Moody Theological Seminary. I intend to use my degree to continue to disciple others eventually forming a church body that resembles the Acts church yet in this contemporary context.

My opinion: If it is just a hobby save the money you spend on classes, and collect a great library. If you seek recognition from others (a certificate), you might be doing things for the wrong reasons. If you are going for the degree don't waste your time on something not accredited. Who knows you my want to pursue a PHD and there is no way to do that if your Masters is not accredited.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is what I am more leaning towards. Something a lot more affordable but respectable. I am more or less looking for something that is like an advance bible study for myself but I get a certificate at the end. However, I do not want to attend a Diploma Mill either.

Anyone else have any new schools that are affordable and yet respectable? Does not necessarily need to be accredited. Just at least have a good reputation of producing good Christian Students with sound doctrine.
Well one thing I know for a fact. You will lay hands on the sick and see them healed if you do this one. 100% fact. Impossible to go through his school and not see healing.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
pictures or it never happened
Thank you so much for all of the kind replies. I really appreciate it. I am still on my journey; but believe I am going to go with the most affordable accredited option.
fwiw i think you are contemplating the worst possible way to absorb Scripture, as you can only learn an interpretation that best serves the world that way. Pretty sure the Bible even condemns this approach, at least indirectly. "Let the Spirit be your guide" and all that.

Step 1 "accreditation"
Step 2 "sign Contract for Jesus," because after all who does not want to pay no taxes
etc

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Three years ago I was in a similar situation as yours, wanting to study the Word towards accreditation. I found out that most place are expensive for simply transferring PDFs and Audio/Video files. I was not going to pay over $5000 for internet education. However, I did find this site that was very reasonable. Northwestern Christian University

BA Biblical Studies - Online Christian University

When I finally decided to enroll, the Lord stopped me and said NO.
He said He was able to use fishermen, therefore He could easily use me.

Since then I have seriously dug into His Word and what He has shown me and taught me you don't get in the standard 101 courses.
My ministry in teaching has soared ever since.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Sword and bbyrd009

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
First off let me describe my situation. I am thirty one years old and certainly tired of waiting to advance in my Christian faith. I need facts and I need them now! So please give me as much detailed information as you possibly can.

I just got married in July and my wife and I are staying with family in a rather large house. We do not have much as bills with no children but are hungry for the Lord. I have made plenty of money in the past and can do again in the future if I needed to; but that is not where the Lord will have me. That is just an empty road. I have learned that money doesn’t bring happiness nor does it keep out the rain. I am currently working part time making much less and she might be getting another second part time job to make ends meet and save some money.

What I am trying to say is that we are in the situation by choice entirely. We are trying to save are pennies; get our certifications; degrees and have time for ourselves while at the same time spend time with family. We are by no means hurting but also by no means well off. She already has a degree and is currently seeking a certification and I am going to a community college for business world and working part time.

What I need is a real and practical solution to a bible college that is accredited and realistic; and what I mean realistic is extremely affordable with a good reputation. I am looking for a college to where I can take classes at a reasonable rate or at my own pace. Take a few here and there part time or full time or maybe even just one at a time. As far as prices go anything close to 400 or even 200 is absolutely crazy per credit hour. I mean how in the world is someone suppose to be able to afford 1200.00 per class. I can be somewhat flexible on some of these things but I need a good balance of everything. I wouldn’t mind actual books too and not just CDs or mp3s. I think someone else mentioned that once before. Also someone else said you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Well it 2011 with technology today I would think you could have your cake and eat it too but I could be wrong. So if I am just hit it between my eyes and tell me my facts.

To sum it up I am just looking for a clean good bible college that is accredited with a good reputation so that when I am finished with all of my schooling in any capacity with my secular degree and my biblical degree I can go in any direction God has for me. I do not want to end up creek without a paddle because I made the wrong decision and cut corners. Money is a concern because if it is expensive I just can’t go. And where does that leave me?

Considerations from raw internet searching:

Accredited

Moody Bible Institute / Global University / South African Theological Seminary / Etc …

Non-Accredited

Andersonville Theological / Columbia Evangelical Seminary / Etc …

The above credited options are still between 150-200 per semester hour. So basically even the cheaper accredited colleges are going to cost me over 500.00 per class? Are you serious? How is anyone suppose to afford that? Or do I just have the all wrong?
The non-accredited schools seem to be my only financial solution needing any under 100.00 per credit hour. One just takes the chance that his Biblical Degree might not have as much spunk as his accredited counterpart.
I guess what I am thinking if I am looking at this for more of hobby reasons like casual discipleship for the Lord in my church and personal growth the non-accredited colleges would be a fine choice? Or would they? If I wanted to one day branch out and do something professional for the Lord I would need to go into debt and partake in a more expensive school? Is that what everyone is telling me?
Well anyhow thank you so much for taking the time in reading my thread. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated and well taken. So let’s blow up this thread and figure some things out.

Christian,

Why don't you investigate the Faculty of Theology at the University of Pretoria, South Africa? I have my PhD in NT (dissertation only) from this university. It's the official training university for Dutch Reformed Church ministers. Because of the devaluation of the Rand, I found the cost to be very reasonable.

Another South African University worth investigating is North-West University. Here's a link to the Theology Faculty. It takes a strong stand on the authority of Scripture. If I had my time over again, I'd do my study through distance education with this university because of its support for the inspiration of Scripture.

I'm an Aussie and found the costs affordable for me.

Oz

http://theology.nwu.ac.za/

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am 64 and I only started to gain understanding, about 13 years ago, and it started with a simple heart felt prayer, after many years in the Churches, feeling like! why is this so confusing, I cried out to My Father and asked Him for the Truth, all I wanted was the truth. The Truth will Set You Free!!! Earnestly Pray for the Truth, no matter what He shows you, follow Him. Man will fail you But The Creator of the Universe Will Not! best to you, I have no biblical teaching background or references. I spent 9 years in the old Testament, I would not even read the New Testament,but when I did, the New Testament came alive. 2nd Thessalonians chapt 2 vers 10 - and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, Because they did not receive, THE LOVE OF THE TRUTH, that they might be saved. when I read this I said to myself, I want to know the truth, I want to be saved. the first part of this vers is only there because I will not put scripture out there in part, the love of the truth is what inspired me to pray for it, I believe it is a Gift,Just ask and He will Lead you. With the Love of He who is in me, I pray for your best.

Reactions: Sword