I Want My Cooking To Be Legendary

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Practice, practice, I’ve had many a failure, I’m excellent at baking, pastries that melt in the mouth, chocolate eclairs, chocolate ganache cake, butter less sponge cakes.....I know, I shouldn’t be blowing my own trumpet, hehehe....every time they had a charity at the gym, I was always asked to make the cakes....I LOVE baking!!....my signature is meat pie and quiche.xx

Steak and Stilton pie, yum!....

Reactions: Lambano and Wynona

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Help me! No more fast food. And restaurants in my area are terrible.

I'm actually a fairly decent cook already. I tend to not measure and use a lot of spices. My husband and his friends tend to compliment my cooking.

But since Im getting help with cleaning, I have energy to consider my ways. Im interested in dishes from Asian, Creole, Hatian, Nigerian, and Southern United States. Soul food.

Tell me about the best food youve ever had. Do you have a signature recipe? I want to knooowww

Im convinced food is the 6th love language.
How about authentic Cajun chicken and smoked sausage gumbo?

Here's my recipe:

1 cup flour (NOT self-rising)
1 cup olive oil
1 large onion, diced small
1 large bell pepper, diced
4 ribs celery, diced
2 lbs chicken, cut up
1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4" slices
3 quarts of chicken stock
1/3 cup chopped green onions
salt
pepper
red pepper

Mix the flour and oil into an oily paste. Put it into a cast iron skillet at medium heat, constantly stirring. Eventually, it will turn tan, then brown. You're looking for the color to be about like cocoa. When it reaches this stage, dump in the onion, bell pepper, and celery and mix well. Put this mixture into your soup pot. Add the two quarts of chicken stock and at least that much water. Add the chicken and sausage into the mix. Bring to a boil. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper to taste.

When the chicken is fully cooked, add the green onions. Cook 5 more minutes, then turn the heat off. Your gumbo is ready.

Serve over steamed rice in a bowl, and remember it's a soup, not a stew. (I've seen people fill the bowl up with rice and add the gumbo to make it wet. No. It's a soup.

This is normally served with a good potato salad and French bread on the side. YUM!

• Love
Reactions: Lambano and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about authentic Cajun chicken and smoked sausage gumbo?

Here's my recipe:

1 cup flour (NOT self-rising)
1 cup olive oil
1 large onion, diced small
1 large bell pepper, diced
4 ribs celery, diced
2 lbs chicken, cut up
1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4" slices
3 quarts of chicken stock
1/3 cup chopped green onions
salt
pepper
red pepper

Mix the flour and oil into an oily paste. Put it into a cast iron skillet at medium heat, constantly stirring. Eventually, it will turn tan, then brown. You're looking for the color to be about like cocoa. When it reaches this stage, dump in the onion, bell pepper, and celery and mix well. Put this mixture into your soup pot. Add the two quarts of chicken stock and at least that much water. Add the chicken and sausage into the mix. Bring to a boil. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper to taste.

When the chicken is fully cooked, add the green onions. Cook 5 more minutes, then turn the heat off. Your gumbo is ready.

Serve over steamed rice in a bowl, and remember it's a soup, not a stew. (I've seen people fill the bowl up with rice and add the gumbo to make it wet. No. It's a soup.

This is normally served with a good potato salad and French bread on the side. YUM!
Thank you! I love cajun food

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Help me! No more fast food. And restaurants in my area are terrible.

I'm actually a fairly decent cook already. I tend to not measure and use a lot of spices. My husband and his friends tend to compliment my cooking.

But since Im getting help with cleaning, I have energy to consider my ways. Im interested in dishes from Asian, Creole, Hatian, Nigerian, and Southern United States. Soul food.

Tell me about the best food youve ever had. Do you have a signature recipe? I want to knooowww

Im convinced food is the 6th love language.
I'm only 71 years old, so I haven't learned how to cook, yet. I enjoy shepherd's pie, among other things.

Reactions: Wynona

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are two ways of cooking food, quickly or slowly.

Cooking a steak on a plate at a low temperature stews the meat and it becomes tough to eat, however if it is cooked on a hot plate quickly and removed before it is turned into leather, it can be juicy and tender to eat.

To cook food, it can be done either on top of the stove in a saucepan or frypan or in the oven in a baking dish.

As we gain experience in cooking by experimenting and trying new recipes and methods the way we prepare food becomes varied.

I have found that if I sear a steak in a hot frypan on the top of the stove and then put the frypan with the steak in it into the oven at around 140 °C the meat will be tended to eat. I prefer my meat that is described as medium with a little colour still. Blue meat only has the outside of the steak well seared and is allowed to rest for ten minutes. The method is to put the steak in a very hot pan and then to start counting 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 and flip, 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 and remove from the pan to rest on a warm plate. It all depends on personal taste how the steak needs to be cooked. Some people prefer Blue Steak while others like their steaks to be very well done. A good cook prepares the food to suit the preference oof all of the people partaking of the meal. Some like a lot of seasoning while others prefer none.

A good cook/chief will prepare their food to suit the individual taste for each of their customers so that all of the prepared food arrives at the table at the same time.

Cooking is a two-way street where the recipients appreciate the efforts of the cook and the cook appreciates the various needs of those who will sit down at the table to eat what they have prepared. The secret is to have a balance between the two needs.

A meal is like a good conversation between people where all need to learn from the other people participating in the meal. When a cook learns this art of learning to know those who will be eating their cooking, then cooking is enjoyable.

Just remember that children become fussy and difficult to please when adults, who sit down at the table, with them are also fussy about what they eat.

Reactions: Wynona