I witnessed someone speaking in tongues today

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

My family ...

1. Moms side - Virginian Pentecostal Holiness
2. Dads side - Michigan Catholic

My dad's side of the family was Catholic and my dad actually went to Catholic seminary. They use to attend Holy Family Catholic in Saginaw Michigan and just walking up the stairs into a high ceilinged sanctuary pictured below with priests, monks, nuns, in a medieval setting, was a treat in itself. All of dads side WW2 generation were Catholic.
a1806aef84a478b9380c4022c842b5fc.jpg

One of my cousins started going to a Baptist church and decided to invite my elderly great Uncle Frank (his father). Well, Uncle Frank did not like the order of service from the beginning. He kept growing more anxious as the service went by. I believe that they had a communion service at the end of the service in which Uncle Frank had enough. He basically threw a temper tantrum right there in the church service in front of everybody and threw such a fit that none will soon forget!

I let my dad live in one of the two houses I own. My dad drove my tractor into the building and hit the excellerator instead of the break and run the tractor into equipment, letting out a God D’mit as he did. I think to myself if I had him a hundred years I do not believe I would ever break him of those cold hearted northern ways.

Pictured below is the Virginian farmer I would work for in the hay field... Dallas would shout at work, shout in the hay field, and shout in church. He would also speak in tongues and run the aisles. He and his wife would operate a dairy farm and he would also work at the local ammunition plant. A very large soul his shouting would ring through the building. In the altar services he would kneel behind me in prayer and tears would roll off his cheek and onto my shoulders. A wonderfully large soul. Along with Dallas there were many others like him who would let the praises roll during church service. During the altar service old Evans Linkous used to weep like a baby. And if he were to look back to catch the amazed look in my eye he would weep, "The Holy Ghost! The Holy Ghost!" And point to all the souls being blessed around the altar. After I experienced these things for myself the people would make a fuss, or in the words of the Apostle Paul, glorify God in me.

Dallas.... Jesus in the family! What a happy home!
Dallas_zps81e23487.jpg

You can hear Dallas shouting in the background. Dallas, Gertrude, and Pastor Vaught have all went to glory.

And the old Merrimac Pentecostal Holiness church. I have never heard such singing , preaching, and shouting anywhere else in my entire life!

Merrimac_zps2a25944e.jpg

All accompanied with a Walton like warmth and love. And I never heard a curse word one out of any of them!
o_O

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being autistic, I don't imply anything. I call a spade a spade and what isn't there is not implied.

Good for you.

At one point in my life, I refrained from having discussions with others in the things of God, for fear that I might not be able to articulate well what I wanted to convey as English is my second language.

Then I came across 1 Peter 3:15-16 and things began to manifest well.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Dave L

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good for you.

At one point in my life, I refrained from having discussions with others in the things of God, for fear that I might not be able to articulate well what I wanted to convey as English is my second language.

Then I came across 1 Peter 3:15-16 and things began to manifest well.

To God Be The Glory

Good for you. There is a decided lack of grace in the church today and we need a big dose of it to accept everyone as they are.

I was on a camping holiday recently, and a class of teenage students was staying at the same campsite. I got talking to one of them who had an accent. I discovered he was from Afghanistan originally.

I listened very intently as he had an interesting story to tell (I had asked him where he was from originally). I am so glad I did because he was very polite and he asked me if I understood what he was saying because of his accent which was still quite pronounced.

Fortunately, I was able to pick up most of what he was saying.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I beg to differ. Joel’s prophecy was indeed in accord with Pentecost in Acts Chapter 2.

Like I said, you don't know what timing the JOEL 2 CHAPTER is for. You have to go into the Joel 2 chapter to find that out!

This will probably be more for others that are interested in finding out, so here is where Peter was quoting from:

Joel 2
2:1 Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand;

2 A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.

That "day of the Lord" is the last day of this present world, the day when Jesus returns to end this world. It is the day of "sudden destruction" Apostle Paul warned about in 1 Thessalonians 5:1-3. It is the day of God's consuming fire burning man's works off the earth, like Apostle Peter showed in 2 Peter 3:10.

In other words, that timing is for the future tribulation timing, not the Apostle's days. That future time involves this "great people and a strong" (meaning 'a strong people'), taking rule over all nations and peoples, i.e., the beast of Revelation 13, which is today's movement of a "one world government".

3 A fire devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them.
4 The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses; and as horsemen, so shall they run.
5 Like the noise of chariots on the tops of mountains shall they leap, like the noise of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble, as a strong people set in battle array.

Those are descriptions of the Revelation 9 locusts. God is talking about His bringing of this locust army upon the rebellious of His people at the end of the world (i.e., the great trib timing). These symbols were given especially in Rev.9 with the locusts. In Joel 1, God says they are "a nation", meaning a certain nation of people that do this. It's put for Satan's host of world controllers. They ride on horses and in chariots like an army, have the teeth of lions, hair of women, and breastplates of iron, and the faces of men.

6 Before their face the people shall be much pained: all faces shall gather blackness.
7 They shall run like mighty men; they shall climb the wall like men of war; and they shall march every one on his ways, and they shall not break their ranks:
8 Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and when they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded.

That idea of if they fall upon a sword and are not wounded shows this war-like nature is symbolic for how they take control at the end of this world. A real soldier who falls on a sword would be wounded. So God is giving these attributes of the locust army as symbols for how they take over His people at the end.

9 They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; they shall enter in at the windows like a thief.

They enter into your windows "like a thief"? Where have we heard about that before in connection with "the day of the Lord"? Our Lord Jesus used this 'thief' metaphor for timing about the end of this world and the day of His second coming. This idea here in Joel 2 is how the enemy creeps into your home, to influence your mind, deceive you. They'll come in through your radio, your TV, phone, your newspapers, periodicals, books, movies, music, etc. Can anyone say "politically correct" ideology?

10 The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining:

What timing is that? Did that happen in the days of Acts 2 with Pentecost? NO! This is for the end of our present world. The sun and moon being darkened and the stars withdrawing their light is a Revelation symbol for the end of this world. In Matthew 24:29, Jesus showed this will happen immediately after the tribulation, so this is meant especially for the last day of this world when Jesus returns.

11 And the LORD shall utter His voice before His army: for His camp is very great: for He is strong That executeth His word: for the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; and who can abide it?

Again, this is for the last day of this world. This is when Jesus with His army will come to end the future Antichrist's reign.

12 Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to Me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:
13 And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth Him of the evil.
14 Who knoweth if He will return and repent, and leave a blessing behind Him; even a meat offering and a drink offering unto the LORD your God?
15 Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly:
16 Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.
17 Let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, "Spare Thy people, O LORD, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, 'Where is their God?'"

That is all great tribulation timing, a time on earth that has never been before, nor ever will be again.

18 Then will the LORD be jealous for His land, and pity His people.
19 Yea, the LORD will answer and say unto His people, 'Behold, I will send you corn, and wine, and oil, and ye shall be satisfied therewith: and I will no more make you a reproach among the heathen:
20 But I will remove far off from you the northern army, and will drive him into a land barren and desolate, with his face toward the east sea, and his hinder part toward the utmost sea, and his stink shall come up, and his ill savour shall come up, because he hath done great things.

21 Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the LORD will do great things.
22 Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field: for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth her fruit, the fig tree and the vine do yield their strength.
23 Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for He hath given you the former rain moderately, and He will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.
24 And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the fats shall overflow with wine and oil.

That "northern army" is the Ezekiel 38 & 39 army that is to come up against Israel on the last day of this world, i.e., Antichrist's army.

25 And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, My great army which I sent among you.
26 And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, That hath dealt wondrously with you: and My people shall never be ashamed.
27 And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and My people shall never be ashamed.

God says this locust army is His "great army" He sends against His people. The "years that the locust hath eaten" represents Satan's host of world controllers that have been working to seize the wealth of the nations in order to bring all nations into a "one world government" system, i.e., the beast system of Revelation 13:1-2. He says here that He will restore all that this locust army took for the end.

So once again, this is NOT showing the time of Christ's Apostles with Pentecost in Acts 2. This is all for the very end of this world, our time.

28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My spirit.
30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.

31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.
32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.
KJV

This above is what Apostle Peter quoted from Joel 2 on Pentecost day. Those are signs for THE VERY END OF THIS WORLD, just prior to the "day of the Lord" when Jesus returns! They are NOT... for the days of Christ's Apostles, nor even for today, simply because the time of "great tribulation" has NOT yet started today! It is still for some time in our near future! And I believe it is very close, as it will begin when the final Antichrist/false Messiah shows up in today's Jerusalem.

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mar 5:41, And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.

Mar 7:34, And looking up to heaven, he sighed, and saith unto him, Ephphatha, that is, Be opened.

The apostles who penned the gospels gave the interpretation; but it appears that the Lord Jesus did indeed speak in tongues.

And John the Baptist was not recorded as speaking in tongues; which does not preclude that he never did so.

It would appear the word Ephphatha is an actual word, so Jesus never spoke in tongues like you describe. At least not that I've ever read about.
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
ἐφφαθά ephphathá, ef-fath-ah'; of Chaldee origin (H6606); be opened!:—Ephphatha.
Thayer's Greek Lexicon [?] (Jump to Scripture Index)
STRONGS NT 2188: ἐφφαθά
ἐφφαθά, ephphatha, Aramaic אֶתְפָּתַח (the ethpaal imperative of the verb פְּתַח, Hebrew פָּתַח, to open), be thou opened (i. e. receive the power of hearing; the ears of the deaf and the eyes of the blind being considered as closed): Mark 7:34. (See Kautzsch, Gram. d. Biblical-Aram., p. 10.)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would appear the word Ephphatha is an actual word, so Jesus never spoke in tongues like you describe. At least not that I've ever read about.
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
ἐφφαθά ephphathá, ef-fath-ah'; of Chaldee origin (H6606); be opened!:—Ephphatha.
Thayer's Greek Lexicon [?] (Jump to Scripture Index)
STRONGS NT 2188: ἐφφαθά
ἐφφαθά, ephphatha, Aramaic אֶתְפָּתַח (the ethpaal imperative of the verb פְּתַח, Hebrew פָּתַח, to open), be thou opened (i. e. receive the power of hearing; the ears of the deaf and the eyes of the blind being considered as closed): Mark 7:34. (See Kautzsch, Gram. d. Biblical-Aram., p. 10.)
It was a word in another language besides the language in which Jesus spoke; Jesus was not a language scholar for He grew up in Nazareth.