If Adam and Eve had not eaten from the tree of knowledge, how could they know it was wrong to do so

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God did not fail, then Adam and Eve would never have made a mistake
a mistake is not failure, giving up is failure. to be human is to ERROR, hence ... Correction.

NASA on it's rockets have what is called retro jets, to make course correction. even the best laid plans need some small corrections.

and the creature is not God. so the creature needed course correction, and not the CREATOR.

and to know that we're not a failure, we're still here........ :cool:

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Reactions: Truman

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So God created slaves?

I had no idea
Genesis 2:5
"And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground."

You think someone with knowledge would want to till the ground all day?

We had to learn the hard way.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Faithsong, and welcome to CB! :)
Can we equate being wrong with sin? And, the verse you quoted doesn't have Right/Wrong in it... I am wrong a lot, lol. I'm just not so sure they are the same things.
My take is that God wished for His creation to Love Him without forcing them to. He want's us to choose to love Him on our own so...free will has much to do with this too..
I believe God knows everything, from beginning to end. And, God never errs, ever.
We are not to know some things, I think. But we will see one day clearly :)
nancy

I think you're all missing the point. For instance God created Adam so that he could have a conversation with God. That means that Adam was capable of understanding God when God spoke to Adam. Adam was created very smart. God told Adam to name the animals so don't you think that Adam was able to study an animal, observing how it lived etc and then come up with a name. Isn't it also true that God commanded Adam to take care of the garden, so Adam had to have the intelligence to do that. When God commanded Adam to not eat from the forbidden tree God wasn't giving Adam a command that he could neither understand nor obey. Adam new it would be wrong to disobey God if he ate from this tree. When God told Adam not to eat from the tree Adam understood that God was telling him not to eat of this fruit from that tree. The Tree of the knowledge of good and evil simply represented that when it comes to what God has created, God and God alone is the only one who can decide what is good for what he created or what is evil for what he created. To put it another way, when it comes to what God has created God and God alone knows what is in the best interests of what he created and what isn't in the best interests of what he has created. Adam and Eve should have not only had faith in that, but they should have exercised faith in that. They didn't have that faith. We today are to exercise faith that God came up with a way to undo what that original serpent has done. That is it's God Only Begotten Son that God sent to Mankind to save mankind. That God has made his Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ the King of that Messianic Kingdom and that God has bought some of mankind to be kings and priests in that Messianic Kingdom with Jesus which is a Heavenly kingdom from which Jesus Christ and those of mankind that has been bought from mankind will rule over the Earth.

Reactions: Nancy and Truman

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
In the Bible, in the Garden of Eden, if the fruit of the Tree-of-Knowledge contains the knowledge of Good/Evil and Right/Wrong, then how could Adam and Eve have known it was “wrong” to disobey God and eat the fruit before they did? They couldn’t have known what right and wrong meant. Also if God had explained to Adam and Eve what right and wrong was before they ate of the fruit so that they would understand why it was wrong to eat the apple, then wouldn’t He have essentially given them the Knowledge that he had just forbidden them to have? Remember; THIS is the Original Sin, the basis for the need for salvation in all of Christianity.

Moreover, why did God put the Tree-of-Knowledge in the Garden of Eden in the first place? Especially if He knew what was going to happen? Isn’t he supposed to know everything that will ever happen? It would have been so easy just to place it on the other side of the world; or on the Moon for that matter.

So why did God not know that this fruit would be eaten, did God err?

Why?

He didn't know, He gave them a command that they disobeyed

As for why He put the tree, ie ,satan in the Garden, He had 2 for them to have a choice, least He would had have to kill all those that followed satan than known as lucifer in the first age

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In the Bible, in the Garden of Eden, if the fruit of the Tree-of-Knowledge contains the knowledge of Good/Evil and Right/Wrong, then how could Adam and Eve have known it was “wrong” to disobey God and eat the fruit before they did? They couldn’t have known what right and wrong meant. Also if God had explained to Adam and Eve what right and wrong was before they ate of the fruit so that they would understand why it was wrong to eat the apple, then wouldn’t He have essentially given them the Knowledge that he had just forbidden them to have? Remember; THIS is the Original Sin, the basis for the need for salvation in all of Christianity.

Moreover, why did God put the Tree-of-Knowledge in the Garden of Eden in the first place? Especially if He knew what was going to happen? Isn’t he supposed to know everything that will ever happen? It would have been so easy just to place it on the other side of the world; or on the Moon for that matter.

Why?
you need to get familiar with the story again Fs.

Reactions: Sabertooth

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why?

First you determine if it is written, and if it is you can look at it (study) by an individuals understanding. Hence the many interpretations by us the interpreters. But if it is not written, believers have nothing to look at. I have a 1000 answers to your question but are they written. But as far as good conversation it's nice to look at scripture with a certain perspective that fits you, your filter or interpretation. I particularly like this kind of a conversation but at the same time I know there is things that are absultely written "I don't know." Personally that is what I will look at and try to get some understanding.

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a mistake is not failure, giving up is failure. to be human is to ERROR, hence ... Correction.

NASA on it's rockets have what is called retro jets, to make course correction. even the best laid plans need some small corrections.

and the creature is not God. so the creature needed course correction, and not the CREATOR.

and to know that we're not a failure, we're still here........ :cool:

PICJAG
A mistake is not failure for humans, but if God made a mistake he is not infallible. If God had educated Adam and Eve as to what right and wrong was then they would not have eaten the apple. However God knew the outcome before it happened so God made man to be tossed out

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First you determine if it is written, and if it is you can look at it (study) by an individuals understanding. Hence the many interpretations by us the interpreters. But if it is not written, believers have nothing to look at. I have a 1000 answers to your question but are they written. But as far as good conversation it's nice to look at scripture with a certain perspective that fits you, your filter or interpretation. I particularly like this kind of a conversation but at the same time I know there is things that are absultely written "I don't know." Personally that is what I will look at and try to get some understanding.
Written?

Did God forget how to write?

Why is God not writing now?

Does the World not need help now?

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's like telling your kids not to touch a hot stove ,but they do it anyway .I also feel (IMO)had he just said sorry he would have been good but ,naw what he he do, blame the woman.
So God made imperfect creations, but the question is not about the creation but about why God did not know that his creations were ignorant, so why dod God not include intelligence not needed to be learned

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A mistake is not failure for humans, but if God made a mistake he is not infallible. If God had educated Adam and Eve as to what right and wrong was then they would not have eaten the apple. However God knew the outcome before it happened so God made man to be tossed out
GINOLJC, to all.

first thanks for the reply, second, error again, listen, Romans 8:19 "For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God."Romans 8:20 "For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,"

WHY? next verse, Romans 8:21 "Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God."

God never failed, he's perfect in his creations. God a plan, and accomplish what he wanted........ CHULDREN, glorious, like him... :D BINGO!.

read and understand, listen, Jeremiah 18:1 "The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying," Jeremiah 18:2 "Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words." eremiah 18:3 "Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels." Jeremiah 18:4 "And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it." Jeremiah 18:5 "Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying,"Jeremiah 18:6 "O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel."

now, did you get the point, listen..... "And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it." now go figure that out. I would give you a hint, but I have already.......... :eek: YIKES!

PICJAG

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
if the fruit of the Tree-of-Knowledge contains the knowledge of Good/Evil
Adam and Eve didn't receive the knowledge of good and evil from a piece of peach, or apple, or watermelon or whatever. They became aware of such knowledge through the act of disobedience. It was the act itself, not the fruit that was evil.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why?

Adam and Eve simply misused a piece of creation. If Adam decided to name the rocks instead of the animals because he was tempted it would have resulted in the same Fall. The Tree was not a magic tree, Eve just broke it.

also, there is no need to experience or "know" evil if it is never introduced into the world. Understanding Good and Evil in the "knowing" way actually caused us to spent our lives judging God's Good creation as evil based on how it happens to please us. We have gained nothing.

Adam and Eve knew how to disobey God and they knew it was evil in the same way we know murder is wrong. Yet, they were not satisfied, they had to experience it. Like drug addicts, humankind has continued this deep seated desire to experience evil ever since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite