If all of the Church is the Bride of Christ who are the guests?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I've given you enough Scripture evidence to settle the matter, but it appears you're listening to doctrines outside God's Word, and that is what has confused you. As long as you're doing that instead of admitting the actual Scripture proof on the subject, you'll never understand the matter.
I am listening to whom? My friend I don't attend an assembly at all anymore. I read my Bibles and pray daily. I am not confused in the sense you mean it. I believe that I am only confused in the way we all are confused to the extent that we go our own ways instead of His. If we are looking to Him and searching as we should, God will help us with our shortcomings.

Studying and knowing in our mind all the scripture in the Bible [any Bible] will not bring us to a place where we do not need to trust in God. It is through this trust in Him that our understanding of what is written is corrected as God sees the need. Sometimes God may help us satisfy our curiosity but for the most part , I believe that is seldom going to happen. We need to pray in all things for His will according to His will rather than our own.

Last edited:
Reactions: stunnedbygrace

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, I have missed 12 pages already!

Anyway, I would have to say that they are the gentiles, that "other fold" brought by Christ.

Jesus perhaps give the answer in the previous pages, saying to the priests and Pharisees:

Matthew 21:43
"Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people producing its fruits."

Reactions: Helen

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. At your suggestion I have read each selection of verses but came across nothing new to me. Perhaps in God's time there will be more clarity.

My present vision is that each of us should be seeking to be a part of His Bride. All must strive but some who fall short will still be saved even if not a part of the Bride. I try not to be drawing any lines between those in one place and those in another.

I read and I study and when and if it is His time He will increase me in this or whatever He sees as needful. Don't ask me for more scriptures than I have already given. I opened this thread to share where I and to perhaps receive more through others. If you cannot see my vision, there is nothing I can do to change that. If I am in error, but my heart is sincere and my search continues rightly without prolonged let up will not God correct me?

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

You're still dealing with an idea from men's doctrines with trying to label us as the Bride.

Revelation is the only Scripture in God's Word that explains what the Bride is, and it is the new Jerusalem per Rev.21. Even in the following verse, it is new Jerusalem as the "bride" there that is offering those who thirst these waters...

Rev 22:17
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
KJV

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
so, in speaking of the bride, and marriage etc in a spiritual sense, we are not to think of it as a literal marriage? So it is a metaphor you think of the intimacy that God desires between Himself and His people? What then if the marriage supper? A literal meal? But not too celebrate marriage as we understand it, but to celebrate the long awaited full union between God and his church?
And the difference between bride and guest? No difference perhaps? Metaphorically both equally cherished and desired by the 'Groom'?

Amen..that witnesses with me a lot. Well said...and agree.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My present vision is that each of us should be seeking to be a part of His Bride. All must strive but some who fall short will still be saved even if not a part of the Bride. I try not to be drawing any lines between those in one place and those in another.

Good word. And agree.

I am watching this thread. But have nothing new to add. :)

Reactions: Episkopos

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're still dealing with an idea from men's doctrines with trying to label us as the Bride.
What are you talking about? Are you that good at reading the minds or heart of others?

Revelation is the only Scripture in God's Word that explains what the Bride is, and it is the new Jerusalem per Rev.21. Even in the following verse, it is new Jerusalem as the "bride" there that is offering those who thirst these waters...
Your point, correct or not, fails to address the questions of the OP.

Rev 22:17
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
KJV

Amen!

Reactions: Episkopos

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Romans 9
22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,
23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,
24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Matthew 22
14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

The guests are the "chosen".

o
1. God does not choose.
There are no chosen.

2. If the "chosen" are the guests,,,
then who is the bride?

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. God does not choose.
There are no chosen.

2. If the "chosen" are the guests,,,
then who is the bride?
Unfortunately Job hasn't been around the forum for a long time, so don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Thank you. At your suggestion I have read each selection of verses but came across nothing new to me. Perhaps in God's time there will be more clarity.

I read and I study and when and if it is His time He will increase me in this or whatever He sees as needful. Don't ask me for more scriptures than I have already given. I opened this thread to share where I and to perhaps receive more through others. If you cannot see my vision, there is nothing I can do to change that. If I am in error, but my heart is sincere and my search continues rightly without prolonged let up will not God correct me?

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6
Hi A,
As I'm sure you know by now,,,,I'm not much for eschatology.
But you bring up a very interesting question....

I've heard others say that some will be the bride and some will be saved but not be a part of the "banquet table".

Personally, I don't understand this. The way I understand it is that we are either saved or not.

Is there scripture that could support that idea that some are of the bride status and some are not?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi A,

I've heard others say that some will be the bride and some will be saved but not be a part of the "banquet table".

Personally, I don't understand this. The way I understand it is that we are either saved or not.

Is there scripture that could support that idea that some are of the bride status and some are not?

The Parable of the Wedding Feast
22 And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said: 2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son, 3 and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come. 4 Again, he sent out other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding.” ’ 5 But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business. 6 And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them. 7 But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. 9 Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding.’ 10 So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot,take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The Parable of the Wedding Feast
22 And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said: 2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son, 3 and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come. 4 Again, he sent out other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding.” ’ 5 But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business. 6 And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them. 7 But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. 9 Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding.’ 10 So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot,take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Yes...of course I know this parable well.
But I still don't understand the difference....
Those at the table that were acceptable are called guests.
But they are not the bride...even though they are the ACCEPTED persons there.

Tomorrow I'll go through the entire thread.
If you have any other comment, I'd be interested.

Lata...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi A,

Actually for me there are many scriptures, but if you were to read all of the posts on this thread you see there are also of course some who would disagree with where I am on this.

Perhaps the simplest explanation in response to your question is found in the understanding of the difference between Esther who became queen of the realm as well as having her life saved and all the rest of the Jews in the realm also had their lives saved. None of those others became queen or the Bride of the King/Emperor. This is, if you can see it a type or shadow of the Bride of Christ [Esther] and the Body of Christ [all Jews in Persian Empire. It also may be seen in the Song of Solomon if you can see it:

"There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number.
My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her." Song 6:8-9

All of us believers, as I see it, must be in effect be striving [surrendering?] to be part of the Bride, but the final result as to whether we are or not is dependent on the extent of sincerity of our heart and of out refusal to quit working with all we are and all we have been given [by God] while it is still day [not night]. Of the comparatively few [making the Bride] out of the many [within the Body] who do this the remainder will be finally saved but the that division according to what we have done is in God's hands alone. No one else is qualified to fairly judge in the end of the matter.

Of course the whole of the Body of Christ would be small compared to the overwhelming numbers of people who are not saved at all.

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Actually for me there are many scriptures, but if you were to read all of the posts on this thread you see there are also of course some who would disagree with where I am on this.

Perhaps the simplest explanation in response to your question is found in the understanding of the difference between Esther who became queen of the realm as well as having her life saved and all the rest of the Jews in the realm also had their lives saved. None of those others became queen or the Bride of the King/Emperor. This is, if you can see it a type or shadow of the Bride of Christ [Esther] and the Body of Christ [all Jews in Persian Empire. It also may be seen in the Song of Solomon if you can see it:

"There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number.
My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her." Song 6:8-9

All of us believers, as I see it, must be in effect be striving [surrendering?] to be part of the Bride, but the final result as to whether we are or not is dependent on the extent of sincerity of our heart and of out refusal to quit working with all we are and all we have been given [by God] while it is still day [not night]. Of the comparatively few [making the Bride] out of the many [within the Body] who do this the remainder will be finally saved but the that division according to what we have done is in God's hands alone. No one else is qualified to fairly judge in the end of the matter.

Of course the whole of the Body of Christ would be small compared to the overwhelming numbers of people who are not saved at all.
Wow.
I gave you a like for the effort which I truly appreciate.
I'm going to read this again later. Don't really understand.
Maybe I'll even study it a bit...
Interesting.

Reactions: amadeus

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you talking about? Are you that good at reading the minds or heart of others?

Your point, correct or not, fails to address the questions of the OP.

Amen!

Process of elimination. If new Jerusalem is the Bride, like Revelation shows, that has to mean believers are the guests called to the wedding.

Zeph 1:7-8
7 Hold thy peace at the presence of the Lord GOD: for the day of the LORD is at hand: for the LORD hath prepared a sacrifice, he hath bid his guests.
8 And it shall come to pass in the day of the LORD's sacrifice, that I will punish the princes, and the king's children, and all such as are clothed with strange apparel.
KJV

Matt 22:10-11
10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
KJV

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Process of elimination. If new Jerusalem is the Bride, like Revelation shows, that has to mean believers are the guests called to the wedding.

Zeph 1:7-8
7 Hold thy peace at the presence of the Lord GOD: for the day of the LORD is at hand: for the LORD hath prepared a sacrifice, he hath bid his guests.
8 And it shall come to pass in the day of the LORD's sacrifice, that I will punish the princes, and the king's children, and all such as are clothed with strange apparel.
KJV

Matt 22:10-11
10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
KJV

Can you see a distinction between what Peter calls...scarcely saved...and abundantly saved?

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you see a distinction between what Peter calls...scarcely saved...and abundantly saved?

What I see there in 1 Peter 4:17-19 is the judgment of Ezekiel 9 when Jesus returns, starting with His Church.

Will there possibly be a split among Christ's Church when He comes, like you're kinda pointing to? I believe so, yes, between those of His faithful elect who remained barren and without child, whose paps never gave suck, and those who fell away. I do not believe those who believe on Jesus, but fall away will be lost, but will stand in judgment during the Millennium, just as rebellious Israel will.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Process of elimination? Perhaps useful along the way, but can we depend upon it to bring us to the Truth of God? Consider that Jesus is Truth.

Is there ever a time when we may be unequally yoked and be in God's will?

Thank you for your input.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 5:1-5
5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

KJV

That believer among the Corinthian Church was having sexual intercourse with his own mother. When Apostle Paul heard of it, he rebuked the brethren in charge there because they had not cast that sinner out from among them.

But what is unique is what Paul said in the 5th verse with, "that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."

Paul was speaking of Christ's future Millennial reign of Revelation 20. He pointed to that one's "spirit" is what would be saved in that future time, not his flesh. His Message was to cast that one out of the Church, in hope that he would repent and be saved in Christ's Millennium. The unprofitable servant of Matt.25 is also an example of a believer having fallen away being cast to a place of separation when Jesus returns. The fate of the five foolish virgins likewise is an example.

In Rev.22:14-15 we are shown likely where the "outer darkness" will be that Jesus was pointing to in Matthew 25, i.e, outside the gates of the holy city, a place of separation away from Christ and His Church. That is not the "lake of fire" which happens after the Millennium is over. Neither where the rich man of Luke 16 was it the future "lake of fire", but one side of Paradise where the abode of the wicked are, called Hades.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All of us believers, as I see it, must be in effect be striving [surrendering?] to be part of the Bride...
That is not how it works when God's grace is the only thing that counts. God the Father did not HAVE TO give the Son a Bride who would become the Lamb's Wife. There was no compelling reason for God to do anything other than save us from Hell and from ourselves. So the entire matter of the Bride is a pure act of God's grace, not based upon the merits of any believer.

The entire Body of Christ (the Church) has been designated as the Bride of Christ, because each member was saved by grace through faith. Not of ourselves but because IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD. A gift because of God's grace. We have no merits outside of Christ.