If our interpretation of scripture sidesteps common sense, did we get it right?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your question proves that this verse.....>"the scriptures are spiritually discerned", is not a part of your religion.

"God is A Spirit".

CHRISTianity, is spiritual.

The Bible is a Spiritual book, not a book that is comprehended by scientific analysis.

People who are trying to figure God out, are always coming to the knowledge of the truth, and can go no farther, as it takes FAITH to step into God's Life.

Look at the verse, reader...

the world <>>>>((((by wisdom))))<<>>>>>> knew not God,... for it pleased God by the ......foolishness of preaching..,,, to save those who
= believe.

You can't KNOW GOD by wisdom... = by analysis.

This is why science Rejects God.
This is what creates Atheists.

See, its often the fact that really smart people, want to create God in their image of Him, and this is impossible so that precludes them from believing BY FAITH.
Sirach 1:1

Foreword​

The Law, the Prophets, and the later writers have left us a wealth of valuable teachings, and we should praise Israel for the instruction and wisdom they provide. But it is not enough that those who read them should gain understanding for themselves. Anyone who values learning should be able to help others by what he himself says and writes. That is why my grandfather Jesus devoted himself to reading the Law, the Prophets, and the other books of our ancestors. After he had mastered them, he was led to write a book of his own in order to share his wisdom and learning with others, so that anyone who shared his love for learning should have his book available as well, and be all the more able to live according to the Law. Let me urge you, then, to read this book carefully and with an open mind. And please be patient in those places where, in spite of all my diligent efforts, I may not have translated some phrases vry well. What was originally written in Hebrew does not always have exactly the same sense when it is translated into another language. That is true not only of this book, but even of the Law itself, the Prophets, and the other books. The translations differ quite a bit from the original. I came to Egypt in the thirty-eighth year of King Euergetes' reign and stayed for some time. While I was there, I had the opportunity for a good deal of study and felt the necessity of translating the following book. I wanted to use all my diligence and skill to complete it and make it available for all those living in foreign lands who wish to learn and who have the strength of character to live by the Law of Moses.

In Praise of Wisdom​

All wisdom comes from the Lord, and Wisdom is with him forever.

Matthew 22:37
Jesus answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

Philippians 2:2
I urge you, then, to make me completely happy by having the same thoughts, sharing the same love, and being one in soul and mind.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul teaches that the word of God is "Spiritually Discerned".

So, "logic" is not spiritual discernment, as i explained to you regarding your misguided religious approach to the things of God that obviously account for your continued confusion that is the driving force for your redundant Threads that never offer any spiritual insight but just seek to annoy.

You do tho try to sound logical..
I'll give you that.

1 Corinthians 2

Easy-to-Read Version

My Message: Jesus Christ on the Cross​

2 Dear brothers and sisters, when I came to you, I told you the secret truth of God. But I did not use fancy words or great wisdom. 2 I decided that while I was with you I would forget about everything except Jesus Christ and his death on the cross. 3 When I came to you, I was weak and shook with fear. 4 My teaching and my speaking were not with wise words that persuade people. But the proof of my teaching was the power that the Spirit gives. 5 I did this so that your faith would be in God’s power, not in human wisdom.

God’s Wisdom​

6 We teach wisdom to people who are mature, but the wisdom we teach is not from this world. It is not the wisdom of the rulers of this world, who are losing their power. 7 But we speak God’s secret wisdom that has been hidden from everyone until now. God planned this wisdom for our glory. He planned it before the world began. 8 None of the rulers of this world understood this wisdom. If they had understood it, they would not have killed our great and glorious Lord on a cross. 9 But as the Scriptures say,
“No one has ever seen,
no one has ever heard,
no one has ever imagined
what God has prepared for those who love him.”
10 But God has shown us these things through the Spirit.
The Spirit knows all things. The Spirit even knows the deep secrets of God. 11 It is like this: No one knows the thoughts that another person has. Only the person’s spirit that lives inside knows those thoughts. It is the same with God. No one knows God’s thoughts except God’s Spirit. 12 We received the Spirit that is from God, not the spirit of the world. We received God’s Spirit so that we can know all that God has given us.
13 When we say this, we don’t use words taught to us by human wisdom. We use words taught to us by the Spirit. We use the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths. 14 People who do not have God’s Spirit do not accept the things that come from his Spirit. They think these things are foolish. They cannot understand them, because they can only be understood with the Spirit’s help. 15 We who have the Spirit are able to make judgments about all these things. But anyone without the Spirit is not able to make proper judgments about us. 16 As the Scriptures say,
“Who can know what is on the Lord’s mind?
Who is able to give him advice?”
But we have been given Christ’s way of thinking.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol to that sign in last post.

Review​

I think there are three reasons Christians tend to be anti-intellectual, and I’ve covered the other two in previous posts. The first reason came from 1 Corinthians 2:1-2 :

And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
1 Corinthians 2:1-2 NIV
In summary, I said that Christians wanted a simple message to proclaim to the world, but that our desire for simplicity often leads us to simplistic answers to complicated questions and to a preference for simplistic answers over proper ones.

The second reason came from another part of 1 Corinthians 2.

We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. No, we declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began…. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.
1 Corinthians 2:6-7 , 13 NIV
Based on this passage, Christians tend to think that spiritual truths are more valuable than other truths and that spiritual methods are more reliable than other methods. I mentioned a number of problems with that way of thinking in my previous post.

In this post, I will address the third reason Christians can tend to be anti-intellectual, and it is, in my opinion, the worst and most dangerous of the three reasons.

Thinking My God is the Source of All Understanding​

Of course, something similar to this is supported by Scripture. Consider this:

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Proverbs 9:10 NIV
Christians love this verse because it seems to put religious people on an intellectual pedestal over the rest of the world. I call it the doctrine of the Anointed Intellect, but really it’s just a form of arrogance. However, Christians find other passages in the Bible that seem to support the doctrine. In fact, going back to 1 Corinthians 2, we can find one right there:

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
1 Corinthians 2:14 NIV
Or consider this one:

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
2 Corinthians 4:4 NIV
It’s a popular Christian doctrine that non-Christian people just don’t think as well as Christian people do.

However, there are two huge problems with this way of thinking:

First of all, the passages indicating the blindness or the ignorance of the unbeliever are passages that are talking about spiritual matters alone. In 1 Corinthians 2, the topic is understanding the things that only come from the Spirit. In 2 Corinthians 4, the topic is understanding the “light of the gospel.” In neither case is it talking about “All Understanding.” In both cases, it’s talking about “Spiritual Understanding.” Only the people of God can understand the things of God.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The second problem is more dangerous, though. The second problem is the presupposition all Christians make that their understanding of God is the right understanding of God. That’s why I used the phrase above “thinking my God is the source of all understanding.” It’s not wrong to think that God is the source of all understanding because God in fact created all things, knows all things, and created our minds to understand them. However, it is arrogant to think that my understanding of God is the ultimate arbiter of all knowledge. Effectively, that way of thinking says, “If I don’t already know something to be true, or if it doesn’t make immediate sense to me, then it isn’t true because I have a relationship with the true God, and he isn’t telling me that it’s true.”

How arrogant, right?

Nevertheless, this is the sin of all religious people of all time in all places everywhere. It was the sin of the Pharisees who thought they knew God well enough to know that Jesus was a fraud. It was the sin of the Samaritans who thought they knew God well enough that they should worship on Mount Gerazim instead of in Jerusalem. It was the sin of Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu who thought they knew God well enough that they should worship him with a novel kind of fire (and were consumed by miraculous fire in return).

It continues to be the sin of us today when we say that our way of understanding God is the right way of understanding God and therefore our way of understanding the world is the right way of understanding the world.

Terrible Consequences​

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On top of the problems just mentioned, the doctrine of the Anointed Intellect leads to at least three incredibly bad consequences.

An “Anointed Intellect” Leads to Paranoia​

If I believe that my relationship with God makes me more able to think clearly, then I can start evaluating truth claims not on the objective facts or the expertise of the one making the claim but on whether the claim comes from a fellow Christian, that is, another Christian who holds the same beliefs as I do. That’s problematic in itself, but it leads to a really dangerous place too.

If I believe that my intellect is anointed by God to get the right answers, then whenever I encounter another person who believes something differently than I do, I don’t evaluate their claims directly. Rather, I evaluate them as a person. Is the person a good, Christian person or not? All by itself, this places me in a position of antagonism against the person with whom I disagree, but my logical conclusions will take me farther down that path.

You see, if they are saying something different from what I believe, it must be from one of three places:

• They are ignorant of the truth I know.
  • They are deceived because of their own spiritual weakness.
  • They are nefarious and are actually working against me.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will try to inform them of the truth once to see if the problem is their ignorance, but if they don’t immediately change their mind to agree with me, I’ll conclude that one of the other two options must be true, and practically speaking, it doesn’t matter whether they are deceived or are actively evil because I know their deception comes from one who is actively evil… Satan. Paul told me the god of this age has blinded their minds, right?

The bottom line is that if I believe the doctrine of the Anointed Intellect, I will conclude that the world really is out to get me either consciously or by the deceptive work of Satan, and therefore, anything I don’t already know or agree with, if it comes from a non-Christian, or from a different kind of Christian, must be designed by Satan to destroy me, ruin my faith, or do damage to someone around me.

Christians who believe this literally walk around with a sense of paranoia almost constantly.

An “Anointed Intellect” Makes us Gullible​

The second terrible consequence of the Anointed Intellect doctrine is that it makes us gullible and prone to believing all kinds of false teachings and conspiracy theories. You see, if I’m already paranoid, and if someone offers me an easy explanation for my feelings, then I’ll be tempted to quickly latch on to that explanation. It’s how all conspiracy theories operate.

• There’s something I don’t fully understand, but I think I should understand it.
  • Someone gives me a simple explanation that’s easy to understand.
  • They also give me an explanation why my enemies don’t want me to know the explanation.
  • Then, they remind me that the only real solution is for the lies to be exposed. All I have to do is spread the message.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All kinds of people are prone to conspiracy theories. It isn’t only Christians. However, Christians have the disadvantage that we are overconfident in our ability to understand things. We have an Anointed Intellect! If anyone can understand this thing, it should be us!

It’s intellectual arrogance and our own paranoia that makes us look for simple conspiratorial explanations for things we don’t understand.

An “Anointed Intellect” Makes us Evil​

Yes. The doctrine makes us evil and not just because arrogance is itself evil but because it leads us to do terrible things and think they are good.

Here’s just one example from history.

Back in the 1920s, George McCready Price published a book claiming that the earth was young and that the flood of Genesis was the cause of all the geological realities we see in the world today. It was a fringe belief, held by very few Christians, and was strongly rejected in the 1950s.

However, in the early 1960s, a man named Henry M. Morris revived the doctrine and initiated the modern Young Earth Creation movement we see at work today. His claim was that unless a Christian believed in a young earth, that Christian didn’t actually believe the Bible. His claim was that any science opposed to young earth conclusions was fraudulent and evil.

Now, the question I have is this. Why did young earth creation gain no traction in the 20s through the 50s but find resurgence in the 60s? I don’t really know all the reasons, but I do know one thing. I know one way YEC was used to address a problem some people felt in the 60s—civil rights.

You see, if God created the world in 6 days 6000 years ago, and if everything in the early chapters of Genesis are to be taken as simplistically and literally as possible, we need to conclude that humanity hasn’t been on the earth long enough to have developed the different “racial” features different people have through merely natural processes. Rather, the YEC doctrine which required a fully global flood embraced the doctrine that God had specifically created the different “races” of humans for his own reasons. In fact, the claim was that Noah’s three sons each became the father of the three main races. According to this doctrine, Japheth moved to Europe and became the father of the white-skinned people. Shem moved to the Middle East and became the father of the olive-skinned people. Ham moved to Africa and became the father of the dark-skinned people. (In the YEC worldview, there is no consensus about where native Americans came from.) As a result, YEC doctrine was used to support two truly evil ideas:

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because God specifically created three separate races, he must have wanted them to stay separate from each other. God must value “pure” bloodlines and therefore, people embraced YEC as one rationale for the promotion of segregation.
Because Noah had once pronounced a curse over his son Ham, YEC can be used to claim that his descendants (people from African origin) are also under that curse to this day and should be seen as somehow subservient to the other “races” of people.
Neither idea can survive without the YEC interpretation of the early chapters of Genesis. But both ideas were able to thrive among Christians largely as a result of the resurgence of YEC thought in the 60s.

There are other examples of Christians being led to evil because of the belief in an Anointed Intellect. Some Christian parents have chosen to reject medical science and have jeopardized the health and lives of their children in the process either by using “natural” remedies instead of proven medical treatments or by rejecting successful vaccines. Christians are not the only ones guilty of this. Not too long ago, the measles ravaged a Jewish community in New York State and led to many deaths because they too had rejected vaccination for over a generation.

Simply put, the belief that we have an Anointed Intellect is nothing more than arrogance masked as something spiritual, and it leads to great harm even great evil in many ways.

Reclaiming Intellectual Humility
Two facts will help us reclaim intellectual humility.

First, some things are not spiritually discerned. Yes, there are things that the believer understands but the unbeliever doesn’t. Paul mentioned that fact in 1 Corinthians 2:14Open in Logos Bible Software (if available). Here it is again.

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:14 NIVOpen in Logos Bible Software (if available)

Don’t lose sight of the fact that the ignorance of the unbeliever extends only to the things that come from the Spirit because they are discerned only through the Spirit. However, if there are any truths that come from the world around us, those are truths that can be discerned by unbelievers and believers alike, and in fact there are many truths that come from the world around us.

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

Psalm 19:1 NIVOpen in Logos Bible Software (if available)

Mere investigation of the natural world has brought about great human achievements. Natural science has enabled us to extend lifespans, deliver more babies, protect more mothers, feed more people and make life more comfortable and enriching.

Secondly, believers are not the only recipients of God’s grace. Consider these words from Jesus himself:

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Matthew 5:44-45 NIVOpen in Logos Bible Software (if available)

ME: There is a lot more, too long to post.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Scripture applauds education and knowledge (Proverbs 18:15) and commends those who seek wisdom (2 Chronicles 1:10–12). It encourages cautious skepticism (1 John 4:1), careful thought (John 7:24), and fact-checking (Act 17:11). Paul’s evangelism was dismissed by calling him too educated for his own good (Acts 26:24). The opening lines of the book of Proverbs directly refute anti-intellectualism:

To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth—Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance, to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction (Proverbs 1:2–7, ESV).

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Proverbs 15:14: “A wise person is hungry for knowledge, while the fool feeds on trash”

Proverbs 10:14 says, “Wise men store up knowledge” (NIV).

Read 1 Corinthians 1:18-25; 2:6-14.
Paul wasn’t saying the Christian faith is anti-intellectual. Paul himself was highly educated and very intelligent. He doesn’t accuse the world of having too much wisdom,
but too little. Why does the Bible say it is impossible for a person to find God through
their own intellect? What kind of wisdom do we have?

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

CHAPTER 8.​

OF BEARING THE CROSS—ONE BRANCH OF SELF-DENIAL.

The four divisions of this chapter are,—I. The nature of the cross, its necessity and dignity, sec. 1, 2. II. The manifold advantages of the cross described, sec. 3-6. III. The form of the cross the most excellent of all, and yet it by no means removes all sense of pain, sec. 7, 8. IV. A description of warfare under the cross, and of true patience (not that of philosophers), after the example of Christ, sec. 9-11.

Sections.

1. What the cross is. By whom, and on whom, and for what cause imposed. Its necessity and dignity.

2. The cross necessary. 1. To humble our pride. 2. To make us apply to God for aid. Example of David.

3. To give us experience of God’s presence. 3. Manifold uses of the cross. 1. Produces patience, hope, and firm confidence in God, gives us victory and perseverance. Faith invincible.

4. 2. Frames us to obedience. Example of Abraham. This training how useful.

5. The cross necessary to subdue the wantonness of the flesh. This portrayed by an apposite simile. Various forms of the cross.

6. 3. God permits our infirmities, and corrects past faults, that he may keep us in obedience. This confirmed by a passage from Solomon and an Apostle.

7. Singular consolation under the cross, when we suffer persecution for righteousness. Some parts of this consolation.

8. This form of the cross most appropriate to believers, and should be borne willingly and cheerfully. This cheerfulness is not unfeeling hilarity, but, while groaning under the burden, waits patiently for the Lord.

9. A description of this conflict. Opposed to the vanity of the Stoics. Illustrated by the authority and example of Christ.

10. Proved by the testimony and uniform experience of the elect. Also by the special example of the Apostle Peter. The nature of the patience required of us.

11. Distinction between the patience of Christians and philosophers. The latter pretend a necessity which cannot be resisted. The former hold forth the justice of God and his care of our safety. A full exposition of this difference.

1. The pious mind must ascend still higher, namely, whither Christ calls his disciples when he says, that every one of them must “take up his cross,” (Mt. 16:24). Those whom the Lord has chosen and honoured with his intercourse must prepare for a hard, laborious, troubled life, a life full of many and various kinds of evils; it being the will of our heavenly Father to exercise his people in this way while putting them to the proof. Having begun this course with Christ the first-born, he continues it towards all his children. For though that Son was dear to him above others, the Son in whom he was “well pleased,” yet we see, that far from being treated gently and indulgently, we may say, that not only was he subjected to a perpetual cross while he dwelt on earth, but his whole life was nothing else than a kind of perpetual cross. The Apostle assigns the reason, “Though he was a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered,” (Heb. 5:8). Why then should we exempt ourselves 2017from that condition to which Christ our Head behoved to submit; especially since he submitted on our account, that he might in his own person exhibit a model of patience? Wherefore, the Apostle declares, that all the children of God are destined to be conformed to him. Hence it affords us great consolation in hard and difficult circumstances, which men deem evil and adverse, to think that we are holding fellowship with the sufferings of Christ; that as he passed to celestial glory through a labyrinth of many woes, so we too are conducted thither through various tribulations. For, in another passage, Paul himself thus speaks, “we must through much tribulation enter the kingdom of God,” (Acts 14:22); and again, “that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death,” (Rom 8:29). How powerfully should it soften the bitterness of the cross, to think that the more we are afflicted with adversity, the surer we are made of our fellowship with Christ; by communion with whom our sufferings are not only blessed to us, but tend greatly to the furtherance of our salvation.

2. We may add, that the only thing which made it necessary for our Lord to undertake to bear the cross, was to testify and prove his obedience to the Father; whereas there are many reasons which make it necessary for us to live constantly under the cross. Feeble as we are by nature, and prone to ascribe all perfection to our flesh, unless we receive as it were ocular demonstration of our weakness, we readily estimate our virtue above its proper worth, and doubt not that, whatever happens, it will stand unimpaired and invincible against all difficulties. Hence we indulge a stupid and empty confidence in the flesh, and then trusting to it wax proud against the Lord himself; as if our own faculties were sufficient without his grace. This arrogance cannot be better repressed than when He proves to us by experience, not only how great our weakness, but also our frailty is. Therefore, he visits us with disgrace, or poverty, or bereavement, or disease, or other afflictions. Feeling altogether unable to support them, we forthwith, in so far as regards ourselves, give way, and thus humbled learn to invoke his strength, which alone can enable us to bear up under a weight of affliction. Nay, even the holiest of men, however well aware that they stand not in their own strength, but by the grace of God, would feel too secure in their own fortitude and constancy, were they not brought to a more thorough knowledge of themselves by the trial of the cross. This feeling gained even upon David, “In my prosperity I Said, I shall never be moved. Lord, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled,” (Ps. 30:6, 7). He confesses that in prosperity his feelings were dulled and blunted, so that, neglecting the grace of God, on which alone he ought to have depended, he leant to himself, and promised himself perpetuity. If it so happened to this great prophet, who of us should not fear and study caution? 2018Though in tranquillity they flatter themselves with the idea of greater constancy and patience, yet, humbled by adversity, they learn the deception. Believers, I say, warned by such proofs of their diseases, make progress in humility, and, divesting themselves of a depraved confidence in the flesh, betake themselves to the grace of God, and, when they have so betaken themselves, experience the presence of the divine power, in which is ample protection.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

All the more vile is the stupidity of those persons who open heaven to all the impious and unbelieving without the grace of Him whom Scripture commonly teaches to be the only door whereby we enter into salvation.

John Calvin