If our interpretation of scripture sidesteps common sense, did we get it right?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've all heard the vacuous mantra: "God said it, I believe it, that settles it."
What does this communicate parenthetically?
"It doesn't need to make sense, I just need to accept it." ??? (with a shrug?)

Do we really need to check our brain at the door when we go to church?

There are three subjects that I post a lot about:
1) Universalism (UR)
2) The law, the Law, God's law, Christ's law (four different things)
3) LGBT issues and the church

On the forum, and elsewhere, I run into the common sense roadblock on all three.
Some Christians seem to be incapable of applying common sense to these things.

Perhaps you have subjects that give you similar problems?

/

• Haha
Reactions: ScottA and Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps a good study, is good for the heart and soul. However who the hell wants to do that, and trudge through the trenchs, going deeper to find what is valuable to the heart of God himself? Isnt that what Jesus had shown? The very love that God is?

“For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2‬:‭9‬ ‭NLT‬‬

If that is all there is too it, and Jesus is a complete expression of God through a human body, that would be the spirit of Christ within people to do what he did, which he did always in grace and truth. Then in the end you are responsible for yourself.

Whether you desire to do good works for the LORD allowing him to work in and through you, youll express the godly love (1 corinthians 13.) If you desire to teach, the. Teach, if you desire to edify then edify, in the end what one does for the LORD in loving him first; is also a good thing which is a choice.

Just like studying, teaching, encouraging, edifying, uplifting, reinforcing hope, reinforcing faith to believe that your sins are done paid for and that Yahava does love you, and over all living a life for Him…

Is a miserable suffering trugde through life, in honoring the one you deem your King; even though you have good times and bad times through life your main focus should be loving God first…

Above your family and friends - and to love your neighbor (who is close to you as yourself.)

Does that mean you cant listen to music, eat wonderful food, gather with others, watch a movie, enjoy the events that are given in the world? Nope. You can still live the life you are going to; however when Yahava changes the heart; a new lifestyle comes - where the old lifestyle is put in the grave (whatever that means to you) could be an attitude towards others or, whatever.

Faith, love, hope, and the Spirit. The scriptures are there to reinforce our hope and also renew our mind to the things of the spirit not the world.

Reactions: The Learner

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is how I began a thread on another forum.
That's a tough question on a couple of fronts. Discernment is needed.

At 1st glance, the answe is no; we did not get it right if our interpretation of Scripture sidesteps common sense.

But then holy and divine is not common. A good standard is if we take what is uncommon about our interpretation to be ways that are higher than our ways. For instance, for the 1st 35 years of my life, I could not even conceive of a moral system not founded on justice. God's moral system is based on Grace, forgiving us '7 x 70 times.'

Some believe everything about God is so extreme as a rational to justify wrath to include ECT, Eternal Conscious Torment, i.e., burn in hell forever. This is inconsistent with much Scripture and common sense of what a merciful, good and all loving God would do.

Hope this helps!

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some believe everything about God is so extreme as a rational to justify wrath to include ECT, Eternal Conscious Torment, i.e., burn in hell forever. This is inconsistent with much Scripture and common sense of what a merciful, good and all loving God would do.
God is merciful and loving, yes, but He is also absolute holiness and absolute purity. By that very nature He cannot allow evil to exist indefinitely nor can he allow those not made pure by the blood of the Lamb -- those who willing defy and reject the Lord -- to go unpunished.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does that mean you cant listen to music, eat wonderful food, gather with others, watch a movie, enjoy the events that are given in the world? Nope. You can still live the life you are going to; however when Yahava changes the heart; a new lifestyle comes - where the old lifestyle is put in the grave (whatever that means to you) could be an attitude towards others or, whatever.
I would think that your "taste" would change once you are saved, more discerning of what movies to watch or what music to listen to, and which events you enjoy.

Reactions: The Learner

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.
That's the issue here.
Slander against God's character is easily tolerated when we are told it is biblical.
As if someone's interpretation can't be WRONG.
Common sense should say, "No!"

/

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He cannot allow evil to exist indefinitely
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
How long has evil existed currently?
He doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do anything about it.
What's a few more millennia?

/

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would think that your "taste" would change once you are saved, more discerning of what movies to watch or what music to listen to, and which events you enjoy.

Do you believe that God will move out of a person for watching a horror movie, or reading a romatic novel, or listening to some heavy rock. sleeping with their boyfriend or girlfriend (and they are an unbeliever?) I do see what your saying though an old lifestyle is dead in the grave with Christ, there is newness of life a change of heart, with the resurrection of the Lord.

Last edited:

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
How long has evil exited currently?
He doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do anything about it.
What's a few more millennia?

/
I should've said sin rather than evil. That said, my conclusion is based off of His absolute holiness.

His plan and His timeline are His own -- He certainly doesn't need to answer to me for them.

I do not presume to sit in judgment on God over how HE runs HIS creation -- or for any other reason, for that matter. Ever. Very bad idea.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that God will move out of a person for watching a horror movie, or reading a romatic novel, or listening to some heavy rock. sleeping with their boyfriend or girlfriend (and they are an unbeliever?) I do see what your saying though an old lifestyle is dead in the grave with Christ, there is newness of life a change of heart, with the resurrection of the Lord.
That is not what I said. Once you repent and are saved, you become a new creature and you will change. That is the new part. 2 Cor 5:17 "
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."
The changes may be gradual but there will be changes. There are things you wont do anymore because you love the Lord and feel that those activities would hurt Him. You want to do His will.
I believe that if one repeatedly does something he knows is wrong, his eternal life may be in danger.

For me one thing was smoking. I liked smoking but felt it was wrong. I tried to quit an couldn't. God and I worked out a plan to quit and it worked--smoke free for a decade. This does not mean that one is condemned for smoking. It does mean for me, had I not quit, I could be in jeopardy.
I have a long way to go, but if something starts bothering me, that is when I need to address it with Jesus.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not presume to sit in judgment on God over how HE runs HIS creation -- or for any other reason, for that matter. Ever. Very bad idea.
Don't you think it is demeaning of God to view him as a cosmic tyrant?
Where's the common sense in that? Don't we know better?

/

Reactions: Mr E

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not what I said. Once you repent and are saved, you become a new creature and you will change. That is the new part. 2 Cor 5:17 "
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."
Cassandra, I did not mean to try to deter you from what you saying at all. Yes, to this I do agree.
The changes may be gradual but there will be changes. There are things you wont do anymore because you love the Lord and feel that those activities would hurt Him. You want to do His will.
I believe that if one repeatedly does something he knows is wrong, his eternal life may be in danger.
You are absolutely right here.
For me one thing was smoking. I liked smoking but felt it was wrong. I tried to quit an couldn't. God and I worked out a plan to quit and it worked--smoke free for a decade.
Wow, that right there with the help of the LORD is an amazing testimony, because it was something you desired to do in and with his help. There are many people who need that type of encouragement in my opinion, to continue to seek after Yahava, in order to gain some self-control of their actions of what can end up really ruining ones health if they so choose to. There are many things that can harm us, not only psychically but spiritually hinder as well.
This does not mean that one is condemned for smoking. It does mean for me, had I not quit, I could be in jeopardy.
I have a long way to go, but if something starts bothering me, that is when I need to address it with Jesus.
Cassandra, thank you for sharing these things with me, it encourages me.

Reactions: Philip James

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've all heard the vacuous mantra: "God said it, I believe it, that settles it."
What does this communicate parenthetically?
"It doesn't need to make sense, I just need to accept it." ??? (with a shrug?)

There are three subjects that I post a lot about:
1) Universalism (UR)
2) The law, the Law, God's law, Christ's law (four different things)
3) LGBT issues and the church

On the forum, and elsewhere, I run into the common sense roadblock on all three.
Some Christians seem to be incapable of applying common sense to these things.

Perhaps you have subjects that give you similar problems?

/
"It doesn't need to make sense, I just need to accept it" is not biblical. There's no teaching anywhere in the New Testament that suggests we should trust an un-trusting item. This concept of taking it on faith is not biblical. It's Catholic.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"It doesn't need to make sense, I just need to accept it" is not biblical. There's no teaching anywhere in the New Testament that suggests we should trust an un-trusting item. This concept of taking it on faith is not biblical. It's Catholic.
How did you conclude that it was Catholic?
I'm fairly sure it is of Protestant origin. But I can't confirm that.
Sounds like an evangelical Bible-thumper quote.

Probably has to do with the memorization and use of biblical apologetics.
The answer-to-every-question mindset. "If Jesus is the answer, there shouldn't be any questions."

/

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are led through scripture by the Holy Spirit.

We are not led through scripture by our common sense, that doesn’t even make sense to me.

We’re talking the word of God...what common sense is there in man’s words?

Again common sense in God’s word doesn’t stand.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are not led through scripture by our common sense, that doesn’t even make sense to me.

1 Corinthians 1:18 - For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

So much for common sense in regard to the wisdom of the world. (1 Corinthians 2:11-14)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 1:18 - For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

So much for common sense in regard to the wisdom of the world. (1 Corinthians 2:11-14)
Do you think that some are gullible to bad doctrine?

/

• Love
Reactions: Mr E and mailmandan

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Would you be gullible to common stupidity if someone claimed it was biblical truth?

/

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ritajanice

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably not.

There are many people who cannot (or do not) differentiate between Scripture and my-interpretation-of-Scripture.

Perhaps they don't try to interpret Scripture. Perhaps they are in the habit of relying on others to do this for them. That isn't even a bad thing!

But if you're not going to rely on others, then you'd better do a good job of vetting the people you rely on. And that... well it doesn't seem to be happening. There are too many unaccredited pastors, teachers whose credentials were ordered off the Internet. And even those who have received a seminary education, mostly receive a partisan education - they have been taught only the teaching of their own group.

A better Christian education would include multiple interpretations, and ask the student to work out their beliefs from among them.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are too many unaccredited pastors, teachers whose credentials were ordered off the Internet. And even those who have received a seminary education, mostly receive a partisan education - they have been taught only the teaching of their own group.
Unfortunate that the government has to have their hand in licensing ministers and marriages.
God's calling and blessing isn't enough. I understand that it is for good, but still... ???

/