If You Had the Opportunity...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Angelina said:
It amazes me how quickly this topic has gone off track.
2a95egg.gif

If you'd like to discuss another topic please feel free to do so...however, the O/P was ~
Angelina,

The use of logical fallacies is the bane of logical discussion. We can't engage in logical discussion if a person refuses to deal with the issues raised. Such people need to be called for what they are doing. That's what I've done in identifying a red herring fallacy.

A red herring logical fallacy is the fallacy used when a person chooses his or her own response but it's a different agenda to the one addressed. That's what the person did to my response at #14. For a description, see, 'Fallacy: Red Herring' (The Nizkor Project).

It's not going 'off track', but identifying illogic in discussions. We can't have logical discussions when people use logical fallacies.

Oz

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
OzSpen said:
Angelina,

The use of logical fallacies is the bane of logical discussion. We can't engage in logical discussion if a person refuses to deal with the issues raised. Such people need to be called for what they are doing. That's what I've done in identifying a red herring fallacy.

A red herring logical fallacy is the fallacy used when a person chooses his or her own response but it's a different agenda to the one addressed. That's what the person did to my response at #14.

It's not going 'off track', but identifying illogic in discussion.

Oz
That's fine...start another topic in the debate forum so that you can deal with those issues raised. The topic is off track when it does not refer to the O/P...

If you had the opportunity, would you be able to explain clearly what Christianity is all about?
It's a simple enough question and I would be very interested in comments from our members.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Angelina said:
That's fine...start another topic in the debate forum so that you can deal with those issues raised. The topic is off track when it does not refer to the O/P...

It's a simple enough question and I would be very interested in comments from our members.
Yes, it is a simple enough question and I have responded to it at #13.

Therefore, my calling attention to what a person is doing with the use of logical fallacies in a discussion is my attempt to keep the discussion on track and not off and running with another topic - by the use of a red herring fallacy.

Or, am I to accept that you do not want me to challenge the illogic a person is using in a thread?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Okay you have still not got this yet and I'm being really patient here. If you want to deal with an issue raised then take it to the debate forum and leave this one to continue on it's original trajectory. <_<

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ezekiel said:
A walk with God the Father thru Christ blessed be thy names.
DogLady19 said:
Yes, I can... and I work hard to be prepared to do so in every circumstance... and we all the opportunity every day.
Good steering back to the OP! Thanks! :)

Reactions: DogLady19

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:
But what do you do when people say they believe, but don't go to church because of the hipocrisy they rightly see from its members.
I'd just remind them that hypocrisy is everywhere - may as well find some hypocrites that actually love you at church. The only alternative to hypocrisy without God is giving up all standards of personal ethics and morality.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
aspen said:
I'd just remind them that hypocrisy is everywhere - may as well find some hypocrites that actually love you at church. The only alternative to hypocrisy without God is giving up all standards of personal ethics and morality.
Good point! People who won't go to church because of the hypocrites are hypocrites themselves, because I bet they work with hypocrites, go to school with them, eat at restaurants with them, hang out at the beach with them, etc.

And what about this one: "Churches just want my money!" Well, so does the grocery store that supplies your food, the doctor that treats your diseases, the school that educates your children, etc.

B

brakelite

Christianity is a generic term that covers all who more or less claim a connection to and belief in the person of, and the teachings of Jesus Christ.

katabole

Nov 11, 2010
The true North
What is Christianity all about?

In its simplest form...

It is a love relationship between a person and God the Father, through the sacrifice of His only begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ by the power of God's Spirit, the Holy Spirit.

wesOK

Apr 26, 2016
Christianity is very simple. It is us humans that make it seem difficult. We have to be compassionate, kind, and forgiving if we want to be truly happy in this life. Our goal in life is to be more Christlike and these three characteristics are vital in doing this. We must also do this to teach our children and youth how to obtain these attributes. it is our responsibility as well as the churches. We can help our churches through fundraisers and programs like cell Phones 4 Churches. This will give them the ability to get the resources needed to help in this education process. It is definitely not the responsibility of the public schools and we must recognize that fact. We must be examples of living what Jesus taught us. Love everyone you come across in life and treat others the way you want to be treated.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well said wesOK and welcome to CyB. I have not heard of "Cell Phones 4Churches" Please elaborate if you will :huh:

Blessings!