If you have ADHD/ADD, what has helped you?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We just have to face whatever waters He has allowed to flow our way...like the deep rooted and precious pillars we are.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Get yourself one of those nice Christian girls with the floral prints and the floppy summer hats and the Bible Study coloring Instagrams, where they got all of the fancy hashtags and post a coffee or tea with every picture in blush filter

Hey, if she does it purposefully and in faith...

LLLLEEETSSSSSS GOOOOOOO!

But, yeah, I'm praying for a mighty helpmate!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, if she does it purposefully and in faith...

LLLLEEETSSSSSS GOOOOOOO!

But, yeah, I'm praying for a mighty helpmate!

It's cliche but I think they make the best wives! You already know what they're focused on... I wouldn't date anyone that uses Instagram or any mainstream social media because it's too much trouble and I don't need that trash in my life- I want someone faithful, but the Instagram blush filter girls are probably perfect brides to be!

I'll pray for you, too!

Reactions: Tone

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks! lol I am and I'm dying inside. Big headache... I might have to step back from the internet today a little bit because I've already been tempted to tell one person off, who was wrong anyways, but I'm afraid of saying all of the wrong things today!
march on n the glorious Lord sister . You are loved and we will be praying for you .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's cliche but I think they make the best wives! You already know what they're focused on... I wouldn't date anyone that uses Instagram or any mainstream social media because it's too much trouble and I don't need that trash in my life- I want someone faithful, but the Instagram blush filter girls are probably perfect brides to be!

I'll pray for you, too!

Yeah, I don't date...never have...

We're either in or out and no more girlfriends for me...I've only had like 3 serious ones anyways...

No, I'm wifing (hey that's like WiFi...) or just going about the Kingdom Business wifeless, and it won't be long now.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What exactly do people mean when the say those things...ADD...ADHD...?.

My parents took me to see a shrink when I was a kid, because I was hyper active and I was always the class clown and I couldn't sit still.

Looking back I see how my behavior was probably a result of childhood trauma (abusive home life).

But, I'm pretty smart too (I guess) so I knew how to answer the shrink so I wouldn't get any unwanted attention...

So, I never was diagnosed or prescribed meds. Or anything like that, but I did begin to use other street level substances at an early age and I've wondered if it was what's called self-medicating.

Anyways, I've come to the understanding that I'm a born artist and adreneline junky...like I like to live on the edge and when I fought wildland fire I was in my element.

So, I believe you are an artist too, so you are blessed with some extra oomf, so maybe it's not a matter of trying to conform to certain societal expectations, but rather to find alternate channels of expression wherein our talents and abilities are used for Kingdom Work!

Personally, I believe, MEN decide what THEY expect a persons BEHAVIOR should be and WHEN a persons BEHAVIOR does not FIT a mans MOLD, MAN "labels" a persons "UNMOLDED" behavior ... a MENTAL ILLNESS.
And then, psychologically (indoctrination), and with drugs TRIES to MAKE the person, MOLDED into what MEN have
DECLARED "acceptable".

Psychobabble, in my opinion.
And the sad thing is...the person "clinically diagnosed" with "mental illness"...believes it, carries it, relys on it, uses it as excuses...
IOW...regardless of all the psychology and drugs...the LABEL is always at the persons constant forefront.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
march on n the glorious Lord sister . You are loved and we will be praying for you .
Thank you, Amigo! Love you too! :D

Personally, I believe, MEN decide what THEY expect a persons BEHAVIOR should be and WHEN a persons BEHAVIOR does not FIT a mans MOLD, MAN "labels" a persons "UNMOLDED" behavior ... a MENTAL ILLNESS.
And then, psychologically (indoctrination), and with drugs TRIES to MAKE the person, MOLDED into what MEN have
DECLARED "acceptable".

Psychobabble, in my opinion.
And the sad thing is...the person "clinically diagnosed" with "mental illness"...believes it, carries it, relys on it, uses it as excuses...
IOW...regardless of all the psychology and drugs...the LABEL is always at the persons constant forefront.
I think it can go two ways.. I don't look for reasons for excuses, but I will work towards finding out what the best solutions are for myself to get to the place that I want to be. If I understand myself better then I have a better chance at finding out what works for me. Sort of like hacking your brain. I'm also a firm believer in neuroplasticity, so I think there is always a way to fix *almost* anything.

I wouldn't say so much that we're "making up" diseases, but I will say that I believe wholeheartedly that we're responsible for creating the majority of them. Diet, processed food, pollution, electronic binging, television, etc... harsh chemicals ...

How long did the Victorians live with that green paint or did the girls keep licking the radioactive paint for glow in the dark clocks before the damage was already done? Even hats with mercury were making people crazy. Women were burned at the stakes for being witches after just having some bad rye bread. The difference is now we already know what we're doing and we're just doing it anyway.

I wouldn't get "officially" diagnosed either, because I will never take the drugs that they prescribe. So it would be sort of pointless for me to go and have someone tell me what I already know... just to walk out and say "Okay thanks" and go back to taking care of things the same exact way I already was.

But I also don't doubt these things anymore, and I wouldn't want to assume that someone is "just fine" when they are actually in need of help and struggling massively with daily life. I think people did that with me too long and it prevented me from considering even looking into the help that I needed.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't date...never have...

We're either in or out and no more girlfriends for me...I've only had like 3 serious ones anyways...

No, I'm wifing (hey that's like WiFi...) or just going about the Kingdom Business wifeless, and it won't be long now.

Do you think dating is unbiblical? Is that why? I've actually been thinking through this myself. Paul Washer talked about this and it's been on my mind for the last few years. (Yeah, years...) Reading through the story of Samson, he spent time with the girl, and he decided he liked her. She liked him too - and then that was it and they got married.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it can go two ways.. I don't look for reasons for excuses, but I will work towards finding out what the best solutions are for myself to get to the place that I want to be. If I understand myself better then I have a better chance at finding out what works for me. Sort of like hacking your brain. I'm also a firm believer in neuroplasticity, so I think there is always a way to fix *almost* anything.

I wouldn't say so much that we're "making up" diseases, but I will say that I believe wholeheartedly that we're responsible for creating the majority of them. Diet, processed food, pollution, electronic binging, television, etc... harsh chemicals ...

How long did the Victorians live with that green paint or did the girls keep licking the radioactive paint for glow in the dark clocks before the damage was already done? Even hats with mercury were making people crazy. Women were burned at the stakes for being witches after just having some bad rye bread. The difference is now we already know what we're doing and we're just doing it anyway.

I wouldn't get "officially" diagnosed either, because I will never take the drugs that they prescribe. So it would be sort of pointless for me to go and have someone tell me what I already know... just to walk out and say "Okay thanks" and go back to taking care of things the same exact way I already was.

But I also don't doubt these things anymore, and I wouldn't want to assume that someone is "just fine" when they are actually in need of help and struggling massively with daily life. I think people did that with me too long and it prevented me from considering even looking into the help that I needed.

Not putting anyone particular in a box... excuses, reasons, crutch, etc. Individuals each know how they deal with impatience, boredom, disorganization, restlessness, etc.

Everyone is an individual, knowing what they like, don't like, and how individuals react, I do not believe equates to a mental illness.

I am extremely organized. That is my choice. I like having what I have, get rid of what I don't want, and enjoying having my things organized...because I feel as if my time is wasted looking for things.
And wasted time...means, putting off accomplishing the things I want to accomplish.
I like to stay busy, work...again my choice.
Idleness bores me.

Not everyone is like me. Nor do they have to be. IMO, a person is not mentally ill, because they are doing tasks, avoiding tasks, multitasking, bored, like this thing, or does not like that thing.

A school setting is designed to conform, AS IF, every single child, should be a little robot, like, do, participate, structured as dictated...
And when they don't....psychoanalyze them and drug them...Loooong term.

I've taught academics, scripture, sports, music, at home, my kids, kids cousins, deaf kids, friends kids, brothers.... they were all different, learned differently, processed differently, but ended up accomplished learning in a fashion they enjoyed, rather than dreading and feeling caged.

As adults we set our own goals, desires, and methods to accomplish.
And easy to get discouraged, if trying to set a long list of goals, (that is set in ones mind, by someone else's ideas or societies ideas)...
One is simply then trying to still do what another thinks is acceptable.

If you personally decide you want to make changes...great...make the changes that fit you..and work on one change at a time...to avoid being overwhelmed.

Not a secret, lots of people struggle with daily life, for all kinds of reasons. Lonely, Debt, messy, fat, broke, relationships, addictions, pains, etc. All negative. Try to fix all at once...
Too overwhelming. Hoping for a complete reverse in a short amount of time. Unrealistic.
Easier to give up. Not having ONE Positive thing to include daily....really easier to give up.
Finding ONE thing one Really Enjoys, must be a daily thing to include, that can be started and stopped any time of the day.
As in mentioning kids I taught..."playing" was ones only thoughts...8 yr old, boy, couldn't read but like a 3 yr old baby words. The method I used for him during the day, included multiple times of us "playing" what he liked. 6 weeks later, his reading was on target of a 12 yr old which, increased his knowledge in all the subjects we were studying.

Reactions: Tone and DuckieLady

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think dating is unbiblical? Is that why? I've actually been thinking through this myself. Paul Washer talked about this and it's been on my mind for the last few years. (Yeah, years...) Reading through the story of Samson, he spent time with the girl, and he decided he liked her. She liked him too - and then that was it and they got married.

Wait...are we talking about the girl that betrayed him?

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, I wanted to begin to shoot down the whole concept of dating...or at least my understanding of it, but when I used the words, ,"check listing," "vetting" (which I boiled down to "gossiping"), and "testing"...I started having second thoughts...particularly on the last word, and your thread on just this topic came to mind.

I've disregarded societal conventions so automatically that I haven't really looked into the subject of dating either way...I just know how it went down for me in the past.

Maybe I do need to really look deeper into any woman I am attracted to...

I guess, and I'm kinda just realizing this, that I've had such low self-esteem growing up that I was just happy that any girl would be nice to me and show interest in me...

...huh...this explains why I'm usually not the initiater in my past relationships...

But, now it's not about that old me that had sights set low...rather, it's about the Kingdom Work that He has prepared for us to do.

So, I am restlessly waiting for her to come (as a murder of crows) and eat up all the she demons flying at me...(this is based on a dream I had not too long ago)...flesh hanging from her beaks...

...so...yeah...

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OOOoooohhh guuuuuurrrll...I almost smoked a cigarette right now...

...but nah...

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I wanted to begin to shoot down the whole concept of dating...or at least my understanding of it, but when I used the words, ,"check listing," "vetting" (which I boiled down to "gossiping"), and "testing"...I started having second thoughts...particularly on the last word, and your thread on just this topic came to mind.

I've disregarded societal conventions so automatically that I haven't really looked into the subject of dating either way...I just know how it went down for me in the past.

Maybe I do need to really look deeper into any woman I am attracted to...

I guess, and I'm kinda just realizing this, that I've had such low self-esteem growing up that I was just happy that any girl would be nice to me and show interest in me...

...huh...this explains why I'm usually not the initiater in my past relationships...

But, now it's not about that old me that had sights set low...rather, it's about the Kingdom Work that He has prepared for us to do.

So, I am restlessly waiting for her to come (as a murder of crows) and eat up all the she demons flying at me...(this is based on a dream I had not too long ago)...flesh hanging from her beaks...

...so...yeah...

That makes sense to me... I have a history of not caring enough and ending up with the wrong people for the sake of ending up with someone, and then just making it work because we're already there and now it just keeps going and I don't really know how I got there. (That's the ADHD/time blindness.) I don't fall in love very easily and if I do I pretty much know immediately.

So like twice. Married the first one. Turned out he married me for a sign on bonus and a marriage of convenience, so that was a bad choice anyway. Go figure.

I wasted years or something in an LDR that I knew I wasn't really head over heels in love or anything, just because I was already there and I didn't really know what to do about it, until I just got so fed up with him that I called it off. And the night I did, my house got struck by lightning! Scared all of the ducks out of me!

Thank goodness the power was out!

I don't know if a murder of crows eating demons is a good way to describe your future wife. LOL

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That makes sense to me... I have a history of not caring enough and ending up with the wrong people for the sake of ending up with someone, and then just making it work because we're already there and now it just keeps going and I don't really know how I got there. (That's the ADHD/time blindness.) I don't fall in love very easily and if I do I pretty much know immediately.

So like twice. Married the first one. Turned out he married me for a sign on bonus and a marriage of convenience, so that was a bad choice anyway. Go figure.

I wasted years or something in an LDR that I knew I wasn't really head over heels in love or anything, just because I was already there and I didn't really know what to do about it, until I just got so fed up with him that I called it off. And the night I did, my house got struck by lightning! Scared all of the ducks out of me!

Thank goodness the power was out!

I don't know if a murder of crows eating demons is a good way to describe your future wife. LOL

Hmmm, yeah, I don't know what it's like to be head over heels in love...How do you know immediately if you are, if you don't mind?

All of my past relationships were unplanned and unscripted...hmmm...maybe that's why they're "past relationships"...

I was always just dealing with my own craziness that I had no business calling anybody my lady... really...if I'm being perfectly honest. I was nowhere near being husband material.

But, as everything else I've been through, I don't consider it a total loss, I've learned some things from those women that will buttress my marriage...I won't fail my wife over some struggle within my own mind/heart. Some outside hand will have to pluck me away from her.

I had to Google LDR...never had one. I've never came close to actually meeting someone online and then talking to them over the phone or something. Well, I did message my number to a member on another forum, but I must have been going through something, because it was out of the blue and, of course, no reciprocation.

Whoa, sounds like some powerful forces were at play in that LDR...huh!

Ha ha, yeah, that's just how the interpretation seemed to be for this vivid dream I had about a garden, a haunted house, some banshees, a bunch of crows, and a LOTR scale blizzard!

I guess something inside was trying to say, "Hey, this drive you have for the female species will be reined in by marrying just the right woman...one that can channel your energy and keep you holy!".

Hebrews 13:4
Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

So the symbolism of her eating the flesh, represents my sex drive being under control...I guess. Which is a good thing!

Reactions: DuckieLady

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I feel really good about not having a cigarette today! My mouth feels fresher and my teeth look whiter! I don't have that regret or distracting thoughts about getting some lung disease or something!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm, yeah, I don't know what it's like to be head over heels in love...How do you know immediately if you are, if you don't mind?
I guess I just "knew." Love at first sight, I guess. I know what that's like but it didn't really work out in my favor. LOL Unrequited. I wasn't marriage material for anyone, either... at the time.

The LDR relationship was in different countries. God didn't let it happen. We had some time in person and he was good to me, but I knew it wasn't it.

I guess something inside was trying to say, "Hey, this drive you have for the female species will be reined in by marrying just the right woman...one that can channel your energy and keep you holy!".
That's intense!

Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
AMEN.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I just "knew." Love at first sight, I guess. I know what that's like but it didn't really work out in my favor. LOL Unrequited. I wasn't marriage material for anyone, either... at the time.

The LDR relationship was in different countries. God didn't let it happen. We had some time in person and he was good to me, but I knew it wasn't it.

That's intense!

AMEN.

"Intense"...how's that?

Oh, yeah it's reminiscent of Abigail (David's second wife)...she kept him from an emotional torrent of destruction...!

"AMEN", huh...ohhhhhh yyyyeeeaaaauugghhhh!

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yeah, my chest cavity wants to act up all of a sudden with a slight cough...reacting against my decision to deprive it of nicotine...

Oh well, I got it in a headlock.

And lil miss pretty came in all done up and she was like, "I'm gonna go say hi to the boss, and I'll come up for a cigarette..."

...and as she came back up...I was heading out, with a "have a good day!"

Ha ha, letssss goooo...further up and further in my friends!