If

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if 75% think something is true? Does that make it true?
Even if 100% believe a thing that isn't true. It remains untrue. Truth isn't relative, but an absolute that can be described mathematically. If this weren't the case, computer technology wouldn't work, your bank account balances could never be trusted, and when you turned the ignition key in your car, maybe it would work with no parts failures, maybe it wouldn't.
Elijah the prophet opposed 400 prophets of Baal and those Baal worshipers agreed upon what they believed, but God confirmed Elijah's words, while Baal couldn't do a thing to confirm his prophets (he was just a carved piece of wood or stone.) It didn't turn out well for those prophets of Baal.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even if 100% believe a thing that isn't true. It remains untrue. Truth isn't relative, but an absolute that can be described mathematically. If this weren't the case, computer technology wouldn't work, your bank account balances could never be trusted, and when you turned the ignition key in your car, maybe it would work with no parts failures, maybe it wouldn't.
Elijah the prophet opposed 400 prophets of Baal and those Baal worshipers agreed upon what they believed, but God confirmed Elijah's words, while Baal couldn't do a thing to confirm his prophets (he was just a carved piece of wood or stone.) It didn't turn out well for those prophets of Baal.
Can you think of something most Christians believe, that isn't true? (If so, it might be better not to say what it is.)

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you think of something most Christians believe, that isn't true? (If so, it might be better not to say what it is.)
I couldn't say, simply because I have no idea what "most" Christians believe beyond the person of God revealed in Jesus Christ and that is something true. (A person couldn't be Christian without that belief)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bob,

Who is your ultimate authority in spiritual matters? Do you rely on the majority of Christians and their views or do you depend on the ultimate will of God the Father as stated in Scripture?

Oz
Paul taught us to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). I try to listen to what God tells me. He would be my final authority.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Accepting Christ is a choice.

Deuteronomy 30:19-20
[19]I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
[20]That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Joshua 24:15
[15]And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Whosoever......

John 3:15-16

[15]That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
[16]For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2 Peter 3:9

[9]The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Ezekiel 33:11
[11]Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the majority of Christians believe something to be true, can we assume it's true?
That's a trick question. If I say yes, that sounds logical; since most believers are led by the Holy Spirit and the HS gives us truth, then the Catholics (who I think may have the majority) can say, "Well then, listen to the Pope".
If I say no, then the light thay supposed to shine from Body of Christ then looks dull and uncertain, untrustworthy to unbelievers.
Which way do go?
I don't like trick questions that lead down the wrong path.
We are to look to Christ, He is the truth. Truth means reality and He is the ultimate reality. Humanity is tainted with sin and therefore untrustworthy - to make general assumptions.
I might have made a mistake by using the same argument with Non-Trinitarians, saying that since 98% of Christians believe in the Trinity, it must be so. ???
Well, maybe that one is an exception to the rule.
All in all, we look to Christ's Word for truth. I know, discrepancies in the interpretations abound.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a trick question. If I say yes, that sounds logical; since most believers are led by the Holy Spirit and the HS gives us truth, then the Catholics (who I think may have the majority) can say, "Well then, listen to the Pope".
If I say no, then the light thay supposed to shine from Body of Christ then looks dull and uncertain, untrustworthy to unbelievers.
Which way do go?
I don't like trick questions that lead down the wrong path.
We are to look to Christ, He is the truth. Truth means reality and He is the ultimate reality. Humanity is tainted with sin and therefore untrustworthy - to make general assumptions.
I might have made a mistake by using the same argument with Non-Trinitarians, saying that since 98% of Christians believe in the Trinity, it must be so. ???
Well, maybe that one is an exception to the rule.
All in all, we look to Christ's Word for truth. I know, discrepancies in the interpretations abound.
Not so much a trick question. I think there are things most Christians believe to be true, that aren't true.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Paul taught us to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). I try to listen to what God tells me. He would be my final authority.

Bob,

Here, Paul used the most comprehensive Greek word for prayer, based on the noun, proseuche, which means that a Christian must not reduce the regular habit of "taking hold on God" in the midst of all circumstances (cf. Rom 12:12; Eph 6:18; Col 4:2) [William Hendricksen commentary, 1 Thessalonians, p. 138].

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bob,

Here, Paul used the most comprehensive Greek word for prayer, based on the noun, proseuche, which means that a Christian must not reduce the regular habit of "taking hold on God" in the midst of all circumstances (cf. Rom 12:12; Eph 6:18; Col 4:2) [William Hendricksen commentary, 1 Thessalonians, p. 138].

Oz
That's the same illogical conclusion. You know what is happening in countries of the West where a large percentage of people promote the LGBTI+ lifestyle. That does not make it correct when the issues surrounding homosexuality have excluded God's view.

See my article: Why politicians should not support ‘marriage equality’[1]

Oz
I think prayer is a simple concept - we talk with the Lord, understanding he is boss, loves us, and knows what's best for us.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's the same illogical conclusion. You know what is happening in countries of the West where a large percentage of people promote the LGBTI+ lifestyle. That does not make it correct when the issues surrounding homosexuality have excluded God's view.

See my article: Why politicians should not support ‘marriage equality’[1]

Oz
Our church (nationwide) is at war because of the LGBTI+ issue, and I find it very painful, living in a liberal conference. God made it very clear that homosexuality is a sin - why are many of our pastors criticizing those of us that believe that?

But back to the other issue - how about 99.2%?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Our church (nationwide) is at war because of the LGBTI+ issue, and I find it very painful, living in a liberal conference. God made it very clear that homosexuality is a sin - why are many of our pastors criticizing those of us that believe that?

But back to the other issue - how about 99.2%?

I reach the same conclusion. It is erroneous reasoning to pursue an Appeal to Popularity as we haven't discussed the issues relating to the topic. The erroneous reasoning can be reduced after much discussion, but 100% support is rarely going to be achieved.

Oz