If

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You are the second today to call me that....Seems Gnostic authorities are making their presence known. Personally I don’t know what Gnosticism is or delve into their beliefs....as you and @Pierac seem to have an infatuation with them.
He who says that he knows anything does not yet know it as he ought
i’d rather never eat meat again
we’re tired of this manna, give us some meat to eat

et al, several references to what were later labeled “gnostics” i guess

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He who says that he knows anything does not yet know it as he ought
i’d rather never eat meat again
we’re tired of this manna, give us some meat to eat

et al, several references to what were later labeled “gnostics” i guess

Whatever floats ur boat. Not my teaching.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, google can prolly do better than i there,
Non-canonical books referenced in the Bible | Wikiwand
and you might find some other sources by searching “non canonical books referenced in the bible by Paul” or a similar search. As i recall he made reference to Stoics, Epicureans, and some other writings considered sacred at the time

The Bible consists of 66 books. Thats the only word of God. All others are not, and while you can read them, they are not to be taught as being from God.

WCF chpt 1, part 3.
“The books commonly called Apocrypha, not being of divine inspiration, are no part of the canon of the Scripture, and therefore are of no authority in the church of God, nor to be any otherwise approved, or made use of, than other human writings.”

WCF longer catechism:
“Q3. What is the Word of God?
A. The Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament are the Word of God, the only rule of faith and obedience.”

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The Bible consists of 66 books. Thats the only word of God. All others are not, and while you can read them, they are not to be taught as being from God.

WCF chpt 1, part 3.
“The books commonly called Apocrypha, not being of divine inspiration, are no part of the canon of the Scripture, and therefore are of no authority in the church of God, nor to be any otherwise approved, or made use of, than other human writings.”

WCF longer catechism:
“Q3. What is the Word of God?
A. The Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament are the Word of God, the only rule of faith and obedience.”
i dont think Bible is Word, sorry; rhema is not pneuma, etc

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha well funny you put it that way, as presuming to teach is kinda the point?
it isnt so much about what particular things gnostics believed i dont think, so much as their superior attitude, maybe

No one is a designated teacher on this forum (except for maybe self-proclaimed teacher BOL)....
However when men are sharing their Beliefs, for some it is new knowledge and learning from another. It’s the individuals responsibility to Verify with the source...Scripture itself.

Reactions: Cassandra

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
No one is a designated teacher on this forum (except for maybe self-proclaimed teacher BOL)....
However when men are sharing their Beliefs, for some it is new knowledge and learning from another. It’s the individuals responsibility to Verify with the source...Scripture itself.
I was thinking early this morning about some of the dialogue on forums that occurs when a doubtful doctrine is placed under the microscope of Godly truth, and how readers have the opportunity to be edified by this or to cling to something that is off.

2Ti 2:23-26 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. (24) And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, (25) in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, (26) and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking early this morning about some of the dialogue on forums that occurs when a doubtful doctrine is placed under the microscope of Godly truth, and how readers have the opportunity to be edified by this or to cling to something that is off.

2Ti 2:23-26 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. (24) And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, (25) in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, (26) and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

A few can identify their WHY (this) with Scripture, many can not.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont think Bible is Word, sorry; rhema is not pneuma, etc

John 6:
[63] It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Reactions: farouk

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
heretic!!!
well, i was a bit on the fly there or i might have put that differently lol
you can't Quote "Holy Bible," and the diff in holy and sacred is rather fine, maybe; as to Scripture being Word that usually ends up being a self-serving thing, a la "The Bible says it so i believe it, since it's the Word" with the implication being anyone who disagrees is a...heretic? maybe
They heard the Word and then searched the Scriptures, to see if it were true
Not even considering that the real Word would naturally be obscured and not sought for, if one assumes that the Bible is Word

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
John 6:
[63] It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
yes; "words" are not Word
John 6:63 Lexicon: "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.
Strong's Greek: 4487. ῥῆμα (rhéma) -- a word, by impl. a matter

ha well funny you put it that way, as presuming to teach is kinda the point?
it isnt so much about what particular things gnostics believed i dont think, so much as their superior attitude, maybe
what, after all, is eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge?
might likely be more about the attitude one presents, indicated by their syntax, etc

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes; "words" are not Word
John 6:63 Lexicon: "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.
Strong's Greek: 4487. ῥῆμα (rhéma) -- a word, by impl. a matter

what, after all, is eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge?

might likely be more about the attitude one presents, indicated by their syntax, etc

Your Hangup on gnostic, teaching, attitude is your burden.
I don’t know what gnostic’s believe.
I share what I believe.
I know what I believe and why and have full confidence in my beliefs.
And that ^ has nothing to do with you.
I have no clue what you believe, nor does that affect me.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Your Hangup on gnostic, teaching, attitude is your burden.
well you can say that--however gnostically--but see that it might not be true; i could put you on ignore, or just ignore you, etc, and i dont mean to imply that a Gnostic is always completely wrong, or that things cant be learned from them

I don’t know what gnostic’s believe.
oh, they might be said to have unique opinions about where the sun rose, or things that they imagine dont stink, both coming from the same general area? :D

I share what I believe.
i totally under stand, and i would not try to dissuade you; but i would point out that you post them as facts, not beliefs?
"Sharing" generally comes from a position of mutual respect, i think?

I know what I believe and why and have full confidence in my beliefs.
then they are in fact not really "beliefs" at all, right? Arent those Absolute Truths? To your mind, i mean? I dont want to put too fine a point on this as it might come across as accusing, when it's something i do every day (that i have neglected to die) myself; but what, after all, is "wise in his own eyes?"

i know we have passages for "knowing" and "blessed assurance," but i suggest that the Bible might be deliberately jerking our chain there, maybe; or putting out a little bait!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i totally under stand, and i would not try to dissuade you; but i would point out that you post them as facts, not beliefs?
"Sharing" generally comes from a position of mutual respect, i think?

Can’t speak for you, however, of course I post what I believe is fact.
Is there a ‘lie to me’ thread I missed?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah, hmm...might be more like "lie to yourself?"
dunno
Did Jacob lie to Isaac?
ha zing guess he did huh

everything i say is a lie :)

Ok, thanks for the warning. :)

I fully aware men lie. Some intentionally, Some unintentionally.

I Believe in the Lord God Almighty. (HE) (HIM) (HIS)
I Trust and Believe HE has provided a worthy source for me to have TRUE KNOWLEDGE “about” HIM.
I Trust and Believe via the KNOWLEDGE, HE made an Offering to all men,
By, Through, Of HIS Works, for all men, to Forever BE WITH HIM, ‘if’ that be a mans hearts desire.
My hearts desire was to freely accept HIS Offering, and did so.

I can guess you are familiar with HIS Offering. IF you accepted HIS Offering or not, I can not speak for you....nor by the same token should you speak for me directly or by inference.

I take full advantage of reading and studying the KNOWLEDGE I Trust HE provided for me to KNOW “about” HIM.
I take full advantage of Having a one on one RELATIONSHIP with the Lord God Almighty.
* I take full advantage of the “PERKS”, that go along with having a one on one RELATIONSHIP with the Lord God Almighty.
* You may or may not be familiar with WHAT the “PERKS” are, YET, that has zero effect on me.
* The effects between you and me, is I KNOW my Standing. Your Standing, I have ‘no clue’.