I'm Confused

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe I was baptized as a baby but I don't know if I was as an adult
Whether it's correct to be baptized as a baby or a child/adult is something that different denominations will have different views on.
You'll have to do your own study for those answers.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not being repetitive at all :)

If you think you were baptized, that's great.
If you are pretty sure you were baptized and happen to be mistaken, I don't think the Lord will hold it against ;)

If someone is questioning it, I would suggest the individual prayerfully consider being re-baptized. If you can't remember it, how can you remember confessing Christ before you were immersed? Of course, one might not remember every little detail of being baptized but if the conscience is troubled it might help to do it again. We are not to violate our conscience....Just a thought.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The picture we see in scripture of baptism are people confessing their sins before being baptized. Babies cannot confess, much less speak. Baptism is done in faith.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But what if they slip up and sin again?
Repentance must be in all sincerity. And nobody "slips up" according to the Bible.

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. (James 1:14,15)

Reactions: LC627
R

Rita

Lavender, when I first came to faith it took me a while to realise that I was now in a battle, but one with the Lord on my side. Coming to faith does not mean that your life becomes perfect on a human level, it doesn’t that you never have a bad thought, wrong motive, or never do anything wrong again. It does mean that you are on a journey of change and redemption. Anyone that claims to ‘ be perfect ‘ after coming to faith is just not being real or honest. The desire to not do wrong grows, and the fact that so many things are concerning you is actually a positive ( it shows you care about what you think and how you live )
You need to develop a relationship with the Lord Jesus, talk to him- I journal quite a bit because the written word has often been my clearest voice - sometimes it helps with learning to communicate. I had an eating disorder and the mental mind games were awful - and I wasn’t in tune with a lot of my emotional responses because I just use to push everything down with food.
Sorry, but it seems from your posts that you are anxious about so many things - talk to the Lord , he knows you personally and knows about every aspect of your life, and also how he wants to help you x

Rita

Reactions: Lavender Purple

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mean to sound repetitive and you may call me crazy. What if I was baptized as an teen or an adult but cannot remember?

Ask someone who is likely to know - a family member or someone you knew well at the time. Or think back to which church you were attending at the time, because they will keep records.

It's normal practice to give people some kind of certificate when they are baptised, but they're easy to lose (my husband has lost his at some point over the last 45 years!).

If you draw a complete blank, you should discuss it with the minister/pastor of your present church (I presume you have one - if you're not a member of a church you should be)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm having a hard time understanding about baptism. I'm getting the idea that if an adult gets baptized, they must turn away from sin. But what if they slip up and sin again? Does it mean they are not saved or no longer a child of God?

Read 1 John 1

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I feel that this is happening to me both ways
but you are confessing potential sin out loud, so imo as long as you are sensitive to the replies you need have no fear, which is what you have now right. Asking a question is not sinning imo, regardless of who might be offended?
I'm having a hard time understanding about baptism. I'm getting the idea that if an adult gets baptized, they must turn away from sin. But what if they slip up and sin again? Does it mean they are not saved or no longer a child of God?
you mean "ritual baptism," right? And wadr what do you mean by "saved?"
Going up to heaven after you have died, to become an Immortal?

Aug 29, 2020
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but you are confessing potential sin out loud, so imo as long as you are sensitive to the replies you need have no fear, which is what you have now right. Asking a question is not sinning imo, regardless of who might be offended?

you mean "ritual baptism," right? And wadr what do you mean by "saved?"
Going up to heaven after you have died, to become an Immortal?

This is going to sound crazy or confusing but I mean water baptism

Saved meaning I will go to heaven when I die

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
This is going to sound crazy or confusing but I mean water baptism

Saved meaning I will go to heaven when I die
ha no, i get you, most ppl mean that
and the Bible very plainly says No one has ever gone up to heaven
so there's a lot of confusion there i guess
regardless, water baptism is surely not like any kind of dealbreaker or anything anyway ok; "baptism" has a more practical meaning, that we even recognize in our lexicon, and you might note three actual baptisms in Scripture, water (likely "birth" anyway), spirit, and fire

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Col 1:4, Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
Col 1:5, For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
Col 1:6, Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:

1Pe 1:3, Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
1Pe 1:4, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
1Pe 1:5, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But in the bible it said Lazarus went to heaven
He was in Abraham's bosom; which was a compartment for the righteous in Hades.

We will all go to heaven (those of us who believe in Christ) in the end (Colossians 1:5, 1 Peter 1:4).

Last edited: