Imputation is based on the Old Testament

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I invite people to express their understanding from other authors of the bible besides Paul...if they dare try to. ;) Out of the mouth of 2 witnesses...
And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints
In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother
Then Peter opened his mouth and said: ‘In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him
Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled
You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions

Reactions: Episkopos

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus,
Here are a few more translations. Might help.

NIV : Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you.
NLT: Don’t let anyone condemn you by insisting on pious self-denial or the worship of angels, saying they have had visions about these things.
BSB: Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you with speculation about what he has seen
NASB: Take care that no one keeps defrauding you of your prize by delighting in humility and the worship of the angels,
So by these quotes to be humble is voluntary? Not disputing Christ had a will but said “Father, not my will but Your Will be done.” Voluntary?

• Love
Reactions: Keturah

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So by these quotes to be humble is voluntary? Not disputing Christ had a will but said “Father, not my will but Your Will be done.” Voluntary?
Oddly makes me think of the evil spirit in the OT that volunteers saying, send me I will go be the lie in the false prophets mouth. ? Do I have that wrong? I could not find the verse…

Reactions: Keturah and marks

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well…I can really only speak from my own experience. I was never humble, though I thought I was.
I had to take a serious, serious tumble in order to see I was not humble at all.

And yet, I’ve met some men who were very meek who didn’t seem to know God. I refuse to speak about them or make judgement on them. They were naturally more humble than me. They were better people than me. And even after I received a down payment of the Spirit, they were still more humble than me.

So…I was a very hard case. I can say this about humility though. It appears to me that humility is realizing you have none.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oddly makes me think of the evil spirit in the OT that volunteers saying, send me I will go be the lie in the false prophets mouth. ? Do I have that wrong? I could not find the verse…

1 Kings 22:20-23 KJV
20) And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.
21) And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him.
22) And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
23) Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Keturah

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s the whole struggle and then walking with a limp thing.
I guess I have seen that. I haven’t seen beyond that though. I’m at at least a greatly diminished walking in my own strength…my family hates it. Like, they literally hate it.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that may have been what VIJ was getting at, not sure.
I think of your post here “But had Luther waited on God after he came to the end of his own strength instead of arriving at the conclusion that God could not tame the flesh and put that enemy under Luther’s feet…” after he came to the end of his own strength …what is impossible with men is possible with God?

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think of your post here “But had Luther waited on God after he came to the end of his own strength instead of arriving at the conclusion that God could not tame the flesh and put that enemy under Luther’s feet…” after he came to the end of his own strength …what is impossible with men is possible with God?
But that’s not where we’ve gone, is it? At least not many. Most have gone the route of “imputed righteousness”, which, as near as I can figure, is…God can’t put the enemy of our flesh under our feet, the best He could do is…to count Jesus’ righteousness as our own. But, that’s really not what scripture says.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that’s not where we’ve gone, is it? At least not many. Most have gone the route of “imputed righteousness”, which, as near as I can figure, is…God can’t put the enemy of our flesh under our feet, the best He could do is…to count Jesus’ righteousness as our own. But, that’s really not what scripture says.
My grandchildren are wanting to have a sleep over tonight. I’ll give what you said some thought. Right off the top of my head I would say I’m not Quick to suggest that God looks at our hating, back-biting, gossiping, envying and lying and sees Christ. With our saying; I am nothing but a worthless sinner and at the same time saying God sees Christ. Other wise why “you will know them by their fruit.” Is that the imputed righteousness of Christ you speak out against? Doing as I please while feeling safe under the umbrella of the “imputed righteousness” of Christ? Maybe I don’t understand…I’ll think about it.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My grandchildren are wanting to have a sleep over tonight. I’ll give what you said some thought. Right off the top of my head I would say I’m not Quick to suggest that God looks at our hating, back-biting, gossiping, envying and lying and sees Christ. With our saying; I am nothing but a worthless sinner and at the same time saying God sees Christ. Other wise why “you will know them by their fruit.” Is that the imputed righteousness of Christ you speak out against? Doing as I please while feeling safe under the umbrella of the “imputed righteousness” of Christ? Maybe I don’t understand…I’ll think about it.
Yes. That hating, murderous resentment, backbiting, envying, lying - those are works of the flesh. Those things are not righteousness. Men can see that. So they grab at “imputed righteousness” rather than trusting God and asking God for the righteousness they hunger for.

Its as if they see all the things in themselves they agree are bad and then try to be good but can’t, so they come to the conclusion that since they can’t do it, neither can God. So they then have a form of godliness but deny the power that could make them godly.
And many bad doctrines branch off from that.

One of the worst is to not be righteous but to say you are as righteous as Christ, and then go and tell men more righteous than you that they are going to eternal torment. Here is one of the verses that deals with it.
You have discouraged the righteous with your lies, but I didn’t want them to be sad. And you have encouraged the wicked by promising them life, even though they continue in their sins.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Only Protestants buy into the imputed thing. It was an invention of Luther. Catholics believe in "imparted" righteousness...which is biblical. And orthodox believers believe in a real oneness with God...not just an assumed righteousness. So then you are in the minority actually.
So, just because the righteousness OF CHRIST, the imputation thereof to the believer is not found in Scripture, you want to make your own doctrine?

What is not specifically SAID is definitely IMPLIED, the righteousness of Christ TO the believer.
2 Corinthians 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us - The Greek here is, ‘for him who knew no sin, he hath made sin, or a sin-offering for us.’ The design of this very important verse is, to urge the strongest possible reason for being reconciled to God. This is implied in the word (γὰρ gar) “for.”
(Certainly Christ’s being made sin, is not to be explained of his being made sin in the abstract, nor of his having actually become a sinner; yet it does imply, that sin was charged on Christ, or that it was imputed to him, and that he became answerable for it. Nor can this idea be excluded, even if we admit that “sin-offering” is the proper rendering of ἁμαρτία hamartia in the passage. “That Christ,” says an old divine commenting on this place, “was made sin for us, because he was a sacrifice for sin, we confess; but therefore was he a sacrifice for sin because our sins were imputed to him, and punished in him.” The doctrine of imputation of sin to Christ is here, by plain enough inference at least. The rendering in our Bibles, however, asserts it in a more direct form. Nor, after all the criticism that has been expended on the text, does there seem any necessity for the abandonment of that rendering, on the part of the advocate of imputation. For first ἁμαρτία hamartia in the Septuagint, and the corresponding אשׁם 'aashaam in the Hebrew, denote both the sin and the sin-offering, the peculiar sacrifice and the crime itself. Second, the antithesis in the passage, so obvious and beautiful, is destroyed by the adoption of “sin-offering.” Christ was made sin, we righteousness.
There seems in our author’s comment on this place, and also at Rom. 5, an attempt to revive the oft-refuted objection against imputation, namely, that it involves something like a transference of moral character, an infusion, rather than an imputation of sin or righteousness. Nothing of this kind is at all implied in the doctrine. Its advocates with one voice disclaim it; and the reader will see the objection answered at length in the supplementary notes at Rom. 4 and Rom. 5. What then is the value of such arguments or insinuations as these: “All such views as go to make the Holy Redeemer a sinner, or guilty, or deserving of the sufferings he endured, border on blasphemy,” etc. Nor is it wiser to affirm that “if Christ was properly guilty, it would make no difference in this respect, whether it was by his own fault or by imputation.” What may be meant in this connection by “properly guilty,” we know not. But this is certain, that there is an immense difference between Christ’s having the guilt of our iniquities charged on him, and having the guilt of his own so charged.
It is admitted in the commentary, that God “treated Christ as if he had been a sinner,” and this is alleged as the probable sense of the passage. But this treatment of Christ on the part of God, must have some ground, and where shall we find it, unless in the imputation of sin to him?

They who thus become righteous, or are justified, are justified on his plan, and by a scheme which he has devised. Locke renders this: “that we, in and by him, might be made righteous, by a righteousness imputed to us by God.” The idea is, that all our righteousness in the sight of God we receive in and through a Redeemer. All is to be traced to him. This verse contains a beautiful epitome of the whole plan of salvation, and the uniqueness of the Christian scheme. On the one hand, one who was perfectly innocent, by a voluntary substitution, is treated As if he were guilty; that is, is subjected to pains and sorrows which if he were guilty would be a proper punishment for sin: and on the other, they who are guilty and who deserve to be punished, are treated, through his vicarious sufferings, as if they were perfectly innocent; that is, in a manner which would be a proper expression of God’s approbation if he had not sinned.

The whole plan, therefore, is one of substitution; and without substitution, there can be no salvation. Innocence voluntarily suffers for guilt, and the guilty are thus made pure and holy, and are saved. The greatness of the divine compassion and love is thus shown for the guilty; and on the ground of this it is right and proper for God to call on people to be reconciled to him. It is the strongest argument that can be used. When God has given his only Son to the bitter suffering of death on the cross in order that we may be reconciled, it is the highest possible argument which can be used why we should cease our opposition to him, and become his friends.
(See the supplementary notes on Rom_1:17; note at Rom_3:21. See also the additional note above on the first clause of the verse.

The “righteousness of God,” is doubtless that righteousness which the divine Saviour worked out, in his active and passive obedience, and if ever any of the guilty race of Adam are “treated as righteous” by God, it must be solely on the ground of its imputation.)
Barnes Notes.

More can be said, but I am not going into circular reasoning with you.

Reactions: mailmandan

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Only Protestants buy into the imputed thing. It was an invention of Luther. Catholics believe in "imparted" righteousness...which is biblical. And orthodox believers believe in a real oneness with God...not just an assumed righteousness. So then you are in the minority actually.
So, just because the righteousness OF CHRIST, the imputation thereof to the believer is not found in Scripture, you want to make your own doctrine?

What is not specifically SAID is definitely IMPLIED, the righteousness of Christ TO the believer.
2 Corinthians 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us - The Greek here is, ‘for him who knew no sin, he hath made sin, or a sin-offering for us.’ The design of this very important verse is, to urge the strongest possible reason for being reconciled to God. This is implied in the word (γὰρ gar) “for.”
(Certainly Christ’s being made sin, is not to be explained of his being made sin in the abstract, nor of his having actually become a sinner; yet it does imply, that sin was charged on Christ, or that it was imputed to him, and that he became answerable for it. Nor can this idea be excluded, even if we admit that “sin-offering” is the proper rendering of ἁμαρτία hamartia in the passage. “That Christ,” says an old divine commenting on this place, “was made sin for us, because he was a sacrifice for sin, we confess; but therefore was he a sacrifice for sin because our sins were imputed to him, and punished in him.” The doctrine of imputation of sin to Christ is here, by plain enough inference at least. The rendering in our Bibles, however, asserts it in a more direct form. Nor, after all the criticism that has been expended on the text, does there seem any necessity for the abandonment of that rendering, on the part of the advocate of imputation. For first ἁμαρτία hamartia in the Septuagint, and the corresponding אשׁם 'aashaam in the Hebrew, denote both the sin and the sin-offering, the peculiar sacrifice and the crime itself. Second, the antithesis in the passage, so obvious and beautiful, is destroyed by the adoption of “sin-offering.” Christ was made sin, we righteousness.
There seems in our author’s comment on this place, and also at Rom. 5, an attempt to revive the oft-refuted objection against imputation, namely, that it involves something like a transference of moral character, an infusion, rather than an imputation of sin or righteousness. Nothing of this kind is at all implied in the doctrine. Its advocates with one voice disclaim it; and the reader will see the objection answered at length in the supplementary notes at Rom. 4 and Rom. 5. What then is the value of such arguments or insinuations as these: “All such views as go to make the Holy Redeemer a sinner, or guilty, or deserving of the sufferings he endured, border on blasphemy,” etc. Nor is it wiser to affirm that “if Christ was properly guilty, it would make no difference in this respect, whether it was by his own fault or by imputation.” What may be meant in this connection by “properly guilty,” we know not. But this is certain, that there is an immense difference between Christ’s having the guilt of our iniquities charged on him, and having the guilt of his own so charged.
It is admitted in the commentary, that God “treated Christ as if he had been a sinner,” and this is alleged as the probable sense of the passage. But this treatment of Christ on the part of God, must have some ground, and where shall we find it, unless in the imputation of sin to him?

They who thus become righteous, or are justified, are justified on his plan, and by a scheme which he has devised. Locke renders this: “that we, in and by him, might be made righteous, by a righteousness imputed to us by God.” The idea is, that all our righteousness in the sight of God we receive in and through a Redeemer. All is to be traced to him. This verse contains a beautiful epitome of the whole plan of salvation, and the uniqueness of the Christian scheme. On the one hand, one who was perfectly innocent, by a voluntary substitution, is treated As if he were guilty; that is, is subjected to pains and sorrows which if he were guilty would be a proper punishment for sin: and on the other, they who are guilty and who deserve to be punished, are treated, through his vicarious sufferings, as if they were perfectly innocent; that is, in a manner which would be a proper expression of God’s approbation if he had not sinned.

The whole plan, therefore, is one of substitution; and without substitution, there can be no salvation. Innocence voluntarily suffers for guilt, and the guilty are thus made pure and holy, and are saved. The greatness of the divine compassion and love is thus shown for the guilty; and on the ground of this it is right and proper for God to call on people to be reconciled to him. It is the strongest argument that can be used. When God has given his only Son to the bitter suffering of death on the cross in order that we may be reconciled, it is the highest possible argument which can be used why we should cease our opposition to him, and become his friends.
(See the supplementary notes on Rom_1:17; note at Rom_3:21. See also the additional note above on the first clause of the verse.

The “righteousness of God,” is doubtless that righteousness which the divine Saviour worked out, in his active and passive obedience, and if ever any of the guilty race of Adam are “treated as righteous” by God, it must be solely on the ground of its imputation.)
Barnes Notes.

More can be said, but I am not going into circular reasoning with you.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
We need the righteousness of Christ imputed to us because we have no righteousness of our own. We are sinners by nature, and we cannot make ourselves righteous—we cannot place ourselves in right standing with God. We need Christ’s righteousness imputed to us—meaning, we need His holiness before God credited to our account.

In His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus makes our need for imputed righteousness plain. He says, “You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Matthew 5:48). This comes after Jesus had just corrected His listeners’ misunderstanding of the law. In Matthew 5:20, Jesus says that, if His hearers want to enter into the kingdom of heaven, their righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees, who were the experts in the knowledge of the law.

Then, in Matthew 5:21–47, Jesus radically redefines obedience to the law from mere outward conformity, which characterized the “righteousness” of the Pharisees, to an obedience of both outward and inward conformity. Six times in this passage, He says, “You have heard that it was said . . . but I tell you.” In this way, Jesus differentiated the requirements of the law as the people had been taught from its actual requirements. Obeying the law is more than simply abstaining from murder or adultery, for example. It’s also not getting angry with your brother and not lusting in your heart. At the end of this section of the sermon, Jesus says we must “be perfect” (verse 48).

At this point, the natural response is, “But I can’t be perfect,” which is absolutely true. In another place in Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus summarizes the Law of God with two commandments: love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:37–40). These commands also condemn us, because has anyone ever loved the Lord with all his heart, soul, mind, and strength and loved his neighbor as himself? Everything we do, say, and think must be done, said, and thought from love for God and love for neighbor. We have never achieved that level of spirituality. We are not righteous.

Sin affects us to the very core of our being, and no matter how good we try to be, we will never meet God’s standard of perfection on our own. The Bible says that all our righteous deeds are like a “polluted garment” (Isaiah 64:6). Our own attempts at goodness are simply not good enough. We need an imputed righteousness, and for that we look to Christ.

On the cross, Jesus took our sin upon Himself and purchased our salvation. We have “been justified by his blood” (Romans 5:9), and part of that justification is an imputation of His own righteousness. Paul puts it this way: “For our sake [God] made [Jesus] to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus is righteous by virtue of His very nature—He is the Son of God. By God’s grace, “through faith in Jesus Christ,” that righteousness is given “to all who believe” (Romans 3:22). That’s imputation: the giving of Christ’s righteousness to sinners.

Having Christ’s righteousness imputed to us does not mean we automatically do what is right—that will come through the process of sanctification. What it does mean is that we are positionally righteous; even though we still sin, we are forensically or legally righteous. God has credited the righteousness of Christ to our account, and He did this when He saved us. In grace, the holiness of Jesus Christ is ascribed to us. Christ “has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption” (1 Corinthians 1:30).

By having the righteousness of Christ imputed to us, we can be seen as sinless, as Jesus is sinless. This is amazing grace! We are not righteous in ourselves; rather, we possess Christ’s righteousness applied to our account. It is not our perfection but Christ’s that God sees when He brings us into fellowship with Himself. We are still sinners in practice, but the grace of God has declared us to have righteous standing before the law.

A wonderful illustration of Christ’s imputed righteousness is found in Jesus’ parable of the wedding banquet. Guests are invited to the king’s celebration from every street corner, and they are brought in, “the bad as well as the good” (Matthew 22:10). All the guests have something in common: they are each given a wedding garment. They are not to wear their street clothes in the banquet hall but are to be dressed in the garment of the king’s providing. They are covered in a gracious gift. In a similar way, we, as guests invited into God’s house, have been given the pure white robe of Christ’s righteousness. We receive this gift of God’s grace by faith.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Doctrine of Imputation
AN ESSAY BY
J. V. Fesko

OTHER ESSAYS
The Doctrine of Justification
Justification and the New Perspective on Paul
The Righteousness of God in Justification
DEFINITION
The doctrine of imputation teaches that while Adam’s sin is imputed to us because he is our natural federal head, God imputes or accredits the righteousness and suffering of Jesus to those who are in him and, conversely, imputes the sins of those redeemed to Christ.

SUMMARY
The doctrine of imputation teaches that while Adam’s sin is imputed to us because he is our natural federal head, God imputes or accredits the righteousness and suffering of Jesus to those who are in him and, conversely, imputes the sins of the redeemed to Christ. Imputation is based on Old Testament sacrificial structures seen in places such as the Day of Atonement, where the sins of the people are transferred to a scapegoat. The prophets Jeremiah and Isaiah provide even clearer foundations for the doctrine, upon which the NT authors build. The apostle Paul provides the bulk of the NT teaching on imputation, clarifying three ways in which imputation functions: (1) Adam’s sin imputed to all of humanity; (2) the Christian’s sin imputed to Christ; and (3) Christ’s righteousness imputed to Christians. The latter two of these imputations Martin Luther famously called the “glorious exchange,” our sin for Christ’s righteousness. Such truth is a balm to the Christian who fears standing in the presence of a holy God wearing nothing but sin-stained garments.

The doctrine of imputation teaches that in the doctrine of justification, God imputes or accredits the righteousness and suffering of Jesus to those who are in him and, conversely, imputes the sins of those redeemed to Christ. The 16th century Protestant reformer, Martin Luther, called this double imputation the “glorious exchange.” What is ours becomes Christ’s and what is Christ’s becomes ours. This doctrine has roots in the Old Testament and fully flowers in the New, especially in the letters of the apostle Paul.

Old Testament Teaching
The Old Testament provides several important passages that constitute the foundation of the doctrine. One of the most important is Leviticus 16 and the Day of Atonement. On this day of days, the high priest was supposed to offer a sacrificial bull on his own behalf, to ensure that he was ceremonially pure and free from defilement so that he could enter the Holy of Holies and offer the necessary sacrifices on behalf of the nation (Lev. 16:6). In addition to the sacrificial bull, the high priest took two goats: he sacrificed one and then performed a hand-laying ceremony on the other: “And Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the live goat, and confess over it all the iniquities of the people of Israel, and all their transgressions, all their sins. And he shall put them on the head of the goat and send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a man who is in readiness. The goat shall bear all their iniquities on itself to a remote area, and he shall let the goat go free in the wilderness” (Lev. 16:21–22). In this hand-laying ceremony three things stand out: (1) Aaron lays his hands on the head of the goat, which signified the transfer of something (cf. Num. 27:18; Deut. 34:9; 1 Tim. 4:14); (2) in this case, the high priest transferred the sins of the nation to the scapegoat, evident by the fact that he confessed Israel’s sins as he laid his hands on the goat; and (3) the goat bore the sins of the people and carried them outside the camp.

The protocols of the Day of Atonement hint at the sacrifice of the coming Messiah and the manner by which he would redeem his people. The more the Old Testament progresses, the more the shadows give way to the dawning light of the Messiah. The prophecy of the Suffering Servant is one place where the darkness gives way to greater light. Language evocative of the Day of the Atonement marks Isaiah’s prophecy: the Messiah “has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows” (Isa. 53:4). “He was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed” (Isa. 53:5). These two statements echo the language of Leviticus 16:21–22, particularly, the fact that the scapegoat bore Israel’s sins, and in similar fashion the Suffering Servant carried the griefs, sorrows, sins, and punishment that would bring Israel peace. These general statements find greater clarity in Isaiah 53:11–12, which states: “Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors.” Isaiah highlights the fact that the Suffering Servant would “make many to be accounted righteous,” and conversely, he would “bear their iniquities” and be “numbered with the transgressors.” The Suffering Servant was not himself sinful but would nevertheless be counted among sinners. Yet, stunningly, the sinners would be “accounted righteous;” that is, the law would have no claim on them because the Suffering Servant would give to them his perfect law-keeping status (cf. Deut. 6:25; Lev. 18:5). The Suffering Servant is not inherently sinful and the sinners are not inherently righteous, yet by God’s grace the Servant bears the sin of sinners and accounts them righteous. Isaiah clearly propounds the doctrine of imputation—the glorious exchange.

One of the more powerfully vivid pictures of imputation appears in the Zechariah when the prophet has a vision of Joshua the high priest standing in the presence of God wearing excrement-stained priestly garments (Zech. 3:1; cf. Deut. 23:13–14; Isa. 28:8, 36:12; Ezek. 4:12). Joshua’s filthy garments were the polar opposite of what he was supposed to wear (Lev. 16:4). God had every reason to condemn him and, yet, in a striking reversal, he showered Joshua in his mercy and grace. He directed the angels to remove his soiled garments and to give him “pure vestments” (Zech. 3:4). Within the vision Zechariah explains that the soiled garments represented Joshua’s sin and their removal signaled God’s forgiveness: “Behold, I have taken your iniquity away from you” (Zech. 3:4). If the removal of the soiled garments results in the forgiveness of sins, then the investiture in pure garments signifies the imputation of righteousness. What Zechariah implicitly sees in his vision Isaiah makes explicit: “I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels” (Isa. 61:10). Zechariah’s new righteous status was not native to him but alien—it came from God, not by his own efforts.

Read the whole article.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
rather than trusting God and asking God for the righteousness they hunger for.
This hit close to home. How misery loves company. I’ve become aware of when I check in with someone to see how they are doing, secretly I want them to be struggling as much as I am. I will say I’m wanting to hear they are well. But I don’t think that is the whole truth. It is not that I wish ill will on them but that somehow I find comfort in checking in on their struggles; that makes my own somehow better. Kind of nosey isn’t it. Instead of helpful. That is horrible I know. I noticed this inside me and have asked God “why do I do this instead of genuinely hoping better for them.” …seeking that instead. Others I should love and say I do love. That doesn’t feel like love to me, and it is coming from my own thoughts. I can relate to what you shared there because I can’t pretend to be good
And overcome those thoughts of “comfort in misery”. I have prayed for God to change those thoughts I have and to help me wish better for others and to genuinely hope for better for them instead of pacifying my own miseries. Does that make sense? Point is, it hit home because I get what you mean about it is not within my own strength but I do believe it is within Gods strength. I don’t think God has the Mind that: misery loves company. But instead He shares His Holiness that we may profit.

Last edited: