Inappropriate ads

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dreyat

Jan 12, 2023
Quezon
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Hello there, I have noticed some ads on the site that may be inappropriate. To the site owners and maintainers, please look into this. A book with kissing characters can be seen in an ad, for example. Please make sure current and future advertisements will not have a chance to tempt readers. Even if to some people this may not seem like an issue, there are people who are filled with sinful thoughts because of such advertisements.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
These things have been said before.

I’ve never ever had an inappropriate add.
I always get adds that they think is my style of interest. I get adds from animal shelters or furniture and clothing.

I’ve always believed that we get sent add of things that they know we have been interested in …
I’ve had no issue with any adds here.
just saying…

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I always get adds that they think is my style of interest. I get adds from animal shelters or furniture and clothing.

I’ve always believed that we get sent add of things that they know we have been interested in …
just saying…

I pointed this out to @Wrangler also. The ads that appear are algorithm-driven based on your online history.

If you don't like the ads you are seeing, change your Internet habits. (or install an Ad-Blocker)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I pointed this out to @Wrangler also. The ads that appear are algorithm-driven based on your online history.

If you don't like the ads you are seeing, change your Internet habits. (or install an Ad-Blocker)
Totally agree …you said it better and shorter than I did. Ha!
….but, that is the case .

Reactions: Nancy and Keturah

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

just saying…
Till this day, not a single ad! Ad block plus is awesome and have been using it forever. :)

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
of course Nancy ......after giving them permission to access your info :)
And...what "info" would that be? I've blocked all three credit report agencies so nobody could ever open a new account under my name as, nobody can pull a hard copy from my credit report :Broadly:
Besides, I've nothing they want anyhow.
Been okay for decades so, I don't think anyone is interested in all my stocks, bonds and holdings...Ahahahaha!!!! No, I have none of those. :)

Dreyat

Jan 12, 2023
Quezon
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
The internet customizes the ads and shows recommended towards the people around you. With the amount of trackers that can get your data, as well as those trackers coming from many digital places, it is very difficult to ensure that you are truly private. In this case, even a seemingly safe show, game, or youtube video that doesn't cause you to sin could make other people to sin. Since we need to make sure that we do not cause other people to stumble, it is very important that we thoroughly think this through. Information can be obtained by a lot of people and sent to advertisers. A thing to note is that even the things that we use day-to-day must be inspected, as ad-blocker can be used by other people to digitally fingerprint you. There are numerous other means for them to obtain our data too, too many to list.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there, I have noticed some ads on the site that may be inappropriate. To the site owners and maintainers, please look into this. A book with kissing characters can be seen in an ad, for example. Please make sure current and future advertisements will not have a chance to tempt readers. Even if to some people this may not seem like an issue, there are people who are filled with sinful thoughts because of such advertisements.
I wonder if they have any control over the ads we see.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder if they have any control over the ads we see.

Not really. The ads are placed based on your interests/history. Members don't even see the same ads as other members.

If there is a particularly objectionable ad, the owner can ask that it be filtered out. Forum owners enable features such as Google AdSense to their sites because it's a source of revenue for them. The ads you see are chosen by machine-learning. (Artificial Intelligence)

The owner can apply code to restrict certain ads, he can disable auto-generated ads, or he could make other code-based customizations to further limit or filter ads if desired. All these things strip away potential revenue generation which is maximized by just letting the algorithm do it's thing.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And...what "info" would that be? I've blocked all three credit report agencies so nobody could ever open a new account under my name as, nobody can pull a hard copy from my credit report :Broadly:
Besides, I've nothing they want anyhow.
Been okay for decades so, I don't think anyone is interested in all my stocks, bonds and holdings...Ahahahaha!!!! No, I have none of those. :)
The add blocking places I checked some months ago wanted access to a variety of personal information. I don't recall the details right now.
Anyway, I felt it was sufficiently intrusive to be dissuaded from their service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The add blocking places some I checked some months ago wanted access to a variety of personal information. I don't recall the details right now.
Anyway, I felt it was sufficiently intrusive to be dissuaded from their service.
Not that I can understand, but ad block plus has not asked me one single question and I only went with it because of the advice of a good friend who works on computer systems at schools, church's, and any other place that needs the service he offers. So far so good!