Inerancy - Define, or dismiss?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
inerrancy /ĭn-ĕr′ən-sē/

noun​

1. Freedom from error or untruths; infallibility.
    "belief in the inerrancy of the Scriptures."
  2. The quality of being inerrant; freedom from error.
  3. Exemption from error.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition • More at Wordnik

Biblical inerrancy

Biblical inerrancy is the belief that the Bible "is without error or fault in all its teaching"; or, at least, that
"Scripture in the original manuscripts does not affirm anything that is contrary to fact". Some equate inerrancy
with biblical infallibility; others do not. The belief in Biblical inerrancy is of particular significance within parts
of evangelicalism, where it is formulated in the "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy". Wikipedia

The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy
The Inerrancy Statement elaborates on various details in articles formed as couplets of "We affirm..." and "We deny...".
Under the statement, inerrancy applies only to the original manuscripts which no longer exist, but which, its adherents claim,
"can be ascertained from available manuscripts with great accuracy" (Article 10). In the statement, inerrancy does not refer to
a blind literal interpretation, and that "history must be treated as history, poetry as poetry, hyperbole and metaphor as
hyperbole and metaphor, generalization and approximation as what they are, and so forth." It also makes it clear that the
signers deny "that Biblical infallibility and inerrancy are limited to spiritual, religious, or redemptive themes, exclusive of assertions
in the fields of history and science. We further deny that scientific hypotheses about earth history may properly
be used to overturn the teaching of Scripture on creation and the flood."

Signatories to the statement came from a variety of evangelical Christian denominations, and included Robert Preus,
James Montgomery Boice, Kenneth Kantzer, J. I. Packer, Francis Schaeffer, R. C. Sproul and John F. MacArthur.

Questions;
- Is inerrancy really more about the interpretation of a text than the text itself?
- Is the claim of inerrancy centered on a particular doctrinal view of the Bible?
- Is inerrancy of more importance in evangelicalism than across the spectrum of Christianity?
- Is a belief in biblical inerrancy the litmus test for the believer in Jesus Christ?
- Does making inerrancy the center of Christian faith lead to an imbalance?
- What makes the Bible a true book?
- Should our trust in the book overshadow our trust in the author?

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Evangelical strife over inerrancy​

Let me share a story that illustrates the ferocity of American evangelical infighting over inerrancy and how it even led some evangelical conservatives to go cannibal on each other. I have a friend named Dr. Michael Licona, and he is a brilliant Christian apologist who has defended Christianity against critiques from atheists and Muslims. He is a great speaker and writer. He wrote a really good book on the historicity of the resurrection.¹ In that book, he had to deal with one especially tricky passage in Matthew’s Gospel:

At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. (Matthew 27:51–53)

Now, this text is odd because you have people, ancient Israelite saints, apparently being raised back to life, not just before the general resurrection of the dead at the end of history (see Daniel 12:1–2; John 5:29; 11:24; Acts 23:6, 8; 24:15, 21), but even before Jesus’s own resurrection, which is very strange because Jesus’s resurrection is supposed to be the “firstfruits” of the future resurrection (see 1 Corinthians 15:20–23). Plus, Matthew tells us that these holy people were raised to life when Jesus died but did not come out of their respective tombs until after Jesus’s resurrection, which is a kind of awkward intermission. What is more, if this literally happened, you’d think that maybe a Jewish historian like Josephus or a Roman historian like Tacitus might have mentioned this amazing event of ancient Israelite men and women coming back to life in Jerusalem, even if only temporarily. D. A. Carson appropriately labels this episode as “extraordinarily difficult.”² So what is going on here?

Well, Licona comments that this really is a “strange little text” and he notes how many strange phenomena like earthquakes and cosmic portents were said to accompany the death of great leaders in ancient sources. Licona surmises:

It seems to me that an understanding of the language in Matthew 27:52–53 as “special effects” with eschatological Jewish texts and thought in mind is most plausible. There is further support for this interpretation. If the tombs were opened and the saints being raised upon Jesus’ death was not strange enough, Matthew adds that they did not come out of their tombs until after Jesus’ resurrection. What were they doing between Friday afternoon and early Sunday morning? Were they standing in the now open doorways of their tombs and waiting?

Licona then regards “this difficult text in Mathew as a poetic device added to communicate that the Son of God had died and that the impending judgment awaited Israel.”³ I agree with his interpretation; in fact, in an earlier publication I wrote: “My understanding of this text is that it is not historical and it blends the present and the future together, so that Matthew provides a cameo of the future resurrection at the point of Jesus’ death to underscore its living-giving power.”⁴

Even if you disagree with such a line of interpretation, I hope you appreciate that Licona and I are both trying to come up with a defensible and sensible exegesis of this difficult Matthean text.

However, not everyone was politely disagreeable, and Licona found himself accused of denying the doctrine of biblical inerrancy. The “logic” of his critics was that if you don’t believe in a literal resurrection in Matthew 27:52, then obviously you are at risk of denying that Jesus was literally raised to life in Matthew 28. As a result, Licona was denounced on various websites, had various speaking engagements cancelled, was disinvited from teaching at several colleges, and was treated as if he had written a book called Why I Like to Worship Satan and Torture Cute Puppies.

Source

/

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
inerrancy /ĭn-ĕr′ən-sē/

noun​

3. Exemption from error.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition •

Jeremiah 8:8 (NASB)
"How can you say, ‘We are wise,
And the Law of the Lord is with us’?
But behold, the lying pen of the scribes
Has made it into a lie.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeremiah 8:8 (NASB)
"How can you say, ‘We are wise,
And the Law of the Lord is with us’?
But behold, the lying pen of the scribes
Has made it into a lie.
That's an interesting response, thanks.
How would you respond to these questions? (from the OP)

Questions;
- Is inerrancy really more about the interpretation of a text than the text itself?
- Is the claim of inerrancy centered on a particular doctrinal view of the Bible?
- Is inerrancy of more importance in evangelicalism than across the spectrum of Christianity?
- Is a belief in biblical inerrancy the litmus test for the believer in Jesus Christ?

/

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's an interesting response, thanks.
How would you respond to these questions? (from the OP)

Questions;

/
Well let me read them all see if any scripture is given me by the Lord. I stopped reading the moment I was given that scripture and stopped reading. As I scan the questions I don't hear any different.. except just now hear the word from the Lord I was given was "discern" "discern" I will let you if your interested scan through the scriptures from that word I was given and see if any speak to you from the Lord. I will scan them see what jumps out at me.

• Love

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
inerrancy /ĭn-ĕr′ən-sē/

noun​

3. Exemption from error.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition • More at Wordnik

Biblical inerrancy

Biblical inerrancy is the belief that the Bible "is without error or fault in all its teaching"; or, at least, that
"Scripture in the original manuscripts does not affirm anything that is contrary to fact". Some equate inerrancy
with biblical infallibility; others do not. The belief in Biblical inerrancy is of particular significance within parts
of evangelicalism, where it is formulated in the "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy". Wikipedia

The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy
The Inerrancy Statement elaborates on various details in articles formed as couplets of "We affirm..." and "We deny...".
Under the statement, inerrancy applies only to the original manuscripts which no longer exist, but which, its adherents claim,
"can be ascertained from available manuscripts with great accuracy" (Article 10). In the statement, inerrancy does not refer to
a blind literal interpretation, and that "history must be treated as history, poetry as poetry, hyperbole and metaphor as
hyperbole and metaphor, generalization and approximation as what they are, and so forth." It also makes it clear that the
signers deny "that Biblical infallibility and inerrancy are limited to spiritual, religious, or redemptive themes, exclusive of assertions
in the fields of history and science. We further deny that scientific hypotheses about earth history may properly
be used to overturn the teaching of Scripture on creation and the flood."

Signatories to the statement came from a variety of evangelical Christian denominations, and included Robert Preus,
James Montgomery Boice, Kenneth Kantzer, J. I. Packer, Francis Schaeffer, R. C. Sproul and John F. MacArthur.

Questions;

/
The best definition of biblical inerrancy I have ever heard is paraphrases thusly:

The Bible, in its original autographs and faithful copies was transcribed free from any error in transcription, doctrine or meaning

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@St. SteVen
I think the Lord wants you to not only with your posts but to "ask" Him to give you a word about it. Do the searches yourself and it will be confirmed scripture to you by ones like mark and myself and others that hear a word or scripture. I feel the Lord wants to talk with you himself haha if that makes sense but He desires it of all people. So first when you are done with a post or before a post ASK Father if he has a word for you with this... don't tell anyone your word but go search for it read see if a scripture jumps out to you... don't let anyone know but the Lord and ask then of Him confirmation of the word you were given. Satan can drop things in your mind, but I feel the Lord wants you to step into this .. to you SteVen was given "pour blessing". Anyway wanted to pass on what I am hearing.

• Sad

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well let me read them all see if any scripture is given me by the Lord. I stopped reading the moment I was given that scripture and stopped reading. As I scan the questions I don't hear any different.. except just now hear the word from the Lord I was given was "discern" "discern" I will let you if your interested scan through the scriptures from that word I was given and see if any speak to you from the Lord. I will scan them see what jumps out at me.
Well I liked several Ezekiel and Malachi too along with Matthew.. hahaha sorry that is more than one scripture jumping out at me SteVen hahaha

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do the searches yourself and it will be confirmed scripture to you by ones like mark and myself and others that hear a word or scripture.
Confirmed by "... ones like mark and myself and others..." ???
The ones who usually attempt to refute what I post?
I should look to them for confirmation?
What's wrong with this picture?

/

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Confirmed by "... ones like mark and myself and others..." ???
The ones who usually attempt to refute what I post?
I should look to them for confirmation?
What's wrong with this picture?

/
Yes you will understand then God can use anyone if you ask then for confirmation... could be any person on here..

• Wow

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you will understand then God can use anyone if you ask then for confirmation... could be any person on here..
If you question who it comes from tell God and ask for a third witness is all you do SteVen. Make sure it is a scripture and out of the mouth of God for sure they use.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a recovering evangelical.
Not interested in being reinfected by evangelical apologetics.
Especially disguised as God speaking.

Do you align yourself with the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy?
Not all evangelicals even agree on what inerrancy is. What is it to you?

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you question who it comes from tell God and ask for a third witness is all you do SteVen. Make sure it is a scripture and out of the mouth of God for sure they use.
Not sure why you speak to me as if I don't already know these things?

BTW: welcome to the forum.

/

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure why you speak to me as if I don't already know these things?

BTW: welcome to the forum.

/
You seem to have lots of questions different things you post is all... haha If you hear God already I didn't see you post on that thread so how would I know. Satan used scripture with Messiah are we any different in things heard? That is why.. and thank you !!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The best definition of biblical inerrancy I have ever heard is paraphrases thusly:

The Bible, in its original autographs and faithful copies was transcribed free from any error in transcription, doctrine or meaning
Thanks, that's a good working definition.

But there are serious problems with that definition, as it has to do with the translation of the scriptures.
1) We don't have the original autographs. Only copies, of copies, of copies, of copies...
2) It is difficult to determine what are faithful copies. Three methods are used. See link below.
3) There are significant differences between Bible translations. Which one is inerrant?
4) There is no consensus on doctrine or meaning. Which one is inerrant?

Majority Text vs. Critical Text vs. Textus Receptus – Textual Criticism 101​

Majority Text vs. Critical Text vs. Textus Receptus - Textual Criticism 101 - Berean Patriot

/

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So first when you are done with a post or before a post ASK Father if he has a word for you with this... don't tell anyone your word but go search for it read see if a scripture jumps out to you... don't let anyone know but the Lord and ask then of Him confirmation of the word you were given.
First you told me this.
If you hear God already I didn't see you post on that thread so how would I know.
Now you tell me this.
I think the first advice was better.
Why do you have a problem with challenging questions?

Probably because you were told that unbelievers go to hell.
Therefore, we are to keep our questions to ourselves, lest we burn for eternity. Right?

/

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First you told me this.

Now you tell me this.
I think the first advice was better.
Why do you have a problem with challenging questions?

Probably because you were told that unbelievers go to hell.
Therefore, we are to keep our questions to ourselves, lest we burn for eternity. Right?

/
No you post some interesting things, but I thought you were universalism in that all go to heaven yes? So I don't agree with that but do like some of your posts... people can differ on some things and agree on other. So I agree am sure on some of the areas you posted and disagree on some other issues. Regarding hell you obviously don't believe this scripture Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

This does list unbelievers in the list.

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't you tell me to listen to God and go to the Bible, and then confirm it with your like-minded friends?

/
you said like minded... I am saying and maybe stated it wrong but not all people on this forum use or post scripture.. and of them that do most posted is not "out of the mouth of God". So I put restrictions on it this is how I do that I am sharing.