Inerancy - Define, or dismiss?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not worship teh book either. but I worship the author of the book.
Glad to see you learned something from me. - LOL

Actually those terms you use for OT are names used to describe scholars who criticize the texts. the ones at the time of Jesus were real however. Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Essenes, Zealots

Yes the original autographs and all faithful copies are in errant. Translations will create errors because of problems going from one language to another. Most errors are simple linguistic weaknesses instead of doctrinal errors.
This seems contradictory.
Inerrant? How does that level with "the lying pen of the scribes"?

JER 8:8 "How can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has made it into a lie.

/

Reactions: Hillsage

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glad to see you learned something from me. - LOL

This seems contradictory.
Inerrant? How does that level with "the lying pen of the scribes"?

JER 8:8 "How can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has made it into a lie.

/
Well the context of Jeremiah is not talking about everything written but a very specific incident or time in Israels' history.

But even Jesus validated the Scriptures as being the Word of God! He would know better than us.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the context of Jeremiah is not talking about everything written but a very specific incident or time in Israels' history.
Earlier you cited the "Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Essenes, Zealots"
Was that limited to "a very specific incident or time in Israels' history"?

But even Jesus validated the Scriptures as being the Word of God! He would know better than us.
In reference to what scriptures?
The NT canon didn't appear until the 4th century.
And then there is the matter of translation of the Bible which didn't happen until much later.

Majority Text vs. Critical Text vs. Textus Receptus – Textual Criticism 101​

https://www.bereanpatriot.com/majority-text-vs-critical-text-vs-textus-receptus-textual-criticism-101/#Corruption-of-the-Alexandrian-text-type

/ @Hillsage

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Earlier you cited the "Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Essenes, Zealots"
Was that limited to "a very specific incident or time in Israels' history"?

And then there is the matter of translation of the Bible which didn't happen until much later.

Majority Text vs. Critical Text vs. Textus Receptus – Textual Criticism 101​

Majority Text vs. Critical Text vs. Textus Receptus - Textual Criticism 101 - Berean Patriot

/ @Hillsage
I think the whole pied piper thing of calling 'the bible'...'the word of GOD', really got started in the hippie Jesus Revolution era. I don't remember Billy Graham EVER holding up 'the book' and declaring "The WORD OF GOD says". He always called it just what it was 'THE BIBLE SAYS!" And nothing it 'said' was spoken, it was all 'written' with black ink on white paper. And all you ever heard was 'THE WORD OF MAN' speaking. And God didn't run the printing presses either. hmmx1:

Your URL above has much to say....if one really wants to dig for convincing studies and quotes from very early church fathers.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the whole pied piper thing of calling 'the bible'...'the word of GOD', really got started in the hippie Jesus Revolution era. I don't remember Billy Graham EVER holding up 'the book' and declaring "The WORD OF GOD says". He always called it just what it was 'THE BIBLE SAYS!" And nothing it 'said' was spoken, it was all 'written' with black ink on white paper. And all you ever heard was 'THE WORD OF MAN' speaking. And God didn't run the printing presses either. hmmx1:
That's an interesting point.
This was all I found in a Bible search of the NT.

• Matthew 4:4 NIV
    Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

• Matthew 15:6 NIV
    they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.

/

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's an interesting point.
This was all I found in a Bible search of the NT.

• Matthew 4:4 NIV
    Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

• Matthew 15:6 NIV
    they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. Rev 19:13

This is Jesus, the Word of God. Is he also a book? Indeed, where does it say so in the Bible?

Was it not written under inspiration:

2ti 3:16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Does this make it the Word of God? For me it is when a man uses it as led by the Holy Spirit to do so. Improperly used, it is NOT. Consider when satan quoted the scripture against Jesus:

Mt 4:6And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. [from Psalm 91:11-12]
And Jesus then quoted the Scripture:

Mt 4:7Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. [from Deut 6:16]
What satan quoted from scripture was NOT the Word of God, but what Jesus quoted, certainly was.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. Rev 19:13

This is Jesus, the Word of God. Is he also a book? Indeed, where does it say so in the Bible?

Was it not written under inspiration:

2ti 3:16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Does this make it the Word of God? For me it is when a man uses it as led by the Holy Spirit to do so. Improperly used, it is NOT. Consider when satan quoted the scripture against Jesus:

Mt 4:6And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. [from Psalm 91:11-12]
And Jesus then quoted the Scripture:

Mt 4:7Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. [from Deut 6:16]
What satan quoted from scripture was NOT the Word of God, but what Jesus quoted, certainly was.
That's a good reference in Revelation. Jesus is the Word. And a prophetic utterance is the Word.

Seems what Satan quoted was scripture, but was twisted? (to mean something it didn't) BAD interpretation.

/

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a good reference in Revelation. Jesus is the Word. And a prophetic utterance is the Word.
But... some people won't buy it when you say that what is written may not always be the Word of God. When Jesus spoke, of course, it always was/is, but Jesus was always working according to His Father's will. I don't of any people who definitely always are. I don't say that they do not exist, but if they do and I am not, how can I always know?
Seems what Satan quoted was scripture, but was twisted? (to mean something it didn't) BAD interpretation.
Even so... and men can at times do the same thing. Look at some of the disputes/ arguments/ discussions on this forum.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To all Scriptures. We are talking the bible and not just simple writings, which Jesus did not validate.

Yes translations can be destructive like the New World Translation etc., but those that translate into another language as faithful as possible do no harm to the readers.

As time has gone on, it is more incumbent on the disciple to study harder to learn more. We are far removed from teh original languages and the culture and customs and ways they used and understood words.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL
Like the Koran and the Bhagavad Gita?
No, they were not God breathed or claim to be as SCripture is.
Which ones did Jesus validate?
The New Testament wasn't written until decades after Jesus Ascension.
And why should how long after Jesus ascended matter for writing His Words down? How do you know Jesus ascended apart from the Scriptures or the testimony of those who quote the Scriptures?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
LOL
Like the Koran and the Bhagavad Gita?
No, they were not God breathed or claim to be as SCripture is.
Really? Ask a Muslim or a Hindu.
Actually, don't do that. You might be injured.
You would be considerably shorter without your head. - LOL

St. SteVen said:
Which ones did Jesus validate?
The New Testament wasn't written until decades after Jesus Ascension.
And why should how long after Jesus ascended matter for writing His Words down? How do you know Jesus ascended apart from the Scriptures or the testimony of those who quote the Scriptures?
Seems you neither understood my question nor answered it.
How could Jesus valid that which was not yet written?
What are you claiming that he validated? (my actual question)

Why does time matter for eyewitness reporting?
Imagine if we read nothing of the 9/11 attacks until 30 years after the fact?
We would be waiting another six years to read anything about them.
Do you suppose the story may have been altered in all that time?

And with only minor differences between the synoptic Gospels,
They obviously all came from the same source (copied) with only minor revisions.

/

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems you neither understood my question nor answered it.
How could Jesus valid that which was not yet written?
He validated the OLD. And as He was God in human flesh when He walked on earth, it does not seem a stretch that He also was prophesying what would become th enew!
Really? Ask a Muslim or a Hindu.
Actually, don't do that. You might be injured.
You would be considerably shorter without your head. - LOL
Well they do not! They76 know the Quran was written by Mohammed when He was in a delirium from fever.

And the Baghvad Gita is a compendium of writings. Hindus have millions of gods. And cows are among them so if cows write.....
Luke 4:4
And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Both Jesus and Satan knew what was being spoken of- it was called the old testament or the Jewish Scriptures.

not the deuterocanonical books nor the pseudopigrapha books.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Questions; - from the OP:
- Is inerrancy really more about the interpretation of a text than the text itself?
- Is the claim of inerrancy centered on a particular doctrinal view of the Bible?
- Is inerrancy of more importance in evangelicalism than across the spectrum of Christianity?
- Is a belief in biblical inerrancy the litmus test for the believer in Jesus Christ?
- Does making inerrancy the center of Christian faith lead to an imbalance?
- What makes the Bible a true book?
- Should our trust in the book overshadow our trust in the author?

/