Interpretation Methods

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paper notes, and a bound Bible, always!

:)

Much love!
When I preach I usually use a bible and perhaps a few sticky notes in the pages (on the opposite page of the text I am reading) with a general outline (and as a bookmark for the text). When I first began preaching I was very insecure. I asked a pastor friend "what if I forget what I was going to say". He said it did not matter - just read the Bible. :)

I always found it more difficult to teach a class than to preach a sermon. But now at least I will remember to leave my tablet at home.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When I preach I usually use a bible and perhaps a few sticky notes in the pages (on the opposite page of the text I am reading) with a general outline (and as a bookmark for the text). When I first began preaching I was very insecure. I asked a pastor friend "what if I forget what I was going to say". He said it did not matter - just read the Bible. :)

I always found it more difficult to teach a class than to preach a sermon. But now at least I will remember to leave my tablet at home.
We should indeed remember that the people need to know: 'What saith the Scriptures?' rather than 'What saith John?' :)

Reactions: John Caldwell

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it was an emoji, as I do not use those phrases. at least you did not type it in
No worries. I didn't take any of the charges personally. It is very easy to jump to erroneous conclusions when you hate someone, especially in this type of communication. I think it happens more than you know.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll bet some of you guys have trouble with camels.... being swallowed, and passing through the eye of a needle. LOL
Soooo a camel can't pass thru the eye of a needle?:rolleyes:

So much for my literal reading of Scripture. :mad:

Mary

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct interpretation and Divine understanding is the need of all of us, isn't it? Is there some way of interpreting the Word of God so that human opinion is ruled out and Divine understanding given?’ I believe there is, I believe that God means what He says and has a meaning for everything He says in His Word. If this is not so, then all search is useless and we can never be sure of what He wishes to convey to us.

So, I believe that the Word of God should be taken literally: but that does not mean that figures of speech, symbols, allegory and type are to be ignored or taken literally. These are a study in themselves and need to be considered separately. However behind all figures of speech is 'literality', otherwise they could convey no certain meaning to us at all. The literal meaning of a word is the basic, customary meaning of that word, and therefore to interpret literally is nothing more or less than interpreting words in their normal customary and proper manner, and only in this way can divergences of opinion be eliminated, and the authority of Scripture honoured.

Exactly what I think too!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. We have to realize that Scripture is written in many forms.

When I teach I usually begin by asking people to read Scripture and form an opinion without commentary. Just read and pray. Then read to evaluate your conclusions. If you have cone up with a new interpretation that's a good sign it may be wrong. :)

I find that Scripture likewise contradicts every wrong opinion.

Much love!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Soooo a camel can't pass thru the eye of a needle?:rolleyes:

So much for my literal reading of Scripture. :mad:

Mary

Most importantly Jesus loved the man. Mark 10:21-27 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. [22] And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions. [23] And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! [24] And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! [25] It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. [26] And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? [27] And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Reminds me of Luke 16:16-17 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. [17] And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; ...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The first message to a group I ever gave . . .

It was to be 20 minutes, and I had 3 simple pages of notes. Afterward my mentor was comparing me favorably to our senior pastor, but I knew how badly I had botched such a simple message, as I had kept losing my place, trying to figure out what I was supposed be saying, trying to keep it moving.

I learned very well, It's not me, it's God.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

It was to be 20 minutes, and I had 3 simple pages of notes. Afterward my mentor was comparing me favorably to our senior pastor, but I knew how badly I had botched such a simple message, as I had kept losing my place, trying to figure out what I was supposed be saying, trying to keep it moving.

Much love!
A little encouragement can go a long way... :)

Reactions: charity

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
I was likewise put on the spot by the lead speaker at a healing seminar, when I stupidly asked a question that had him immediately tell me to come forward to administer God's healing to anyone who had the symptoms I asked about.
I soon had seven people surrounding me, and I basically just stuttered and stammered — and apologized to them for the guy they got stuck with — while God did His thing.

Reactions: marks

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie T said:
Here is the address to the thread "Apostolic Uniqueness", over on the Baptist Board.

[removed]

BTW, Tony, (*Iconoclast*), where did you EVER get the idea that the Holy Spirit only guided the Apostles into truth... and not us ( your post #44 in that thread.)

"Anthony D'Arienzo:> here is the basis of the O.P.

Iconoclast said:

The Holy Spirit guided the Apostles into All Truth, not us.

We are given the Spirit to be able to welcome truth,

but we do not have the same promise the Apostles had.

Several people took part,

lets see the love of JonC in action. Does it teach us anything?
here were his responses. are they on topic or off topic?
Do they edify or bear false witness as I have been claiming?

read these responses as if they were written to you.

JonC says;

ok...this is a debate forum , what do you have to discuss?

Ok. I have clearly said this already

Not at all. Here JONC starts to bear false witness.
watch the progression. This is what he does all the time.
The natural man is not the topic of the O.P.
He has stated I do not believe this, but I already posted that I do believe this.
Now watch as each post begins to add more false accusations as if they were fact.

Who has "rejected the necessity of the Holy Spirit???? What kind of garbage is this? It gets worse and worse.

Now JonC indicates that I do not know Christ????:oops:
Several people have gotten annoyed and said, why not just drop this? Are we on a playground?
I think working through this, the magnitude of this posters deluded sinful actions and agenda, which he reverses and claims it is me.

let's see if JonC can top this whopper!o_O

Completely off topic

Nothing to do with the O.P.

The OP is about the apostles
I'm not in the least bit amazed at how you were misrepresented, your words twisted all the while one tried to pad his stats in the process.

Pretty much status quo.

Keep in mind few, if any, will take the time to see or acknowledge these facts, which shows how gullible most are, and how few make a stand for truth. Can't have ones reputation take a hit by being unpopular among their peers while standing for truth.

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"John Caldwell,

Foreknow means prescience. It is a "pre-knowledge".

Yes. God foreknows everyone (some as vessles of wrath and others predestined to life). That is why Scripture can say for those whom God foreknew in reference to the elect alone without selecting another word.

The problem with a wrong view of the biblical usage of the term that poster insists upon is it quickly is shown to be massive error.

Because God is omniscient, of course, He knows every person. This is not a question, and does not have anything to do with the biblical usage...watch how foolish this kind of mistaken understanding is.

Here is Romans 8:29-30 once again.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son,: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

So according to the false teaching of this poster who turns from the biblical usage to his dictionary, we have this;

If God foreknows ..EVERYBODY, then everybody is;

1]predestinated to be conformed to the image of his Son,

2]and whom he called

3]them he also justified

4]them he also glorified.

This is not true of EVERYBODY. That would be a heretical absurdity, saying there is universal salvation.
When anyone departs from truth and the biblical usage of words, this kind of foolish error will happen.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not in the least bit amazed at how you were misrepresented, your words twisted all the while one tried to pad his stats in the process.

Pretty much status quo.

Keep in mind few, if any, will take the time to see or acknowledge these facts, which shows how gullible most are, and how few make a stand for truth. Can't have ones reputation take a hit by being unpopular among their peers while standing for truth.
Once again you see this clearly. Everyone seems to turn a blind eye, because they dislike the doctrines of grace.
It takes prayer and study to work through the verses and many just think they can just make it up as they go.
This is God-dishonoring as God has had the scriptures recorded for us, and it is God who defines the biblical usage.

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again you see this clearly. Everyone seems to turn a blind eye, because they dislike the doctrines of grace.
It takes prayer and study to work through the verses and many just think they can just make it up as they go.
This is God-dishonoring as God has had the scriptures recorded for us, and it is God who defines the biblical usage.
Unfortunately it appears many do not endure sound doctrine, 2 Timothy 4, which stems from not much time in the Word and prayer. Yet massive amounts of time seems to be spent on garnering attaboys in forums for their aberrant, heterodox and even heretical views. Ego is more important than truth which reminds me of the leading verses of 2 Timothy 3. We are there.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"John Caldwell,

The problem with a wrong view of the biblical usage of the term that poster insists upon is it quickly is shown to be massive error.

Because God is omniscient, of course, He knows every person. This is not a question, and does not have anything to do with the biblical usage...watch how foolish this kind of mistaken understanding is.

Here is Romans 8:29-30 once again.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son,: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

So according to the false teaching of this poster who turns from the biblical usage to his dictionary, we have this;

If God foreknows ..EVERYBODY, then everybody is;

1]predestinated to be conformed to the image of his Son,

2]and whom he called

3]them he also justified

4]them he also glorified.

This is not true of EVERYBODY. That would be a heretical absurdity, saying there is universal salvation.
When anyone departs from truth and the biblical usage of words, this kind of foolish error will happen.
You've nailed it, that is the exact truth.

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo