Iron Sharpens Iron

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dga

Dec 22, 2020
Ashford
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible says that we must admonish each other, and that we must teach each other, and if someone has a revelation, or a psalm, all things must be done in order for us to grow in our spiritual walk with God.

And of course, we are not only to teach each other the truths of the Word of God, but we are also to correct one another in love, when we need to be corrected, or when we need to correct somebody else. But that must be done in love, because if we do not have love, we are nothing, as the Bible says. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds us up.

When we read Galatians 2:11-14, that Apostle Paul rebuked Apostle Peter, for acting in hypocrisy, when Peter was eating with the Gentiles, at one time, but when other Jews came, he did not eat with Gentiles anymore. So in that case, Paul was rebuking Peter for his mistake. In other words, iron sharpens iron.

It is good for us to be 'sharpened' by one another, otherwise, we could become too 'dull' spiritually. But it is important to do that in love. It is easier for us to accept any correction, when we see the love for us, from the person correcting us. That is how love builds us up. It makes us more willing to accept any correction from other believers, even if we do not agree with them. At the end of the day, who does not want to be loved? Although the correction may be very difficult pill to swallow, the fact that it comes to us on the wings of love, makes it easier for us to accept it.

I wonder how Peter felt about the rebuke from Apostle Paul? We do not know, because we do not know how Paul said it to Peter. We know that it is important not only what we say, but how we say it too. Sometimes, we can say the truth to someone, but not in a very nice way. Or vice versa. We can still say the truth, but in a nicer, and more acceptable way. So, although we read that Paul rebuked Peter, we do not actually know how Paul said it to Peter. Love makes a hard truth, easier to accept. And we can 'kill' a person with a joke. Although it is a joke, if we do not say it in a nice way, it can actually hurt a person, instead of making them laugh.

So we have to be careful, how we 'sharpen' one another, just as a iron sharpens iron.

MORE: WHY FAST?

Reactions: WillTell and marks

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Bible says that we must admonish each other, and that we must teach each other, and if someone has a revelation, or a psalm, all things must be done in order for us to grow in our spiritual walk with God.

And of course, we are not only to teach each other the truths of the Word of God, but we are also to correct one another in love, when we need to be corrected, or when we need to correct somebody else. But that must be done in love, because if we do not have love, we are nothing, as the Bible says. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds us up.

When we read Galatians 2:11-14, that Apostle Paul rebuked Apostle Peter, for acting in hypocrisy, when Peter was eating with the Gentiles, at one time, but when other Jews came, he did not eat with Gentiles anymore. So in that case, Paul was rebuking Peter for his mistake. In other words, iron sharpens iron.

It is good for us to be 'sharpened' by one another, otherwise, we could become too 'dull' spiritually. But it is important to do that in love. It is easier for us to accept any correction, when we see the love for us, from the person correcting us. That is how love builds us up. It makes us more willing to accept any correction from other believers, even if we do not agree with them. At the end of the day, who does not want to be loved? Although the correction may be very difficult pill to swallow, the fact that it comes to us on the wings of love, makes it easier for us to accept it.

I wonder how Peter felt about the rebuke from Apostle Paul? We do not know, because we do not know how Paul said it to Peter. We know that it is important not only what we say, but how we say it too. Sometimes, we can say the truth to someone, but not in a very nice way. Or vice versa. We can still say the truth, but in a nicer, and more acceptable way. So, although we read that Paul rebuked Peter, we do not actually know how Paul said it to Peter. Love makes a hard truth, easier to accept. And we can 'kill' a person with a joke. Although it is a joke, if we do not say it in a nice way, it can actually hurt a person, instead of making them laugh.

So we have to be careful, how we 'sharpen' one another, just as a iron sharpens iron.

MORE: WHY FAST?
Hi @dga Reminds me of Ecclesiates 4.9-11:

"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.

For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen!

Proverbs 27:17 KJV
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

We sharpen the countenance, that brings in much more to this. The countenance is the face, and what it shows of the person. My countenance may fall, it may brighten, it may be fierce, it may be troubled, it can be healthy, angry, or filled with light. The Bible speaks in all these ways.

I think when Solomon spoke of sharpening the countenance of our friend, he's meaning to improve them in a general way. Not just to refine knowledge, or to give a correction, but to build in the faith, and to increase in that love.

Much love!

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In order for two metals of the same hardness to sharpen one another, some
abrasive has to be introduced between their rubbing surfaces.

Ideally one of the metals should be harder, eg. a file. In that case only one
of the metals will be sharpened while the other works as a tool.

In the sphere of Christianity, the tool is a Spirit-empowered teacher while the
softer metal is a student. (Eph 4:11-15)
_

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Amen!

We sharpen the countenance, that brings in much more to this. The countenance is the face, and what it shows of the person. My countenance may fall, it may brighten, it may be fierce, it may be troubled, it can be healthy, angry, or filled with light. The Bible speaks in all these ways.

I think when Solomon spoke of sharpening the countenance of our friend, he's meaning to improve them in a general way. Not just to refine knowledge, or to give a correction, but to build in the faith, and to increase in that love.

Much love!
@marks Good to compare Scripture with Scripture profitably, right? :)

Reactions: marks

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens [and influences] another [through discussion]. Proverbs 27:17 Amplified Bible

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Truman the Levite The Amplified Bible is really a commentary, but it can be a useful commentary with insights.
I find that I can get a broader, more balanced insight into some passages by including the Amp in my reading.
After all, I want to get as much of the whole counsel of scripture as I can. At least as far as the New Testament goes.
I wish I knew how to read Hebrew.

Reactions: farouk and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find that I can get a broader, more balanced insight into some passages by including the Amp in my reading.
After all, I want to get as much of the whole counsel of scripture as I can. At least as far as the New Testament goes.
I wish I knew how to read Hebrew.
That's why I like the NLT.

Much love!

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No sharpening of two metals rubbing together can take place without them
causing wear to each other. However, in Prov 27:17 only one of the metals
experiences wear while the other is the cause of it.

In my judicious opinion, that proverb is not speaking of building your friend
up but instead speaks of tearing him down by means of chafing, i.e. relentless
fault-finding, mockery, and/or carping criticism; none of which are acceptable
social skills for making friends and influencing people.
_

Last edited:

jessiblue

Aug 21, 2021
a Heavenly place
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I like this thread a lot, dga. Thanks! :)

We need iron to make iron sharp. It’s like . . . as I smile to my friend, she smiles back at me; as I pick up her spirits, she picks mine up. And so what we’re doing is building and supporting each other up. So then, studying the Bible together with a friend in this manner then brings blessings from the good Lord above. jb

Proverbs 27:17
"Iron sharpeneth iron; So a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job 16:9 . . He teareth me in his wrath, who hateth me: he gnasheth upon
me with his teeth; mine enemy sharpeneth his eyes upon me.

That verse reveals that sharpening is not always a good thing. In point of
fact some of Webster's definitions related to "sharp" in include:

: severe and/or harsh: such as

a : inclined to or marked by irritability or anger a sharp temper

b : causing intense mental or physical distress a sharp pain

c : cutting in language or import

BTW: The Hebrew word for "friend" in Prov 27:17 doesn't necessarily
indicate a buddy; but includes a variety of others, i.e. companions,
associates, fellows, husbands, lovers, neighbors, etc. --just about anybody
with whom we come into personal contact whether temporary or extended,
e.g. waitresses, taxi drivers, retail clerks, fast food workers, gas station
attendants, dog walkers, flight attendants, druggists, coffee barristers, food
cart vendors, doctors, dentists, nurses, et al.

I think everyone, Christians especially, ought to avoid rubbing people the
wrong way lest we become known as a toxic influence that the world would
be a better place without.
_

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen!

Much love!

if you want feel good ear tickling numbness with rainbows and unicorns with sugar on top, then you should go to kindergarten.

but if you expect to soldier, then one needs to attend were there's a drill sergeant. who will get in your face, because for all concerned, you have to survive the battle. and if you don't understand that is the love that it takes to be faithful to the cause and those who work for the cause. your in the wrong business.