Is “Easter” in the original Scriptures?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of people have no problem with “Easter eggs”.....or with “Easter” at all.....and that in itself says a lot because we know the origin of these supposedly “Christian” celebrations and that goes against everything the Scriptures teach about fusing God’s truth with the devil’s counterfeit religions.

2 Cor 6:14-18...
“Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’” 18 “‘And I will become a father to you, and you will become sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah, the Almighty.

If we want God to accept us as his “sons and daughters”...we better not be caught celebrating paganism dressed up as “Christianity”. It does not “Christianize” the paganism, but “paganizes” the Christianity. Pagan traditions introduced long ago, render worthless worship to a God who tolerates no compromise with the devil....there is to be “no sharing”.

If we are not to “touch” what is spiritually “unclean” to God, then who can we blame if he decides we are disobedient and rebellious children who are not worthy to be called his own? It’s not about what is acceptable to us.....it’s about what is acceptable to God.
Easter is the anniversary of when it was discovered Jesus has risen from the dead. Aren't we allowed to celebrate that event?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Easter is the anniversary of when it was discovered Jesus has risen from the dead. Aren't we allowed to celebrate that event?
Is there instruction from God to do so?

Christ’s resurrection is what facilitated his return to heaven, but it was his death that paid the ransom to free mankind from sin and death. It is Christ’s death that we are told by Jesus to memorialize….not his resurrection.
1 Cor 11: 23-26….
“For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.”

Easter is nothing more than a pagan festival given a thin Christian veneer. The rabbits and eggs are all from the original tradition that was held in honor of a fertility goddess named Astarte, or Ishtar or Eostre (all pronounced “Easter”) and are all the same goddess under different names in different cultures, showing that they had the same false religious origin…..and that would be original Babylon.

When people mindlessly follow borrowed human traditions, they give no thought to how God feels about them, since he was there observing the originals….they are still as disgusting to him now as they always were.

Reactions: TheHC

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Easter is in the Scriptures as much as the pathetic jesus 'Easter' portrays. Đăng nhập Facebook Though Arthur Pink or Charles Spurgeon or John Calvyn or the Vicar of Christ on earth supposed to be, or of Lucifer, like John Hagee, say the penitent thief from the prison they hanged on a cross, marched along with the Saviour through the streets of Jerusalem and had “seen Him sink beneath the weight of the cross”, I will not believe them or any, as the witless ignorant on the issue they are, but will rather believe Scripture as the Word of God on the issue, it is.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Christ’s resurrection is what facilitated his return to heaven, but it was his death that paid the ransom to free mankind from sin and death. It is Christ’s death that we are told by Jesus to memorialize….not his resurrection.
'We are', not, 'told by Jesus to memorialize his death that paid the ransom', but to "remember" that which "in that night He was betrayed", happened IN FULFILMENT OF ALL SCRIPTURE, in particular PASSOVER Scripture. 1Corinthians 11: 23-26 tells us nothing 1Corinthians 15:3,4 does not tell us. And neither of these Scriptures tells us that 'we' are to memorialize or institute anything. God did all the memorialization throughout Scripture Himself according to all and only His Acts, "ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES".

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there instruction from God to do so?

“For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.”

Easter is nothing more than a pagan festival given a thin Christian veneer. The rabbits and eggs are all from the original tradition that was held in honor of a fertility goddess named Astarte, or Ishtar or Eostre (all pronounced “Easter”) and are all the same goddess under different names in different cultures, showing that they had the same false religious origin…..and that would be original Babylon.

When people mindlessly follow borrowed human traditions, they give no thought to how God feels about them, since he was there observing the originals….they are still as disgusting to him now as they always were.
There's nothing in the Bible instructing me to watch a basketball game. Does that mean I am forbidden from watching a basketball game?

Reactions: marks and RedFan

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easter festival had nothing to do about Jesus rise from the dead, that was just the cover they used which many today still believe. It 'replaced' the Passover and even that they will not celebrate it at the same time/day at all cost as they consider it abhorrent, but if you want to know the truth, look into the real origin of Easter...

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is more if one wants to know the truth..Now the festival of 'Easter' which the Catholic church used to shift the worship from Sabbath to Sunday is much more documented but was done basically in 'plain sight' but slowly and incrementally so they could get away with it. Here is a good breakdown..
"In addition, we are informed, “Neither the apostles, therefore, nor the Gospels, have anywhere imposed... Easter... The Savior and His apostles have enjoined us by no law to keep this feast [Easter]... And that the observance originated not by legislation [of the apostles], but as a custom the facts themselves indicate” (fourth century scholar, Socrates Scholasticus, Ecclesiastical History, Book V, chapter 22). The Apostle Paul confirms he maintained the customary observance of Passover, as was given to him by Christ Himself, when he said, “For I received of the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed [not Easter Sunday!] took bread” (1 Corinthians 11:23). Keep in mind Jesus Christ was betrayed during the night of Nisan 14 (Luke 22:15-22), which was considered the evening portion of the day of Passover (Exodus 12:6-13). Remember, God begins a new day at evening, commencing at sunset (Genesis 1:5). With this established fact and connection in mind, how then was it changed from the 14th of Nisan (Passover) to the Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox, and then assigned the pagan name Easter (Ishtarte)? Unquestionably, this is no minor change from the original observance that Jesus Christ exemplified (especially since people died refusing to obey this change). And furthermore, to supersede the authority of Jesus’ own example is obviously presumptuous at best; and at worst, it is outright heretical! How could such a blatant act of contradiction and disregard for our Lord’s example and commands be allowed to take place? This is a question all of us should seriously ask ourselves!

Assuredly, we must first understand the contention between the Western congregations led by Rome and the Eastern Asiatic congregations. This debate intensified during the second century, and is historically known as the Quartodeciman controversy.

“Quartodeciman” is simply a Latin term indicating fourteenth. What the ecclesiastical record of the second century reveals is that there was a controversy over the fourteenth— specifically, it concerned the change from the fourteenth of Nisan (Passover) to Easter, with all of its pagan connections, associations, and typologies of fertility and fecundity. This was unequivocally contested and rejected by the congregations of the Asiatic East. It came to a head when Polycarp, the bishop of Smyrna (who was personally taught by John the apostle), faced off with Anicetus, the preeminent bishop of Rome, in about 95 A.D.

Notice what history tells us from the Catholic Church itself, concerning this second century controversy: “The dioceses of all Asia, as from the older tradition [Passover], held that the fourteenth day of the moon, on which day the Jews were commanded to sacrifice the lamb, should always be observed as the feast of the life-giving Pasch Passover]... However, it was not the custom of the churches in the rest of the world [primarily the West, represented by Rome] to end it at this point [allegedly a non-biblical based fast ending on Easter Sunday], as they observed the practice, which from apostolic tradition has prevailed to the present time... Synods and assemblies of bishops [not Jesus Christ’s example or the Gospel records!] were held on this account and all with one consent through mutual correspondence drew up an ecclesiastical decree [superseding Christ’s personal example as recorded in the Gospels] that the mystery of the resurrection of the Lord should be celebrated on no other day but, the Sunday [Easter] and that we should observe the close of the paschal fast on that day only. A letter of Saint Irenaeus is among the extracts just referred to, and this shows that the diversity of practice regarding Easter had existed at least from the time of Pope Sixtus. Further, Irenaeus states that St. Polycarp [bishop of Smyrna], who like the other Asiatics, kept Easter on the fourteenth day of the moon [which is really the Passover], whatever day of the week that might be, following therein the tradition which he [Polycarp] claimed to have derived from St. John the Apostle, but could not be persuaded by Pope Anicetus to relinquish his Quartodecimen observance. The question thus debated was therefore primarily whether Easter was to be kept on a Sunday, or whether Christians should observe the holyday of the Jews... Those who kept Easter [Passover] with the Jews were called Quartodecimans” (Catholic Encyclopedia, emphasis added).

Clearly, the historical record from the Catholic Church proves that they themselves (not Jesus Christ) chose to exercise authority to change and sever the connection of Passover. Undoubtedly, there was a long-term agenda to shift and undermine any and all associations connecting Jewish Israeli underpinnings that were foundational to the early Christian Church. Remember, Paul said, the household of God (the Church) is “built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets [not Synods, Councils, and bishops], Jesus Christ himself being the chief comer stone” (Ephesians 2:20). There was absolutely no authorization to change the framework of this major point of doctrine, disconnecting from Jesus Christ’s own appearance of worship exemplified by His life, habits, and customs (1 Peter 2:21; 1 John 2:6). It is important we remember: Jesus Christ never kept an Easter in His life! Unequivocally, it is undeniable that Easter has no Biblical connection, foundation, or authority on the name of Jesus Christ that requires observance and/or recognition by any who claim Christ as their Savior.

Yet, regardless of these verifiable facts; this trend finally became law in the year A.D. 325 at the Council of Nicaea. Again notice, from the Catholic Encyclopedia: “The emperor himself [Constantine] writing to the churches after the council of Nicaea, exhorts, ‘At this meeting the question concerning the most holy day of Easter was discussed, and it was resolved by the united judgment of all present [regardless of the example/commands of Jesus Christ and the original apostolic fathers, Matthew 26:17-30] that this feast ought to be kept by all and in every place on one and the same day [Easter Sunday]...And first of all it appeared an unworthy thing that in the celebration of this most holy feast we should follow the practice of the Jews, who have impiously defiled their hand with enormous sin... for we have received from our Savior a different way [Where, then, is the Biblical proof or Christological authorization?] ...and I myself [Constantine] have undertaken that this decision should meet with the approval of your sagacity in the hope that your wisdoms will gladly admit that practice which is observed [Easter Sunday] at once in the city of Rome and in Africa, throughout Italy and Egypt... with entire unity of judgement.”

And finally, under the article “Councils” in the Catholic Encyclopedia again, we read about the purpose of the Council of Nicaea. ‘The first ecumenical, or council, of Nicaea (325 A.D.) lasted two months and twelve days. Three hundred and eighteen bishops were present. Hosius, bishop of Cordova, assisted as legate of Pope Sylvester. The Emperor, Constantine, was also present. To this council we owe the Creed of Nicaea, defining against Arius the true divinity of the Son of God [Arius challenged the divinity of Jesus Christ], and the fixing of the date for keeping Easter [which opposed the Quartodecimans who observed Passover]

It was now made “official”: Easter Sunday, the day after the first full moon, after the spring equinox, became the day to celebrate Jesus Christ’s resurrection. This was a serious and critical shift of theology. Critical, because it not only changed the day of the observance, but changed the focus, the meaning of the observance. It now became an observance and celebration of His resurrection, contrary to the Biblical admonition of remembering His death!

Notice what Paul says, “For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death [not His resurrection] till he come” (1 Corinthians 11:26). There is a purposeful point of significance our Lord placed exclusively on Passover concerning His death. It’s very fundamental, but crucial to understand; Passover was intended to distinctly address the impeccable fact that it was by Jesus Christ’s sacrificed life and shed blood that we have access to eternal life. Unfortunately, merging His death and resurrection into one holy day, as Easter describes, blurs the deep profound meaning of both these events by taking away the emphasis that each so richly deserves." HOW WAS PASSOVER REPLACED BY EASTER… And Who Did It? — The Church of God International

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Traditions have an origin…..a man-made origin. What did Jesus say about the adopted “traditions“ of the Pharisees? These claimed to worship the true God too….
Matt 15:7-9…
”You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you when he said: 8 ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’”

Man made traditions, given a “Christian” facade, do not make them acceptable to God.…they made the worship of the Jews a “vain“ pursuit. “The commands of men” can never be true doctrines.

Where is that stated in the Bible? Easter and it’s “eggs” are not of Biblical origin at all….it comes from adopted pagan celebrations, along with all its traditions.
Red is the devil’s color….the wild beast is scarlet colored, and is ridden by the harlot in Revelation 17:3-6.
She sits astride this beast confidently believing that she will never suffer harm, but inexplicably, without warning, the beast turns on her and completely destroys her……this is the end of false religion forever.

View attachment 43797

…and also the colors “purple and scarlet” feature in his counterfeit religion…..

View attachment 43794 View attachment 43795 View attachment 43798
Where would we find Jesus or his apostles dressed like this? And in the presence of idols?
This is man made religion….the priesthood of Christ was not to be served on earth…it is served in heaven.
Those chosen for the heavenly priesthood knew that there was never going to be another earthly temple and that they would serve redeemed mankind from heaven. What Jesus left us were humble shepherds….never anything like this.

Indeed….some homework is needed to counteract the falsehood being promoted by an apostate church trying to cover up her pagan traditions by giving them a “Christian“ label.
God is not fooled for a moment.
This post is the height of spiritual arrogance.
You’ve had everything meticulously explained to you – and you respond as if nothing was said.

As I already schooled you – it was a Lenten tradition of the ancient Church.
Is Lent ALSO condemned as a “tradition of men”?

As for what Jesus said about traditions of men: -

He DIDN’T condemn ALL tradition. He condemned the traditions of the PHARISEES who placed their traditions over the Word of God.

NOBODY is placing Easter eggs “above” the Word of God.
When you read the Scriptures with a self-imposed ignorance – you bring scandal to the Word of God.

As for condemning ALL human tradition – why don’t you start with your Protestant traditions of Sola Scriptura and Sola FideNEITHEER f which are supported by Scripture . . .

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easter festival had nothing to do about Jesus rise from the dead, that was just the cover they used which many today still believe. It 'replaced' the Passover and even that they will not celebrate it at the same time/day at all cost as they consider it abhorrent, but if you want to know the truth, look into the real origin of Easter...

Easter in 2024 is the celebration of Jesus being risen. I don't know what Easter was a thousand years ago.

Reactions: marks

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Easter in 2024 is the celebration of Jesus being risen.
It never was….in all its pagan history, no one ever changed something “unclean” to God into something HE views as “clean” by covering it with a thin veneer of “Christianity”.
I don't know what Easter was a thousand years ago.
That’s a shame Bob….because God does. He didn’t approve of it then, he doesn’t approve of it now.
“The church” didn’t even bother to change the name of the goddess whose festival they hijacked.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This post is the height of spiritual arrogance.
You’ve had everything meticulously explained to you – and you respond as if nothing was said.
Nothing of scriptural importance was offered…..just excuses for why a supposedly “Christian” church commandeered pagan festivals as if they could somehow honor God by claiming them to be “Christian”.
As I already schooled you – it was a Lenten tradition of the ancient Church.
Is Lent ALSO condemned as a “tradition of men”?
LOL…..are you serious? Where will I find “Lent” in the Bible anywhere associated with the death of Christ?

Lent is supposedly based on Jesus’ 40-day fast after Jesus’ baptism. Was he then establishing a ritual to be followed yearly? Where is that instruction? The fact is, that the Bible does not record any such practice among the early Christians. Lent was first observed in the fourth century after Christ, when Roman Catholicism was born. Like many other teachings of Christendom, it was borrowed from pagan sources.

If Lent is in imitation of Jesus’ fasting in the wilderness after his baptism, why is it observed during the weeks leading up to Easter—supposedly the time of his resurrection?

Jesus did not fast during the days prior to his death. The Gospel accounts indicate that he and his disciples visited homes and ate meals in Bethany just a few days before he died. And he ate the Passover meal the night before his death.
Who “schooled“ you?
As for what Jesus said about traditions of men: -

He DIDN’T condemn ALL tradition. He condemned the traditions of the PHARISEES who placed their traditions over the Word of God.
But of course the RCC doesn’t do that…right? Would you like a list of the Catholic traditions that find no place in the word of God? It’s quite lengthy.
NOBODY is placing Easter eggs “above” the Word of God.
When you read the Scriptures with a self-imposed ignorance – you bring scandal to the Word of God.
I don’t need to “bring scandal to the word of God”..….”the church” already did that without any help from me….is there a church in existence with more “scandal” than the RCC? Are you blind?
As for condemning ALL human tradition – why don’t you start with your Protestant traditions of Sola Scriptura and Sola FideNEITHEER f which are supported by Scripture . . .
Well, since Jesus and his apostles regularly quoted scripture in their teachings, and these then became our Christian scripture, you do not have a leg to stand on in this accusation. What your church teaches is not supported by scripture at all.

If nothing else, the Reformation broke the shackles that the Roman church had placed on its members. It was drunk with its own power and corrupted beyond all recognition compared with the true church of the first century…..how far they strayed is a matter of ‘bloody’ history. (Isa 1:15)

Jesus answered the devil’s temptations with one sentence….”it is written”……where was it written? In Scripture….the word of God. If it was good enough for Jesus to bring God’s word into everything he taught, then why did the Roman church bring in so many doctrines from outside of God’s word? Who authorized them to do that? They did.

What were the fundamental points that divided the Protestants from Roman Catholics? According to Luther, there were three.
First, Luther believed that salvation results from “justification by faith alone” (Latin, sola fide) and not from priestly absolution or works of penance.
Second, he taught that forgiveness is granted solely because of God’s grace (sola gratia) and not by the authority of priests or popes.
Third, Luther contended that all doctrinal matters are to be confirmed by Scripture only (sola scriptura) and not by popes or church councils……as soon as men started to bring in their own ideas, the foretold “apostasy” took over Christianity and corrupted it beyond recognition.

The apostle Paul reminded the Thessalonian Christians of what was to come in these words…
“Let no one seduce you in any manner, because it will not come unless the apostasy comes first and the man of lawlessness gets revealed, the son of destruction.” (2 Thess 2:3)

According to the Greek word used, “apostasy” means, literally, “a standing off from,” “a departing,” “a withdrawing.” So, to the ancient Greeks, their word from which our “apostasy” is derived, meant a “defection” or “revolt,” as well as “departure; disappearance.” This well describes what happened to “the church” in the 1500 years during which it held its members in fearful and ignorant slavery.

If Christ returned tomorrow, he would not recognize “the church” as his own. (Matt 7:21-23)
What men turned it into, is a hollow shell filled with rotten fruit. History is my witness.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many preconceived ideas and wrong teachings can be brought in and have been, even by well meaning men and become tradition, but not be true. We see this in the idea that the wicked will continue to live eternally in hell, or that man is immortal, etc.. So we have to look at what was brought in from outside of the scriptures, and being picked up although not its true meaning. In the case of this preconception, it actually led to the word being changed from its original meaning, to "Easter". The Greek word that the King James Version translates as “Easter” is actually the word “Pascha” (Hebrew: פסח—Pesach) which means “Passover”. It was during an annual Passover celebration that Jesus was crucified at Jerusalem. Here is the text in question:

Acts 12:4 King James Version

"4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people."

We find it was translated incorrectly because the bible scholars preconceived ideas led them to this. If we look at the text from previous versions we find it was correctly translated...

Acts 12:4 1599 Geneva Bible

"4 [a]And when he had caught him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to be kept, intending after the Passover to bring him forth to the people."

Acts 12:4 Wycliffe Bible

"4 And when he had caught Peter, he sent him into prison; and betook him to four quaternions of knights, to keep him, and would after pask bring him forth to the people [willing after pask to bring him forth to the people]."

And others..

Acts 12:4 Complete Jewish Bible

"4 so when Herod seized him, he threw him in prison, handing him over to be guarded by four squads of four soldiers each, with the intention of bringing him to public trial after Pesach."

Acts 12:4 Young's Literal Translation

"4 whom also having seized, he did put in prison, having delivered [him] to four quaternions of soldiers to guard him, intending after the passover to bring him forth to the people."

So how could this happen, why would such learned men change something from one meaning to another, simple, because of their preconceived ideas. You see, it has taken time, but Greek philosphy and Ghonosticism had been picked up and in Rome the old beliefs and festivals were still followed by the Romans and many Christian and leaders didnt see a problem with it. One of the first disputes arose as the bishop of Rome allowed the celebration of the Pasch or Passover to continue till the following Sunday so Christians could also celebrate Spring Equinox festival as they had done before. Now the danger of allowing the Christians to join in pagan solstice celebrations was overlooked as the new pagan 'converts' joined the church and swelled the numbers under the bishop of Rome. But other Christian leaders saw the danger of worship according to the old pagan festivals and tried to stop it in what came to be known as Paschal/Easter controversies. The first recorded such controversy came to be known as the Quartodeciman controversy.

Eusebius of Caesarea (Church History, V, xxiii) wrote:
"A question of no small importance arose at that time [i.e. the time of Pope Victor I, about A.D. 190]. The dioceses of all Asia, according to an ancient tradition, held that the fourteenth day of the moon [of Nisan], on which day the Jews were commanded to sacrifice the lamb, should always be observed as the feast of the life-giving pasch (epi tes tou soteriou Pascha heortes), contending that the fast ought to end on that day, whatever day of the week it might happen to be. However it was not the custom of the churches in the rest of the world to end it at this point, as they observed the practice, which from Apostolic tradition has prevailed to the present time, of terminating the fast on no other day than on that of the Resurrection of our Saviour." So the bishop of Rome began the practice of fixing the celebration of Passover for Christians on Sunday and it spread through the old areas of the Empire.Polycarp the disciple of John the Apostle who was now the bishop of Smyrna, came and confronted Anicetus, the Bishop of Rome who had allow the changes in the Passover and other changes to bring in converts. According to Irenaeus, around the 150s or 160, Polycarp visited Rome to discuss the differences that existed between the other centers of Christianity in Asia and Rome "with regard to certain things" and especially about the time of the Pasch or Passover which in Rome were now the Easter festivals. Irenaeus says that Polycarp, the bishop of Smyrna, observed the fourteenth day of the moon, whatever day of the week that might be, following therein the tradition which he derived from John the Apostle. Irenaeus said that on certain things the two bishops speedily came to an understanding, while as to the time of the Pasch and the change to Easter, each adhered to his own custom. Polycarp following the eastern practice of celebrating Passover on the 14th of Nisan, the day of the Jewish Passover, regardless of what day of the week it fell while the bishop of Rome let it be observed on Sunday.

So the Bishop of Rome ignored the warning and continued to allow the Passover to be observed on Sunday at the pagan Spring Equinox festival and we can see how the Pasch was change to the festival of Easter. But not only was it just the festival as more pagan converts came in, they were allowed to worship on the pagan Spring Equinox festival day which they were used to, while Christians continued to worship on Sabbath. A careful study of the historical records reveals that gradually, with the passing of the years, the Roman bishop tended to use his new day, Sunday, as a ploy for political supremacy over the other churches. Now the danger of allowing the Christians to join in pagan solstice celebrations was overlooked as the new pagan 'converts' joined the church and swelled the numbers under the bishop of Rome. The festival on Easter controversy continued, with the Eastern churches giving it stiff opposition until the Council of Nicaea in 325 A.D., at which time Sunday was declared the official day for Easter observance. Emperor Constantine immediately followed this, the same year, with civil enactments enforcing it among the churches, and it began to take hold as we see to this day.

So now you can see how this led to the Bible Scholars changing Gods truth, to their preconception of what it was, yet it was from another tradition, not of God.

Christ rose again the third day. -- Do you believe this?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the thing is they replaced it with something of another origin.

No, to say so is error.

Christ overcame the world. Meaning Christ followers did not take up pagan practices--they ran them down and overtook them. Messy? Maybe. But who is actually in control? God--not men, not false teachers, not pagans, but God.

Christ rose again the third day. Celebrate!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing of scriptural importance was offered…..just excuses for why a supposedly “Christian” church commandeered pagan festivals as if they could somehow honor God by claiming them to be “Christian”.
First of all – we weren’t discussing Scripture, we were discussing HISTORY and how wrong YOU were about the origin of Easter eggs.

Secondly – I DID provide Scriptural exegesis of Matt 23:9 with regard to traditions.

LOL…..are you serious? Where will I find “Lent” in the Bible anywhere associated with the death of Christ?

Lent is supposedly based on Jesus’ 40-day fast after Jesus’ baptism. Was he then establishing a ritual to be followed yearly? Where is that instruction? The fact is, that the Bible does not record any such practice among the early Christians. Lent was first observed in the fourth century after Christ, when Roman Catholicism was born. Like many other teachings of Christendom, it was borrowed from pagan sources.

If Lent is in imitation of Jesus’ fasting in the wilderness after his baptism, why is it observed during the weeks leading up to Easter—supposedly the time of his resurrection?

Jesus did not fast during the days prior to his death. The Gospel accounts indicate that he and his disciples visited homes and ate meals in Bethany just a few days before he died. And he ate the Passover meal the night before his death.
Who “schooled“ you?
Nice try . . .

Lent lasts 40 days because 40 is the Biblical number of judgment and spiritual testing (Gen. 7:4, Exod. 24:18, 34:28, Num. 13:25, 14:33, John 3:4). And whereas, it does relate to to the 40 days Jesus spent fasting in the desert (Matt. 4:1-11), Catholics imitate Christ by spending 40 days in spiritual discipline before the celebration of His triumph over sin and death.

Paul extols the virtues of this kind of mortification of the flesh (Romans 8:13; see also Col. 3:5, and Gal. 5:24). Mortification is a good discipline for our souls as well as a means of strengthening our resistance to temptation.

Paul not only recommended mortification, he practiced it himself. In 1 Cor. 9:27, he tells us, “I drive my body and train it, for fear that after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified”.
STUDY your Bible . . .

PS - Povide historical documentation for your claim that the Catholic Church was "boen in the 4th century".

But of course the RCC doesn’t do that…right? Would you like a list of the Catholic traditions that find no place in the word of God? It’s quite lengthy.
What is it that you don’t understand?? A “tradition” by definition is NOT something you will find in the Bible. This does NOT mean it is “condemned”, however.
I don’t need to “bring scandal to the word of God”..….”the church” already did that without any help from me….is there a church in existence with more “scandal” than the RCC? Are you blind?

Well, since Jesus and his apostles regularly quoted scripture in their teachings, and these then became our Christian scripture, you do not have a leg to stand on in this accusation. What your church teaches is not supported by scripture at all.

If nothing else, the Reformation broke the shackles that the Roman church had placed on its members. It was drunk with its own power and corrupted beyond all recognition compared with the true church of the first century…..how far they strayed is a matter of ‘bloody’ history. (Isa 1:15)

Jesus answered the devil’s temptations with one sentence….”it is written”……where was it written? In Scripture….the word of God. If it was good enough for Jesus to bring God’s word into everything he taught, then why did the Roman church bring in so many doctrines from outside of God’s word? Who authorized them to do that? They did.

What were the fundamental points that divided the Protestants from Roman Catholics? According to Luther, there were three.
First, Luther believed that salvation results from “justification by faith alone” (Latin, sola fide) and not from priestly absolution or works of penance.
Second, he taught that forgiveness is granted solely because of God’s grace (sola gratia) and not by the authority of priests or popes.
Third, Luther contended that all doctrinal matters are to be confirmed by Scripture only (sola scriptura) and not by popes or church councils……as soon as men started to bring in their own ideas, the foretold “apostasy” took over Christianity and corrupted it beyond recognition.

The apostle Paul reminded the Thessalonian Christians of what was to come in these words…
“Let no one seduce you in any manner, because it will not come unless the apostasy comes first and the man of lawlessness gets revealed, the son of destruction.” (2 Thess 2:3)

According to the Greek word used, “apostasy” means, literally, “a standing off from,” “a departing,” “a withdrawing.” So, to the ancient Greeks, their word from which our “apostasy” is derived, meant a “defection” or “revolt,” as well as “departure; disappearance.” This well describes what happened to “the church” in the 1500 years during which it held its members in fearful and ignorant slavery.

If Christ returned tomorrow, he would not recognize “the church” as his own. (Matt 7:21-23)
What men turned it into, is a hollow shell filled with rotten fruit. History is my witness.
A rather long-winded diatribe, considering that you completely FAILED to substantiate the false 16th century Protestant inventions of Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide.

The Bible explicitly condemns Sola Fide.
James 2:24

You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and NOT BY FAITH ALONE.

Similarly, Sola Scriptura is also squashed:
2 Thess 2:15

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a LETTER from us."

And lastly - Jesus and the Apostles also appealed to ORAL TRADITIONnot just Scripture:
Matt. 2:23 - the prophecy "He shall be a Nazarene" is ORAL TRADITION. It is not found in the Old Testament. This demonstrates that the apostles relied upon oral tradition and taught by oral tradition.

Matt 23:2 - Jesus relies on the ORAL TRADITION of acknowledging Moses' seat of authority (which passed from Moses to Joshua to the Sanhedrin). This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Acts 20:35 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the apostles for this statement ("it is better to give than to receive") of Jesus. It is not recorded in the Gospels.

1 Cor. 10:4 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the rock following Moses. It is not recorded in the Old Testament. See Exod. 17:1-17 and Num. 20:2-13.

2 Timothy 3:8 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION when speaking of Pharoah’s magicians, Jannes and Jambres. Their names are not recorded in the Old Testament.

Heb. 11:37 - the author of Hebrews relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the martyrs being sawed in two. This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Jude 9 - Jude relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the Archangel Michael's dispute with satan over Moses' body. This is not found in the Old Testament.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, to say so is error.

Christ overcame the world. Meaning Christ followers did not take up pagan practices--they ran them down and overtook them. Messy? Maybe. But who is actually in control? God--not men, not false teachers, not pagans, but God.

Christ rose again the third day. Celebrate!
Do you have any idea what is wrong with that statement?
Christ followers did not take up pagan practices--they ran them down and overtook them.” ?
The very point of being either a Jew or a Christian, was to be untainted by false worship. It was a choice NOT TO PARTICIPATE in a fusion of God’s worship blended with purely pagan worship, as if the combination was not offensive to God! What part of 2 Cor 6:14-18 do we not understand???

“Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? [the devil] Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’”18 “‘And I will become a father to you, and you will become sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah, the Almighty.”

The command is to “get out from among them”….not “jump into bed with them”….
We are to have nothing in common with those who practice false worship. That’s the test…..to keep separate…..not to follow the path of ancient Israel who tried to blend God’s worship with pagan worship….he punished them for that.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have any idea what is wrong with that statement?
Christ followers did not take up pagan practices--they ran them down and overtook them.” ?
The very point of being either a Jew or a Christian, was to be untainted by false worship. It was a choice NOT TO PARTICIPATE in a fusion of God’s worship blended with purely pagan worship, as if the combination was not offensive to God! What part of 2 Cor 6:14-18 do we not understand???

“Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? [the devil] Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’”18 “‘And I will become a father to you, and you will become sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah, the Almighty.”

The command is to “get out from among them”….not “jump into bed with them”….
We are to have nothing in common with those who practice false worship. That’s the test…..to keep separate…..not to follow the path of ancient Israel who tried to blend God’s worship with pagan worship….he punished them for that.

That is all good advice for those seeking God.

But for those who are [already] in Christ, it is a warning like saying, "Watch out for that cross!" to Jesus after He rose from the dead.

"It is finished." "Nothing is unlawful for me."...these things too should be believed, and taken to heart.

One need not fear after entering into Christ in God.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
First of all – we weren’t discussing Scripture, we were discussing HISTORY and how wrong YOU were about the origin of Easter eggs.

Secondly – I DID provide Scriptural exegesis of Matt 23:9 with regard to traditions.

Nice try . . .

Lent lasts 40 days because 40 is the Biblical number of judgment and spiritual testing (Gen. 7:4, Exod. 24:18, 34:28, Num. 13:25, 14:33, John 3:4). And whereas, it does relate to to the 40 days Jesus spent fasting in the desert (Matt. 4:1-11), Catholics imitate Christ by spending 40 days in spiritual discipline before the celebration of His triumph over sin and death.

Paul extols the virtues of this kind of mortification of the flesh (Romans 8:13; see also Col. 3:5, and Gal. 5:24). Mortification is a good discipline for our souls as well as a means of strengthening our resistance to temptation.

Paul not only recommended mortification, he practiced it himself. In 1 Cor. 9:27, he tells us, “I drive my body and train it, for fear that after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified”.

STUDY your Bible . . .

PS - Povide historical documentation for your claim that the Catholic Church was "boen in the 4th century".

What is it that you don’t understand?? A “tradition” by definition is NOT something you will find in the Bible. This does NOT mean it is “condemned”, however.

A rather long-winded diatribe, considering that you completely FAILED to substantiate the false 16th century Protestant inventions of Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide.

The Bible explicitly condemns Sola Fide.
James 2:24

You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and NOT BY FAITH ALONE.

Similarly, Sola Scriptura is also squashed:
2 Thess 2:15

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a LETTER from us."

And lastly - Jesus and the Apostles also appealed to ORAL TRADITIONnot just Scripture:
Matt. 2:23 - the prophecy "He shall be a Nazarene" is ORAL TRADITION. It is not found in the Old Testament. This demonstrates that the apostles relied upon oral tradition and taught by oral tradition.

Matt 23:2 - Jesus relies on the ORAL TRADITION of acknowledging Moses' seat of authority (which passed from Moses to Joshua to the Sanhedrin). This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Acts 20:35 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the apostles for this statement ("it is better to give than to receive") of Jesus. It is not recorded in the Gospels.

1 Cor. 10:4 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the rock following Moses. It is not recorded in the Old Testament. See Exod. 17:1-17 and Num. 20:2-13.

2 Timothy 3:8 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION when speaking of Pharoah’s magicians, Jannes and Jambres. Their names are not recorded in the Old Testament.

Heb. 11:37 - the author of Hebrews relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the martyrs being sawed in two. This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Jude 9 - Jude relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the Archangel Michael's dispute with satan over Moses' body. This is not found in the Old Testament.
And there stands the monument to the RCC as it interprets scripture to justify its unchristian roots and practices…..what is the point of trying to convince a person against their will? I’ve said all I need to say…history backs up what a pathetically corrupted phony the RCC has always proved itself to be….”by their fruits” Jesus said we would identify his true disciples….not by the way they dress, or by the rituals they perform or the traditions they promote…..but by the kind of people they produce….

Some of the most hateful people I have encountered were members of your church….blinded to anything but Roman Catholicism…..and vehemently opposed to any criticism of it…..but on the flip side of that coin, those who responded to the message of the Kingdom and fled the RCC in disgust after realizing the origins of their teachings and practices, were some of the nicest, most humble people I have encountered in my 50 years as a preacher of the kingdom of God.

Those in Christendom have no idea what the kingdom is….what it is for, or what is “good news” about it. Catholics and Protestants alike parrot off the Lord’s Prayer as if the words are some sort of liturgy that must be performed at every opportunity. Some people have no idea what prayer is thanks to your church. It does not involve vain repetition. The very words prior to the “Our Father” state very clearly…

”But when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you. 7 When praying, do not say the same things over and over again as the people of the nations do, for they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of many words. 8 So do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need even before you ask him.

9 “You must pray, then, this way……” (Matt 6:6-9)

He said “pray this way”…not “pray this prayer”.

It was to be a model for our own prayers, teaching us what to pray for, in order of importance……it was never meant to be a mindless repetition of words as if that was some kind of penance leading to forgiveness. No sinful man has the authority to forgive another sinful man…..only Christ has authority from his Father to do that.
But apparently the old saying is true for many, but fortunately not for all…..”give me a child till the age of seven and they will be a Catholic for the rest of their lives”…..these are the most impressionable years for a child….their formative years…..it takes a lot of character to break free from those shackles of fear, instilled since childhood.

The power of your church was broken and not before time!

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
Myself? I blame Constantine for this! Because of his mandating the compromises it took both Christian and pagans to keep peace within his realm. (Rather forcibly mandated I would imagine).

Ishtar over the years became easter! (really quite that simple).

Only took one adversarial scribe to do it too!
The same cooptation occurred on former pagan worship sites.

The church errected cathedrals over those land spaces to overcome the pagan tradition. An so that pagan converts, often so under threat of death, would have a familiar place to journey to for services.

There are pagan root trough al the Christian faith and practice today. Even the secular calendar of days are named after again deity.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easter in 2024 is the celebration of Jesus being risen. I don't know what Easter was a thousand years ago.
Nothing of Easter was about Christ or His being risen, it was sun worship, 'the sunrise service tradition', is bowing and praying to the rising sun as you can see today.

“Easter occurs on different dates each year because, like the Jewish Passover, it is based upon the vernal equinox, that dramatic moment when the hours of the day-light and the hours of darkness at last draw parallel and then the light finally and triumphantly wins out. Thus Easter is always fixed as the first Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox. It's a cosmic, solar, and lunar event as deeply rooted in religious traditions originating from sun-god worship as one could conceivably imagine.” ~ Tom Harpur “The Pagan Christ”.

We have much truth on this, one just has to look...

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing of Easter was about Christ or His being risen, it was sun worship, 'the sunrise service tradition', is bowing and praying to the rising sun as you can see today.

“Easter occurs on different dates each year because, like the Jewish Passover, it is based upon the vernal equinox, that dramatic moment when the hours of the day-light and the hours of darkness at last draw parallel and then the light finally and triumphantly wins out. Thus Easter is always fixed as the first Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox. It's a cosmic, solar, and lunar event as deeply rooted in religious traditions originating from sun-god worship as one could conceivably imagine.” ~ Tom Harpur “The Pagan Christ”.

We have much truth on this, one just has to look...
Today, for Christians, Easter is the celebration of Jesus Christ rising from the dead.

Reactions: ScottA