Is alcoholism a disease or a sin ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
According to the AMA (American Medical Association) it is still classified as a disease.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is both a disease and a sin, but alcoholism's symptoms are 100% manageable.

Speaking from experience, it is not easy to manage, but with God's help it is possible.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gotta back Aspen on that! I also think it's an evil spirit of some sort... Maybe a spirit of gluttony or habit. But I do believe it's managable through the Lord.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gotta back Aspen on that! I also think it's an evil spirit of some sort... Maybe a spirit of gluttony or habit. But I do believe it's managable through the Lord.

I have to agree about the evil spirit idea ......I am not sure it can be beat without God - at least, I've never heard of it happening

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I agree, I used to be an alcoholic for many years and then Jesus delivered and healed me. Now I can enjoy a drink or two without worries of abusing and or getting drunk.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I started doing crystal meth... And then became addicted to it... Would it be a disease or a sin? A disease is something that doesn't get better, a sin is something that can be forgiven.

For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk? - Matthew 9:5

If I remove myself from the sin then a healing can take place. If I remove not myself from the sin a healing cannot take place. Same with alcoholism... Stay away from it dummy and you have the possibilities of becoming better. Especially if you turn to the Lord in prayer and in fasting!

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Nothing wrong with alcohol, the Knights of the Crusades used to slam some of the finest brews blessed by God himself before they died for their faith.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Nothing wrong with alcohol, the Knights of the Crusades used to slam some of the finest brews blessed by God himself before they died for their faith.

I agree, and look at God's instruction to Israel on tithing.
24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe.25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen.26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household.27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.
Deut 14:24-27 (NLT)

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Alcoholism is usually caused by something that has wounded us deeply..Alcohol is used to hide the pain, to make us forget. It is both a disease and a sin, but so is gluttony...over eating is caused also by the hurts of the heart, but it is also a sin...

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
I agree, and look at God's instruction to Israel on tithing.
24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe.25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen.26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household.27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.
Deut 14:24-27 (NLT)

Nice verse brother, now who are the modern day Levites ?

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise" So overall it is probably ok, although it varies from person to person. Key word is decieved satan and his evil North American courthouse brethren have villafied alcohol use yet protect child molestors so figure that one out. Go back to prohibition ? Thats a paddlin u need more unemployment 5 dollars get out of here.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Nice verse brother, now who are the modern day Levites ?

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise" So overall it is probably ok, although it varies from person to person. Key word is decieved satan and his evil North American courthouse brethren have villafied alcohol use yet protect child molestors so figure that one out. Go back to prohibition ? Thats a paddlin u need more unemployment 5 dollars get out of here.

I'm sorry but I'm missing your point?

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
I'm sorry but I'm missing your point?

Child molesting demons are afraid of burly alcohol handling knights so they go over board on it. You have your sword yet jiggy fly ?

Ron+burgundy.jpg

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
I too agree it can be both a disease for some and a sin if abused.

Medically, many doctors have prescribed a little wine to help people with high cholesterol. In 1 Timothy 5, Apostle Paul told Timothy to use "a little wine" for his stomach's sake, and "thine often infirmities".

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Neither. It's not a disease, although addiction itself does seem to have symptoms of what one would call disease. Being addicted isn't a sin, but rather a strong desire. Being drunk is a sin. Addiction is just a problem.

I believe Alcoholism is caused by a "disease" and is not a disease itself. If you would classify a disease as something that causes a potentialy harmful result in the body.

It's been studied and results have been found. Those who are "prone" to addiction have a chemical imbalance. Lack of seretonin to be exact. Since the body doesn't get what's considered a "normal" reward response in the brain. Lack of seretonin, also leads to lack of dopamine, low endorphine levels, and lower adrenaline response.

What ever increases the "reward" feeling which produces or induces dopamine, also releases levels of endorphines, thus causes addiction to whatever provides those chemical responses in the brain. This makes sense if you study and think about it a little. Many addicts turn to exercise or some sort of physical activities to help cope. After a time, when those activities slow or stop, the leaning towards the original addiction start getting stronger. Those who were not addicted to a substance who engage in physical exercise or activities get the same depression, yet crave exercise instead of chemicals.

I believe addiction is the result of an addiction to Endorphine, not the substance itself. Every human being is addicted to endorphines, that's a fact. Is that a sin?

When someone allows, or get's caught up in anything that takes over their body, mind, or life, it becomes a sin.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alcohol use changes the brain.....I think alcohol use in excess and over time can lead to alcoholism. Sort of like obesity can lead to diabetes.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Alcohol use changes the brain.....I think alcohol use in excess and over time can lead to alcoholism. Sort of like obesity can lead to diabetes.

That's debatable. Supposedly there's a "point of no return" a time when someone drinks enough they are irreparably damaged in the brain. I think that goes back to Seretonin, and general lack of good health. I don't know of any studies that involve the heavy drinker also eating healthy. Lack of nutrients combined with high levels of toxins can certainly take it's toll.

The theory of the damaged brain due to alcohol was started by the Temperance Movement during Prohibition. This also goes along with the idea that "Alcohol kills brain cells, and brain cells don't grow back." Both of those have been disproven.

(edited to add) :- It's truely a marvel. I'm amazed at how much abuse the human body can withstand. Fearfully and wonderfully made indeed!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's debatable. Supposedly there's a "point of no return" a time when someone drinks enough they are irreparably damaged in the brain. I think that goes back to Seretonin, and general lack of good health. I don't know of any studies that involve the heavy drinker also eating healthy. Lack of nutrients combined with high levels of toxins can certainly take it's toll.

The theory of the damaged brain due to alcohol was started by the Temperance Movement during Prohibition. This also goes along with the idea that "Alcohol kills brain cells, and brain cells don't grow back." Both of those have been disproven.

(edited to add) :- It's truely a marvel. I'm amazed at how much abuse the human body can withstand. Fearfully and wonderfully made indeed!

Yes - I agree with your point about the propaganda and misinformation, which was spread by the Temperance Movement. Have you watched Ken Burns Prohibition documentary? It is very good.

There needs to be more research about the damage alcohol can do to the brain - we do know that alcoholic dementia is real.