Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bud02

Aug 14, 2010
I wouldn't expect you to understand or any others here that insist on placing the yoke of the law on themselves and everyone else. Its clear you don't have a clue about the distincion between grace and works. Seeing how you all want to pick and choose lets look at Acts 15. This is long after the Gentiles received salvation and what does Peter say must be done by the Gentiles? Verse 19

Acts 15
[sup]6[/sup] Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter. [sup]7[/sup] And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. [sup]8[/sup] So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, [sup]9[/sup] and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. [sup]10[/sup] Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? [sup]11[/sup] But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ[sup][a][/sup] we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”
[sup]12[/sup] Then all the multitude kept silent and listened to Barnabas and Paul declaring how many miracles and wonders God had worked through them among the Gentiles. [sup]13[/sup] And after they had become silent, James answered, saying, “Men and brethren, listen to me: [sup]14[/sup] Simon has declared how God at the first visited the Gentiles to take out of them a people for His name. [sup]15[/sup] And with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written:
[sup]16[/sup] ‘ After this I will return
And will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down;
I will rebuild its ruins,
And I will set it up;
[sup]17[/sup] So that the rest of mankind may seek the LORD,
Even all the Gentiles who are called by My name,
Says the LORD who does all these things.’[sup][b][/sup]

[sup]18[/sup] “Known to God from eternity are all His works.[sup][c][/sup] [sup]19[/sup] Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, [sup]20[/sup] but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,[sup][d][/sup]from things strangled, and from blood. [sup]21[/sup] For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

Theres the bottom line right there. And what does he say about how the Gentiles are saved?

[sup]7[/sup] And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. [sup]8[/sup] So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us,

Not a single word about water baptism. Do you all want to dispute the findings of the Apostles at the counsel of Jerusalem. I explained the misunderstanding that many have in the apparent contradictions in the NT it does not contradict, And Aspen Jesus came unto the Jews.

But what does Peter say about the salvation of the Gentiles?
[sup]11[/sup] But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”

Just what manner is that?

Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. [sup]8[/sup] So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, [sup]9[/sup] and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

So now grace has come to both the house of Israel and the Gentiles. How did this happen read my post.
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/12816-is-baptism-necessary-for-salvation/page__view__findpost__p__91800

Your "goal"? So far you've said scriptures were not about water baptism when they are in fact about water baptism. And you have also been shown to be loveless towards others here. I hear gongs playing...and a false teacher to boot.

As for you you are nothing more than an ignorant antagonist, Is your goal to irritate me in hopes of having me banned? It looks like it form your language that always precedes my reply.
Stone is heavy and sand a burden,
but a fool’s provocation is heavier than both.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I wouldn't expect you to understand or any others here that insist on placing the yoke of the law on themselves and everyone else. Its clear you don't have a clue about the distincion between grace and works. Seeing how you all want to pick and choose lets look at Acts 15. This is long after the Gentiles received salvation and what does Peter say must be done by the Gentiles? Verse 19

Acts 15
[sup]6[/sup] Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter. [sup]7[/sup] And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. [sup]8[/sup] So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, [sup]9[/sup] and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. [sup]10[/sup] Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? [sup]11[/sup] But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ[sup][a][/sup] we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”
[sup]12[/sup] Then all the multitude kept silent and listened to Barnabas and Paul declaring how many miracles and wonders God had worked through them among the Gentiles. [sup]13[/sup] And after they had become silent, James answered, saying, “Men and brethren, listen to me: [sup]14[/sup] Simon has declared how God at the first visited the Gentiles to take out of them a people for His name. [sup]15[/sup] And with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written:
And I will set it up;

My brother, I have never said that we should deny the Holy Spirit. I am baptized by both water and spirit just like Jesus. Yes, in Acts 15, St. Peter says that the Holy Spirit came upon the Gentiles. But St. Peter also said that the Gentiles should not be denied to be baptized with water as well (Acts 10:47-48).

A christian who baptizes with both water and spirit is not going against the Bible and neither are they cherry-picking verses. They are following Christ who is the Way to salvation. Show me where in the Bible does it say that the Apostles DID NOT baptize with water. Show me where in the Bible does it say that baptism is the law of the Old Testament? You will not find it because baptism was never part of the Old Testament. As I pointed out to you in an earlier post, baptism is in the New Testament. It is part of the New Covenant.

In Christ,
Selene

bud02

Aug 14, 2010
My brother, I have never said that we should deny the Holy Spirit. I am baptized by both water and spirit just like Jesus. Yes, in Acts 15, St. Peter says that the Holy Spirit came upon the Gentiles. But St. Peter also said that the Gentiles should not be denied to be baptized with water as well (Acts 10:47-48).

A christian who baptizes with both water and spirit is not going against the Bible and neither are they cherry-picking verses. They are following Christ who is the Way to salvation. Show me where in the Bible does it say that the Apostles DID NOT baptize with water. Show me where in the Bible does it say that baptism is the law of the Old Testament? You will not find it because baptism was never part of the Old Testament. As I pointed out to you in an earlier post, baptism is in the New Testament. It is part of the New Covenant.

In Christ,
Selene

You make it the law of the new testament along with all the other requirements you teach, but will not openly acknowledge here.
Peter and Paul both understood you are saved by hearing the word of God. Read Acts 15 again. You cant have your yoke and grace both so make a choice this day whom do you serve? the yoke of slavery or the gift of grace. Rom 7:6 Show me in Acts were it says water baptism is necessary as you say.

Acts 1:22
Acts 10:37
Acts 13:24
Acts 18:25
Acts 19:3-4 repentance
Acts 19:5-6 Paul laid his hands on them
I would like you to notice what goes on here, first they tell Paul that they received the baptism of John.
Then look what happens,
Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

DID YOU CATCH THAT ASPEN, ANASTACIA? Mt 28:19 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

[sup]1[/sup] And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples [sup]2[/sup] he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”
So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”
[sup]3[/sup] And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?”
So they said, “Into John’s baptism.”
[sup]4[/sup] Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
[sup]5[/sup] When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. [sup]6[/sup] And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. [sup]7[/sup] Now the men were about twelve in all.

Take a note these were Israelites if they received Johns baptism.Acts 13:24

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Water baptism illustrates a believer’s identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. Our old nature is to die and we are to be “buried with Him through baptism into death.” We are buried in the water, and raised out of the water, raised to walk in newness of life (live like Jesus). And that's in Romans 6:4. Surely this water baptism is for Gentiles too!

Romans 6:4
We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Why is Peter still preaching about water if there is no more water baptism?

1 Peter 3:20-21
to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, [sup]21[/sup] and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Why does Paul preach about water and baptism if there is no more water baptism?

1 Corinthians 10:1 For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers and sisters, that our ancestors were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. [sup]2[/sup] They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. [sup]3[/sup] They all ate the same spiritual food [sup]4[/sup] and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. [sup]5[/sup] Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.

See 1 Corinthians 1:10-13, this shows that Peter and Apollos baptized. Paul baptized too, just not very many.

1 Corinthians 1:10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. [sup]11[/sup] My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. [sup]12[/sup] What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.” [sup]13[/sup] Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?

bud02

Aug 14, 2010

Acts 15
[sup]6[/sup] Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter. [sup]7[/sup] And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. [sup]8[/sup] So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, [sup]9[/sup] and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. [sup]10[/sup] Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? [sup]11[/sup] But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”
And I will set it up;

[sup]18[/sup] “Known to God from eternity are all His works.[sup][c][/sup] [sup]19[/sup] Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, [sup]20[/sup] but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,[sup][d][/sup]from things strangled, and from blood. [sup]21[/sup] For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

Theres the bottom line right there.
but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,[sup][d][/sup]from things strangled, and from blood. nothing about water.

And what does he say about how the Gentiles are saved?

[sup]7[/sup] And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. [sup]8[/sup] So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us,

Not a single word about water baptism. Do you all want to dispute the findings of the Apostles at the counsel of Jerusalem. I explained the misunderstanding that many have in the apparent contradictions in the NT it does not contradict, And Aspen Jesus came unto the Jews.

But what does Peter say about the salvation of the Gentiles?
[sup]11[/sup] But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”

Just what manner is that?

Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. [sup]8[/sup] So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, [sup]9[/sup] and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

So now grace has come to both the house of Israel and the Gentiles. How did this happen read my post.
http://www.christian...dpost__p__91800

Your "goal"? So far you've said scriptures were not about water baptism when they are in fact about water baptism. And you have also been shown to be loveless towards others here. I hear gongs playing...and a false teacher to boot.

As for you you are nothing more than an ignorant antagonist, Is your goal to irritate me in hopes of having me banned? It looks like it form your language that always precedes my reply.
Stone is heavy and sand a burden,
but a fool’s provocation is heavier than both.

In Christ,
Selene

You make it the law of the new testament along with all the other requirements you teach, but will not openly acknowledge here.
Peter and Paul both understood you are saved by hearing the word of God. Read Acts 15 again. You cant have your yoke and grace both so make a choice this day whom do you serve? the yoke of slavery or the gift of grace. Rom 7:6 Show me in Acts were it says water baptism is necessary as you say.

Acts 1:22
Acts 10:37
Acts 13:24
Acts 18:25
Acts 19:3-4 repentance
Acts 19:5-6 Paul laid his hands on them
I would like you to notice what goes on here, first they tell Paul that they received the baptism of John.
Then look what happens,
Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

DID YOU CATCH THAT ASPEN, ANASTACIA? Mt 28:19 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

They had already been baptized by John but look they receive a baptism by hearing about Jesus form Paul.
Then the HS by the laying of hands.
Like I said you just can't read baptism and presume its always speaking of water.
Mt 28:19

[sup]1[/sup] And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples [sup]2[/sup] he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”
So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”
[sup]4[/sup] Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
[sup]5[/sup] When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. [sup]6[/sup] And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. [sup]7[/sup] Now the men were about twelve in all.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
My replies to bud in pink.

bud, how is anyone "placing a yoke of the law on themselves"? People who already believe---they are the ones who get baptized. The unbelievers don't get baptized. And baptism isn't a yoke.

Theres the bottom line right there.
but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,[sup][d][/sup]from things strangled, and from blood. nothing about water.

Is there any thing about forgiving others? You are bringing up the things of the law that the Gentiles have to obey, but water baptism is in the New Covenant. There are a lot of commands in the New Testament that we have to obey.

And what does he say about how the Gentiles are saved?

We still have to repent. We still have to prove ourselves worthy. We still have to obey Jesus' commands. That's what the Bible says.

They had already been baptized by John but look they receive a baptism by hearing about Jesus form Paul.
Then the HS by the laying of hands.
Like I said you just can't read baptism and presume its always speaking of water.
Mt 28:19

Yes, they repented already and were baptized with John's baptism. I've already explained to you that some received the Holy Spirit before their water baptism.

Do you believe people have to repent? Do you believe that repenting is not required anymore either? The people in this passage already repented. And the Gentiles that received the Holy Spirit when they heard the message---God knew their hearts. God judged them to be worthy. And we are told in the Bible that they were told to keep being worthy.

Acts 15: [sup]8[/sup] God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.

Don't you think that it was important for the Jews to know that the Gentiles can have salvation too?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

My brother, baptism did not come from me; therefore, I never made it the law of the New Testament. Baptism came from God. It was God who ordered baptism and ALL His Apostles baptized with water and spirit. Show me where in the Bible did it say that the Apostles DID NOT baptize with water?

You want to know where in Acts it says that baptism is necessary? Here it is:

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

So, why do YOU forbid water baptism? Now, kindly show me where in the Bible it says that the Apostles DID NOT baptize with water?

As I said, if it was good enough for Christ to be baptize with water, then it is good enough for me. After all, Christ is the one I should follow in His footsteps because He is the Way to salvation.

In Christ,
Selene

John1

Nov 21, 2010
Selene

My brother, baptism did not come from me; therefore, I never made it the law of the New Testament. Baptism came from God. It was God who ordered baptism and ALL His Apostles baptized with water and spirit. Show me where in the Bible did it say that the Apostles DID NOT baptize with water?

Are you saying that Water Baptism is necessary for salvation?

NewGuy

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

Are you saying that Water Baptism is necessary for salvation?

NewGuy

Yes.

1 Peter 3:20-21 Which had been some time incredulous, when they waited for the patience of God in the days of Noe, when the ark was a building: wherein a few, that is, eight souls, were saved by water. Whereunto baptism being of the like form, now saveth you ALSO: not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the examination of a good conscience towards God by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

It seems to me that this would be works theology.

NewGuy

Hello NewGuy,

Is it "works theology" if a person prays to God? Baptism came from God. All the Apostles baptized with both water and with the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ, who is the Way to salvation, was also baptized with both water and spirit in the Jordan River. Are we not supposed to follow Jesus and the Apostles? If we are not supposed to follow Jesus and the Apostles (who actually practice baptism), then who are we supposed to follow?

John 3:5 Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

When Jesus spoke these words to Nicodemus, He was speaking of baptism.

In Christ,
Selene

John1

Nov 21, 2010

Selene

Is it "works theology" if a person prays to God?

A person who isn't saved, can pray all he wants but that doesn't mean that God hears that person.

Here is a question "at what point does God begin to hear our prayers"?

NewGuy

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

Selene

A person who isn't saved, can pray all he wants but that doesn't mean that God hears that person.

Here is a question "at what point does God begin to hear our prayers"?

NewGuy

I see.....so since you think that you are already saved by God, you don't need to pray to Him anymore? He saved you, so you don't need Him anymore? Is that it? My brother, the only ones who are truely saved are those who are already in Heaven. As long as you sin, you will need repentance and His forgiveness because every sin offends God and separates one from Him....or are you going to tell me that you are no longer a sinner?

You ask at what point does God begin to hear our prayers? My brother, God hears all prayers because He is all-powerful and omnipresent. God hears all things and sees all things. Whether He answers those prayers or not is His choice.

As for water baptism, I follow Christ (who thought it was important to be baptized with water) and His Apostles (who baptized with water).

In Christ,
Selene

John1

Nov 21, 2010
Selene

I see.....so since you think that you are already saved by God, you don't need to pray to Him anymore?

Where did you come up with that idea?

NewGuy

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Where did you come up with that idea?

NewGuy

From your own post. I asked you this question: Is it "works theology" if a person prays to God? Your answer to my post is the following:

Based on your answer, it seems useless that a person whom YOU considered unsaved to pray; therefore, I assumed that you do indeed consider "praying" as a works theology. Then you ask: "At what point does God begin to hear our prayers." My response to that question is that God hears all prayers, but it is up to Him if He wants to answer the person's prayers or not.

Again, in regards to baptism so that we don't get off topic, I follow Christ (who thought it was important to be baptized with water) and His Apostles (who baptized with water). Christ is the role model to follow and we are to follow in His footsteps (See 1 Peter 2:21). After all, He did say that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Christ is the Way to the Father....the Way to Salvation. So, if we can't imitate Him in the simplest things that He did, how can we reach salvation? Who are we to follow if we are not supposed to follow Christ's way....Christ who allowed Himself to be baptized with water?

1 Peter 2:21 For unto this are you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving you an example that you should follow his steps.

In Christ,
Selene

John1

Nov 21, 2010
Selene

How does one become a Christian?
Does God hear the prayer of the Unsaved?

Thanks in advance for your response

NewGuy

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Selene

How does one become a Christian?
Does God hear the prayer of the Unsaved?

Thanks in advance for your response

NewGuy

Hello NewGuy,

A Christian is one who follow God's will rather than his/her own will. God hears ALL prayers. He hears and sees all. He is not blind nor deaf. God even hears and knows what a non-Christian prays for because He is God. Do you believe that God can only hear the prayers of a Christian?

In Christ, .
Selene

John1

Nov 21, 2010
Selene

A Christian is one who follow God's will rather than his/her own will. God hears ALL prayers. He hears and sees all. He is not blind nor deaf. God even hears and knows what a non-Christian prays for because He is God.

Do you believe that everyone that prays is a Christian?

Thanks in advance

NewGuy

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Selene

Do you believe that everyone that prays is a Christian?

Thanks in advance

NewGuy

NewGuy, did you not read my last post? I stated that God can also hear and know the prayers of a non-Christian because He is God. Do you believe that God can only hear the prayers of a Christian? Could you answer that question?

In Christ,
Selene

John1

Nov 21, 2010
Selene

[sup]12[/sup] For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their prayer,
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil

NewGuy

Selene

Proverbs 28:9

He who turns away his ear from listening to the law,
Even his[sup] [/sup]prayer is an abomination.

NewGuy