Is believing/faith a work ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to read something other than Paul. You can't form doctrine on one singular witness, unless that witness is Christ:

Luke 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

John 11:5 Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

-Lazarus was loved by Jesus, which means Lazarus kept His commandments. Had Lazarus not kept His commandments, and not loved Jesus, then Jesus wouldn't have loved him, and ths would have been a different story.

When the wicked sins, is his death not merited unto him? Has he not earned his wages?
I hope God open up your eyes, because salvation by your works is contrary to Salvation by Grace.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is obedience something done by a person ? Yes or No please

You attempt to divert away from the truth I mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 2:10. It says that the reason why those who perish are perishing is because they received not the love of the truth that they MIGHT be saved. That’s what the verse basically says. You need to first deal with the truth of this verse before asking any questions that would appear to contradict the very verse that refutes your belief here. How do you accept what the words say in 2 Thessalonians 2:10? Do you believe 2 Thessalonians 2:10? If so… how? If you deal with explaining the verse I first put forth to you, then I am willing to answer your question (afterwards).

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You attempt to divert away from the truth I mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 2:10. It says that the reason why those who perish are perishing is because they received not the love of the truth that they MIGHT be saved. That’s what the verse basically says. You need to first deal with the truth of this verse before asking any questions that would appear to contradict the very verse that refutes your belief here. How do you accept what the words say in 2 Thessalonians 2:10? Do you believe 2 Thessalonians 2:10? If so… how? If you deal with explaining the verse I first put forth to you, then I am willing to answer your question (afterwards).
You on a discussion board and wont answer a simple yes or no question.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You on a discussion board and wont answer a simple yes or no question.

Are all questions true? Some questions in life can be loaded or based on false assumptions that are not based on the truth. For example: Rick could ask Bob, “So how long have you been beating your wife, Bob?” And yet, Bob is totally innocent in this matter and Rick is just making false assumptions or he heard a lie and believed it. For example: I could ask: Do you like the green cats that breath fire or the purple cats that fly and shoot lasers from their eyes? As you know, such a question is simply bogus or erroneous because there are no such cats that we know of in our known universe.

Anyways, I made my point to you about 2 Thessalonians 2:10 before your question. Generally it is common courtesy to answer a person on an original point before moving on with another point that defends one’s erroneous position.

Again, answer my original point that came before your question and I will attempt to answer your point. But we both know why you will not explain 2 Thessalonians 2:10. It is because it refutes your belief and your erroneous question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Titus

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are all questions true? Some questions in life can be loaded or based on false assumptions that are not based on the truth. For example: Rick could ask Bob, “So how long have you been beating your wife, Bob?” And yet, Bob is totally innocent in this matter and Rick is just making false assumptions or he heard a lie and believed it. For example: I could ask: Do you like the green cats that breath fire or the purple cats that fly and shoot lasers from their eyes? As you know, such a question is simply bogus or erroneous because there are no such cats that we know of in our known universe.

Anyways, I made my point to you about 2 Thessalonians 2:10 before your question. Generally it is common courtesy to answer a person on an original point before moving on with another point that defends one’s erroneous position.

Again, answer my original point that came before your question and I will attempt to answer your point. But we both know why you will not explain 2 Thessalonians 2:10. It is because it refutes your belief and your erroneous question.
Unbelievable !

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unbelievable !

I know, it’s unbelievable that you did not explain 2 Thessalonians 2:10. I am not expecting you to believe that verse in what it plainly says. You have to twist or change it in order for it to conform to Calvinism (Which is simply an unbiblical concept).

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is believing Faith a work ? Yes because its doing something, and consequently if a person must do something prior to God granting them Salvation, then its not to be considered Salvation by Grace, but the opposite, salvation by works. Thats to say, salvation is being rewarded based on something you did !26

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is believing Faith a work ? Yes because its doing something, and consequently if a person must do something prior to God granting them Salvation, then its not to be considered Salvation by Grace, but the opposite, salvation by works
It is work but not works in the Biblical sense. The former is internal while the latter is external.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation by Gods grace does not require works of all kind ,must therefore be excluded from salvation.

We know faith itself is a work, John 6:28-29.

The only works that must be excluded from salvation for it to be by Gods unmerited gift is works of merit.

Works of obedience are not meritorious therefore they do not need to be excluded from Gods grace.

Paul teaches only those who do works will be accepted by God,
Acts 10:35,
-But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.

Works of righteousness CANNOT BE MERITORIOUS WORKS. God does not except anyone who tries to earn their salvation through their own merit,Work.

Works of righteousness are defined by David as obedience to Gods commandments,
Psalm 119:172,
-My tongue shall speak of Your word, For all Your commandments are righteousness.

You see God is pleased with these kind of works. Why? Because obedience to Gods commandments are not meritorious works.

These works of obedience are also taught by James to be pleasing to God,
James 2:24,
-You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith only.

Failure to distinguish the different kinds of works in the Bible, as faith only folks do,
Is the main reason people today cannot believe that works can have any part in salvation.
They always make the error of lumping all works into meritorious category.

James and Paul would never had said that works cause man to be accepted by God and justified if they believed works were only viewed in the negative by God.

Some works are simply obeying, submitting to Gods gospel of grace.

Reactions: Nancy

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The prevalent doctrine among protestant churches that Grace must exclude all works to be grace is Biblically error.
Contradiction: Grace is not grace if one is required to do a work to receive Gods grace.
If this common belief were true, Faith itself must be eliminated from Jesus' gospel!

The Bible teaches faith is in fact a work,
John 6:28-29.
This is a work that is required by God to receive His Unmerited gift of grace.
If one believes in Jesus, has the work of faith merited his salvation?
That is absurd.
This is why faith is a work but not a work of merit.
It is the works of obedience taught by Paul and James, James 2:24.

Example of free gifts being given but requirements are still required by the gift giver,

Car dealership is giving away a free new car.
To win the free care one must meet the conditions! For this gift is not unconditional.
1) Must enter the drawing,
2) Must give Full name, phone number, home address, proof of United states citizenship.

If you Do all of the prerequisites that are required by the gift giver. You can win the car for free.
By doing these things did we merit the car? Or is the car a free gift with conditions attached?

Surely we can see that faith is the condition that we must Do, in order to receive the free gift we have not earned.

Conclusion: Just because you must do things to be saved does not nullify Gods Grace.
Gods grace is not unconditional. And these conditions must be done by us. When we do these things we are not meriting anything. Works of obedience do not nullify Grace being a free gift.

Reactions: Ernest T. Bass

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
James 2:14 ASV What doth it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but have not works? can that faith save him?
James 2:14 NLT What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone?

James is speaking of a particular KIND of faith. The KIND of faith James speaks about here in v14 is a faith void of works. Just a mental acknowledgment of certain facts about Christ, no matter how sincere one may be, cannot save apart from works. One can sincerely, wholly believe and acknowledge that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, yet can that KIND of faith save apart from doing what Christ says to do, Lk 6:46? Therefore the KIND of faith that saves is one that includes works in doing the will of Christ.

Since James is speaking of a particular KIND of faith, then there are different kinds of faith. James pointedly makes it clear that "faith" and "faith alone" are two completely different KINDS of faith where "faith" justifies (Rom 5:1-2) and "faith alone" does not justify (James 2). If "faith" and "faith alone" were the exact same things then either both would justify or neither one would justifiy. The fact "faith" justifies and "faith alone" does not justify proves that "faith" and "faith alone" are two completely DIFFERENT KINDS of faith. No need for the distinction to be made between "faith" and "faith alone" if both were the exact same thing.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is believing Faith a work ? Yes because its doing something, and consequently if a person must do something prior to God granting them Salvation, then its not to be considered Salvation by Grace, but the opposite, salvation by works. Thats to say, salvation is being rewarded based on something you did !26
Faith is a gift. "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb. 11:1 It is the sureness put in your heart, you know and are convinced that it is true, Gidbhas revealed Himself to you through His word and spiritually within. He forgives you and offers eternal life, promises it to you, and you believe and have faith that "all things work together for good for those who love the LORD, for those who are called to His purpose." This is a realization that you were enlightened with. You didn't work for it, it was given to you. Faith comes by the Word. So you were drawn to the word. Of course you had to listen to it or read it, but you didn't earn it or merit it. Once we have it, we act on it, we do works. Works are prepared for us to do. He grows fruit in us. His works are demonstrated through us. He gets the credit, we just participate.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
rdb

Faith is a gift.

Correct of Grace.

Of course you had to listen to it or read it, but you didn't earn it or merit it. Once we have it, we act on it, we do works. Works are prepared for us to do. He grows fruit in us. His works are demonstrated through us. He gets the credit, we just participate.

This is cleverly disguised works !

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd say not. Satan believes and...trembles?
Actually it is . I see what you are saying my dear sister . yet remember TRUE BELIEF embraces Obediance .
false belief simply does as it will . YES even the devils beleive and yes even many within christendom believe
just as i once did . BUT ITS ALL DEAD FAITH and its BELIEF sure dont BELIEVE in the things JESUS taught .
OH it might beleive he existed , BUT IT SURE DONT FOLLOW HIM . I Should know i was the worst .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd say not. Satan believes and...trembles?
IF one truly believed IN JESUS then why do they not BELIEVE JESUS .
That is the problem . That shows what we truly are BELEIVING IN .
IF one truly believed IN JESUS then they would have BELIEVED JESUS .
AKA , IF YA BELIEVE IN JESUS YOU WOULD HAVE BELIEVED ALL THINGS HE TAUGHT .
Too many twist things HE taught . THEY can say with their lips OH I believe in JESUS
but what JESUS do they believe in , THE ONE THEY FOLLOW .
Abraham BELIEVED GOD . GOD TOLD HIM THINGS , HE BELIEVED what GOD SAID .
SEe the difference . Many say I BELIEVE , but if they believed
they would have done as did abraham . GOD TOLD ABRAHAM TO DO and HE DID
BUT I DONT SEE THIS IS Many folks . THUS its all vanity of vanities .
IF we honestly BELIEVED IN JESUS < IN GOD , THEN WE WOULD HAVE DONE the things commanded us .
But if we serve a jesus and a god that picks and chooses and omits other things . REST assured
the only god we follow aint GOD , its our own desires and the only CHRIST we serve
aint CHRIST its the christ , do notice that one aint capitalized , that served our own flesh . SATAN IS THE AUTHOR OF that one