Is believing in the trinity necessary to be a christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Believing in the Trinity does not bring you salvation....believing in Jesus and receiving him as Lord and savior does... ^_^

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
The people who crucified Christ did not believe in the trinity ..... that is why they killed him .....

Jesus told them .... "when you see Me you see The Father"

... they did not believe it , and killed Him for claiming to be God.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
HeRoseFromTheDead said:
I don't care to prove anything, but I will indirectly reference the verses I referred to and you can make up your own mind.
The proverbs refer to wisdom as a woman. Knowledge and understanding are her sisters.
Isaiah 11:1 reveals that the holy spirit consists of 7 spirits of which three are wisdom, understanding and knowledge. I believe 2 or 3 more of the seven also have a Hebrew female gender.
Revelation describes the holy spirit as 7 lamps before the thrown.
Zechariah describes the 7 spirits as seven eyes.
The holy spirit in the NT appears in both the masculine and neuter genders.
The holy spirit descended upon Jesus as a dove.

That's all I can remember at the moment.

No, not a JW.

Tell me. Can you grieve something that's void of mind, emotions and will?

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
HeRoseFromTheDead said:
You have a spirit that can be grieved. Does it have a body?
Do I? How do you know? If you look carefully into the scriptures you will notice the words SPIRIT and SOUL when referring to man is used synonymously, depending upon application or point made. Focus is usually on the function of said operation. i.e. such as God knows or understands the reigns of man to indicate his innermost thoughts/intentions/direction/desire. Verse love the LORD your GOD with all your heart, soul and strength... etc.

Consider Ephesians 4: 30 and get back to me.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
Do I? How do you know? If you look carefully into the scriptures you will notice the words SPIRIT and SOUL when referring to man is used synonymously, depending upon application or point made. Focus is usually on the function of said operation. i.e. such as God knows or understands the reigns of man to indicate his innermost thoughts/intentions/direction/desire. Verse love the LORD your GOD with all your heart, soul and strength... etc.
How do I know. The scriptures say so. Do a bible search for man + spirit and you will see that what I say is true. All your commentary is your opinion.

You didn't answer my question.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
HeRoseFromTheDead said:
How do I know. The scriptures say so. Do a bible search for man + spirit and you will see that what I say is true. All your commentary is your opinion.

You didn't answer my question.
Didn't I ??
Have you got past the scripture verse in Ephesians 4;30 yet? Extremely hard to wiggle around that one.

Are you a COG member?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Not COG.

You asked me if I can grieve something that's void of mind, emotions and will, referencing Eph, 4:30 as a proof text (in your mind).

My answer to you in the form of a question pointed out the obvious fact that you have a spirit that can be grieved, but its body is your body.

You attempted to skirt that reality by claiming that soul and spirit are the same thing (for what reason I don't know), contrary to what scripture plainly teaches:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23

For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Where would you like to go from here?

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
HeRoseFromTheDead said:
Not COG.

You asked me if I can grieve something that's void of mind, emotions and will, referencing Eph, 4:30 as a proof text (in your mind).

My answer to you in the form of a question pointed out the obvious fact that you have a spirit that can be grieved, but its body is your body.

You attempted to skirt that reality by claiming that soul and spirit are the same thing (for what reason I don't know), contrary to what scripture plainly teaches:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23

For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Where would you like to go from here?
That's simple. Go back to the question I originally asked you, but you side stepped with philosophical banter. i.e you answered a question with a question, as though you were Jesus.

So, lets try again. Exegete Ephesians 4: 30 for me. Remember man is made in the image of God NOT the likeness. i.e similar not same. Keep in mind that when God breathed in man the breath of life. It was just that. He's(God's) life force, and as such can be revoked, which then would render the body dead. As James said "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead." James 2: 26

Remember the spirit of man returns to God from whom it came. Eccl 12:7 It's not a by-product of the breath of God and the body- rather the soul is.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
That's simple. Go back to the question I originally asked you, but you side stepped with philosophical banter. i.e you answered a question with a question, as though you were Jesus.

So, lets try again. Exegete Ephesians 4: 30 for me. Remember man is made in the image of God NOT the likeness. i.e similar not same. Keep in mind that when God breathed in man the breath of life. It was just that. He's(God's) life force, and as such can be revoked, which then would render the body dead. As James said "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead." James 2: 26

Remember the spirit of man returns to God from whom it came. Eccl 12:7 It's not a by-product of the breath of God and the body- rather the soul is.
I don't like your attitude. Believe whatever you want to believe.

IAmAWitness

Nov 7, 2012
James, the greatest apostle of the New Testament era, though he is not called an apostle, he was the greatest of the epistlers, wrote this: James 2:19 "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

There are so many verses that prove that Trinitarianism is a lie. This is one I found recently. James clearly did not believe his brother was God. The demons don't believe in polytheism or some captaincy or hierachy of demons. And they don't believe in some dag-nabbit Trinity doctrine of lies either. Deep down, they know there is one God and many of you Christians even are behind the curve compared to every demon in heaven and earth. The demons are better versed then many of these "Christians".

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Why is believing in the trinity crucial to one's salvation?
Unless we have a revelation like Peter did (Matt 16:16,17) of who Jesus is, how can we be a true Christian? We would be no better off then a Muslim accepting Jesus as a prophet.

Everyone can and should believe in the historical person named Jesus. But only Christians in His diety.
Cor 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Angelina said:
Demons believe that there is one God and they tremble..but that does not make them saved :huh: James 2:19
Hi Angelina.

Consider the verse above.

Sure, you don't have to believe in the trinity to get saved, but when you are saved you do. Hence you cannot be saved if you don't.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
KingJ said:
Unless we have a revelation like Peter did (Matt 16:16,17) of who Jesus is, how can we be a true Christian? We would be no better off then a Muslim accepting Jesus as a prophet.

Everyone can and should believe in the historical person named Jesus. But only Christians in His diety.
Cor 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Hi Angelina.

Sure, you don't have to believe in the trinity to get saved, but when you are saved you do. Hence you cannot be saved if you don't.
KingJ said:

Hi Angelina.

AMEN!

KingJ said:

Hi Angelina.

Your last line to Angelina is completely wrong. Whether you understand the Godhead as a trinity or not doesn't ensure or prove your salvation.

Rather, if you Know Jesus and he Know's you this is what your salvation depends on. In regards to anything else, if you acknowledge Jesus is God, Holy Ghost is God and the father is God, what need of a formula. One can believe all this without the need nor desire to embrace the trinitarian concept. We actually don't need to comprehend such a thing to be Christ's disciples.

We only need to acknowledge each person and understand how each relates to us according to God's plan.

Suffer the little children to come unto me for such is the kingdom of God.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
AMEN!

Your last line to Angelina is completely wrong. Whether you understand the Godhead as a trinity or not doesn't ensure or prove your salvation.

Rather, if you Know Jesus and he Know's you this is what your salvation depends on. In regards to anything else, if you acknowledge Jesus is God, Holy Ghost is God and the father is God, what need of a formula. One can believe all this without the need nor desire to embrace the trinitarian concept. We actually don't need to comprehend such a thing to be Christ's disciples.

We only need to acknowledge each person and understand how each relates to us according to God's plan.

Suffer the little children to come unto me for such is the kingdom of God.
I don't disagree with you. Just think about the verse I quoted in Corinthians. It says clearly that unless the Holy Spirit reveals it to us, nobody can ''truly'' call Jesus Lord.

Hence, a Christian can never be a true atheist.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
KingJ said:
I don't disagree with you. Just think about the verse I quoted in Corinthians. It says clearly that unless the Holy Spirit reveals it to us, nobody can ''truly'' call Jesus Lord.

Hence, a Christian can never be a true atheist.
Gotcha, and AMEN to that. :)

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
Nobody can be a 'true atheist'. All people at least secretly believe in God, you don't have any choice. Believing in right and wrong requires that you believe an eternal logic that decides good and evil.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Arnie Manitoba said:
The people who crucified Christ did not believe in the trinity ..... that is why they killed him .....

Jesus told them .... "when you see Me you see The Father"

... they did not believe it , and killed Him for claiming to be God.

Cough.

May I put forward something? The Jews didn't crucify Jesus because they didn't believe in the Trinity. The Jews crucified Jesus because he wasn't the Messiah they were looking for.

The Trinity is something man created because he wanted a 'logical' explanation for the miraculous fusion of God and man, rather than just simply believing that God (the Holy ONE of Israel) can do anything he pleases, including inhabiting a mortal body and feeling what we feel.