Is believing in the trinity necessary to be a christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
Why is believing in the trinity crucial to one's salvation?
it is important depending upon what you want to get out of being a christian. if you are asking if we need to believe in the trinity to get saved then my answer would be no. the reason being is rom 10:9 tells us what is required in order to be saved. but if you are wanting to go after everything God has for you then yes believing in the trinity is very important.

God bless

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
You probally already believe in the trinity but dont realize it.

1.God

2.Jesus

3.The Holy Spirit

2 and 3 came out of 1

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
When I first got saved, I didn't know anything about the Trinity. So I personally believe that the Trinity is not linked with salvation but rather something that you begin to understand later on in your walk with God. :)

The question I'd like to know is: why do Christians link their theology onto the salvation message?
Salvation is a free gift, given by God? It is not earnt but given to an individual by grace through faith? :huh:

BB

Reactions: forrestcupp

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear J,

Unfortunately, many in the church believe that holding the doctrine of the triune God is essential to your salvation. Like Z I believe that it clouds the issue of who we are in God and is detrimental.

Blessings,

Justin

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, while I don't think anyone totally understands the Trinity in totality, I would go the way that you must understand something about the Trinity at salvation. After all, it came down to what one Person of the trinity did, and in order to do what he did there must be something that links to God yet retains the humanity necessary to come to Earth, experience, and die. I am not one to think that we can be saved and yet not enlightened, even if it is a very elementary enlightenment that may only show partial light. What we view often as the moment of salvation, but it's just the beginning of a process that God works within us. I've seen it enough to understand that the intellect is brought along, and further understanding is given, the knowledge of the Trinity grows.

We define that there are two, the Father and the Son, and three with the Holy Spirit, and this number is made by the pattern of salvation...
[which] brings about unity in trinity, interrelating the three, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are three, not in dignity,
but in degree, not in substance but in form, not in power but in kind. They are of one substance and power, because there is one God from whom
these degrees, forms and kinds devolve in the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Tertullian (Adv. Prax. 23; PL 2.156-7)

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Angelina said:
When I first got saved, I didn't know anything about the Trinity. So I personally believe that the Trinity is not linked with salvation but rather something that you begin to understand later on in your walk with God. :)

The question I'd like to know is: why do Christians link their theology onto the salvation message?
Salvation is a free gift, given by God? It is not earnt but given to an individual by grace through faith? :huh:

BB
Good question. It's hard to tell, as I imagine they all have similar but distinct reasons. However, I tend Good to think - in regards to some denominations- it's a power play. That's, don't agree with every article of faith and you can't be a christian, nor can you attend this church. Of course raising the question of the trinity in early church history was to ward off the gnostic heretics, and deliver a systematic theology in regards to the Godhead.

Personally I believe the concept of a trinity is totally irrelevant. The central question to Christianity is as Jesus himself asked "who do the people say I AM?". By the way this was the the initial reason for the above.

As I think it has already been alluded too, once you delve into the scripture one cannot but help notice that the word addresses God the father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. but to come up with a formula, I think, is a personal and subjective point of view.

Such things ought NOT to be thrust forth as a central tenet of Christianity. Rather, if one doesn't know and understand properly that Jesus is GOD in the flesh from get go & repent, then no matter what one 'may' understand about the mysteries of the Godhead, one is still lost in their sins. :)

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Completely understanding the Trinity has never been the issue.

The critical part is if someone denies that Jesus Christ is God come in the flesh .

To deny the divinity of Christ is probably the most serious rejection and insult made toward both God and His Son

So as long as we do not reject God as the Son , Spirit , & Father we are OK , even though it is hard for our minds to full grasp how "the three are one" (trinity)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I understand that a certain portion of the Trinity is present in the salvation message, esp: in confessing and believing Romans 10:9-10 but it is still a relatively mysterious concept to a new believer. Faith can be like that and God reveals himself as one progresses in their walk with him... :)

Have you ever heard a new believer try to fit Father, Son and Holy Spirit in a closing prayer? :huh: listening to new believer's pray, can sometimes reveal their understanding or lack of understanding of this concept. That does not make them unsaved...it means they are learning and will grow from being babies who drink milk only to eventually being weaned onto solid food..and IMO it does not mean that someone is not saved because they did not fully understand the concept of the Trinity.

Many mature believers, still do not fully grasp this otherwise denominations would not be fighting and arguing over it today and if they do not understand it fully...what hope is there for a baby Christian?...

Shalom!!!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Trinity is like some secret formula used to make us feel special but its not true. If it where so. God would of had to forsake Himself upon the cross, and He would have to divide Himself or how could He sit beside Himself,

Heb_10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Jesus was a seed from God sown in the womb of Mary that through Her Faith produced Life, Jesus who is teh word of God come in the flesh. He is not God but His desire was to be the express image of God, to show the whole world who His, our father is, yet many today still reject Him and would rather believe the doctrines of men. They would rather listen to the lies of men than sit at the feet of teh one who is the truth, the only one who can save them.

In all His Love

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
Why should we confuse ourselves with trinity or whatever..! to whom should we pray? who is bigger? type of questions..!

Our God is one, He is the creator of universe, who is alpha and omega. He works in 3 ways. Thats it.

There is no name for one God. Because there is no other God in this universe. called as YHWH. ovel less word, which cannot be spelled. Yeah. Who are we to put name to God?? we are created by Him. so, God revealed Him as YHWH to Moses. God planned to come as man to the world to die for human sins and he came as Jesus Christ and died for us. After Jesus is taken to heaven, We have a comfortor, advisor, who teaches us how to walk like Jesus lived as Human.

There is only one way to go to heaven is by Jesus Christ. thats clear.

So, God is Almighty, who came for us to die for our sins and now with us as Holy spirit as comfortor.

If we make this trinity as issue or confuse ourselves, then Gentiles will be even more confused.

Thanks

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
The above is an example of Sabellianism, a heresy condemned by The Synod of Rome in 262. Sabellius was excommunicated by Bishop Callistus at that Synod and his teachings condemned.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
Personal belief in the Trinity is not necessary for salvation, no. It is however necessary for an establishment to be a legitmate Christian institution. A lot of Christians split hairs on things like this- do not be decieved: the Trinity is true, but it is not a dividing line for either salvation or damnation. The very thought is preposterous.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
The tri-unity of God need not be an issue unless somebody claims,,,

...Jesus was just another prophet
...Jesus was a great teacher but just a man
...Jesus was a perfect man but he was not God
...Jesus was not God's Son
'
It would be times like that a person would have to confess and believe in the trinity (divinity of Jesus and The Holy Spirit.) in order to be saved.

We must remember that a lot of people witnessed what Jesus was doing , they saw him live and in person , saw his miracles , but refused to believe he was The Son of God.

That is what the unbelievers do not believe.

In situations like that , acknowledging and believing in the trinity is crucial for salvation

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
mjrhealth said:
The Trinity is like some secret formula used to make us feel special but its not true. If it where so. God would of had to forsake Himself upon the cross, and He would have to divide Himself or how could He sit beside Himself,
The Logos (supreme logic) manifests in three beings.

It is a very simple doctrine, no secret formula. The metaphysical explanations and workings behind it is what many don't understand, and for good reason- not everyone knows much about metaphysics. People who believe in general relativity don't know much about the math behind it either.

People deny the Trinity as a result of their stubbornness, not because it doesn't work. Greek philosophers and theologians didn't simply miss such an obvious issue that you put up, because there isn't one. You have to give them due credit for pretty much being pioneers of philosophy or having PhDs. It's not like you're going to dismatle their conclusions by throwing layman curveballs.

IAmAWitness

Nov 7, 2012
If it were necessary to believe in the lies of the devil then I guess it would be necessary for salvation. Only a devil would ever say you have to believe an illogical, incomprehensible lie in order to be saved.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
SilenceInMotion said:
Personal belief in the Trinity is not necessary for salvation, no. It is however necessary for an establishment to be a legitmate Christian institution. A lot of Christians split hairs on things like this- do not be decieved: the Trinity is true, but it is not a dividing line for either salvation or damnation. The very thought is preposterous.
Quote: It is however necessary for an establishment to be a legitmate Christian institution.

JB: How so? Or is this a modern version of "don't throw out the baby with the bath water"?