Is Christian mysticism a good thing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi John,

"belief that union with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or the spiritual apprehension of knowledge inaccessible to the intellect, may be attained through contemplation and self-surrender."

Not knowing anything about "Christian" Mysticism it seems as though the above definition almost sounds like one who is into this tries to attain a being a part of the Godhood ("absorption into the Deity") Could be way off here but it is what it reads to me :)
It was something I copied from Wikipedia. I did not write it and would be careful about fully supporting it myself without conditions and definitions of my own. I don't like the term, "self-surrender". Our surrender and subjection as I understand it should be to God.

Reactions: Nancy and soul man

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wisdom edifies, protects and saves souls. If words to live by were not given to you from your so-called experience, or a veritable miracle did not occur, then you need more sleep, start eating more nutritiously, and stop watching and reading flaky material. God's people needs words of truth, proper doctrine, and self-discipline, we are sheep amongst wolves. Dreams and flying angels does absolutely no one, any good.
How do you account for Paul's mystical experience? Which changed his life. Gave him the faith he needed to write and evangelise.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How do you account for Paul's mystical experience? Which changed his life. Gave him the faith he needed to write and evangelise.
That was both a veritable miracle, and he heard the most profound words of all time - words to live and die by, which he did.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guess I will have to start a good guys group. I'm of course one of the good ones.
LOL..! Well of course... Consider the words penned by Solomon:

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

Reactions: saintiaint

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You astound me with your broad minded contributions. Praise the Lord! I've found a friend on here!
Give God the glory my friend! I have found of few of those [friends that is] here, but I have also lost more than one.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting conversation, relatively few punch outs. The way it should be, grown men and women having a good discussion :) well I'm still growing up :) young always.

Reactions: amadeus

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yes definitely. I'm a big fan of Christian mysticism.
Catholicism has a mystical tradition.
Mystics like St. John of the Cross, had mystical experiences, bordering on supernatural. He had a very special relationship with God. Here's a wiki summary.

Christian mysticism - Wikipedia

Hey if you're not a little weird your not aloud to be a christian, I kid. Well not really, I don't think you can get any weirder than I according to my wife :)

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's my wife "hands on her hips shaking her head saying 'who gets up Lord knows when in the middle of the night, writes letters blog's does this thread deal what ever in the world that is and drinks coffee laughs cries and then goes about his day, you need your head examined" lol being a little facetious but she does look at me funny.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Mystics like St. John of the Cross, had mystical experiences, bordering on supernatural. He had a very special relationship with God. Here's a wiki summary.

Mysticism is not a part of Bible Christianity. It is associated with false religions.

Its associated by who, as a false religion?

Christian Mysticism, is simply the deepest form of Christianity.
Its a spirituality that is really just to exist in the "fullness of the stature of Christ".

The "supernatural" is natural to God, but its miraculous to those who can't understand how Christianity is designed to function and perform.

Christian Mystics are simply people who produce in this natural world what Christ is all about and what Christianity is supposed to be.

Most Christians, are carnal. The are trying to feel adjusted to the world while talking a good game of Christianese.
Churchs and Forums are filled with these types.
Infected.
Christian Mysitics are in the world but not of it, and so, this is exactly how real Christianity is supposed to exist AS the Life of a Believer.
So, what is ODD is the carnal christian, the worldly christian, the self righteous christian, the self saving christian, and what is normal is the Mystick, or the Martyr, or similar.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was something I copied from Wikipedia. I did not write it and would be careful about fully supporting it myself without conditions and definitions of my own. I don't like the term, "self-surrender". Our surrender and subjection as I understand it should be to God.

Hi John,
Yes, I know it was just a definition and you did not write it.
"Self surrender" kind of stopped me in my tracks but then I saw it as surrendering to God but, now I'm not so sure...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi John,
Yes, I know it was just a definition and you did not write it.
"Self surrender" kind of stopped me in my tracks but then I saw it as surrendering to God but, now I'm not so sure...
It's kind of like that name of another forum where I have history: "True2Ourselves"

Being true to ourselves in one sense may be following the lead of God in us, but in another it could be a very selfish attitude. Selfishness is where carnal man begins... but it cannot be where a man of God finished his course not and remain a man of God.

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." John 10:17-18

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil 2:3

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's kind of like that name of another forum where I have history: "True2Ourselves"

Being true to ourselves in one sense may be following the lead of God in us, but in another it could be a very selfish attitude. Selfishness is where carnal man begins... but it cannot be where a man of God finished his course not and remain a man of God.

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." John 10:17-18

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil 2:3

Agreed. Sounds like a lot of "inner self" kind of stuff. Focus not on God but self. And, yeah...very selfish and sounds dangerous :eek:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You should try going into the black box and confess all your sins to a carnal priest. That is very mystic.