Is Debating Good For Our Soul? (part 2)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 : "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

The Principle is clear: Just as Iron sharpens Iron – so we sharpen or influence someone to: prepare, make glad, be useful, productive and growing in every area of life. So how do we do this? What does it take? It takes Intention – Just as iron has the purpose of sharpening iron, so we must be intentional about sharpening one another. We need to seek those who can sharpen us and we need to intentionally seek those whom we can sharpen in life as well. Intention also identifies our true purpose. The intention according to Scripture is to help a person become complete and ready in every area of Life. Jesus is an example – Luke 2:52; “Jesus grew in wisdom, stature and in favor with both God and Man”. He grew (He was Sharpened) in Wisdom, Physically, Spiritually and Socially, as we all should in our day to day walk with our God.

There are many scriptures that deal w/ church unity and what I call, “body life” that all speak of this same thing, but that’s a whole ‘nother topic that I might post later.

I’ve been a member of this forum for a little over six years, but I’ve had to take a few breaks from the forum because it was affecting my walk with Christ. Certain persons would aggravate me or I would lose patience with someone. Sometimes, if I’m being honest w/ myself, pride would rear its ugly head and being right became more important than what I was trying to share. Consider this: Matt. 12:36 – “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak,(or type) they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.” When you view some of the things said on this forum and the attitudes behind them I think that should be a little disconcerting to all of us.

So, what am I saying? That all debate is evil? No, because we have biblical examples of the disciples doing it, such as:

Acts 15:1-2 – “Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brothers, “Unless you are circumcised in accordance with the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 Paul and Barnabas disagreed greatly and debated with them, so it was determined that Paul and Barnabas and some of the others from their group would go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders [and confer with them] concerning this issue.” (Read thru vs. 11 for, the full story)

Acts 19:8-9 AMP – “And he went into the synagogue and for three months spoke boldly, reasoning and arguing and persuading them about the kingdom of God. 9 But when some were becoming hardened and disobedient [to the word of God], discrediting and speaking evil of [a]the Way (Jesus, Christianity) before the congregation, Paul left them, taking the disciples with him, and went on holding daily discussions in the lecture hall of Tyrannus [instead of in the synagogue].”

If a new Christian were to go to the right thread at the right time, they may be appalled by the lack of Christian conduct they find. Brothers and Sisters, we can do better, we can be better and if we truly want to act like Jesus, we must be better! But it won’t be easy because it brings up many questions and that is where I appeal to those who read this thread to help me find the answers.

At what point does passion for the truth turn into dissension? How do we disagree w/o being disagreeable? What topics (if there are any) are worth debating to the point that creates strife and quarreling? In the discussions that most of us involve ourselves with, how can we who have differing views still end up edifying each other throughout the debate? I don’t know if it will work or not but I’ve decided to try this:

Before each session

Pray for the knowledge to know what to say

and how to express it with love and ask myself:

Will this edify or discourage who I am speaking to?

Is the issue important enough to dispute about?

Am I expressing the fruits of the Holy Spirit?

Will this build up and encourage who I am speaking to?

Will this lead to unity or division?

I printed out a version of this in larger print and tacked it near my computer. If any you catch me not living up to these standards then I give you permission to call me on it but please try and be nice about it.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 : "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

The Principle is clear: Just as Iron sharpens Iron – so we sharpen or influence someone to: prepare, make glad, be useful, productive and growing in every area of life. So how do we do this? What does it take? It takes Intention – Just as iron has the purpose of sharpening iron, so we must be intentional about sharpening one another. We need to seek those who can sharpen us and we need to intentionally seek those whom we can sharpen in life as well. Intention also identifies our true purpose. The intention according to Scripture is to help a person become complete and ready in every area of Life. Jesus is an example – Luke 2:52; “Jesus grew in wisdom, stature and in favor with both God and Man”. He grew (He was Sharpened) in Wisdom, Physically, Spiritually and Socially, as we all should in our day to day walk with our God.

There are many scriptures that deal w/ church unity and what I call, “body life” that all speak of this same thing, but that’s a whole ‘nother topic that I might post later.

I’ve been a member of this forum for a little over six years, but I’ve had to take a few breaks from the forum because it was affecting my walk with Christ. Certain persons would aggravate me or I would lose patience with someone. Sometimes, if I’m being honest w/ myself, pride would rear its ugly head and being right became more important than what I was trying to share. Consider this: Matt. 12:36 – “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak,(or type) they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.” When you view some of the things said on this forum and the attitudes behind them I think that should be a little disconcerting to all of us.

So, what am I saying? That all debate is evil? No, because we have biblical examples of the disciples doing it, such as:

Acts 15:1-2 – “Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brothers, “Unless you are circumcised in accordance with the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 Paul and Barnabas disagreed greatly and debated with them, so it was determined that Paul and Barnabas and some of the others from their group would go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders [and confer with them] concerning this issue.” (Read thru vs. 11 for, the full story)

Acts 19:8-9 AMP – “And he went into the synagogue and for three months spoke boldly, reasoning and arguing and persuading them about the kingdom of God. 9 But when some were becoming hardened and disobedient [to the word of God], discrediting and speaking evil of [a]the Way (Jesus, Christianity) before the congregation, Paul left them, taking the disciples with him, and went on holding daily discussions in the lecture hall of Tyrannus [instead of in the synagogue].”

If a new Christian were to go to the right thread at the right time, they may be appalled by the lack of Christian conduct they find. Brothers and Sisters, we can do better, we can be better and if we truly want to act like Jesus, we must be better! But it won’t be easy because it brings up many questions and that is where I appeal to those who read this thread to help me find the answers.

At what point does passion for the truth turn into dissension? How do we disagree w/o being disagreeable? What topics (if there are any) are worth debating to the point that creates strife and quarreling? In the discussions that most of us involve ourselves with, how can we who have differing views still end up edifying each other throughout the debate? I don’t know if it will work or not but I’ve decided to try this:

Before each session

Pray for the knowledge to know what to say

and how to express it with love and ask myself:

Will this edify or discourage who I am speaking to?

Is the issue important enough to dispute about?

Am I expressing the fruits of the Holy Spirit?

Will this build up and encourage who I am speaking to?

Will this lead to unity or division?

I printed out a version of this in larger print and tacked it near my computer. If any you catch me not living up to these standards then I give you permission to call me on it but please try and be nice about it.

"Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 " Some of my favorite verses. I hope you don't mind but, I am going to borrow those questions and pin them up on my own wall... :)

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good indeed.

Not sure about debating...but discussion is good for helping up to be "rooted and grounded"

"And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while He talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?"

Mali 3:16
"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it , and a book of remembrance was written before Him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name."

Short answer to the topic...

..........Y E S !! ......

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...not to doubtful disputations. Iron sharpens iron...but there is a limit.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You know if iron is a fine enough powder it will spontaneously ignite and burn. The product of iron sharpening iron is the creation of fine iron particles.

A true fact.

Last edited: