Is Dr. Seuss Racist?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Rita, hope your doing well... You being from the UK I am reminded of one of my old favourite childhood shows, Thomas the tank engine...
I was horrified when I heard what they did to the fat controller... They gave him a name like Sir So and So cos its apparently offensive to say that someone is fat... Rubbish

Some other painful examples are Sleeping Beauty and Snow White being canceled cos the girls didn't consent to being kissed by the prince, they were sexually harassed according to them...

And what on earth happened to Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck... Their friends now and have girlfriends...
There is nothing funny about any of it anymore... I was told that they changed it cos it was too violent... Geez

I wondered then what they had done to my beloved road runner cartoon show...
It took me a year to finally look into that and to my surprise, the roadrunner is exactly the same.
Coyote failing to catch the roadrunner again and again and again...

If we accept people disappearing from social media or the movies or TV then how long until people start accepting the incarceration of such???

Yeah, also Cookie Monster is now Carrot Monster, Little Bunny Foo-Foo can no longer bop the field mice on the head and Baa-Baa Black Sheep is now a thing of the past. :rolleyes:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, also Cookie Monster is now Carrot Monster, Little Bunny Foo-Foo can no longer bop the field mice on the head and Baa-Baa Black Sheep is now a thing of the past. :rolleyes:
Ah but here in this present...

Baa Baa black sheep have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.
One for my master, one for my dame...
And one for the little boy who cries in the lane!

Reactions: Rita and April_Rose

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Reactions: Rita and April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the question is....

"Do you like green eggs and ham?"

"I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I am." -Dr. Seuss

I like regular eggs and ham though. :D

Reactions: Josho

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or are they just being a bunch of snowflakes again? What's your opinion? Since I haven't read any of the books in question I can't really be the one to judge. :/

Why Fox News is having a day-long meltdown over Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss: 6 books won't be published anymore because they portray people in 'hurtful and wrong' ways - CNN

America and the rest of the world are facing such real and tangible problems. Why some people try to make a problem out of these things is frankly beyond me. It seems almost insulting to the many real struggles people are facing right now. Some Texans are still without adequate water, shelter and electricity, and some people are arguing over children's books? o_O

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose these days "green eggs and ham" could mean environmentally friendly "recycled" vegan eggs and ham. :D
Eating recycled food...

Yeah...that was all they had to offer in the cafeteria for lunch when I was in school. :D

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eating recycled food...

Yeah...that was all they had to offer in the cafeteria for lunch when I was in school. :D

I read this wrong,.. I thought you were talking about eating green eggs and ham in school and I'm like which school did you go to? Whoville Elementary? :p

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a small child, starving for a place to go fishing, my favorite Suess book was McElligot's Pool.

I even dug a pond years ago, and styled it somewhat like the pool, small but deep.

This from the article:

"Two specific examples, according to the study, are found in the books "The Cat's Quizzer: Are YOU Smarter Than the Cat in the Hat?" and "If I Ran the Zoo."
"In ("The Cat's Quizzer"), the Japanese character is referred to as 'a Japanese,' has a bright yellow face, and is standing on what appears to be Mt. Fuji," the authors wrote."

What's the problem there? Imagine that, a Japanese being referred to as a Japanese in a book....Im utterly shocked. What is wrong with those people, they need to sensor their own oddball ideas.

Get your copies while you can, if you even still can.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe they had a problem with how the Japanese guy looked I don't know. :/

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rita, hope your doing well... You being from the UK I am reminded of one of my old favourite childhood shows, Thomas the tank engine...
I was horrified when I heard what they did to the fat controller... They gave him a name like Sir So and So cos its apparently offensive to say that someone is fat... Rubbish

Some other painful examples are Sleeping Beauty and Snow White being canceled cos the girls didn't consent to being kissed by the prince, they were sexually harassed according to them...

And what on earth happened to Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck... Their friends now and have girlfriends...
There is nothing funny about any of it anymore... I was told that they changed it cos it was too violent... Geez

I wondered then what they had done to my beloved road runner cartoon show...
It took me a year to finally look into that and to my surprise, the roadrunner is exactly the same.
Coyote failing to catch the roadrunner again and again and again...

If we accept people disappearing from social media or the movies or TV then how long until people start accepting the incarceration of such???
Hi Cristo,
Yes I am doing ok thank you x
Hope you are ok
I didn’t know about the fat controller, my children grew up on Thomas the tank engine. I mean the truth was ‘ he was fat !!!!! ‘
To be honest they are messing about with peoples memories.
I just spoke to my son and I understand that DrSeusse didn’t like the Japanese during war time, blimey I didn’t like the Japanese from back then, they were awful. I didn’t like the Germans either, but because of what they stood for and what they did. It doesn’t mean I am racist , it just means I didn’t like their actions. I have no issues with Germans or the Japanese now.
I am a bit out of touch with cartoons and how many of them have changed. This has to be the most offended generation going, I dread to think how they would deal with real problems !!!
Rita

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I suppose these days "green eggs and ham" could mean environmentally friendly "recycled" vegan eggs and ham. :D

Well if you put them on the stove hot plate and forget to take them off such that they have been cooked for too loooong, the yoke will have begun to turned green when you cut the hard boiled egg in two. :mad:

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol you guys aren't going to believe this. Not only is Dr. Seuss supposedly racist,.. but a book of his is supposedly cursed. :p