Is faith apart of works?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you have fallen for another gospel and can’t stand sound doctrine as St. Paul warned about

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good should be easy to show from the Bible alone? Anything? How you are saved, past tense? Show me that Mary is not the mother of God is not a perpetual Virgin?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Faith is part of works!

Works is defined as something we choose to do, volition!

Faith is also works because you have to choose to believe! Jn 1:12 Jn 3:16 rom 10:9

And continue to believe, a perpetual state of believing. Matt 24:13 Jn 15:1-5
no you are putting the cart before the horse.

good works is the result of genuine faith as per

Ephesians 2:8-10.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

hope this helps !!!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 6:3
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither John 3:5 nor Titus 3:5 teach the false doctrine of baptismal regeneration. In regards to the word "water" in John 3:5, Jesus mentions "living water" in John 4:10, 14; 7:37-39 and in John 7:38-39, we read - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing. If "water" is defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If this sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again. *So to automatically read "baptism" into John 3:5 simply because it mentions "water" is unwarranted. Plain ordinary H20 has no power to wash away sins.

The word "water" is also used in the Bible as an emblem of the Word of God, and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life and we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4). The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the Word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23) and the Holy Spirit accomplishes the washing of regeneration. (Titus 3:5)
Winner winner chicken dinner :)

Reactions: mailmandan

Spurgeon's Girl

Sep 18, 2020
CHANDLER
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is any different from choosing to pray? Or choosing to fast or hive alms?
Or choosing to practice virtue? The only reason these things have merit before God is because we are united to Christ thru grace? Why would choosing to believe be different?

Salvation is the complete work of God. There is no verse in the entire Bible that says people have free will unto salvation.

Spurgeon's Girl

Sep 18, 2020
CHANDLER
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not going to view the Bible thru Protestant colored glasses, until luther no one ever taught salvation by faith alone! The church is built on Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Matt 16:18 eph 2:20 luther was not an apostle

Good points. It shows how deeply wrong your church was before Luther. The church is not built on Peter. That's Catholic spin.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Faith is also works because you have to choose to believe! Jn 1:12 Jn 3:16 rom 10:9

There are different kinds of works. There are works of the Law and works of faith. It depends on what motivates our actions. Actions motivated by faith in God are led by the Holy Spirit, not our adherence to the Law.

PGS11

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The argument about if good deeds get you in heaven or not is mote clearly Jesus tells us it does in the parable of the goats and the sheep and the talents. James also says faith with out works is dead and he is right. Almost all Christians agree that your life should reflect your faith . That said it was never the argument!!!
The true argument is Faith alone or as the Catholic view of Faith and the sacraments bring salvation. The Protestant church at the time called them works and that is were the argument began. Some people nit pick and make it about good deeds but it was never about that Since Luther a lot of protestant churches have added sacraments Baptism is a standard in almost all - communion is practiced at Protestant churches but not considered a sacrament - at least not yet or maybe never will. So what are the sacraments that ever one was calling works that Catholics say bring salvation - Thats what is meant when one says the Catholic Church teaches the Gospel of works nothing else -the sacraments.So what are they?
Baptism
Eucharist
Confirmation
Reconciliation
Anointing of the Sick
Marriage
Ordination

Confirmation for those who don't know is the second part of Baptism for a Catholic when they reach the age of understanding they reaffirm their baptism.
Remember also faith is a requirement you have to believe in Jesus as your Lord and Savior or why would you bother going.
Doesn't look like evil stuff to me or anything God is going to condemn to hell for.

Last edited:

PGS11

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Most Catholics will only receive six of the sacraments
Ordination is for the holy life
Most Churches have an ordination process in the Catholic Church its considered a sacrament

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus said, "My Father is always working" when He was here. Long ago, I entered my Father's rest. I ceased from my works(to me they are like filthy rags) and entered His rest. Today I am still resting , and yet My Father is always working, in me, and through me. Give God the Glory! This was His design, even before the foundation of the world.

Reactions: Taken and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is any different from choosing to pray? Or choosing to fast or hive alms?
Or choosing to practice virtue? The only reason these things have merit before God is because we are united to Christ thru grace? Why would choosing to believe be different?

Maybe because He has given each of us "a measure of faith"?

"For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."
Romans 12:3

Faith grows, like a muscle! We need to exercise it and use this awesome gift from our Creator, so as to do His commands on this earth. Faith to believe for our needs and since we are blessed with "all spiritual blessings" , should we not build on the faith He gave us fully through His grace? "Works" are simply a result of our faith and new life in Christ. He causes us to (if we submit all to Him) desire to bless others! :) Couldn't have told me that some years back but oh, how He changes us!
Amen and God Bless,
nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said, "My Father is always working" when He was here. Long ago, I entered my Father's rest. I ceased from my works(to me they are like filthy rags) and entered His rest. Today I am still resting , and yet My Father is always working, in me, and through me. Give God the Glory! This was His design, even before the foundation of the world.
upload_2020-12-4_16-43-44.jpeg

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would say...

Faith is a gift from God, increased Expressly via hearing, reading the Word of God.

Works is what you do, labor, clean, till, paint a house, train animals....Exert Effort...work.

Every Works you DO that Glorifies God..."AND" you accredit God..."AND" take no payment, get no trophy, sticker, Etc...

God shall "Reward" you. "Called" stored Treasures in Heaven.

If YOU aid another, mention what you do is For God, take no reward....that is a Works that Glorifies God.

Every Converted man, who does whatever works..."that do not Glorify God"...shall be burned.

Every Works an unconverted man does, shall be burned.

Works do not Save you.
Works simple allow a Saved man to Glorify God before others.

It's a concept. Aiding an other without reward, to Glorify God...is intriguing...
People get intrigued...especially in these days...who does something "for nothing" in return? It's a reveal of strong faith...and some people who don't have Faith...want it, but it so foreign to them...maybe they will seek how to get what you have...faith.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken Ephesians 2.8...

Yes, Faith is a Gift from God.
Yes, Gods Gift of Faith is given to those who "HEAR" His WORD.

My point was... Gods Gift of Faith is Given...
To those WHO "Hear/ Receive His Word." period.

Roman 10:
[17] So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I include READ, with HEAR....in consideration of Physically Deaf....personal experience.

Glory To God,
Taken

Reactions: farouk