Is interracial marriage acceptable scripturally?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. Joseph

Apr 30, 2023
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know Moses married an Ethiopian,but that was before the law was given. If memory serves.
I can not say it is wrong,or a sin. Just going by old testament ordinances and laws.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know Moses married an Ethiopian,but that was before the law was given. If memory serves.
I can not say it is wrong,or a sin. Just going by old testament ordinances and laws.
If I loved a white woman I would certainly consider marrying her.

St. Joseph

Apr 30, 2023
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I loved a white woman I would certainly consider marrying her.
I realize there will be no martiages in heaven. And the new testament doesnt speak of it one way or another. So most probably it was just to keep the blood line leading up to Christ pure. Thats how i see it anyway. It wouldnt do for him to be half Philistine.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This question only ever seems to arise in certain cultures - I can't imagine it being asked in the UK. Interracial marriage here is completely normal.
The reason why Israelites were forbidden to marry 'outside' was religious, not racial (because each nation had its own national god). Converts (such as Rahab and Ruth) were always accepted in.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the main thing for Christians is this.

2 Corinthians 6
14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue of marrying outside of the Human Race may come up when we develop interstellar travel. It seemed to work out between Spock's parents in the original Star Trek series.

Due to the technical difficulties with interstellar travel, marriage with an Artificial Intelligence in human form will probably come up much sooner. Perhaps in the next couple of decades.

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses married Zipporah, a Cushite woman the Eldest daughter of Jethro a priest in Midian. Cushites come from Arabia and Persia and Midian which is modern day Jordan. The book of Isaiah also speaks of the great Cushite leader Nimrod who was from Mesopotamia. The Cushites had a large population that had crosses the Red Sea to settle south of Egypt. Their descendants are still there.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I know Moses married an Ethiopian, but that was before the law was given. If memory serves.
I can not say it is wrong, or a sin. Just going by Old Testament ordinances and laws.

It is my understanding that Jethro was a descendant of Abraham's second family, and as such Moses married a Midianite, and not a Ethiopian as you are suggesting.

• Wow
Reactions: MatthewG

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Biblical marriage is a covenant between God and man and wife... and a spiritual union (they become one flesh) in which both husband and wife are believers/Christians. And it is a calling from God; God does not call a believing man to be the husband of an unbelieving woman, nor vice versa. However, such a marriage may take place, and God can certainly and often does work through that marriage, eventually calling the unbelieving spouse unto Himself, making him or her a believer, and that's a wonderful thing. I also should say that there's absolutely no justification or admonition for Christians to divorce their spouse solely on the basis that he or she is not a Christian, and in fact quite the opposite; if the unbelieving spouse wants to remain married, the believing spouse is admonished to do so. God, through Paul, is very clear about all these things especially in Ephesians 5 and 1 Corinthians 7 (verse 12, specifically).

This is a larger statement than just concerning marriage, but includes marriage: In God's economy, it was never about ethnicity; He made us all. It was only ever about who was/were His people, those whom He called, justified, and eventually glorified, and that includes not just Jews but Gentiles also, people of every tongue, tribe, and nation. Believers, regardless of ethnicity, are all one in Christ Jesus, and as such make up God's Israel.

Grace and peace to all.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Why where the Jews forbidden to marry outside of Israel?

They were a chose race, selected to be an example to the world of how good God is and how beneficial his laws are.
They were also the preservers of his word and of the line of David, out of whom Jesus would be born.
Since Jesus , there is no Greek or roman, slave of free, barbarian etc we are all of one race the human race.

Reactions: St. Joseph

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 147
19 He declares His word to Jacob, His statutes and His judgments to Israel. 20 He has not dealt thus with any nation; And as for His judgments, they have not known them. Praise the LORD!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly feel like segregation is wrong. We have marriages that are interracial in my family and there is nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Jack