Is it a sin to play video games?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, not generally speaking. It depends on the game and the gamer. James 4:

17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.
If it bothers your conscience, then it is a sin.

I feel my time is better spent focusing on schoolwork (in college) and being in the Word in my free time.
Good thinking :)

Is it really a good idea to constantly be in the Word without anything else?

It is good to have some entertainment as well. Have self-control. Balance your time. No need to be extreme.

Reactions: Nancy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, not generally speaking. It depends on the game and the gamer. James 4:

If it bothers your conscience, then it is a sin.

Good thinking :)

Is it really a good idea to constantly be in the Word without anything else?

It is good to have some entertainment as well. Have self-control. Balance your time. No need to be extreme.
No, it is not a sin to play video games, unless the video game persuades you to sin.

Ashevenny

Jan 24, 2024
USA, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate your thoughtful perspective on the topic of playing video games in relation to faith. It's true that whether gaming is considered a sin can vary from person to person, depending on factors like the game itself and individual conscience.
Balancing our time among various activities, including focusing on schoolwork and spending time in faith, is crucial. It's like using a coin flip simulator to find that perfect balance between different aspects of life. Striking that equilibrium allows us to lead well-rounded lives.
Your advice on practicing self-control and avoiding extremes is spot on. It's all about finding that sweet spot where we can enjoy entertainment while also fulfilling our responsibilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyChanYT

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always suspected Pacman was conditioning our youth to gluttony.

2tbr64.jpg

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then the question becomes, are these shoot-em-up video games conditioning us to not have empathy for others? To see the world as populated by enemies to be killed?

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
On the one hand "we ought to live by imagination, and not die for glory"

On the other hand, I wouldn't play them every day.

Adri65

Nov 17, 2023
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In many cases, video games themselves are not inherently sinful, but certain aspects of gaming or the excessive consumption of them could potentially lead to behaviors or attitudes that some religious teachings may consider sinful.

Reactions: TonyChanYT