Is it even Biblical to Pray for a Person’s Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IceAndFire1328

Mar 17, 2013
I would like to start a new thread based on this article. The original can be found at:

http://biblehelp.org/prayperson.htm
(Use by permission of author)

Is it even Biblical to Pray for a Person’s Salvation?

It is not uncommon for a Christian to ask other Christians to pray for the salvation
of someone they are concerned about.
Although this concern for the person’s eternal destiny is commendable,
is it Biblical; will God answer these prayers?

If you were to survey Christians with this question, you would get a large variety of
answers ranging from “Yes, of course.
God desires that we intervene on the behalf of others,” all the way to,
“Definitely no; what ARROGANCE!!!!”

After doing a great deal of research on this subject, I’ve come to the conclusion
that there are two main reasons why people feel we should not pray for someone
else’s salvation. They are:
  1. We
    don’t have the right to make that type of decision for someone else
  1. God
    has never instructed us to pray for the salvation of others

[NOTE: I did not include the rest of the article because of its length. The author continues on and addresses the two points listed above. Please go to http://biblehelp.org/prayperson.htm to see the rest of the article.]

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
Land of the Long White Cloud
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Since God is the one who saves, it makes no difference whether one prays for the unsaved or not...but it does not do anyone harm either. ^_^

BB

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Think about this:
If all we had to do was pray to God to save all who reject His Word, then why didn't God just take their freewill in the first place and Make them love and obey Him?
Why did God give us commission to take the Good News to the poor being without God in this life if all we have to do is ask Him to save them?
Didn't God already do enough to try and reach men? He gave His only Begotten Son a gift.. all they need to do is repent of their ungodly life and hold out their hand to reach up their Father and come home. But they won't because they don't want God's Word in their life because they like their evil deeds to much.... yet they lack the wisdom to see that their miseries in life are due to their hanging on to their own words to do things their way instead of clinging to God's Word to desire to be pleasing to the One who is the maker of everything in life, who can make your life heavenly, easy, peaceful.
Why didn't Jesus take the opportunity to pray for the world to be saved while he was on earth?
God does not want to hear from others about OUR desire for them to come to salvation, He wants to hear from the individual's desire to seek a new way of life. We can not ever, ever speak for another man's heart and God will not take a soul who comes to Him for anything other than the desire to seek Him and His Word for their life.
Take a look at Psalms, David only seeks his own closeness with God not others, for when we say "God, so and so needs help they got some serious issues in their life" Then God says "Why don't we just take a good look at you and see in what areas we can work on in you and let so and so come to me when they are ready to seek my personal guidiance?" We can save NO ONE else, we are only able to lead them TO God, but not intercede for their salvation.

Now, when a brother(believer) asks us to pray for them that is fine for they already are in covenant with God and we are all one in Christ and we need to keep the body healthy, pure, obeying the Voice of God so this is acceptable.
But one who has not confessed Christ as Lord.. has their own god they follow. We do have the authority to cast out the unclean spirit in men in Jesus' name so that they can have full control of their minds to make a clear choice for God, and try to persuede them with reasoning from the scriptures with kindness(meaning not force), but never physical needs to buy them for we know very well that you can not buy love, they will pretend just to receive the free things.
John 17:6-9
6 I have manifested thy name{The Word was manifested in the flesh} unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
KJV
Acts 8:20-25
20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.
24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.

Notice that Simon asked for them to pray for his heart condition so to cancel the curse they spoke over him, but in v25 below we see that they did not, they just finished up their testifiying and preaching the Word and left, because Simon needs to be the one to ask God for forgiveness and a renewed heart. You will also notice that Simon only knew Him as God because God is Sovereign over all men rather they know Him or not, yet only those who can obey His Word by the Spirit can call Him Lord.

25 And they, when they had testified and preached the word of the Lord, returned to Jerusalem, and preached the gospel in many villages of the Samaritans.
KJV

thekingdomisathand

Mar 27, 2013
We know that God does not change so to answer the question you must add one thing to another to gain the scheme of it. Take from the beginning, middle, and the end and see what is wise and have that to be your proven answer.

Let's begin.

Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out
of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the
nations"

Psalms 139 14-16
" I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them."

Luke 10:19-20
"And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. 18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Psalms 69:28
"Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the
righteous."

Mark 10:35-40
"And James and John, the sons of Zebedee, come unto him, saying, Master, we would that thou shouldest do for us whatsoever we shall desire. And he said unto them, What would ye that I should do for you? They said unto him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory. But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? And they said unto him, We can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be baptized: But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared."

Matthew 20:20-23
Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him. And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom. But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able. And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

Exodus 32:33
"And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot
out of my book."

Revelation 3:5
"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not
blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my
Father, and before his angels."

Now, see that you have the answer to two questions instead of one. First, understand that before any of us were born the Lord created us to be who we are and will be. Some He predestined to become like His son and others he predestined to become like Satan and his ilk. The names of the saints who have and will have salvation are written in a book before any of them were born. Thus the ledger is full and there are no empty spaces. So, look at what Christ said to the two and their mother "but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father." So, those things that are already given in heaven shall not be taken and given to someone else. So, if the ledger is already filled with the names of those who shall be saved then it is vain to pray to God to save someone unto eternal salvation.

You are wasting your time and His time. Even if you begged Him He would not give salvation to those who He has not made for honor. So, no it is not scriptural to pray for salvation nor have you been commanded to do so. It is a wicked Father who gives his son's inheritance to a stranger and we know that God is righteous and never wicked.

The second question answered is the common one "Are we able to fall out of grace or to lose salvation". Here is the answer, all that God says is wise and therefore it is always true. You may also take the opposite of what He says and that is also always true. So, when God says:

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not
blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my
Father, and before his angels"

then you may say to yourself "He that DOES NOT overcometh, the same shall NOT be clothed in white rainment; and I WILL blot out his name out of the book of life, and I will NOT confess his name before my Father, and before His angels".

So, listen closely. Well was it said "For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. 7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: 8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned."

So, it is possible for those who have received Christ and the Spirit to fall from grace unto eternal death. Ye, there is no condemnation IN Christ, but if you act outside of Christ which is rebellion, then you will be condemned to the same fate as the heathens for you shall have become as a heathen and God will blot out your name from the same book He wrote it in before you were born. Leaving not empty space where your name once was, but a mark so that none remember you.

I do hope this answers your question. There is lots more that has been said within scripture to prove both points, but I think this is sufficient.
You can also test both things.
You can try to make God do something He doesn't want to and see how that turns out.
You can forsake God and see how that turns out.
I recommend neither, but I recommend obedience and the forsaking of man's tradition because praying for salvation is now a common thing.

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
We could ask another question: Is it even biblical to pray for anything? After all, God knows what we need, and we should trust that He'll provide what's good and withhold what is bad from us (Matthew 6:31-33).

And yet, God wants us to expresses our needs and desires to Him, and He delights to grant our requests when they are in His will. I believe this is true not only with life's necessities, but also in our intercession for others.

Jesus promised that those who abide in Him would have whatever they ask for come to pass for them (John 15:7). He didn't add a disclaimer "...except for the salvation of others". When you pray for someone's salvation, it may very well be God leading you to do so.

George Mueller prayed for five of his friends to be saved, and eventually all of them were. I have also seen people saved whom I've prayed for. If God answers these prayers, it is not against His will for us to pray for the salvation of others.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
We may pray that another turns to The LORD, yes. There's so many Biblical Scripture cases for it that anyone that has read their Bible should easily realize it.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IceAndFire1328, on 21 Mar 2013 - 11:23, said: Is it even Biblical to
Pray for a Person's Salvation?

Personally I would recommend that people pray for their own salvation first
before they even think about praying for others. Let me ask you: Are you
110% confident that you will not go to hell when you cross over to the other
side?

The reason I ask is because the hope that Paul wrote about at Eph 1:18 &
4:4, and about which Peter wrote about at 1Pet 3:15, is not a wishing hope,
but a know-so hope. In other words; salvation's hope enables people to
anticipate heaven rather than crossing their fingers. If you are one of the
finger-crossers; don't even bother praying for the salvation of others until
you know for sure where you your own self is headed first because it just
might be you that's standing in the need of prayer instead of somebody else.

Buen Camino
/

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul prayed for the salvation of the Jews.
Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved.
(Romans 10:1 ESV)

May 14, 2013
Technically when you say " bless you" to a person, you are actually saying "may you find the light of god.". That's what that word means and there is nothing wrong about praying for someone to find God.

Niki

May 28, 2013
I have never heard, read or had presented to me that it is wrong to pray for another's salvation. I'm scratching my head on this one (and not just because a black fly bit me when I was
gardening earlier)

I'm like "Whaaaaa?"

I definitely believe it is biblical to pray for salvation for those who do not know Jesus.

I see where someone presented a case for predestination (post 6).....well, it doesn't quite work like that IMO.

Anyway, we read in the Bible, especially in the OT, where God changed His mind...ie repented of something (not in the sense we do)

Of course we can pray for people's salvation....how do you (anyone) know whether or not someone prayed for you?

I don't believe predestination means that God deliberately created fodder for the fire...how does one reconcile that God is not willing that ANY should perish? You can't cherry
pick verses and make a doctrine. You have to reconcile what one part of scriptures says in regards to another...

Interesting topic for sure