Is it ever ok to lie?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it ever ok to lie?

• Total voters

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people think so.
The Brit TV "historian" Dan Snow said he told his two young daughters that there were British female combat pilots in WW2, which of course is a lie.
He rightly drew lots of flak from people who said "How can we ever believe anything he says ever again?"
His lame excuse for lying to his daughters was to make them believe women can be anything they want to be.

View attachment 23596
This works both ways doesn't it? What will the daughters think once they find out the truth?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some people think so.
The Brit TV "historian" Dan Snow said he told his two young daughters that there were British female combat pilots in WW2, which of course is a lie.
He rightly drew lots of flak from people who said "How can we ever believe anything he says ever again?"
His lame excuse for lying to his daughters was to make them believe women can be anything they want to be.

View attachment 23596

Actually, there were women pilots that became involved unintentionally in aerial battles with the German air force when their plane delivery flights of new aircraft to airfields coincided with a German aerial attack on the airfield that the women delivery pilots were going to with the new planes that they were flying. If the women unintentionally became involved in an aerial combat they in those instances did become female combat pilots in WW2. Whether the panes they were flying were armed or not is immaterial.

Their role was not necessarily a front line like the male combat pilots, but their supporting role of delivering new aircraft planes was just as important as the roles of the combat pilots were in defending Brittan at that time.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think our first instinct is that it's never ok to lie but if you go through the thread you will find examples where maybe it's not so bad to lie...

Yes I suppose most of us reluctantly fib from time to time so as not to hurt people's feelings, but some people overdo it and lie nearly all the time for no reason because they get a twisted kick out of it, we've all met the type.
Atheists are probably the biggest liars in town, for example two self-confessed atheists are the broadcaster Dan Snow who I mentioned a couple of posts ago, and David Attenborough who filmed baby polar bears in a zoo and tried to pass them off as being in the wild-

Attenb-bears.jpg

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Some people think so.

View attachment 23596

This works both ways doesn't it? What will the daughters think once they find out the truth?

Yes Snow admitted that he'll "cross that bridge when I come to it"..:)

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, there were women pilots that became involved unintentionally in aerial battles with the German air force when their plane delivery flights of new aircraft to airfields coincided with a German aerial attack on the airfield that the women delivery pilots were going to with the new planes that they were flying. If the women unintentionally became involved in an aerial combat they in those instances did become female combat pilots in WW2. Whether the panes they were flying were armed or not is immaterial.
Their role was not necessarily a front line like the male combat pilots, but their supporting role of delivering new aircraft planes was just as important as the roles of the combat pilots were in defending Brittan at that time.

Yes, the Air Transport Auxiliary had women pilots to ferry aircraft from airfield to airfield, but Snow wrongly implied they were "combat" pilots in combat squadrons.
ATA pilots 1942-
ATA-pilots-1942.jpg

ATA pilot Mary Guthrie
Spitfire-Mary-Guthrie-of ATA.jpg

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Santa Claus dilemma-
When toddlers ask their parents if he exists, should they tell the truth and say straight out "No", or should they fib and say "Yes"?
Luckily I never had kids so I'm spared that dilemma, but I just wonder how CB parents handle it?