Is It Okay For Christians To Be Fans Of Celebrities ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
By fan, what type of fan are you talking about? A normal fan who follows what they do, goes to concerts, collects their music, or a crazy fan who mimics them completely?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not have a TV and rarely go to movies so I am mercifully celebrity free most of the time; when I do watch or listen to them I do so to enjoy the product of their talent.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Definition of fan: A person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art or entertainment form, or famous person.
That is not necessarily worship. In excess it can become worship, but being a fan doesn't mean you are committing idolatry. Elisha was a fan of Elijah, so was Joshua of Moses.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Definition of fan: A person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art or entertainment form, or fa, I'mmous person.
That is not necessarily worship. In excess it can become worship, but being a fan doesn't mean you are committing idolatry. Elisha was a fan of Elijah, so was Joshua of Moses.
I loved Michael Jackson and was crushed when he died. I never worshipped him I am simply grieving him...gone too soon... I have been able to forgive Conrad Murray

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
I believe we can admire actors and actress for their talents and gifting to act...I do not personally admire people that follow Scientology or Buddhism or other religions...So my admiration is limited to a few actors...Now I really am a fan of Tebow...of the Broncos...

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I believe we can admire actors and actress for their talents and gifting to act...I do not personally admire people that follow Scientology or Buddhism or other religions...So my admiration is limited to a few actors...Now I really am a fan of Tebow...of the Broncos...
Thank you for your post. I was a huge fan of Michael Jackson and was crushed when he died. The pain is still so severe that I never want to be too attached to any celebrity again.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Definition of fan: A person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art or entertainment form, or famous person.

I'm a fan of alot of people. Taylor Swift, Andrew Johns, Kurt Gidley, Lance Armstrong, to name a few. Even the apostle Paul encouraged people to follow him when he said, "1Co 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ."
The key is to make sure that whoever you are a fan of doesn't influence you away from Jesus. Nothing or no one should ever be greater in your life than Jesus. If it does, then it immediately becomes sin.

InquisitiveAgnostic

Nov 30, 2012
Ontario Canada
obsesive fandom is a dangerous thing when just applying it to the realms of human psychology.

Other than that, I can't see a secular reson as to why admiring a person for their talent would be harmful. Especially if they work in your chosen field.

After all, it's admiration that ultimately drives mankind to further their knowledge and skill.

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
Actually its a Good topic..! Most of the christians are attracted by the celebrities, particularly by actors and actresses or some fashion ladies / men, pop singers.. Etc..! But what Bible clearly says about it??

Can we follow these worldly people? Who has no way related to holiness?? Bible stands opposite to that. We should be like a boat in an ocean. If water comes in, our life is gone..! That's what Bible says in the words of John.

We have to be away from whichever is unnecessary for Christian life..! Apply if Jesus is there, what He must have done.. How he must have lived..! Apply that in your life..! You will be blessed and heaven will be yours.

Thanks

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is much worse to be a fan of God. Unfortunately, many Christians choose to be fans of God rather than followers - this behavior is often seen in politics, clothing and Christian jargon. Defending Israel for any reason, etc

Axehead

May 9, 2012
aspen2 said:
The new reality Jesus proclaimed was nonviolent. That much is clear, not just from the Sermon on the Mount, but his entire life and teaching and, above all, the way he faced his death. His was not merely a tactical or pragmatic nonviolence seized upon because nothing else would have worked against the Roman empire's near monopoly on violence. Rather, he saw nonviolence as a direct corollary of the nature of God and of the new reality emerging in the world from God. In a verse quoted more than any other from the New Testament during the church's first four centuries, Jesus taught that God loves everyone, and values all, even those who make themselves God's enemies. We are therefore to do likewise (Matt. 5:45; cf. Luke 6:35). The Reign of God, the peaceable Kingdom, is (despite the monarchical terms) an order in which the inequity, violence, and male supremacy characteristic of dominator societies are superseded. Thus nonviolence is not just a means to the Kingdom of God; it is a quality of the Kingdom itself. - Walter Wink
The new reality Jesus proclaimed was HIMSELF.

Jesus came to set men free from sin, not Rome.

God does not change. He has no new reality or new corollary. He still uses Satan as His servant to do violent things. God ordered the killing of men, women and children in the OT. He is still involved in the affairs of men and it's not all pretty from a pacifist, beatnik point of view.

Yes, we are to love our enemies. Jesus forgave us our sins and we should do the same for all men.

The means to the Kingdom of God is Jesus Christ. Non-violent men who reject Christ, reject life eternal.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Some would call it idolatry...what are your thoughts about it ?
I guess that a Christian could become so infatuated with a celebrity/celebrities that they put them in a place where God should be in their heart? Idolatry IMO, is anything raised up in your heart, which one worships, other than God.

BB

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Would say it depends upon our actions and intentions. some people have more pictures and music of justin beaver then they have of God. people are willing to get all crazy at these justin beaver concerts but at church they have difficulty raising their hands to praise God. people are willing to dress and act like justin beaver but when it comes to God we make excuses. people put justin beaver before God. i am not putting justin beaver down but i am showing how a celebrity can be lifted up even more then God.

when we know where God is supposed to be within our lives and actually make it a reality then everything else takes a back seat to God. but many times people get caught up within the world because they were either not taught properly or did not know any better.

This is a sensitive subject and we need to be careful not to lay blame.

God bless

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Axehead said:
The new reality Jesus proclaimed was HIMSELF.

Jesus came to set men free from sin, not Rome.

God does not change. He has no new reality or new corollary. He still uses Satan as His servant to do violent things. God ordered the killing of men, women and children in the OT. He is still involved in the affairs of men and it's not all pretty from a pacifist, beatnik point of view.

Yes, we are to love our enemies. Jesus forgave us our sins and we should do the same for all men.

The means to the Kingdom of God is Jesus Christ. Non-violent men who reject Christ, reject life eternal.
I see. So God commands us to love our enemies, while choosing to kill and torture His?

A god that is less moral than His creation is unworthy of worship.

The reality of the Nature of the God Christians are called to worship is Good. He manifested Himself in the best manner possible through the Old Testament and the New Testament and in the personage of the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The OT and NT is a record of His Goodness and humanities misunderstanding of His Goodness. We are the ones who gave Him all the credit for Nationalistic aspirations and the death of so many people. The OT Testament peoples valued Sovereignty over Love. Thankfully, Jesus was able to clarify who God is - Abba - Love - Good. Now the Holy Spirit guides us in spreading that message to others. This is true Christianity.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
HollyRock said:
Some would call it idolatry...what are your thoughts about it ?
Idolatry means worshipping persons or things by putting them first before God. I don't think that being a fan of a celebrity is idolatry especially if some of those celebrities are looked at as good role models. I think that most people worship money rather than celebrities. After all, most of us look more and depend on our savings accounts when times gets tough.