Is it possible not to sin anymore?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God does not change, but the gift of God’s holy spirit that believers have today is different from the spirit that God gave in the Old Testament, and so the gift of God’s spirit has changed.

Hello Peter,

The Holy Spirit is God! and thus the same yesterday, today and forever..

Pax et Bonum

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Peter,

The Holy Spirit is God! and thus the same yesterday, today and forever..

Pax et Bonum
The simple and straightforward reading of the Scripture is that there is one God, who is sometimes referred to as “the Holy Spirit” and one Lord who is the man Jesus Christ, and one gift of the holy spirit that is the nature of God that He gives to people.

Reactions: Philip James

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The simple and straightforward reading of the Scripture is that there is one God, who is sometimes referred to as “the Holy Spirit” and one Lord who is the man Jesus Christ, and one gift of the holy spirit that is the nature of God that He gives to people.

Indeed! One God. One Lord, One Father of all..

The Father and I are one.

Pax et Bonum

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you sin?

I know I still do. It may not be as much as a few years ago, but I still do and repent when I do so.

I don't think we will ever be free of sin until resurrected and given our new bodies by Christ.

Good example is this morning. I cursed at myself because I got frustrated with myself not understanding the training I am getting with a new job.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you sin?

The Bible says no I can't sin...

1 John 3 & 5
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not.

• Love
Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible says no I can't sin...

1 John 3 & 5
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not.
Don't forget verse 4!!! It is the context - the type of sin this chapter is about!!! They are sins unto death - breaking a commandment of God like murder, etc. Most people who laugh at sinlessness, accusing us of teaching sinless perfection which is not taught, are probably free of mortal sins unto death themselves, but are ignorant due to their ignorant teachers. Even though we may not be perfect yet in EVERY fruit of the Spirit, we are still called CLEAN by Jesus. John 15:1-4. So start telling yourself the truth found in God's word and teach it.

John 15:1-4
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He [a]takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

cc: @TonyChanYT
@Naomanos

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't forget verse 4!!! It is the context - the type of sin this chapter is about!!! They are sins unto death - breaking a commandment of God like murder, etc. Most people who laugh at sinlessness, accusing us of teaching sinless perfection which is not taught, are probably free of mortal sins unto death themselves, but are ignorant due to their ignorant teachers. Even though we may not be perfect yet in EVERY fruit of the Spirit, we are still called CLEAN by Jesus. John 15:1-4. So start telling yourself the truth found in God's word and teach it.

“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He [a]takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

@Naomanos

I will agree to disagree with you.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:

1 Corinthians 10:

Theoretically, it is possible to live a sinless life. In practice, Romans 7:

By the grace of God, when we fail, we confess and repent. God will forgive. We can only take it one day at a time. Hopefully, our spiritual condition next year will be better this year.

1 John 3:

We are encouraged in Genesis 5:

How many days did God divide the light from the darkness before He was finished and entered into His rest?

How many are the days of mankind where the evening and the morning are the same dividing of light from the darkness, before entering the rest of God?

Everyday of mankind follows that same pattern.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

@Naomanos
Verse 4 is not talking about us. Verse 6 is. Whosoever is in him. In him is in verse 6. Not 4.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A belief system called Gnosticism was taking root in Christianity at the time the book of John was being written that taught there was a supreme and unknowable Being, which they designated as the "Monad." The Monad produced various gods, who in turn produced other gods, and one of these gods called the "Demiurge" created the earth and then ruled over it as an angry, evil and jealous god. Gnostics believe this evil god was the god of the Old Testament who is called "Elohim" and so the Monad had to send another god known as the "Christ" to bring special knowledge to mankind and free them from the influence of the evil Elohim. And this is why the gnostics do not seek salvation from repenting of their sin (but rather from the ignorance of which sin is a consequence) that they believe the evil creator God and his angels caused. They emphasize salvation of select humans from bodily existence through their awakening to the knowledge of their original divine identity. I believe the Apostle John had them on his mind when he wrote the Epistle of 1 John saying you must realize you have sin and repent. John was not talking to the already saved Christian as the Catholics would like you to believe.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

@Naomanos
Do you sin?

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A belief system called Gnosticism was taking root in Christianity at the time the book of John was being written that taught there was a supreme and unknowable Being, which they designated as the "Monad." The Monad produced various gods, who in turn produced other gods, and one of these gods called the "Demiurge" created the earth and then ruled over it as an angry, evil and jealous god. Gnostics believe this evil god was the god of the Old Testament who is called "Elohim" and so the Monad had to send another god known as the "Christ" to bring special knowledge to mankind and free them from the influence of the evil Elohim. And this is why the gnostics do not seek salvation from repenting of their sin (but rather from the ignorance of which sin is a consequence) that they believe the evil creator God and his angels caused. They emphasize salvation of select humans from bodily existence through their awakening to the knowledge of their original divine identity. I believe the Apostle John had them on his mind when he wrote the Epistle of 1 John saying you must realize you have sin and repent. John was not talking to the already saved Christian as the Catholics would like you to believe.
Do you sin?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Is it possible not to sin anymore?

No, not really. But it is possible to no longer live a life of sin. Before we were saved by the blood of the Lamb we were dead in our sin, we didn't recognise our sin, but now we have had our eyes opened and are in the process of being transformed by the renewing of our minds which is the work of the Holy Spirit.