Is it possible not to sin anymore?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Theoretically, it is possible to live a sinless life. In practice, Romans 7:

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
No it's NOT possible to live a sinless life here on this cursed earth! You were correct to cite Romans 7:18-19, but had you continued reading to the end of the chapter, you would have found that man's salvation are divided into two parts, i.e. In his spirit and body essence.

When a saved person die, in his spirit essence he goes to be with the Lord
2 Corinthians 5:8, whilst his body goes back to the dust to be raised on the last day.

"I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me." Romans 7:21

So Paul cries out,
"24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyChanYT

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Is it possible not to sin anymore?

No, not really. But it is possible to no longer live a life of sin. Before we were saved by the blood of the Lamb we were dead in our sin, we didn't recognise our sin, but now we have had our eyes opened and are in the process of being transformed by the renewing of our minds which is the work of the Holy Spirit.

Indeed! And by the Grace of God we are conformed day by day into the image of His Son!

And some of our brothers and sisters receive the Grace to live heroicly virtuous lives... we hold these up as the heroes of our Faith and ask them for their assistance by their prayers...

Pax et Bonum

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are two types of sin.

IV. The Gravity of Sin: Mortal and Venial Sin

1854 Sins are rightly evaluated according to their gravity. the distinction between mortal and venial sin, already evident in Scripture,129 became part of the tradition of the Church. It is corroborated by human experience.

1855 Mortal sin destroys charity in the heart of man by a grave violation of God's law; it turns man away from God, who is his ultimate end and his beatitude, by preferring an inferior good to him.
Venial sin allows charity to subsist, even though it offends and wounds it.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

Pax et Bonum

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” (Matthew 19:21)

If you have already done this, then maybe we can at least talk about being sinless.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Peter,

1 or 2 what?

Pax et Bonum
The word Father is not a thing. It's a name, a tile. I am not a son. I am a human man. My name is Peter and I'm not that either. Peter is a name. Some say I'm a cousin and others an Uncle. You cannot say I'm made of three parts because I'm a son, uncle and cousin. These are just names and tiles. When talking about God we have many names and tiles for Him. One is Father. Another is God. He is not either of those. They are names. So my question was in your mind are Father and God one being or two?

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word Father is not a thing. It's a name, a tile. I am not a son. I am a human man. My name is Peter and I'm not that either. Peter is a name. Some say I'm a cousin and others an Uncle. You cannot say I'm made of three parts because I'm a son, uncle and cousin. These are just names and tiles. When talking about God we have many names and tiles for Him. One is Father. Another is God. He is not either of those. They are names. So my question was in your mind are Father and God one being or two?

Do you believe in the Trinity?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are they?

1 John 5:16-17
16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

Numbers 15:22-29;30-36
22 ‘If you sin unintentionally, and do not observe all these commandments which the Lord has spoken to Moses— 23 all that the Lord has commanded you by the hand of Moses, from the day the Lord gave commandment and onward throughout your generations— 24 then it will be, if it is unintentionally committed, without the knowledge of the congregation, that the whole congregation shall offer one young bull as a burnt offering, as a sweet aroma to the Lord, with its grain offering and its drink offering, according to the ordinance, and one kid of the goats as a sin offering. 25 So the priest shall make atonement for the whole congregation of the children of Israel, and it shall be forgiven them, for it was unintentional; they shall bring their offering, an offering made by fire to the Lord, and their sin offering before the Lord, for their unintended sin. 26 It shall be forgiven the whole congregation of the children of Israel and the stranger who dwells among them, because all the people did it unintentionally.

27 ‘And if a person sins unintentionally, then he shall bring a female goat in its first year as a sin offering. 28 So the priest shall make atonement for the person who sins unintentionally, when he sins unintentionally before the Lord, to make atonement for him; and it shall be forgiven him. 29 You shall have one law for him who sins unintentionally, for him who is native-born among the children of Israel and for the stranger who dwells among them.

Law Concerning Presumptuous Sin​

30 ‘But the person who does anything presumptuously [willfully that you know to be wrong] whether he is native-born or a stranger, that one brings reproach on the Lord, and he shall be cut off from among his people. 31 Because he has despised the word of the Lord, and has broken His commandment, that person shall be completely cut off; his guilt shall be upon him.’ ”

32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.

35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verse 4 is not talking about us. Verse 6 is. Whosoever is in him. In him is in verse 6. Not 4.

Verse 4 is important as the context of chapter three, talking about breaking the LAWS of God (sins unto death) or "mortal" sins, because the desire to break those laws is what Jesus in verse 5 cleansed out of our nature. We now have the desire to be righteous as in verse 10, the opposite of lawlessness. But the context is not about "venial" sins.

So, chapter 3 is not talking about sins not unto death (venial sins) which are immature fruit of the Spirit. But John in John 15:1-4 still acknowledges 1 John 3:5 in calling us "CLEAN."

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you sin?

Back in 1977 having gone to church for 30 years, I was having an affair with a married man, thus committing adultery. That is a sin unto death. I tried and tried to break it off from him but kept failing. It was then that I had an epiphany about repentance. We cannot turn away from sin in our own strength. So I spoke to God and said, I can't break this relationship off, so I'm going to stop trying. You are stronger than I am, so if you want this to end, you will have to do it. Make him break it off with me, and give him the strength to stay away from me when I try to get him back. One week later my lover broke it off with me saying he realized he couldn't be there when I might need him. After 30 years of going to church, this was the first prayer I ever prayed that God answered.

Two weeks later I was born again and baptized by the Spirit. As far as the sin nature goes, I physically felt a heavy weight lift out me, and all desire to sin against God left me. So as far as lawlessness (breaking a commandment of God), yes, Jesus took away all desire to sin willfully against His commandments. That was 46 years ago that I have been sinless/righteous or "clean." John 15:1-4.

Then for the last 46 year, Jesus has been pruning the fruit of the Spirit in me. When finished that is called perfection or holy. Like Paul kept saying in his letters, he wasn't perfect yet, but by his last letter before he died, the wording says to me that he finally made it. I have faith that before I die, Jesus will finish His pruning away all the venial sins in me.

2 Timothy 4:
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IV. The Gravity of Sin: Mortal and Venial Sin

1854 Sins are rightly evaluated according to their gravity. the distinction between mortal and venial sin, already evident in Scripture,129 became part of the tradition of the Church. It is corroborated by human experience.

1855 Mortal sin destroys charity in the heart of man by a grave violation of God's law; it turns man away from God, who is his ultimate end and his beatitude, by preferring an inferior good to him.
Venial sin allows charity to subsist, even though it offends and wounds it.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

Pax et Bonum

Yes, in the Bible a mortal sin is against a commandment of God, and a venial sin is an action showing an immaturity of a fruit of the Spirit Galatians 5:22-23; 2 Peter 1:5-7.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 John 5:16-17
16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

Numbers 15:22-29;30-36
22 ‘If you sin unintentionally, and do not observe all these commandments which the Lord has spoken to Moses— 23 all that the Lord has commanded you by the hand of Moses, from the day the Lord gave commandment and onward throughout your generations— 24 then it will be, if it is unintentionally committed, without the knowledge of the congregation, that the whole congregation shall offer one young bull as a burnt offering, as a sweet aroma to the Lord, with its grain offering and its drink offering, according to the ordinance, and one kid of the goats as a sin offering. 25 So the priest shall make atonement for the whole congregation of the children of Israel, and it shall be forgiven them, for it was unintentional; they shall bring their offering, an offering made by fire to the Lord, and their sin offering before the Lord, for their unintended sin. 26 It shall be forgiven the whole congregation of the children of Israel and the stranger who dwells among them, because all the people did it unintentionally.

27 ‘And if a person sins unintentionally, then he shall bring a female goat in its first year as a sin offering. 28 So the priest shall make atonement for the person who sins unintentionally, when he sins unintentionally before the Lord, to make atonement for him; and it shall be forgiven him. 29 You shall have one law for him who sins unintentionally, for him who is native-born among the children of Israel and for the stranger who dwells among them.

Law Concerning Presumptuous Sin​

30 ‘But the person who does anything presumptuously [willfully that you know to be wrong] whether he is native-born or a stranger, that one brings reproach on the Lord, and he shall be cut off from among his people. 31 Because he has despised the word of the Lord, and has broken His commandment, that person shall be completely cut off; his guilt shall be upon him.’ ”

32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.

35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.
Do you sin according to any of these senses of sin?