Is it possible not to sin anymore?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 5:

48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
1 Corinthians 10:

13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
Theoretically, it is possible to live a sinless life. In practice, Romans 7:

18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.
By the grace of God, when we fail, we confess and repent. God will forgive. We can only take it one day at a time. Hopefully, our spiritual condition next year will be better this year.

1 John 3:

9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.
We are encouraged in Genesis 5:

24 Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course it is possible!

The Old Covenant was trying to be good in the flesh by the letter of the law and failing.

The New Covenant is supernaturally being righteous without even trying with no struggle while abiding in Jesus. True Christians have been given a new nature that has been cleansed by the Spirit of all desire to sin willfully and lawlessly. And those who laugh at sinlessness as if it is impossible have never been born again of the Spirit of Christ and do not belong to him. 1 Corinthians 2:14.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 5:

1 Corinthians 10:

By the grace of God, when we fail, we confess and repent. God will forgive. We can only take it one day at a time. Hopefully, our spiritual condition next year will be better this year.

1 John 3:

For the just man falls seven times and rises again, but the wicked stumble to ruin.

Pax et Bonum

Reactions: Pisteuo and amadeus

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:

1 Corinthians 10:

1 John 3:

What Paul talks about in the seventh chapter of Romans is what occurs to the believer who still thinks the Law applies to them. They end up spiritually dying by the commandment and realize that the commandment does not produce life. The war is with their flesh because they are still believing the Law has power over them. In the eighth chapter of Romans is where it explains how we overcome this whole issue by living in the spirit and being dead to the Law. We cannot live by faith in what Christ has done for us and still think our obedience to written laws are necessary. To do so takes away from the perfect work of Christ and places salvation and righteousness back in our own hands.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
w. We cannot live by faith in what Christ has done for us and still think our obedience to written laws are necessary.

For when the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature observe the prescriptions of the law, they are a law for themselves even though they do not have the law.

They show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts, 6 while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even defend them

on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge people's hidden works through Christ Jesus.

Pax et Bonum

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And those who laugh at sinlessness as if it is impossible have never been born again of the Spirit of Christ and do not belong to him. 1 Corinthians 2:14.
Thanks for the verse. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making. No need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point.
This is what I do for others who read my posts.

Reactions: Mr E

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making. No need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
Are you a Scholar?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is it possible not to sin anymore?​

Lack of trust in the trustworthy births all manner of rebellion/ concupiscence

Reactions: BlessedPeace

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are an interesting cat. I like you.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you obey any written laws?

The subject matter that I thought we all understood is not any written laws. But what was suited only to Israel under "The Law" that is also called the "Mosaic Law" that terminated when Jesus Christ died.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The title of this OP:

Is it possible not to sin anymore?
I have been writing for a couple of years that we cannot sin when we walk in Christ. The verse in 2 Corinthians 5:21, is talking about the "righteousness of God in him." It's the "in him" that nobody seems to be able to understand. This whole thing functions "in him." It's in Christ and therefore in the new nature that is mentioned just a few verses above this in verse 17 where it says "new creature:" It's not that we do not sin in our old man nature. It's that we do not sin in the new man that we are told to put on. The churches have destroyed this idea by teaching we put on the new man by following the teachings of Jesus as we walk in our flesh. So this is a lost art.

In the book of Colossians, we read "putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:" We did not put it off. It was the circumcision of Christ. Two verses later we read "together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;..." Again, it's "in him" or "with him." I also want to get the book of Hebrews in here where we see Christ offered himself once "for this he did once" and not like the high priest who offered up the sacrifice daily. The Lord Christ "after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;..."

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Lady,

Indeed!

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Pax et Bonum
God does not change, but the gift of God’s holy spirit that believers have today is different from the spirit that God gave in the Old Testament, and so the gift of God’s spirit has changed.