Is it true history repeats until we learn from our mistakes?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For years I've heard this life,world,is a school.

Of late at least in America it seems like our culture,society,government,is making the same mistakes that led to the rise of Nazi Germany.

I'm currently watching a rerun of the investigative news show, 48 Hours. The feature is a fugitive on the run for some 40 years. George Wright.

Part of his on the run life was as a member of the Black Panther party.

I immediately thought of our 21st century BLM militants and the woke movement.

Are we repeating history?

Reactions: Mr E

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think it's always wise to consider the fact that our recorded hystory is only rufly 7,000 years. Human beings in our advanced state have existed on the earth for 200,000 years. So, we as a people have seemed to have forgotten the past for some reason. Regardless of the reason we should understand that Nature is always repeating itself on every level of existence. This is the whole concept of the alpha and omega. The beggining is where the end is and so on infinity.

So, this eternal motion is forever in play. I believe that in the past we where alot better. Close to God, close to nature. Harmony. But as of this day we have swayed far from that place. We will surely suffer the consequences until we learn once more. Then time will repeat itself again.

"Everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum-swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates." - Kybalion

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Of late at least in America it seems like our culture,society,government,is making the same mistakes that led to the rise of Nazi Germany.

I'm currently watching a rerun of the investigative news show, 48 Hours. The feature is a fugitive on the run for some 40 years. George Wright.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ec 1:9The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Things do repeat, I believe, because men in their flesh do not learn from the mistakes. God has made provision for us so that we need not repeat our mistakes, but most people never take heed and continue to walk in their own ways:

Mt 7:13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mt 7:14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Joh 10:9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

many times, but not all the time.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a friend I've known for many years. When things get rough in their life they'll hum these little tunes from our childhood so to gain perspective,and help to realize they shouldn't take it all that seriously.

Row,row,row your boat.
Life is but a dream.

Reactions: Mr E

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think the correct statement is "we would like to repeat history, until we learn from it"

That said, I think God encourages us to learn from history - there are common tropes throughout history: a messenger, a chosen one, a sacrifice, a mercy, a resurrection. Each stage renews Mankind in a unique, but familiar way.

That's the point, we are not repeating history so much as we are part of the repetition (we repeat history together, not on our own)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not when it comes down to the great tribulation which was to said to be a one and done event when the Lord Jesus came to save the bride who did not make the LAW their god. Forsaking the Son of God, and God whom was the one whom had chosen the nation of Israel, though due to their backsliding and self determined choices to go against Christ, and going as far as to ban his name from being spoken in that day in age. There was that judgement which would come upon the nation of Israel, which left the material religion dead in ruins. Those 144,000 of the tribes would be taken, and the others there that remained suffered death, by the Wrath of God being poured out upon them, I believe this tribulation has occurred. This can bring one in harmony and peace with God through faith in the risen Christ by the holy spirit of God on the third day upon laying in the tomb. Knowing that, God is not mad at the world as some people may think, or say. It was God's love for the world after all, that Yahava, sent his Word, who was born in the flesh named Yeshua.

This type of history only repeats itself through a history narrative, and all us can take notes to learn from all the things mentioned within the bible, seeking out Yahava our Father, faithfully, seeking to have fellowship in faith with the Father and the Son, asking and praying about all not only all things going on in and around you and others in their life, but to worship God in spirit and truth.

There are still idols and gods today people look to, rather than the true and living God, whos name has been made known to all. Yahava, the God of Israel, the LORD. That is why it all comes down to choice in which one will choose to serve, oneself, or Yahava.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Look back and see…..flawed human nature has not changed since Adam was first tempted in the garden by two others who were likewise tempted to disobey their Creator for purely selfish reasons. The angel who became satan, was a once magnificent cherub, not the kind depicted in Catholic art as babies with wings, (can’t imagine where that came from) but mighty guardians assigned to responsible posts by God’s direction. (Gen 3:22-24) As a “covering cherub” in the garden of Eden, he was right there observing what was going on and being tempted by his own desire for worship, to take the humans away from their God and trick them into giving worship to him.

Ezekiel 28:12-17…
“This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah says:

“You were the model of perfection,
Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eʹden, the garden of God.
You were adorned with every precious stone . . . . .

14 I assigned you as the anointed covering cherub.
You were on the holy mountain of God, and you walked about among fiery stones.

15 You were faultless in your ways from the day you were created
Until unrighteousness was found in you.

16 …You became filled with violence, and you began to sin. . . .

17 Your heart became haughty because of your beauty.

You corrupted your wisdom because of your own glorious splendor”….

He wanted lower creatures who could see him as a god, because his fellow angels were equal in power and no doubt as magnificent as he was…..here was his opportunity to “be like God” and to exercise his own power over others.
James made an interesting statement that can apply to all of God’s intelligent children….

”When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone. 14 But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn sin, when it has been carried out, brings forth death.” (James 1:13-15)

And so it goes…..all satan has to do is produce an environment that fosters the wrong desires…..make suggestions, or plant seeds of doubt…..and humanity is his. Whether that is a desire for wealth or prominence…or a desire of the sexual kind, any wrong desire fostered will lead to sin and we know that it results in death.

This is why history keep repeating because Satan has no new tricks…the old ones work so well for him, and have done so since Eden. Christ’s disciples know how to identify the steps that lead to sin and avoid what causes it. e.g. Jesus said…”You heard that it was said: ‘You must not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who keeps on looking at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”…..so Jesus tells us what leads to sin so that we can “nip” any wrong desire “in the bud” and prevent a serious outcome.

A diabetic would not go shopping in a candy store, so if we know what our weaknesses are, we can take prayerful steps to avoid making that first move towards carrying out a wrong desire.

Our environment is important and what we feed our minds is also a factor. Immorality is rife in the world and Christians know that God’s moral standards do not alter, no matter what the world is doing….keeping free of improper entertainment that fosters wrong desires helps to keep our minds from descending into immorality before our bodies do. It also fosters violence so that we become immune to its shock value.
Children are raised on a steady diet of gory violence in the games they play and think nothing of it.

It is interesting to me that combat ready jet pilots are trained with videos that are just like the games that are played online…designed to dehumanize the enemy and to make taking human Ives in reality, like a wicked game.
We need to be awake as to who is ruling this world (1 John 5:19) and that he has an insatiable appetite for more victims. (1 Pet 5:8)

Last edited: