Is it true that we are saved through faith in Jesus alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is by God's grace through faith. When we become Christian's the only past that God sees is the cross. It sucks we remember our sins but we can take hold of assurance that God as removed them as far from the east is from the west. Also, as Christians, we will sin. We are not perfect and never will be in this earthly body (Jesus is our Advocate and makes intercession for us). We all grow in our faith, and we all grow the longer we walk with God and if we are following God we can be sure that God will watch over our steps and complete the good work which He began in us.

1 John 3:20 - If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

Andre

May 17, 2018
Durban
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
As Christians are we really saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone? If that's really true, then why do we have to repent for our sins? And doesn't the scripture in the Book of Revelation about unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins not inheriting the Kingdom of God contradict with the we are saved through Christ alone theory?
Hi Alison,
When we sincerely repent (asking for forgiveness of our sins) what we are actually doing is acknowledging Jesus Christ, turning to Him and asking Him to come into our life.
(Rev 3:20 [KJV])
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
And so the journey begins.
(Prov 9:10 [KJV])
The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy [is] understanding.
God Bless

Reactions: LC627 and Helen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Christians are we really saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone? If that's really true, then why do we have to repent for our sins? And doesn't the scripture in the Book of Revelation about unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins not inheriting the Kingdom of God contradict with the we are saved through Christ alone theory?

Salvation cannot be lost, but how you will be received by Him is contingent on whether or not you live by faith in Jesus Christ as your Good Shepherd in helping you to lay aside every weight & sin in running that race by your confidence in Him to finish in bringing you Home as a vessel unto honor.

Even I need His help to keep my hope on Him to help me to follow Him so that I am abiding in Him & His words as His friend to be be received by the Bridegroom when He comes.

So what you build on that foundation will be judged but that foundation will remain forever; hence your salvation. 1 Corinthians 3:10-17 If any one defiles the temple of God which is our body ( 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ) at the time the Bridegroom appears, unrepentant believers will be disqualified from attending the Marriage Supper with the Bridegroom and be left behind to face a physical death coming but still to be received as vessels unto dishonor in His House. So you have to decide how you want to be received by Him. It is not for eternal salvation, but to be saved from what is coming on the earth; Luke 12:40-49 & 2 Peter 3:1-15

God is not mocked. If a believer sows to the works of the flesh, they shall reap corruption...

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. 9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Romans 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So put your confidence in the Lord as your Good Shepherd to do His work in you to free you from your sins so you can walk with Him in the light.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure......8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: 7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Hebrews 12:1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

We can only live this reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ as we are to live by faith in Him as our Good Shepherd to help us to follow Him and not just rest in Him that we are saved since we had first believed in Him at the calling of the gospel.

So decide this day if you would rather be leaving with the Bridegroom when He comes or run the risk of unrepentant iniquity & be left behind.

2 Corinthians 6:9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

So you are saved; but do you want to be left behind when the Bridegroom comes or do you want to be ready & found abiding in Him to be willing to leave this life behind for the glorious one above?

I know I need His help to direct my footsteps, to cast down wicked imaginations, and think on good things as I even need His help to continually hope in Him for all things. So by the grace of God & by faith in Him as my Good Shepherd, I follow Him as by that same grace of God & by faith in Him, I was saved when I had believed in Him at the calling of the gospel.

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Alison,
When we sincerely repent (asking for forgiveness of our sins) what we are actually doing is acknowledging Jesus Christ, turning to Him and asking Him to come into our life.
(Rev 3:20 [KJV])
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
And so the journey begins.
(Prov 9:10 [KJV])
The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy [is] understanding.
God Bless
The word "repent", (Strong's G3340) doesn't mean asking for forgiveness of sins and it certainly doesn't mean to stop sinning (an impossibility). It simply means to change your mind, to think differently, to reconsider

Andre

May 17, 2018
Durban
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The word "repent", (Strong's G3340) doesn't mean asking for forgiveness of sins and it certainly doesn't mean to stop sinning (an impossibility). It simply means to change your mind, to think differently, to reconsider
Strictly speaking you are right. The word repent according to the dictionary is:
: to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life
: to feel regret or contrition: to change one's mind
But what happens after we have turned from our sins? Surely asking Jesus for forgiveness goes hand in hand? You make it sound like asking for forgiveness is not necessary. I'm sorry but I cannot agree with you. And another thing, I certainly did not say that repentance means to stop sinning. Where on earth did you get that idea?

verzanumi24

Advanced Member
Aug 17, 2007
New Yonk City

Not if one is disobeying Him. Jesus expacts obedience to the things He commanded.

Matthew 7:22-27 (KJV)
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

The word that is translated iniquity was translated from the Greek word Anomia and means illegality or violation of law. But not man's law. If Jesus command one to do something but the person disobeys, then that's a violation of His command.

But church people are more focused on what they are told in church, but a lot of what is said in the churches is not what Jesus commanded. They cherry pick what part in the Bible want to obey. The parts that they don't agree with they brush it aside.

Last edited:

verzanumi24

Advanced Member
Aug 17, 2007
New Yonk City
Strictly speaking you are right. The word repent according to the dictionary is:
But what happens after we have turned from our sins? Surely asking Jesus for forgiveness goes hand in hand? You make it sound like asking for forgiveness is not necessary. I'm sorry but I cannot agree with you. And another thing, I certainly did not say that repentance means to stop sinning. Where on earth did you get that idea?

In the Greek it's deeper than that.

Greek Word: μετανοέω - metanoeō = Repent

from (meta) and (noieo); to think differently or afterwards, i.e. reconsider (moral feel compunction) :- repent.

Metanoeō has to do with the mind, because real change starts in the mind. Anybody can put on an outward show of repentnce.

Last edited:

verzanumi24

Advanced Member
Aug 17, 2007
New Yonk City

If one is forgiven and have repented of, why would the person need to ask for forgiveness for something God via has already forgiven them of? There's no example in the Bible that say that after one repents, they must ask for forgiveness.....that is something that the churches made up and was never taught to the early Church in the Bible.

Of course if one did something afterwards then one can confess their sin to God and if it's sin or a wrong that one did to someone, the person can ask the one they did wrong for forgiveness.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Salvation can only be found in Christ, but salvation in Christ is not by belief alone. As you point out, one must repent of his sins, repent or perish, (Luke 13:3), therefore all the belief only in the world can never save an impenitent person. A Christian is one who has died to sin, (Romans 6:2) and one who will not repent of his sins has not died to sin.

Nor will belief alone save the person who does not confess Christ (Matthew 10:32-33; John 12:42) or who will not obey the gospel by submitting to water baptism for remission of sins. (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well you answered your own question. You listed the various kinds sinners who cannot enter the Kingdom of God. Therefore repentance is an absolute necessity.

Repentance and saving faith go hand-in-hand like two sides of the same coin. Paul sums it up in Acts 20:20,21:

And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The one who turns TO God and Christ must also turn FROM sins and idols.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation can only be found in Christ, but salvation in Christ is not by belief alone. As you point out, one must repent of his sins, repent or perish, (Luke 13:3), therefore all the belief only in the world can never save an impenitent person. A Christian is one who has died to sin, (Romans 6:2) and one who will not repent of his sins has not died to sin.

Nor will belief alone save the person who does not confess Christ (Matthew 10:32-33; John 12:42) or who will not obey the gospel by submitting to water baptism for remission of sins. (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38)

Water baptism will not save anyone. Jesus' shed blood on the cross has already paid for our sins. If a person does not believe it then they are in a state of un-belief and their sins are not paid for.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods

Water baptism will not save anyone. Jesus' shed blood on the cross has already paid for our sins. If a person does not believe it then they are in a state of un-belief and their sins are not paid for.

1 Pet 3:21-----baptism>>>>>>>>>>>saves
Acts 2:38------baptism>>>>>>>>>>>for the remission of sins
Mark 16:16----baptized>>>>>>>>>>saved
Rom 6:4-------baptized>>>>>>>>>>walk in newness of life/freed from sin>justified
Gal 3:27-------baptized>>>>>>>>>>put on Christ
Acts 22:16----baptized>>>>>>>>>>wash away sins
Matt 28:19----baptize>>>>>>>>>>how disciples are made
Jn 3:5---------water>>>>>>>>>>>enter the kingdom

Being a disciple, putting on Christ, having sins washed away/remitted, walking in newness of life, entering the kingdom of God, etc are not possible without being water baptized.

God has chosen baptism as the means by which He saves. Christ shed His blood in His death (John 19:34) and water baptism puts one into the death of Christ (Romans 6:3-5) where His blood washes away all sins (Revelation 1:5).

The connection between the blood of Christ and water baptism:

Rom 5:9 -----blood>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>saves/justifies
Mk 16:16----baptism>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>saves

Rev 1:5-------blood>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>washed from sins
Acts 22:16---baptism>>>>>>>>>>>>>>wash away thy sins

Mt 26:26-----shed blood>>>>>>>>>>>>remission of sins
Acts 2:38----be baptized>>>>>>>>>>>>remission of sins

A NT belief includes baptism:

Acts 2:41 "...they that gladly received his word were baptized"
Acts 2:44 " ...And all that believed were together"

Who were the ones that "believed" in verse 44? The one who rejected Peter's words and not baptized OR the ones who accepted Peters words and were baptized? Obviously the ones that are said to "believe" are the ones what were baptized so "believed" in verse 44 is a synecdoche where it includes baptism.

Jn 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

The Greek word pisteuo (believeth) means 'to comply' Liddell & Scott "Greek Lexicon", (Oxford, 1869, p. 1273); it's the opposite of apisteo, which means “to disobey. . . refuse to comply” (p. 175). (see John 3:36 ASV)
It is also used as a synecdoche where it includes compliance to repentance, (Luke 13:3) confession (Mt 10:32-33) and baptism (Mk 16:16).

Acts 16:33 "And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, immediately."
Acts 16:34 "And he (the jailer) brought them up into his house, and set food before them, and rejoiced greatly, with all his house, having believed in God".

The participle "having believed" of verse 34 sums up all he had just done in repenting (washing stripes) and be baptized of verse 33.
"The perfect participle depicts the state at which they arrived as a consequence of their obedience." Wayne Jackson, "Belief As Used In the Book of Acts" ChristianCourier.com | Church of Christ magazine investigating religious doctrine, Christian evidences, and ethical issues.

In 1 Pet 3:21 Peter says baptism saves but that does not mean baptism ALONE saves. Here "baptism" is also used as a synecdoche where it includes belief, repentance and confession.

Obeying the gospel of Christ:

Lastly, 2 Thess 1:8 "rendering vengeance to them that know not God, and to them that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus:"

The logical implication is one must obey the gospel of Christ to be saved, not face God's vengeance.

--1 Corinthians 15:3-4 the gospel of Christ is Christ's death, burial and resurrection.
--how does one then obey the gospel of Christ, that is, obey the historical events of Christ's death burial and resurrection?
--Romans 6:3-7 when one is water baptized the old man of sin DIES, is BURIED in a watery grave, then resurrected/raised up from that watery grave to walk in newness of life.
--therefore water baptism is a form of the death burial and resurrection of Christ and when one "obeys from the heart the form of doctrine" (Romans 6:17-18) then one is freed from sin>justified.
--there is no death, burial or resurrection, i.e., there is no form of the gospel that takes place with 'belief only' or when saying some 'sinner's prayer' of in any 'spirit baptism' therefore these things are NOT obeying the gospel of Christ.

Josiah

Jun 12, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Gospel of Justification.

By "Justification" (narrow) Protestants (generally) mean the ESTABLISHMENT of a new and different relationship with God, the GIVING of the divine gifts of spiritual life, faith in Christ as Savior, the Holy Spirit. We do NOT mean all that results of these gifts and actions by God, what CHRISTIANS (those with the gifts of life, faith and justification) are called to do (that's Sanctification in the narrow sense) - in that, there is (and always has been) essential agreement between Catholicism and (most of) Protestantism. So the debate, the issue of the Reformation, the issue that so divides Western Christianity today has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with what Christians are called to do, those WITH life/faith/Holy Spirit/Justification (as the Catholic Church itself has so powerfully stressed, it's how one RECEIVES that.

Lutherans teach that justification (narrow) is Sola Gratia - Solus Christus - Sola Fide as ONE, singular, inseparable doctrine. THIS is what the RCC so powerfully repudiates, this is what divides western Christianity and has for 500 years.

Sola Gratia (Grace Alone). “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and all this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8, see also Romans 6:23, Titus 3:5, etc.). This places emphasis that our salvation (here in the sense of narrow justification) flows from God’s heart – not ours. It is the fruit of God's works/achievements - not ours. Grace in justification is God’s unmerited, unconditional love/favor/gift. God's mercy in NOT treating us as we deserve but of God's grace in giving us what we don't deserve and did not merit.

Solus Christus (Christ Alone). “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). “There is no other name under heaven by which we may be saved” (Acts 4:12). “No one comes to the Father except by Me” (John 14:6). Christ IS our Savior and our salvation. It’s CHRIST’s perfect live, CHRIST’s perfect sacrifice, CHRIST’s triumphant resurrection! Christ is the object of our faith. In justification, it is not how much we believe or how good we believe but in Whom we believe; our focus is on the quality of Christ’s work rather than on the quality of our faith; HE is our certainty. We look to the Cross ( not in the mirror) to see the Savior. There is a life GIVER (as the ancient creed stresses) - and it's not dead self (1 John 5:11-12)

Sola Fide (Faith Alone). “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved!” (Acts 16:30-31. Also see John 3:16, Acts 10:43, etc.). This proclaims that His grace and salvation are embraced by God’s gift of faith. Faith in this context means to trust or rely upon. It means to have active confidence or reliance especially upon something “unseen” or “unproven.” It too is the gift of God.

For God so loved the world (Sola Gratia) that He gave His only begotten Son (Solus Christus) that whosoever believes in Him (Sola Fide) will not perish but has everlasting life (Justification, narrow) John 3:16

"You were dead in your trespasses and sins" (Ephesians 2:1)
“God is love!” (1 John 1:8)
“God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but has everlasting life!” (John 3:16)
“God shows His love for us in that while we were enemies, Christ died for us” (Rom. 5:8).
"This is our testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life, whoever does not have the Son does not have life" (1 John 5:11-12)
“God saved us not because of deeds done by us but in virtue of His own mercy, that we might be saved by His grace” (Titus 3:5),
“For our sake God made Jesus to be sin who knew no sin so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).
“The free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 6:23).
“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your doing but it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8).
“Everyone that believes in Christ receives forgiveness of sins through His name” (Acts 10:43)
“Sirs, what must we do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.” (Acts 16:30-31)

Our justification (narrow) is the result of GOD’S heart, will and work – not our own. Nor is this a mixture of our works and His works so that Jesus is PARTLY the Savior and we are PARTLY the Savior (synergistic Pelagianism), no, Jesus IS the SAVIOR. If it has to do with salvation (justification, narrow) then it's Jesus' doing and gift. We are to keep our hearts and faith focused squarely and only on Jesus who ALONE is THE Savior. How spiritual life is the gift of God. All this is the free gift of God, not because of what the Dead do for self lest any should have reason to boast of self and render Christ irrelevant in this regard.

A word about faith…

“For by grace you have been saved through faith in Christ, and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God” Ephesians 2:8
“We are justified by faith” Romans 5:1
“God justifies he who has faith in Jesus Christ. Romans 3:26

The word “faith” in this context means to rely, to trust. In its use here, it means to rely on Christ for Salvation (and beyond). It is the means by which we embrace the promise and the work of Christ.

Faith in this context is not just (or even primarily) a cognitive or mental thing, it means to place our trust, our life in another – to rely. When we ride in an airplane, we may not understand exactly how the plane flies – but we can board the plane and literally entrust our very lives to it. We may submit to surgery and to a surgeon whom we don’t even know (and who doesn’t know us) and have no idea what will happen – literally entrusting our very life to him/her. Trust is a key factor in lives (to not trust is to be paranoid). For a Christian, we trust our soul and much of our life to God. In salvation, we trust in His works rather than in our own, we look to HIS perfect life rather than our sinful one, to His death rather than the one we deserve. We are placing our lives in His loving hands.

Faith is not our doing, it is the ‘gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8)

Of course, this IN NO WAY is the "end" of anything, it is the START, the BEGINNING, the GRANTING of life, faith, Holy Spirit.... Once alive, once justified, we are called to many things - things that do not CAUSE faith/life/justification but REVEAL and APPLY it.

My perspective...

- Josiah

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:rolleyes:
what v is that

A lot of verses conveys that message of being willing to leave this life behind for the one above. Even I need His help for that too for why I pray.

Luke 14:15-33

Luke 21:33-36

Luke 17:30-37

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
where i would object is that you are implying that this "one above" can only begin after you have physically died, and i would start living the "one above" today wadr

Actually, none of those references suggest dying in being willing to go to the one above. Those references teaches us to be willing to go in leaving this life behind when the Bridegroom comes at the pre great tribulation rapture event. That is why Jesus is warning believers to be ready to go at any moment because Him coming back after the great tribulation will be as the King of kings in setting up His millennium reign on earth; not as the Bridegroom in receiving His bride to the reception held in Heaven in His Father's House as promised in John 14:1-3.

The consequence for not being ready in being willing to go in leaving this life behind is dying physically but will be received later on as vessels unto dishonor in His House after the great tribulation.

Suicide is far from my mind, brother. So stop worrying about that, please.

I do give my worry to the Lord as He is helping me to trust Him to keep me from my sins, to forgive me when I have sinned, and to help me not to sow to the flesh again, no matter how disappointed I am in myself for having sinned.

It is a cruel life I am living, but He is my Good Shepherd and I shall not want. Psalm 23 ~