Is it true that we are saved through faith in Jesus alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alison_P

May 12, 2018
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As Christians are we really saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone? If that's really true, then why do we have to repent for our sins? And doesn't the scripture in the Book of Revelation about unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins not inheriting the Kingdom of God contradict with the we are saved through Christ alone theory?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Christians are we really saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone? If that's really true, then why do we have to repent for our sins? And doesn't the scripture in the Book of Revelation about unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins not inheriting the Kingdom of God contradict with the we are saved through Christ alone theory?

Yes, it is true. We are saved by faith in Christ.

In our initial salvation, being born again, repentance worked simultaneously with faith. You turned to Christ, thus you were repenting. Just as (1 Thess. 1:9) says. "...how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God." Note he did not say 'how ye turned from idols to God'. That would have been a work. The turning to God and Christ in faith was itself an act of repentance.

As far as what the Scriptures says about liars, murderers, etc. etc. not inheriting the kingdom, it is true. But, you are not that anymore. God sees you in Christ. If you commit a sin such as these, you are still in Christ. And that is what God sees. In your walk of salvation you will need to repent and turn from these sins that affect your walk. (1 John 1:9).

Stranger

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YES. We are saved because Jesus atoned for, paid for, all our sins on the cross.

Here is Paul's statement as to what the gospel is.

1 Cor 15:1-8
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand,
2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you — unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, (see Isaiah 53:6)
4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,
5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve.
6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep.
7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles.
8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.
NKJV

The gospel is that Jesus atoned (paid) for all of mankind's sins on the cross. In verse 2 above we see that a person must believe it.

The religions of this world do not want people to know the truth; that God has already paid for mans sins. Our salvation is the work of Jesus on the cross. But mankind will not believe it because they love their religions in which they think they can earn their salvation by what they do in religions.

Reactions: little-dove

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
As Christians are we really saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone?
define "saved," and then define "faith," if you don't mind. Bc you could be asking either
"as Christians are we really going to an Eternal Party in the Sky with Jesus--only after we are dead, "death, more abundantly"--through believing the correct things about Jesus; assuming of course that we have first picked the correct religion?"
or
"as seekers are we really going to experience Life, More Abundantly through faith in Christ?"
If that's really true, then why do we have to repent for our sins?
sins? don't you know that as soon as you say the Magic Words you cannot sin any more?
and you can still be "in Christ" and everything!
:)

Reactions: amadeus and Truth

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
define "saved," and then define "faith," if you don't mind. Bc you could be asking either
"as Christians are we really going to an Eternal Party in the Sky with Jesus--only after we are dead, "death, more abundantly"--through believing the correct things about Jesus; assuming of course that we have first picked the correct religion?"
or
"as seekers are we really going to experience Life, More Abundantly through faith in Christ?"

sins? don't you know that as soon as you say the Magic Words you cannot sin any more?
and you can still be "in Christ" and everything!
:)

What I rely Liked was your Quote from Tolstoy. Sometime the obvious statements have the Greater Impact, Thanks

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Exodus 20 verse 1- " I am the Lord your God, Who brought you out of the Land of Egypt, out of the House of Bondage!
What God said in this passage is this,- Believe, it is not a imperative Commandment, it is an indicative Commandment!
If you do not Believe God is God, then how can you Believe that our Savior is the Son of God, So one must Have Faith to Believe that He is and that He is His Son! So Yes we are Saved by Faith, But that is the Beginning, we also must move on past the confession, baptism, and the milk of the word, striving to Become Like Our Savior, through Maturing, Growing into the Fullness and Stature of Our Savior. Yeshua [Jesus]

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Rom 4:3-6
3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."
4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

David Celebrates the Same Truth

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
NKJV

Rom 5:5-8
5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Christ in Our Peace

6 For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.
8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
NKJV

Salvation is the work of God (Jesus) on the cross where He paid for all the sins of mankind. But unless you believe, have faith in, trust in His work on the cross you can not be saved by it.

Reactions: Helen

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Son of Man may die for another's sins; the soul that sins shall die

So you are saying Jesus died for His own sins, right? He could not die for the sins of the whole world, right?????

Have you ever though that as God, Jesus could and did die on the cross for the payment of all the sins of the world.

You make a mockery of the scripture by twisting them to suit your ideas.

John 1:29
The Lamb of God (Matt 3:13-17; Mark 1:9-11; Luke 3:21,22) 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
NKJV

John 1:35-37
35 Again, the next day, John stood with two of his disciples.
36 And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said,"Behold the Lamb of God!"
37 The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.
NKJV

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So you are saying Jesus died for His own sins, right? He could not die for the sins of the whole world, right?????

Have you ever though that as God, Jesus could and did die on the cross for the payment of all the sins of the world.

all i did was Quote a Scripture, sir
that has not been nullified, plenty of NT for it too

Put on the whole armor of God, so that thou mightest be the best dressed dude at the party

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Romans 2:6
who WILL RENDER TO EACH PERSON ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS:

2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.

and we haven't even broke the ice yet

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

John 1:29
The Lamb of God (Matt 3:13-17; Mark 1:9-11; Luke 3:21,22) 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
the Lamb takes away the sin of the world the same way God hardens a Pharaoh's heart i guess, HR
iow the mechanism is not so clear from the language, which is intentionally symbolic.

Christ did not sacrifice so that you could make a single profession of intent and then a get out of jail free card for life as long as you "believe" hard enough ok, the sin of the world is not taken away with a magic wand HR, you still gotta do it, sry ok

Reactions: amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
the Lamb takes away the sin of the world the same way God hardens a Pharaoh's heart i guess, HR
iow the mechanism is not so clear from the language, which is intentionally symbolic.

Christ did not sacrifice so that you could make a single profession of intent and then a get out of jail free card for life as long as you "believe" hard enough ok, the sin of the world is not taken away with a magic wand HR, you still gotta do it, sry ok

Just for argument sake ( as for once it's nice to see a discussion on here that isn't dominated be aggressive anti-Catholics fighting with aggressive Catholic)
Okay my question then would be:-

Why , as man was not asked if he wanted to be " in Adam" ...why should he be asked if he wanted to be " In Christ"?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Why , as man was not asked if he wanted to be " in Adam" ...why should he be asked if he wanted to be " In Christ"?
amen to that. Jesus never proselytized, and in fact told ppl "count the cost."
Christ never asked anyone to follow Him, and even went to some lengths to burn off the flakes, intentionally offending many would-be followers, etc.

fwiw i never proselytize; ppl come and ask me what my doctrine is, after observation, and you know what? i still don't flip to the religious lingo-speak, almost never. i usually get to some expression of Christ pretty quick, but my whole attitude is like 180 the opposite of asking someone if they wanna get "saved" or "find Jesus." I tell them--or rather project the impression--that it isn't for most ppl, and they better count the cost first. i make sure they understand that the White Jesus down to the meetin' hall is not Who i am interested in, even if i don't resist them any more

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Why , as man was not asked if he wanted to be " in Adam"
ha plus you don't know but perhaps you did ask for your assignment, right?
what if we all chose the vessel we were born into?
"ok, i got a couple here, dad's emotionally unavailable, mom's an alcoholic; or, i got dad as an abuser, mom runs off a lot; which one you want? Either one will help you with your next step" kinda thing, who knows?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ha plus you don't know but perhaps you did ask for your assignment, right?
what if we all chose the vessel we were born into?
"ok, i got a couple here, dad's emotionally unavailable, mom's an alcoholic; or, i got dad as an abuser, mom runs off a lot; which one you want? Either one will help you with your next step" kinda thing, who knows?

Haha!! You always outsmart me in a discussion...smarty pants. :p

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
....not that it changes my mind.

I am solid on what I believe..... .......until God changes my mind for me. :D

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016