Is Jesus God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Jesus God?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomCome

Sep 13, 2010
1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Subject:

5293 upotassw hupotasso hoop-ot-as'-so

from 5259 and 5021; TDNT - 8:39,1156; v

KJV - put under 6, be subject unto 6, be subject to 5, submit (one's) self unto 5, submit (one's) self to 3, be in subjection unto 2, put in subjection under 1, misc 12; 40

1) to arrange under, to subordinate
2) to subject, put in subjection
3) to subject one's self, obey
4) to submit to one's control
5) to yield to one's admonition or advice
6) to obey, be subject
++++
A Greek military term meaning "to arrange [troop divisions] in a military fashion under the command of a leader". In non-military use, it was "a voluntary attitude of giving in, cooperating, assuming responsibility, and carrying a burden".

gino1973

Apr 30, 2011
In the Gospels, Jesus was trying to explain things that are way outside our understanding, in a way we could understand or comprehend ( if that makes sense?)
If our own existence is a mystery to us, how much more so God's?
I also love the way in which Jesus tried to hide who he really was for so long, and how the devils and evil spirits knew, but were commanded not to tell anyone.
I also find it fascinating that just before he died, Jesus asked The Father why he had foresaken him. The more I think about this, I think it was as The Holy Spirit left him, as it seemed to be a cry of humanly flesh.
Don't you just love this?? Any thoughts?
G. XX 26/03/12

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
In the Gospels, Jesus was trying to explain things that are way outside our understanding, in a way we could understand or comprehend ( if that makes sense?)
If our own existence is a mystery to us, how much more so God's?
I also love the way in which Jesus tried to hide who he really was for so long, and how the devils and evil spirits knew, but were commanded not to tell anyone.
I also find it fascinating that just before he died, Jesus asked The Father why he had foresaken him. The more I think about this, I think it was as The Holy Spirit left him, as it seemed to be a cry of humanly flesh.
Don't you just love this?? Any thoughts?
G. XX 26/03/12

Ps 22:1
1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
(KJV)

Matt 27:46
46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, 'My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?'
(KJV)

Notice anything similar about those two Scriptures???

The Psalms 22 chapter gives details of Christ's crucifixion, even about the soldiers casting lots upon His robes, His bones being out of joint from hanging on the cross, His hands and feet being pierced, etc.

That Psalms 22 chapter was given through David as prophet, roughly 1,000 years before it happened. For one learned in Ps.22 that lived to see our Lord Jesus hanging on the cross, marking those events, do you think they would have understood why He quoted that, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"

What our Lord Jesus was doing when He said that, was MARKING the events of the Psalms 22 prophecy that David was given. For those paying attention that saw His crucifixion, it was an obvious way of revealing Himself to them as The Christ.

So when I read that, well knowing it was first written back in Ps.22, I don't see it being about our Lord Jesus complaining about His suffering upon the cross, but instead that even in the throes of death, He was teaching and revealing Himself as The Son of God, The prophesied Christ.

gino1973

Apr 30, 2011
Thank you so much for that, Veteran, I really appreciate it. As I said elsewhere on the forum, I am relatively new as a Christian, and have so much more to learn. And you know what? I cannot wait!!
I LOVE THE WORD!!!
G. XX 29/03/12

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Rev. 1:8 says,

8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the
Lord God, who is (the Almighty) and who was
(the Almighty) and who is to come, the
Almighty."

The Almighty God enrobed Himself in flesh for a short period of time,
to die for the sins of the world. In essence, He lowered himself and
became obedient to the Spirit of God to be an example to the heirs of
salvation. That man was called the Son of God, who is, who was, and
who is to come, the Almighty.

Paul said it better in Phil. 2:6-9,

6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider
it robbery to be equal with God,
7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the
form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness
of men.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, He
humbled Himself and became obedient to the point
of death, even the death of the cross.
9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and
given Him the name which is above every name,

Jesus overcame as a man and the Spirit (God is a Spirit and not a man)
gave him power because of his weakness (becoming a man), he took
advantage of the opportunity just as we have opportunity today to
overcome by submitting to God's Spirit and allowing the Spirit to teach
us obedience. Hebrews 5:8-9 says,

8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience
by the things which He suffered.
9 And having been perfected, He became the
author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,

He felt just like we feel.

What a God!!!

Logabe

Spiritforce

Apr 15, 2012
Jesus is God / The Angel of the Lord in the Burning Bush who spoke with Moses.

Exodus 3:1 - Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3 So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up."
4 When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!"
And Moses said, "Here I am."
5 "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." 6 Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.

'Angel' (Hebrew ‘malak’ – Strongs 0439) means messenger, envoy or ambassador, one who is sent—whether it be an angel, a man, or Jesus Christ. The context of the passages will give us an indication about who is being spoken about.

"THE Angel" in the Burning Bush passage can certainly mean messenger (as opposed to a strict angel) since the same Hebrew word is also used as messenger in Malachi 3:1 ("Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty."

Here, the messenger of the covenant is the Lord they are seeking is the one who will come to the temple, and this is also a Messianic passage according to Jewish writings:

"What is to be the manner of Messiah's coming, and where will be the place of his first appearance? He will make his first appearance in the land of Israel, as it is written, 'the Lord whom ye seek will come suddenly to His Temple." - Rabbi Mosheh ben Maimon.

Other church fathers are on record as agreeing that it is Christ / God in the Burning Bush. Among these are Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, and Tertullian.

Whenever you see "THE". (not "a" or "an") Angel of the Lord in the Old Testament, he is talking and / or acting as God.

Jesus is Lord and God!

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Jesus is God / The Angel of the Lord in the Burning Bush who spoke with Moses.

Exodus 3:1 - Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3 So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up."
4 When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!"
And Moses said, "Here I am."
5 "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." 6 Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.

'Angel' (Hebrew ‘malak’ – Strongs 0439) means messenger, envoy or ambassador, one who is sent—whether it be an angel, a man, or Jesus Christ. The context of the passages will give us an indication about who is being spoken about.

"THE Angel" in the Burning Bush passage can certainly mean messenger (as opposed to a strict angel) since the same Hebrew word is also used as messenger in Malachi 3:1 ("Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty."

Here, the messenger of the covenant is the Lord they are seeking is the one who will come to the temple, and this is also a Messianic passage according to Jewish writings:

"What is to be the manner of Messiah's coming, and where will be the place of his first appearance? He will make his first appearance in the land of Israel, as it is written, 'the Lord whom ye seek will come suddenly to His Temple." - Rabbi Mosheh ben Maimon.

Other church fathers are on record as agreeing that it is Christ / God in the Burning Bush. Among these are Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, and Tertullian.

Whenever you see "THE". (not "a" or "an") Angel of the Lord in the Old Testament, he is talking and / or acting as God.

Jesus is Lord and God!

Good stuff! However be careful of the word Jehovah. It is a perverted word.

YHWH is what is in scripture.

Jehovah is a compound word. The combination of:

# 3050 - Yah = The shortened form for Lord.

# 1943 - hovah = Ruin, wickedness

Put them together and you see what you get.

We are not to add to the Word of God or add vowels to His name YHWH.

If you want to add some vowels add these -- yehowshuwa = Jesus

Bless you, JLB

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
lol. Most people who are around me would say that I have rather radical views actually!
You still haven't answered the question. Who raised Jesus from the dead?

God raised Jesus from the dead.

Elohim - The Godhead!

It was the Fathers will, that Jesus was raised from the dead.

Jesus spoke, the words - "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it"

The Holy Spirit brought the words spoken into manifestation.

Thanks, JLB

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Scripture is not ambiguous about Jesus being God.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

2 Cor 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1Jn 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Of the Son, Hesays,
“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.
​​​​​​​​You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God,
your God has anointed you
with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”

Hebrews 1.8-9

To wit,

that God was in Christ,

reconciling the world unto himself,

not imputing their trespasses unto them;
and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
2Co 5:19

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
Col 2:8-9

Axehead

Reactions: Groundzero

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before Moses, I AM

Case closed.

If Jesus is not God, I am a Buddhist without hope.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Hey DB,

I have no problem that Jesus was as I defined in my Page 5, Post #136.

So do you know that GOD cannot be tempted?

James 1:13
[sup]13[/sup] Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.

If Jesus was in his full GOD manifestation, exactly how was it that he WAS TEMPTED?!? :)

So until ALL Scripture agrees, you have a faulty doctrine. Please let me know when ALL Scripture agrees. :)

BibleScribe

BibleScribe,

Which one one these scriptures is true. They say exactly the opposite.

Proverbs 26:4,5

4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own eyes.

Thanks, JLB

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
I was hoping that Groundzero would get back with us and explain why he used an Islamic website to argue his point of view?

And i'm actually back! Lol. Sick atm, so stuck at home. :)

When I posted that link, it was really late at night, and I was extremely tired. I quickly scanned the article, thought that it was rather complex but definitely showed an alternative explanation. After I re-read it several days ago, I can assure everyone that that is not the view I have of the verse.

Here is what I believe is the best explanation:

Psalms 110 is talking about Jesus without a doubt. What people don't get, is that it's talking about him from a humanity perspective. It talks of him as the man anointed by God (before you scoff, answer this, was the man, Jesus Christ, anointed? Yes? Well what's the big fuss?).
This will NOT make sense unless you first understand that Jesus was both man AND God. Jesus had a dual nature: he was man and he was God at the same time. We will never understand how it could happen, but the Scriptures tell us it did.

Now, how about this:

Mat 22:41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them,
Mat 22:42 Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David.
Mat 22:43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,
Mat 22:44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?
Mat 22:45 If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?
Mat 22:46 And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.

Can you answer Jesus' question? How could he be the son (literally) of David and yet be his Lord? (btw, I think that David only recognized ONE Lord)

I can answer the question: Jesus was both man AND God (when I say God, I don't just mean god. I mean the supreme deity who rules this universe). This happened through a miraculous conception in Mary's virgin womb where God FUSED himself into a body of flesh! It's mindblowing!

1Ti_3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Lol. I was just reading all those things about Jesus being tempted. You know, Jesus being tempted is evidence of His HUMANITY. But note this, IT DOESN"T DISPROVE HIS DEITY.

Check this out:

Heb 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
Heb 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
Heb 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

God, THE ALMIGHTY GOD, took on a body of flesh, and was TEMPTED JUST LIKE I AM, so that HE KNOWS WHAT I FEEL! So he can say to me, I've been through that (literally) and I can help you OVERCOME! Jesus isn't just a distant deity, he came to earth in the flesh to experience EVERYTHING that we experience, and even MORE THAN WE WILL EVER EXPERIENCE!!!
Do you want a truly powerful Gospel? JESUS! It's the most amazing message of history! God Almighty coming to earth as a man to save us! You want a truly powerful story?! A truly powerful example? JESUS, the ALMIGHTY GOD in Flesh dying on a cross for you and me!!!
(yes, I'm a bit excited :). I'm missed out on church today, but oh well. Atm, it's just as good!)

Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are called to make good choices. Unfortunately, we are tempted to do what has worked for us in the past - being selfish and self-serving - choosing to survive on our own rather than thrive in Christ. Fortunately, Christ offers us a choice to be vulnerable - vulnerable enough to receive and give love. If we consent to the work of the Holy Spirit in our heart and practice our sanctification, we will be redeemed

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
the obvious problem some are having is with listening to all the false HUMANIST doctrines being pushed in today's Churches about our Lord Jesus Christ.

It's clear that many don't understand our makeup with how God created us, but one can learn the proper view from God's Word through study. Ecclesiastes 12:5-7 should be the start, and never, ever forgotten.

God made us each with:

a soul
a spirit
a flesh body
----------------
3 things

Per NT example, our spirit and soul are together, and cannot be separated from each other. But our spirit with soul can... be separated from our flesh body.

That is what the Eccl.12:5-7 Scripture teaches, along with the NT examples (like Matt.10:28).

So what Spirit did our Lord Jesus have? Just a simple 'spirit' like ours? No, but that of God.

And what kind of Soul did He have, one like ours? No, but that of God.

And what kind of flesh body did He have, one like ours? Yes.

THAT is the only way our Lord Jesus could be both fully God, and fully man (human).

Furthermore, The Father did not create the Soul and Spirit of Jesus Christ like He did with ours. His (Jesus) already existed, even from Eternity, and that... is the very point of the Matt.22 question our Lord Jesus posed to the blind scribes and Pharisees. They could not fathom HOW Christ could remain God and be born in the flesh at the same time. Yet it should be easy to understand once the makeup of spirit, soul, and flesh are understood in operation together. One of the ideas the Jews had that prevented that understanding, which some of them still have today, is with wrongly thinking that our 'soul' is an attribute of our flesh body. It is not. Our soul is an attribute of the heavenly order attached with our spirit. Our soul is our 'person', what makes us an individual.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Aspen... Had you asked...

1. Is Jesus the son of God.... I would have voted yes.
2. Is Jesus a God... I would have voted yes.

But to say

Is Jesus God?

A. Yes Vote... Seems to omit the Heavenly Father and the Holy Spirit.
B. No Vote... Would discredit Jesus from being part of the Holy Trinity.

So I can vote neither yes or no on the poll.

Col 2:9-10

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, [sup]10 [/sup]and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
Yes, Jesus is my Lord God. Besides Him there is no other Lord.

A no-brainer :)

(Deu 6:4) Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

(Mar 12:29) And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

(Joh 20:28) And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

(Php 2:11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

(Eph 4:5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

(Luk 2:11) For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

(Luk 24:34) Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon.

(Joh 14:7) If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
(Joh 14:8) Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
(Joh 14:9) Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

(Act 4:12) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

(Isa 44:6) Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
(Isa 44:8) Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

There you go :)
O the simplicity that is in Christ Jesus, our ONE LORD GOD!

Peace,
Whitestone

Nathantaurus90

Aug 10, 2012
Hove, England
I'm a little confused, does a Christian or followeer of God have to believe in the Trinity/Godhead in order
to be considered a proper Christian?

I've researched the trinity and am not convinced Jesus is God, but that he is the son of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.