Is leviathan a straight up fire breathing dragon?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s not, when the mysteries are presented of God, the mouths are shut, and the flesh is then restrained.

Greek: μυστήριον
Transliteration: mustērion
Pronunciation: moos-tay'-ree-on
Definition: From a derivative of μύω muō (to shutthe mouth); a secret or mystery (through the idea of silence imposed by initiation into religious rites): - mystery.
KJV Usage: mystery (27x).
Occurs: 27
In verses: 27
I believe for some he still is, but for a small select no..... though I’m not sure where I stated he was a literal fire breathing dragon.

I’ll have to look back when I get the time.

Perhaps I was vague. Your post that I referred to lays behind the link that naturally carries the title of this thread in it's foreground.

Allow me to clarify.

I asked you in the prior post: Then, do you need to rephrase your assertion in this post? My remarks appear in bold below. What I have then asked, do you need to rephrase what you said , pertains what is pasted below the bold post that is my question.
I then linked to your post in question. Pasted here.
Amazed@grace
How is your observation related to the gift of speaking in tongues?

In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God.
It’s not, when the mysteries are presented of God, the mouths are shut, and the flesh is then restrained.

Definition: From a derivative of μύω muō (to shutthe mouth); a secret or mystery (through the idea of silence imposed by initiation into religious rites): - mystery.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps I was vague. Your post that I referred to lays behind the link that naturally carries the title of this thread in it's foreground.

Allow me to clarify.

I asked you in the prior post: Then, do you need to rephrase your assertion in this post? My remarks appear in bold below. What I have then asked, do you need to rephrase what you said , pertains what is pasted below the bold post that is my question.
I then linked to your post in question. Pasted here.
Amazed@grace
How is your observation related to the gift of speaking in tongues?

In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God.

Oh, I see now. Just my opinion all of the epistles written are in regards to the restraining of the flesh. Countless times Paul references the imparting of a mystery. He even declared the kingdom doesn’t come in word but in power.. what do you believe that power is?

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I see now. Just my opinion all of the epistles written are in regards to the restraining of the flesh. Countless times Paul references the imparting of a mystery. He even declared the kingdom doesn’t come in word but in power.. what do you believe that power is?
However, the matter in question is speaking in tongues.
While Acts 2 is said to be anonymous, it is presumed that Luke authored Acts 2, not Paul.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FIRE BREATHING ANIMALS -
Plant eating Animals Expel methane gas.
Burps, from the mouth, Farts out the waste end.
Methane gas IS flammable.
Large Animals Expel larger amounts of M-gas
Groups of Large Animals Expel more.

Could a Large group of Large plant eating Animals appear to Blow Fire Breath? Sure.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FIRE BREATHING ANIMALS -

Could a Large group of Large plant eating Animals appear to Blow Fire Breath? Sure.
Interesting, what would the source of ignition be?

The Parson

May 13, 2020
East Tennessee, USA
amos8.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m still trying to understand how this thread went in the direction of acts chapter 2. The last time I posted in reference to that chapter I was banned from here for a month.
Doest thou seest the jist of my discussion in the other place of discussing??? I think you know what I'm talking about...

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FIRE BREATHING ANIMALS -

I thought the link on #2 was very good and explains how.

I will have you know as a teenager I ate an entire large maybe 28 oz jar of hot pickled sausages (like Tijuana sausages) and even through that entire week nothing could have been mistaken for literal fire
Mysterious dragon history

Reactions: Taken

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FIRE BREATHING ANIMALS -

The Hippopotamus farts through their mouth. However, to date no reports of flames accompanying that expulsion have been reported.

Much to the relief of many in the area. Crispy Crocodile's tend to have an attitude. Just saying.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From link on post #51

"This is very interesting, because there are accounts of such creatures in India going all the way back to the 1st century, when the Greek historian Strabo described fearsome winged reptiles in his book Geography: Book XV: On India, of which he says, “In India there are reptiles two cubits long with membranous wings like bats, and that they too fly by night, discharging drops of urine, or also of sweat, which putrefy the skin of anyone who is not on his guard.”

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, what would the source of ignition be?

I'm not a scientist, so just guessing...
Heat of animals themselves and gas with a low flash point.
Perhaps any lightening flashes in the area where animals are and expelled methane gas present.
Speculation ofcourse...regardless, God has used animals as a comparison of strength for men to SEE "something", more powerful than man, as is God, yet "UNSEEN".

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible describes the leviathan and what it is. A reptile, yes, but crocodiles don't breathe fire.

The atomization of water particles exhausted from their nostrils can appear as smoke maam.

If it was a fire breathing dragon literally, it obviously no longer exists. In the conversation with Job Jehovah mentioned the behemoth as well, the subject of course was not animals, but Jehovah's sovereignty, how those mighty animals are powerless against Him, and how His regulations are righteous.

Job obviously respected those creatures and their power and his helplessness to stand against them, so why would he challenge God's authority? That is the real issue at hand. satan was abusing Job and yet even at his low point he accepted counsel from Jehovah as seen in those conversations, and was blessed very much for not breaking his integrity.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a scientist, so just guessing...
Heat of animals themselves and gas with a low flash point.
Perhaps any lightening flashes in the area where animals are and expelled methane gas present.
Speculation ofcourse...regardless, God has used animals as a comparison of strength for men to SEE "something", more powerful than man, as is God, yet "UNSEEN".
I couldn’t agree more, personally I believe that the whole of it is a revelation of Christ.
Ezekiel 29:3-4,6 KJV
[3] Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord God ; Behold, I am against thee, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth in the midst of his rivers, which hath said, My river is mine own, and I have made it for myself. [4] But I will put hooks in thy jaws, and I will cause the fish of thy rivers to stick unto thy scales, and I will bring thee up out of the midst of thy rivers, and all the fish of thy rivers shall stick unto thy scales. [6] And all the inhabitants of Egypt shall know that I am the Lord, because they have been a staff of reed to the house of Israel.

Reactions: Taken

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I must apologize here, it seems that many consider it to be a whale. Here is the source of my opinion that I offered:
This Hebrew word occurs six times in the Bible. It is believed to come from a root word meaning “wreath”; hence the name indicates something that is “wreathed,” or “gathered into folds.” The word is transliterated in most Bible translations.
Since, with the exception of Job 3:8, the references mention water in connection with it, Leviathan appears to signify some form of aquatic creature of great proportions and strength, although not necessarily of one specific kind. Psalm 104:25, 26 describes it as cavorting in the sea where ships travel, and for this reason many suggest that the term here applies to some type of whale. Though whales are rare in the Mediterranean, they are not unknown there, and parts of two whale skeletons can be found in a museum at Beirut in Lebanon. An American Translation here says “crocodile” instead of Leviathan. Additionally, the word “sea” (yam) by itself is not determinative inasmuch as in Hebrew it can refer to a large inland body of water such as the Sea of Galilee (Sea of Chinnereth) (Nu 34:11; Jos 12:3), or even to the river Nile (Isa 19:5) or the Euphrates.—Jer 51:36.
The description of “Leviathan” at Job 41:1-34 aptly fits the crocodile, and the “sea” of verse 31 may refer to a river such as the Nile or another body of fresh water. It should be noted, however, that some crocodiles, as the Nile crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus), are found along the seacoast and at times go out into the sea some distance from land.

It appears the exact truth is unknown in actuality, it is just everyone's best guess, I guess. Thanks for calling me on that maam.

Reactions: Amazed@grace

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It appears the exact truth is unknown in actuality, it is just everyone's best guess, I guess.

Men, scientists, who have discovered, have seen, have seen evidence (tracks, bones, etc.) of LARGE Land or Sea animals, give their accounts according to their best descriptions, accounts, records, calling the beasts by different names...

Whatever time-frame in History, ANY man may be trying to identify, explain, name an animal creature....
* I pretty much, think, the highlight IS:
Throughout the History of mankinds existance, God has used Animals, (a thing mankind CAN SEE), as a Comparison/Parallel; TO God OF:
FEAR, STRENGTH, POWER, UNAPROACHABLE, UNTAMABLE, etc.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Robert Gwin

The Parson

May 13, 2020
East Tennessee, USA
amos8.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m still trying to understand how this thread went in the direction of acts chapter 2. The last time I posted in reference to that chapter I was banned from here for a month.
Really??? Don't you just hate it when that happens my friend? And I mean literally. Although your opinions can seem unorthodox to me from time to time, you're kinda interesting to have around... Try not to get banned. Okay???

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must apologize here, it seems that many consider it to be a whale. Here is the source of my opinion that I offered:
This Hebrew word occurs six times in the Bible. It is believed to come from a root word meaning “wreath”; hence the name indicates something that is “wreathed,” or “gathered into folds.” The word is transliterated in most Bible translations.
Since, with the exception of Job 3:8, the references mention water in connection with it, Leviathan appears to signify some form of aquatic creature of great proportions and strength, although not necessarily of one specific kind. Psalm 104:25, 26 describes it as cavorting in the sea where ships travel, and for this reason many suggest that the term here applies to some type of whale. Though whales are rare in the Mediterranean, they are not unknown there, and parts of two whale skeletons can be found in a museum at Beirut in Lebanon. An American Translation here says “crocodile” instead of Leviathan. Additionally, the word “sea” (yam) by itself is not determinative inasmuch as in Hebrew it can refer to a large inland body of water such as the Sea of Galilee (Sea of Chinnereth) (Nu 34:11; Jos 12:3), or even to the river Nile (Isa 19:5) or the Euphrates.—Jer 51:36.
The description of “Leviathan” at Job 41:1-34 aptly fits the crocodile, and the “sea” of verse 31 may refer to a river such as the Nile or another body of fresh water. It should be noted, however, that some crocodiles, as the Nile crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus), are found along the seacoast and at times go out into the sea some distance from land.

It appears the exact truth is unknown in actuality, it is just everyone's best guess, I guess. Thanks for calling me on that maam.
You're welcome. :) I had never heard of Leviathan being considered a Crocodile before your other post. This is why I sought a source for that new information.
Thank you for your reply. :)

Reactions: Robert Gwin