Is masturbation a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotamp;#39;sLot

Jun 1, 2008
Yes, masturbation is absolutely a sin. To have sexual involvement in any form which is not intended to result a child is abhorrent behavior. The pleasure received from these actions is wonderful proof of the insidious power of the devil, to give us false "pleasures". True pleasure comes only from Him on high. I find it funny that someone mentioned "Stress Relief". Why cast your eyes downwards when you can cast them up to the Lord in prayer? Trust in Him and He shall take away your temptation. I personally feel that, even married, a couple should only join in this complete act of giving when they wish to bring another child into the world. (Letsgofishing;49629)
Pray that I will not fall into temptation. Pray that I will not look in myself for the power to fight this, but to fight it for the glory of God. And lastly may you pray that one day I will gain complete purity. Your brother in Christ Ryan Fitz
You have my prayers.

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
(Lot'sLot;51467)
Yes, masturbation is absolutely a sin. To have sexual involvement in any form which is not intended to result a child is abhorrent behavior.
scripture??

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
(Aleks_Kravchuk;46477)
Masturbation is a sin.It is a sin that totally shoots down your spiritual level to the bottom. It does not bring you closer to God.
There are alot of things that dont bring us closer to God. That doesn't mean they are sinful.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
I think masturbation is evil. It doesn't glorify God, and it's like a gateway to sins. Besides, it's also addictive.

rick_men

Jun 2, 2008
Eternal arcadia asked where is the scriptural evidence for masturbation and Lot'sLot's comment: "Yes, masturbation is absolutely a sin. To have sexual involvement in any form which is not intended to result a child is abhorrent behavior.". Enternal Acrcadia should know that when God gave Man the 10 commandments, he did not give 10 so that everything else is allowed. That would mean to take the 10 commandments 'literally'. Lets reason this: If they have to be taken literally either God should have then given us 5000000 commandments explicitly mentioning them all as He would himself destroy any basis for Man's capacity for 'Reason' Knowledge and capacity to find the truth and to know God. St. Paul says, "For those things of him which are invisible, are seen - By the eye of the mind. Being understood - They are seen by them, and them only, who use their understanding" (Romans 1:20)This means Man has the capacity to know god and his requirements. God cannot be a slave to Time. He is beyond Time. Thus, He cannot make a separate 11th commandment for abortion just because abortion starting surfacing after 1900 years. Through St. Paul, we know that God and his requirements can be known. Just like, They ask the apostles ask St. Paul, "How do we know that God died for gentiles too?" he says, "Because I had a vision and a huge sheet hurled in the sky in which each animal could be eaten" He interpreted the timing of this vision when the centurion, who was a gentile who came to meet him as, God's will that Christ died for the world and not only for the circumcized. Since then Paul always insisted to all Christians that whenever you are facing any trouble, any argument over the church and if someone is misinterpreting anything, bring it to the notice of the apostles and Church elders. Since then the church has assumed responsibility given by God to instruct and reveal The word of God and interpret it. Because Jesus asked Peter to take care of his flock, we Christians and feed them i.e instruct them, give food for their soul, (i.e. basis of theology and doctrines and tenets of christianity)John 21 15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." 16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." So I have ruled out why God would not himself mention modern and novel offenses against God being revealed by Technology ect like Artificial Insemination ect. I have also eliminated the need for God to have 550 commandments confusing us if "insemination" was mentioned 2000 years back and they did not know what it meant, But atleast God knew the Church would be there 2000 years later to defend him when this word got its meaning. Why did I mention 10 Commandments. Because like anything in the Bible that is filled with allegories, visions and exegisis, it should not be taken literally. The 6/7th Commandment says: You shall not commit Adultery. Masturbation is a specific bylaw of this commandment. Infringe this commandment and its a mortal Sin. There is no woman in masturbation but it is considered a sin (Although you do commit adultery/fornication in your mind and heart). Where is fornication mentioned in the Commandment, but don't you think it is a mortal sin? why because it is mentioned in the Gospel? But fornication too is a bylaw and interepreted breach of the same commandment. I think this must have cleared the whole "why is it not mentioned in the bible"If you really want to think so hard, then let me give you some food for thought:Where is it mentioned in the the Bible, that the Bible 'alone' is the sole authority to know God, God's requirment, God's will, God's love, God's Commandment and ect in general, Truth(s). But let me give you a head start. If I ask you what is your foundation of Truth, what would you say? If for everything you look to the bible alone radically and fundamentally dependent on the bible (in its strictest sense) then you would say and rightly should say: The Bible, Word of God ect. Here what the Bible itself says in 1 Timothy 3: 14 (St. Paul to Timothy)14 Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, 15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.So Remember There is participation in writing the Bible (inspired word of God) but there is no gross errancy. Thus there is no theological blunder. But that doesn't mean All that God had to say to us comes to an end with the Bible, only that All that God has to say to us begins and is inspired in us to reach everything else through the Bible. Thus the Church takes on the responsibility of continuing the work of St. Paul and the elders. Why should you find then the biblical evidence for say, "Is it wrong to keep playing outside the window of a person's house when someone is studying for his exams?" I doubt you will find it in the bible and in the commandments. You will have take refuge in the our elders, the first, the fathers, The church.

rick_men

Jun 2, 2008
Eternal arcadia also said: There are alot of things that dont bring us closer to God. That doesn't mean they are sinful.Please do not fall prey to: If I don't do according to how i think, I will think according to how I doSaints in the past have said: Take away from me those things that take me away from Youanything that does not bring you close to God, you should question then why do you indulge in it. All good things come from God, here is what the scripture says: James 1:17 - Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. (Can't belive i have become so mindful that i am qouting everything)Everything we do, we do to bring God glory, Tell me what exists in this world that is good but doesn't bring God glory? everything in this world that is good and comes from god can be sanctified e.g. play, sports, study, listening, working, laughing, crying, mourning, feeling, loveing list goes on and on. Good things. Don't you want to live only to do good things. We all are called to holiness. Sanctification in the middle of the world. Why? Galatians says, "It is not I that live but Christ that lives in I" That means we have to live in such a way that we are deserving to have Christ in us, like saints. How is it then we can afford to do things that don't bring us closer to God. Unless you do bad things, you choose to do them. Even if I do agree for once that OK, just because a thing doesn't bring you closer to god doesn;t mean its sinful, how that suppose to justify masturbation not being sinful? Are you first convinced that masturbation is not sinful then trying to reason? Thinking according to doing, do according to thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.