Is Orthodoxy without Orthopraxy possible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Orthodoxy is conforming to correct Christian doctrine or belief. Orthopraxy is conforming to correct Christian doctrine or belief in practice. James puts it succinctly -

"But someone will say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder." (Jas 2:18-19 NRSV)

This section in James shows that to be justified, or shown to be right, correct or true; the works show it. Can one claim to believe true biblical doctrine if their life does not show it?

James, 2000 years ago, stated a basis of the modern concept of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT), which shows that our moods, emotions and behavior are based upon our beliefs. If someone's life does not match his professed Christian orthodoxy, is he a hypocrite? Or can some variation be caused by psychological or personality problems? Do the situations one is going through cause a less than perfect match between belief and practice? Can "I'm a work in progress" be a cop out?

Isn't it more important to carefully examine ourselves on this matter, rather than allowing others to judge us? That seems to be what Peter is telling us in 2 Peter 1:3-11. Then again, an overly sensitive Christian may be his own worst unforgiving judge.

This post was put in my mind by a column in Christian headlines dot com -

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Orthodoxy is conforming to correct Christian doctrine or belief. Orthopraxy is conforming to correct Christian doctrine or belief in practice. James puts it succinctly -
Hebrews puts a fine point to this . . .

Hebrews 5:13-14 KJV
13) For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14) But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

When you use what you know, you can come to understand more.

And while there seems to me to be endless debate over orthodoxy, orthopraxy, on the other hand, it's simple, and I think there is near universal agreement.

Not about water baptism or the eucharist, for instance, but specifically what we do to serve others. I might dispute all day long with a man over doctrines, but we can stand together in love serving food to the hungry, or whatever it is God has equipped us to do.

I don't think the pathway to unity is in all coming to the same doctrines about everything, I think it's in us all coming to the same love for each other, regardless of where we believe there is error.

Much love!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do any on this Forum embrace the key doctrine of Christian orthodoxy that keeps the Unitarians, Branhamists, Frankists Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and Oneness Pentecostals out of even the liberal, National Council of Churches? Member Communions – National Council of Churches

By the "key doctrine" I of course refer to that taught in the Three Ecumenical Creeds. How many, if any on this, Forum would embrace those Ecumenical Creeds as true biblical and Christian orthodoxy?

Do any embrace the foundational Confessions coming out of the Protestant Reformation such as the Lutheran Formula of Concord, 39 Articles of the Church of England, Westminster Confessions, the First and Second London Confession of Baptists, etc.

It appears to me that the prediction of the Roman Catholic Church has come true -
"Some spoke of Protestantism as being devoted to the right of private judgment. Roman Catholics warned that believers who did not submit to church authority would issue as many concepts of essence as there were believers to make the claims." Ency. Britannica

By "church authority" I do not mean the RCC, but the Protestant orthodoxy of the 16th and 17th century. By reading this Forum, and reading Christian news online, it seems that the RCC prediction has come true.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Free choice remains to be exercised. A person chooses to believe, and also chooses to behave—and one can make
the first choice yet not make the second in harmony with the first.”

“But if a man truly believes something, surely he will act in accordance with that belief.” Now it was I who was beginning to sound like Timothy. “If one behaves other than in accordance with one’s professed belief, does that not betray the belief as not truly held to begin with?”

“You confuse faith with faithfulness, Mark. We do not cast off human flaws and weaknesses simply by believing in the saving gospel of Jesus of Nazareth. By that faith the slate is instantly wiped clean—and handed back to us. How we will write on it after that is up to each of us, with all our flaws and frailties, but also with the saving grace of God to help us overcome them.”